Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Silverhoof

Names For The Bat Ponies  

105 users have voted

1. 1. What Should The Bat Ponies Be Called?

• Thestrals
    • Nocturnes
    • Vamponies
    • Lunar Pegasai
    • Other?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My Bat Pony Homebrew for Tails of Equestria - The Storytelling Game

external image

Typical Bat pony
Body: D8 Mind: D6 Charm: D6 Stamina: 14
Talents: Fly (D6), Night Vision* (D4), Stout Heart (D4), Pick one appropriate Cutie Mark talent
Quirks: Weakness: Bright Light (D6), Choose one

Accustomed to the harsh winds of the Trotsylvanian Alps, Bat ponies are strong flyers--though not as agile as Pegasi--with bat-like wings, tufted ears and cat-like eyes with slit pupils that allow them to see very well at night. They typically have gray coats, black wings and dark-colored manes and tails, though other coat and mane colors do occur. It's true that Bat ponies have fangs, mostly used for sucking the juice out of fruits--a favorite being mangoes. Bat ponies dwell in a chain of mountains located east of Equestria, and might be related to Pegasi (though Bat ponies themselves dispute this). Bat ponies make up the Night Guard of Princess Luna.

Bat ponies are nocturnal by nature. Prolonged, unprotected exposure to sunlight or other bright light can cause blindness that lasts from several hours up to a couple of days. Their unusual appearance and nocturnal habits, combined with a reputation for fierceness, have given rise to the rumor that Bat ponies are vampires; however, this is just a tall tale spread by superstitious ponies. Other names: Cavalum; Noctral(s); Sarosian(s); Thestral(s).

* Talent: Night Vision. A pony with this talent can see very well in the dark, though not in complete blackness. The downside is that the pony also gains the quirk of Weakness: Bright Light.

This write-up is largely inspired by the fanfic "Interview with a Batpony" by Gulheru. I highly recommend checking it out: https://www.youtube.com/redirect?redir_token=ctyAr4MpNi1pL5R... 

I opted not to give Bat Ponies the talent of Echolocation, but your mileage may vary (subject to GM approval). I probably would give it to "Flutterbat" because of her unusual circumstances! 

Talent: Echolocation (Creature only). The creature who possesses echolocation is able to use ultrasound to send out signals that bounce off of objects to let her "see" at night and even in complete darkness (colors cannot be distinguished). Treat as Truesight against invisible creatures: You automatically succeed at tests to see invisible creatures who have an Invisibility talent die equal or lower than your Echolocation talent die, e.g. a creature with Echolocation (D6) always succeeds against a creature using Invisibility (D6), but against a creature with Invisibility (D8) she would have to roll as normal.

And the version I did for the My Little Pony Roleplaying Game: 

BAT PONY
Accustomed to the harsh winds of the Trotsylvanian Alps, Bat Ponies are strong flyers--though not always as agile as Pegasi--with bat-like wings, tufted ears and cat-like eyes with slit pupils that allow them to see very well at night. They typically have gray coats, black wings and dark-colored manes and tails, though other coat and mane colors do occur. It's true that Bat Ponies have fangs, mostly used for sucking the juice out of fruits--a favorite being mangoes. Bat Ponies dwell in a chain of mountains located east of Equestria, and might be related to Pegasi (though most Bat Ponies themselves dispute this). Bat Ponies make up the Night Guard of Princess Luna.

Bat Ponies are nocturnal by nature. Their unusual appearance and nocturnal habits, combined with a reputation for fierceness, have given rise to the rumor that Bat Ponies are vampires; however, this is just a tall tale spread by superstitious ponies. Other names: Cavalum; Noctral(s); Sarosian(s); Thestral(s).

external image

EXAMPLE BAT PONIES
• The Night Guard: Princess Luna employs Bat Ponies as her personal guard. They can often be seen pulling her carriage.
• Flutterbat: Fluttershy was once accidentally transformed by Twilight Sparkle into a form closely resembling a Bat Pony.

ORIGIN BONUSES
Essence Score Increase: Increase your Strength or Speed, or the Essence tied to an Influence Skill, by 1.
Starting Health: You begin play with 2 Health.
Movement: Your base movements depend on how often you use your wings and your legs. See Air Born, below.

ORIGIN PERKS

Acute Sense (Hearing): Your hearing is much stronger than that of the average pony.
• You gain Edge on Alertness Skill Tests where your hearing can be applied.
• You gain an upshift of 1 on non-Alertness Skill Tests where your hearing can be applied.
Air Born: You were born with wings but without the strength to use them. How fast you fly depends on how well you took to it, and how much your training paid off. Choose one of the following as your starting Movement:
• 15ft ground and 45ft aerial
• 30ft ground and 30ft aerial
• 45ft ground and 15ft aerial.
Lighter Than Air: Aerial acrobatics are in your hollow bones. You get an upshift of 1 on Acrobatics Skill Tests. Unlike Pegasus ponies, you cannot land on clouds or walk around Pegasus sky cities.
Night Eyes: Darkness does not affect you like it does other ponies. You can see in darkness as well as in light.
Cutie Mark Perk: Pick a Skill, Specialization or abstract area you are especially talented with (see pages 30–31) as guided by your GM. You get an upshift of 1 shift on any action that area might apply to.

ALTERNATE ORIGIN PERK
Echolocation (replaces Night Eyes): You have the ability to use sound to navigate in your environment. You does not need to be able to use your eyes to see their environment, and you are immune to the Blinded condition.

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, ZiggWheelsManning said:

A royal guard bat pony still brings fear:sealed:  

I haven't (yet) used either template to created a Bat Pony player-character. Maybe I will if I actually have a chance to play either of the games!

• 1 month later...