technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

Whoops! my bad, i thought those were todays parts, my bad.

lolno

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227595&cm_re=gtx_750-_-83-227-595-_-Product

thats probably your best bet if you wanna go prebuilt on a budget

What could that run exactly?

sig-30638.sig-30638.sig-30638.sig-30638.

//// My persona and OC: Candy Star //// Ask me anything: Ask Candy Star //// My Music ////

//// My DA: (OC requests available) ////

lolno

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227595&cm_re=gtx_750-_-83-227-595-_-Product

thats probably your best bet if you wanna go prebuilt on a budget

And if you're looking to build a computer, a build similar to this would be good:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Cloudyy/saved/B94G3C

You'd be saving a lot of money over buying something prebuilt, as that rig would blow the prebuilt one out of the water despite being around the same price once you add in Windows 8. It could run anything at 1080p with max settings with ease.

Edited by Mouse

^ don't listen to this guy ^

I'm curious, what's the amount of money you are thinking of spending? I could throw a parts list together at that pricepoint with the best performance-per-dollar possible.

I see, thanks for the help guys.

I have a 28" RCA 1080p LED tv screen, which i'm happy with. 

As long as it has a HDMI port, you should be able to use it as a computer monitor.
Edited by Mouse

^ don't listen to this guy ^

I'm curious, what's the amount of money you are thinking of spending? I could throw a parts list together at that pricepoint with the best performance-per-dollar possible.

This looks nice. The 960 will be a good budget build choice for sure.

No, should he?

Admittedly I think he wants to play lower end games

It's optional, but with some processors it might make a bit of a difference in heavy productivity tasks, namely the Pentium G3258. Athlon 860K might not need it so much as it's a quad-core design as opposed to the Pentium's dual-core, and as I said, it's optional, but it might help with things like file compression or other heavy productivity tasks like that.

• Brohoof 1

Need a bit of advice.

I've got a GTX 560Ti, had it for roughly 3 years. Is it time to upgrade?

Yeah. Honestly, while we've spoken shit about the GTX 960 here lately, it would be a worthy upgrade over that. Although if you'd like an extra gig of VRAM, the R9 280X is a worthy choice of GPU.

• Brohoof 1

Okay guys, i have a little snag that has me frustrated and i can't decide on a mic. Is there one that works for a budget of $50?

i don't need a high end, just a decent mic that i can use for my readings. my last one quit on me for some odd reason.

sig-30638.sig-30638.sig-30638.sig-30638.

//// My persona and OC: Candy Star //// Ask me anything: Ask Candy Star //// My Music ////

//// My DA: (OC requests available) ////

Okay guys, i have a little snag that has me frustrated and i can't decide on a mic. Is there one that works for a budget of $50?

i don't need a high end, just a decent mic that i can use for my readings. my last one quit on me for some odd reason.

Currently seeing the Blue Snowball for $50 on Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836431002

• Brohoof 1

Awwwwwwww yissssss its upgrading time.post-10550-0-09208700-1422195376_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 4

"It's either Blue Cheese with wings or go fuck your mother!"- Joey"CoCo"Diaz

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James 'MadDog' Mattis USMC

It's time, PC peeps. I need to start researching how to build a PC for gaming and how much it's going to cost me. I'm a total nub when it comes to PC hardware though and haven't owned a desktop in ten years. I don't know what I'm doing and I need to know more than just what parts are good and how to find and compare good parts. I need to know safety risks, preliminary things I should know about the building process including getting an OS on there and anything I need to know in the OS to make my gaming experience as smooth as possible. I honestly don't know where to start which is why I need your help.

If it helps, I'm mostly wanting one for PC-exclusive games like Total War and games that I no longer have the console to play like Valkyria Chronicles. Not really interested in things like mods (unless they make a broken game playable or something) since I like to play games as vanilla as possible.

I know there's probably lots of places to research such things but I honestly wouldn't know what's trustworthy or where to begin so better to start in a familiar place, ya know?

And now nVIDIA fully discloses the actual 970 spec.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-Discloses-Full-Memory-Structure-and-Limitations-GTX-970

As it turns out, they lied about how much L2 cache and ROPs it has. It actually has less L2 cache (1792KB) and ROPs (56) than the 980 (2048KB L2 cache and 64 ROPs). Wow, nVIDIA, lying about the specifications of one of your GPUs to make it seem better.

• Brohoof 1

And now nVIDIA fully discloses the actual 970 spec.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-Discloses-Full-Memory-Structure-and-Limitations-GTX-970

As it turns out, they lied about how much L2 cache and ROPs it has. It actually has less L2 cache (1792KB) and ROPs (56) than the 980 (2048KB L2 cache and 64 ROPs). Wow, nVIDIA, lying about the specifications of one of your GPUs to make it seem better.

is 1.8MB Vs. 2MB really that big a deal to raising a stink over?

"You know, I don't know who or what you are Methos, and I know you don't want to hear this, but you did teach me something. You taught me that Life's about change, about learning to accept who you are, good or bad. And I thank you for that."

-Duncan McLeod.

They still lied about the spec, advertising it as better than it actually is.

I was under the impression companies rounded and give the specs in increments of .5MB because I've only even seen caches branded in either 1.5MB, or 2MB.

Edited by Shoboni

"You know, I don't know who or what you are Methos, and I know you don't want to hear this, but you did teach me something. You taught me that Life's about change, about learning to accept who you are, good or bad. And I thank you for that."

-Duncan McLeod.

I was under the impression companies rounded and give the specs in increments of .5MB because I've only even seen caches branded in either 1.5MB, or 2MB.

It wasn't just the GPU's cache or RAM. It's also the render output units.