Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming World of Warcraft fans, i need your help!

Espurr

Wait! What? Why?!

I mean, I'm not so heavily invested in my guild in the first place for me to be disappointed, but what about those features did Blizzard consider bad?

There were guilds that invited lowbies leveling their way through Azeroth simply to lift money off of them via Cash Flow. As such, quality of guilds dropped.

• Brohoof 1

So I sort knew about World of Warcraft for a long time, but I've never been interested in it until now. It was a cool video that I saw and it got me interested. But I know practically nothing about it. Nothing about the races or classes or how to download it or how it works, practically nothing. So here's where you guys come in. I know there are a few WoW fans on here and I'd like to know everything. Because sometimes when you type a question in google it gives you the complicated answer. I'd like a simple answer so what better way to get it than to get it from people who know what they're doing.

Anyways if you're looking at this, I'd really appreciate a reply. You don't have to, but I'd love to get something. Thanks in advance! Also if this doesn't seem clear or you'd like a specific question just tell me below! I'll probably see it eventually.

World of Warcraft is great, but...

Play on a Private Server. Trust me, it's much better that way. And, it's free.

Correct me if in wrong, but aren't private servers ghost towns? I don't see the point in playing the game without other people.

Also, isn't it illegal?

Correct me if in wrong, but aren't private servers ghost towns? I don't see the point in playing the game without other people.

Also, isn't it illegal?

I think that's exactly his point. He'd rather play WoW like it's a standard RPG rather than an MMO one. I can see the point, but I wouldn't be able to because then I wouldn't ever be able to RP with another person, which is a huge part of why I play.

Guild's are started by a player. They buy a "Guild Charter", create a name for it, and have to find a few people to sign it. When it's formed, the guild leader has control of the Guild Bank (generally used to store items needed for raiding), can create a Guild Tabard (a piece of clothing that can have a unique crest applied to it), all this among other tasks.

You don't "have" to be in a guild, but it's nice to be in one to have others to make friends with each other and form groups easier. A guild can just be friends who chat, people who set up their own raid teams, people who PvP with each other, etc.

(By the way, there is currently a "Guild Leveling System" in place, but it's getting removed in the upcoming expansion, so it isn't really worth considering anymore)

What did the Guild Leveling System do?

What did the Guild Leveling System do?

Essentially, the higher level a guild, the more additional bonuses it's members would receive. Gaining more experience and thus leveling up faster, items from the guild vault, etc.

Essentially, the higher level a guild, the more additional bonuses it's members would receive. Gaining more experience and thus leveling up faster, items from the guild vault, etc.

There were guilds that invited lowbies leveling their way through Azeroth simply to lift money off of them via Cash Flow. As such, quality of guilds dropped.

Also, isn't it illegal?

Just quoting as many as possible...

Um. Steel Accord put up a link earlier in this topic and it was about how to make a new account and how the game would be free until level 20. Well, I also heard elsewhere that the game is free after 30 days. Which one is better? Which one is which? Which one would be right for someone new?

• Brohoof 1

Um. Steel Accord put up a link earlier in this topic and it was about how to make a new account and how the game would be free until level 20. Well, I also heard elsewhere that the game is free after 30 days. Which one is better? Which one is which? Which one would be right for someone new?

Yeah wish I could help you on that one, but as I said, not the tech guy.

I'd pick the one that is free for a month, if you have the option. That should be plenty of time to get a feel for the game and to see if you like it.

• Brohoof 1

I'd pick the one that is free for a month, if you have the option. That should be plenty of time to get a feel for the game and to see if you like it.

If you have a friend who plays it on the forums or real life look into the refer a friend program. Lots of perks as for pricing you can get the base game which includes 3 expacs and theb mists is i think 20 bucks. It isnt that pricy to jump in.

Wait! What? Why?!

I mean, I'm not so heavily invested in my guild in the first place for me to be disappointed, but what about those features did Blizzard consider bad?

I didn't like the system personally. It made me feel like I HAD to be in a level 25 guild. I couldn't make my own unless I wanted to get a bunch of low levels to level up the guild with me. Now we won't see people spamming in trade "LF Lvl 25 guild, PST".

Also, isn't it illegal?

There are a few private servers with a large population. They aren't illegal to play, but the people who run them are illegally using Blizzard's software to make a profit (since they ask for donations). I've played on several private servers, and I must say they're generally plagued with lag and are very unstable. Not to mention unbalanced if you don't donate.

• Brohoof 1

I didn't like the system personally. It made me feel like I HAD to be in a level 25 guild. I couldn't make my own unless I wanted to get a bunch of low levels to level up the guild with me. Now we won't see people spamming in trade "LF Lvl 25 guild, PST".

Actually, I've been considering starting my own guild, but people convinced me not to because of the upcoming expansion. Any tips you could offer as to what I could do to start and get it going?

Actually, I've been considering starting my own guild, but people convinced me not to because of the upcoming expansion. Any tips you could offer as to what I could do to start and get it going?

There are a few private servers with a large population. They aren't illegal to play, but the people who run them are illegally using Blizzard's software to make a profit (since they ask for donations). I've played on several private servers, and I must say they're generally plagued with lag and are very unstable. Not to mention unbalanced if you don't donate.

So... I realized I wanted to do magic. That left me with shaman, mage or warlock. Warlock sounds evil. So I was left with shaman or mage. But I found out some things about it. Shaman is basically a lot of defense and no attack. Mage is a lot of attack and no defense. That's at least how I interpret it. So maybe if one of you use a mage or shaman, does anybody want to give me some advice for perhaps which one I should use?

• Brohoof 1

So... I realized I wanted to do magic. That left me with shaman, mage or warlock. Warlock sounds evil. So I was left with shaman or mage. But I found out some things about it. Shaman is basically a lot of defense and no attack. Mage is a lot of attack and no defense. That's at least how I interpret it. So maybe if one of you use a mage or shaman, does anybody want to give me some advice for perhaps which one I should use?

Well first of all, Warlocks aren't strictly evil. They do deal with demons and other such dark forces, but depending on how you play it, they can sort of a have a philosophy of "fight Hellfire with Hellfire."

Between the two though. Shamans have a bit more versatility. An elemental specialized shaman is a long range devastator, being able to chain lightning most foes while an enhancement one has a bit more melee options, wreathing their weapons in fire.

Mages defensive capabilities are more focused on controlling the enemy. Freezing them in place with ice magic or distracting them with an illusion.

Edited by Steel Accord

If you have a friend who plays it on the forums or real life look into the refer a friend program. Lots of perks as for pricing you can get the base game which includes 3 expacs and theb mists is i think 20 bucks. It isnt that pricy to jump in.

Yeah wish I could help you on that one, but as I said, not the tech guy.

Guild's are started by a player. They buy a "Guild Charter", create a name for it, and have to find a few people to sign it. When it's formed, the guild leader has control of the Guild Bank (generally used to store items needed for raiding), can create a Guild Tabard (a piece of clothing that can have a unique crest applied to it), all this among other tasks.

You don't "have" to be in a guild, but it's nice to be in one to have others to make friends with each other and form groups easier. A guild can just be friends who chat, people who set up their own raid teams, people who PvP with each other, etc.

(By the way, there is currently a "Guild Leveling System" in place, but it's getting removed in the upcoming expansion, so it isn't really worth considering anymore)

Are hunters any good? What about Warlocks? I know I said I wanted to do magic. But maybe not. Perhaps fighting outright is ok too. So between hunters and warriors which would you say are the best.

Are hunters any good? What about Warlocks? I know I said I wanted to do magic. But maybe not. Perhaps fighting outright is ok too. So between hunters and warriors which would you say are the best.

Hunters are the current flavor of the month, if you want a bit of diversity id go warrior if you want to have the ability to tank if you wanted to.

Every class is viable, so I wouldn't worry about which class is best. I would pick the class that sounds coolest to you and go from there, and not worry about which one is the best one. You'll probably have more fun that way.

That said, leveling up as a hunter is basically easy mode.

Edited by Banul
  • Brohoof 1

Between the two are a multitude of options. Shamans, magi, and such usually come from a specific operating standpoint. Both hunters and warriors can be interpreted differently across the various races though. Again, this also comes down to which race you are choosing to give your character more identity.

Warriors are ubiquitous across all races because for every race, their is always a soldier willing to fight for it.

Human warriors could be a sort of military type, the old soldier or the fresh recruit. They could also be the knight in shining armor out to defend the land. Or they could just be the City Watch. You see guards all around the various capital cities, it might be interesting to play one of those who's just left his post to go adventuring.

Orc warriors may or may not be "soldiers" as we understand them. The Orcs have a long warrior tradition, it's endemic to their cultural identity. Even their Shamans or other mystics are expected to be good in a fight. So an Orc warrior isn't just fighting for the present cause, he's holding up the will of the Ancestors, whom the Orcs worship.

Night Elven warriors are interesting, as for the longest time, they were only women. The Sentinels are their formal military and that is attached to the worship of their goddess Elune. While only males were permitted to be druids. Recently, those restrictions have lessened because of a population decrease and loss of their immortality. So a male Night Elven warrior might have something to prove amongst his peers.

Blood Elven warriors face a different kind of challenge. For the Sin'dorei, magic is everything. It maintains their lands, the study of it is something they are brought up on, and arcanists or other mystics hold considerable status among them. So anyone who's choosing to forsake magic in favor of weaponry, or lacks proficiency in magic so is forced to rely on them, might be looked down upon at best and outright ostracized at worst. 

Hunters are different. Not practiced by as many races, but those who do typically are closer to their primal roots.

Amongst the Tauren, hunters are not just those who provide food, they are as revered as Chiefs. (In fact, there's very little prejudice when it comes to class amongst the Tauren.) For the Tauren, hunting is something that is done as a rite of adulthood, and carrying it on further into life is a choice many see as a mature one. Hunting is sacred to them, in a very, circle of life, give and take, fashion.

The Goblins, on the other hand . . . . well for a people who's main motivation is the acquisition of more personal power, you can imagine what a hunter from them might be like. The pith helmeted, Great White Hunter or poacher of wildlife is actually not too far off from what might be expected. In a slightly lighter tone, a Goblin hunter might just be a gunman. Someone who loves his guns and just wants to shoot things. Amongst the Goblins, he's not particularly ambitious, but hardly the black sheep for making things go boom.

The Draenei hunters are a bit of a mystery, like most about the Draenei. It could be that they picked up hunting techniques from the Orcs on Dreanor, or it could be something older to them. When you think about it, the Draenei have been hopping from world to world for a very long time. During that time, it would make sense that some would develop techniques for scouting and animal husbandry to make sense of the new worlds they come to.

More interpretations exist, but I think you get the idea. Blizzard has done a good job at balancing the classes. There is no magical formula for beginners in this game apart from just playing in the starting area where you spawn. Again, I can't stress enough that your enjoyment for class and race selection must come down to what you think you'd enjoy playing as.

I can only provide context so that you make an informed choice, but the choice must ultimately be yours. (Don't sweat it too much of course, it's not like you can only create one character.)

If you want my personal recommendation though. For someone who enjoys magic and likes a red/fire motif, the Blood Elves would actually be a pretty good fit.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

Ask me anything you like, i've played since Vanilla, leveled all classes to cap, I do PvP and PvE and I know the Lore, so basically any question you have throw it at me. :P

Between the two are a multitude of options. Shamans, magi, and such usually come from a specific operating standpoint. Both hunters and warriors can be interpreted differently across the various races though. Again, this also comes down to which race you are choosing to give your character more identity.

Warriors are ubiquitous across all races because for every race, their is always a soldier willing to fight for it.

Human warriors could be a sort of military type, the old soldier or the fresh recruit. They could also be the knight in shining armor out to defend the land. Or they could just be the City Watch. You see guards all around the various capital cities, it might be interesting to play one of those who's just left his post to go adventuring.

Orc warriors may or may not be "soldiers" as we understand them. The Orcs have a long warrior tradition, it's endemic to their cultural identity. Even their Shamans or other mystics are expected to be good in a fight. So an Orc warrior isn't just fighting for the present cause, he's holding up the will of the Ancestors, whom the Orcs worship.

Night Elven warriors are interesting, as for the longest time, they were only women. The Sentinels are their formal military and that is attached to the worship of their goddess Elune. While only males were permitted to be druids. Recently, those restrictions have lessened because of a population decrease and loss of their immortality. So a male Night Elven warrior might have something to prove amongst his peers.

Blood Elven warriors face a different kind of challenge. For the Sin'dorei, magic is everything. It maintains their lands, the study of it is something they are brought up on, and arcanists or other mystics hold considerable status among them. So anyone who's choosing to forsake magic in favor of weaponry, or lacks proficiency in magic so is forced to rely on them, might be looked down upon at best and outright ostracized at worst. 

Hunters are different. Not practiced by as many races, but those who do typically are closer to their primal roots.

Amongst the Tauren, hunters are not just those who provide food, they are as revered as Chiefs. (In fact, there's very little prejudice when it comes to class amongst the Tauren.) For the Tauren, hunting is something that is done as a rite of adulthood, and carrying it on further into life is a choice many see as a mature one. Hunting is sacred to them, in a very, circle of life, give and take, fashion.

The Goblins, on the other hand . . . . well for a people who's main motivation is the acquisition of more personal power, you can imagine what a hunter from them might be like. The pith helmeted, Great White Hunter or poacher of wildlife is actually not too far off from what might be expected. In a slightly lighter tone, a Goblin hunter might just be a gunman. Someone who loves his guns and just wants to shoot things. Amongst the Goblins, he's not particularly ambitious, but hardly the black sheep for making things go boom.

The Draenei hunters are a bit of a mystery, like most about the Draenei. It could be that they picked up hunting techniques from the Orcs on Dreanor, or it could be something older to them. When you think about it, the Draenei have been hopping from world to world for a very long time. During that time, it would make sense that some would develop techniques for scouting and animal husbandry to make sense of the new worlds they come to.

More interpretations exist, but I think you get the idea. Blizzard has done a good job at balancing the classes. There is no magical formula for beginners in this game apart from just playing in the starting area where you spawn. Again, I can't stress enough that your enjoyment for class and race selection must come down to what you think you'd enjoy playing as.

I can only provide context so that you make an informed choice, but the choice must ultimately be yours. (Don't sweat it too much of course, it's not like you can only create one character.)

If you want my personal recommendation though. For someone who enjoys magic and likes a red/fire motif, the Blood Elves would actually be a pretty good fit.

Every class is viable, so I wouldn't worry about which class is best. I would pick the class that sounds coolest to you and go from there, and not worry about which one is the best one. You'll probably have more fun that way.

That said, leveling up as a hunter is basically easy mode.

So I basically decided to give the game a go with two things I would like to ask/ say.

Thanks so much for answering my questions! And I know a microphone can be used for voice chat, but do I have to use it?

Edited by Star Ruby
  • Brohoof 2

So I basically decided to give the game a go with two things I would like to ask/ say.

Thanks so much for answering my questions! And I know a microphone can be used for voice chat, but do I have to use it?

No it's not required. You can type to communicate with other players. In addition, voice chat draws attention to the artifice and kind of breaks the immersion of that game's world.

Might I ask what you decided upon with your race and class?

No it's not required. You can type to communicate with other players. In addition, voice chat draws attention to the artifice and kind of breaks the immersion of that game's world.

Might I ask what you decided upon with your race and class?

I'm going with Pandaren and mage.

• Brohoof 3

Yay for Pandas! My second favorite character is a female Panda warrior, she is a badass! I wasn't really a fan of the race at first, but Liu Flameheart in Temple of the Jade Serpent inspired me to make one, and I never looked back! :)

Edited by Jaref
  • Brohoof 2