Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Favorite comic arc

Which one is your favorite arc  

11 users have voted

1. 1. Choose an arc

• Chrysalis ARC (First arc)
    • Nightmare Rarity ARC ( Second arc)
    • Reflections ARC (Third arc)

Yep. Out of the following comic arcs, which is the best? 

1) Chrysalis ARC

2) Nightmare Rarity ARC

3) Reflections ARC

Don't forget t give out reason about why you like them!

Edited by Guest

Of those, Reflections is by far my favorite, followed by Chrysalis and then Nightmare Rarity.

Reflections was just such a well done arc.  First of all, I think it was an astonishing piece of character development for Celestia.  One thing I'm very particular about is the fact that every character has to be flawed.  Perfect characters simply don't work well in shows, and while I've enjoyed Celestia in the show, she hasn't gotten much development outside of her leadership role to show that she really is a normal character who makes mistakes.  I think this arc did loads to help that and show us that she did make mistakes and has simply learned over the years from her mistakes.  It makes her character so much more believable.

On the subject of Celestia, I loved how vulnerable she was in this.  She had to go to the mane 6 who look up to her and see her as perfect, and tell them about her mistakes so they could help.  I absolutely adored seeing Celestia put in that position.  The emotion behind this run of the comic was just overwhelming and so well done.

On top of this the humor was great.  Having little things like Discord being a good guy, the mane 6 being evil, and the amazing little mini-comic at the end of the arc really made the arc for me.  It flawlessly mixed humor in with some really touching dramatic moments.

Plus I can't stress enough how much I loved the mixed use of genres.  I've always said one of the things I adore about MLP is that it doesn't just stick to one genre... it mixes things up, and this comic was no exception.  It had drama, action, comedy, romance, mystery and even a little sci-fi all packed into one comic.  Just absolutely fantastic.

On top of all this we have character development for the one bad guy in the entire series we know next to nothing about.  Granted it was an AU counterpart, but it was development none the less.

Overall it was just an amazing arc and while I loved Chrysalis as well, this one just knocked it out of the park for me.

• Brohoof 3

Of those, Reflections is by far my favorite, followed by Chrysalis and then Nightmare Rarity.

Reflections was just such a well done arc.  First of all, I think it was an astonishing piece of character development for Celestia.  One thing I'm very particular about is the fact that every character has to be flawed.  Perfect characters simply don't work well in shows, and while I've enjoyed Celestia in the show, she hasn't gotten much development outside of her leadership role to show that she really is a normal character who makes mistakes.  I think this arc did loads to help that and show us that she did make mistakes and has simply learned over the years from her mistakes.  It makes her character so much more believable.

On the subject of Celestia, I loved how vulnerable she was in this.  She had to go to the mane 6 who look up to her and see her as perfect, and tell them about her mistakes so they could help.  I absolutely adored seeing Celestia put in that position.  The emotion behind this run of the comic was just overwhelming and so well done.

On top of this the humor was great.  Having little things like Discord being a good guy, the mane 6 being evil, and the amazing little mini-comic at the end of the arc really made the arc for me.  It flawlessly mixed humor in with some really touching dramatic moments.

Plus I can't stress enough how much I loved the mixed use of genres.  I've always said one of the things I adore about MLP is that it doesn't just stick to one genre... it mixes things up, and this comic was no exception.  It had drama, action, comedy, romance, mystery and even a little sci-fi all packed into one comic.  Just absolutely fantastic.

On top of all this we have character development for the one bad guy in the entire series we know next to nothing about.  Granted it was an AU counterpart, but it was development none the less.

Overall it was just an amazing arc and while I loved Chrysalis as well, this one just knocked it out of the park for me.

You, my good sir, took the words right out of my mouth!

Plus, I LOVED how Sombra was portrayed, and the ending always breaks my heart. True love shown through sacrifice.

I also enjoyed Star Swirl, and I can totally see him being like this in the show.

Overall, it was a great, enjoyable arc!

• Brohoof 1

I would have to say the return of Chrysalils. It was the first arc the comic did, and really set the tone for the further arcs. It started off with a bang, having the Changelings consume an entire race of sapient felines, and then begin their return to Equestria. While the arc did have some issues in the pacing of the 3rd act, seeing the changelings act more like the stealth bases infiltraters they should be as a race of shapesifters was amazing and a great depature from the brute force attack of A Canterlot Wedding. There was also great dialoge between big C and the CMC, with them taunting her and her being terrifing in return. Overall it was a great begin to the comics, and thankfully lacked the rather poor "meta" humor of other major acrs like reflections.

• Brohoof 1

1. Return of Queen Chysalis

2. Reflections

3. Nightmare Rarity

The first arc is special to me, because I read it when I was just starting to get into MLP. I was really unsure if I wanted to get the comics at all, I thought spin off material would probably be bad. I got it anyway and I was like, "oh shit, this is great". The humor was awesome, I remember seeing a reference to Indiana Jones and the temple of Doom ponyfied and laughing out loud. The conflict and characters were engaging. Just really solid all around.

The thing I liked most about Reflections was Celestia. She always seemed like a really flat character to me. As a result, I never cared about her. Getting some actual characterization was a breath of fresh air, and made me care more about her. I thought the backstory with her and Starswirl the bearded (great to learn more about him, by the way) was really well done. The only problem I had with this arc is that they spent so much time on the backstory that the actual events came off a little unsatisfying. I was also pretty diss appointed that the alternate mane 6 were absent. Missed opportunity there.

I don't remember much about Nightmatre Rarity, save that I remember likening it. (I gotta retread it soon. Actually, I gotta retread all of them soon.) I do remember that there were some good Spike and Rarity interactions.

• Brohoof 1

Return of Chrysalis - I'm one of Nightmare Rarity's most outspoken critics and I will not hesitate at all to call it my least favorite thing in the FiM universe. They took one of the most 3-dimensional characters in the show and made her into a flat villain with extremely troped dialogue, and even threw in a recycled concept that they blatantly failed to breathe much life into. I had high hopes for this comic, since it looked badass from outside of the pages, but it ended up being so awful that I removed the digital copy I had from my device all together. I felt jipped, and I wish I could have the money I spent on it back.

So, yeahh, it definitely isn't the Nightmare Rarity arc, and since I haven't read the Reflections arc, it's an easy pick for me :D

• Brohoof 1

Reflections is my personal favorite. To put it simply, it made Princess Celestia, Luna and Sombra better and more well-rounded characters who had problems, concerns and lives outside of royalty. The story was strong and it made sense. The sacrifice towards the end was also quite shocking; considering My Little Pony normally ends on a very happy note. But this really wasn't a Mane 6 centric story as much as it was a character study of the royals who effect their lives so much. 

I actually want to see more CelestiaXSombra in future issues. Their romance was so sweet... I can't believe they aren't together like they should be. It's tragic!

1. 'Manehattan Mysteries': the newest but is appearing to be easily among the best arcs I've read for how well made the story was and of how Trixie and Babs Seed emerge as better characters from it.

2. 'Zen and the art of Gazeebo repair': A hilarious tale of how Big Mac tries to find the nails to fix his Gazeebo and along the way meets up with every noted background pony of fame in a fair, meets Princess Celestia and Luna, and even have a mane 6 adventure successfully woven into the background, help make this comic endearing.

3. 'Return of Queen Chrysalis': A great way to start of the IDW FIM line where we see the return of a darker Queen Chrysalis as the mane 6 trek through another adventure to defeat her a 2nd time to save the CMC's from her clutches.

4. 'Neigh anything': A tale of how Shining Armor and Cadence first hooked up together was shown rather effectively and often humorously, though it was a rather cliched high school geek tries to win the heart of the school's most popular beauty's heart over the top school jock and the high school setting itself felt out of place in Equestria if what Twilight's unfamiliarity with High School from 'EQG' has anything to say about it.

5. 'Bookworm arc': Heather Nuhfer's best arc she's written for MLP comics as seeing the many book references and seeing Rarity's, Pinkie Pie's, and Rainbow Dash's favorite stories being brought to life with them as cosplayers was good. Just unfortunate that it was hampered by a weaker side plot and a weak stock villain as well.

6. 'Nightmare Rarity arc': It had a nice design for Nightmare Rarity that has proven popular with the artists here in this fandom. Just too bad the villain itself was rather unimpressive, the fact the Nightmare forces being separate from Luna felt like an excuse for Luna's actions as NMM, a contrived ending, and Rarity acting like an idiot damsel simply because 'My friends don't like me' made this arc weak-sauce.

7. 'My little pirate', friendship ahoy arc: Much like the concept of Nightmare Rarity being ruined by bad execution and such, the interesting idea of FIM meeting One Piece gets ruined by a contrived and stupid plot that held little reason for why the mane 6 should've bothered to be in the arc other than to have them dress up as pirates. Also messes up the 'Rarity fights a giant enemy crab' meme as well.

8. 'Reflections' arc: In respect to everyone around here who likes this arc, I absolutely despise this arc for a whole slew of reasons I've written countless of times in my review blogs.

• Brohoof 1