technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

Christmas is coming up, and if I purchase a laptop, I don't think I would take advantage of mobility anymore if I already have a desktop at one place. So I might as well get another desktop.

Also, getting a laptop meant for gaming can be costly, at around $1000. Twice my budget.

An AMD build I came up with. I know you asked for Intel, but here's one anyway. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YXgbcf

Edited by Lunatic Envy

An AMD build I came up with. I know you asked for Intel, but here's one anyway. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YXgbcf

Truthfully(and I'm regretting not doing so a little) might as well go with the FX-8350(which is the same CPU but with a base-clock of 4.0GHz instead of 3.5GHz) because it's only $20 more. 

Thanks, though.

Hmm... I could probably think of sticking with AMD, depends if there are going to be discounts good enough.

I'll just have to see.  :)

(OhHeyIsThatKlonoa?.wad)

AMD is really good for getting performance and a unlocked CPU on a budget. 

Play Mirror's Edge maxed out at 60FPS.

It's so pretty I keep getting distracted and dying. 

• Brohoof 2

I have that same PSU. I'm sure you'll be happy with it, it's been chugging along for me for about a year and a half now.

Really? Well, then I guess that's all the more reason for me to purchase it. 

It's just a matter of getting money though, which i'm unfortunately lacking right now ;p.

Truthfully(and I'm regretting not doing so a little) might as well go with the FX-8350(which is the same CPU but with a base-clock of 4.0GHz instead of 3.5GHz) because it's only $20 more.

It used to be a $40 difference, wasn't it? For $20, not bad but 4 GHz should be an easy oc for an 8320.

It used to be a $40 difference, wasn't it? For $20, not bad but 4 GHz should be an easy oc for an 8320.

It's $20 now. Last I looked 8320 was $140 and 8350 was $160.

I may have been $170.

AMD is really good for getting performance and a unlocked CPU on a budget. 
 The Pentium G3258 is also an unlocked budget processor, but you'd get much better performance in games out of an AMD, even at stock speeds.
  • Brohoof 2

Found out you can't transfer a Win8 OEM Key, I'm working on getting a discounted copy via my brother-in-law but is that a way can disable this until then so it doesn't crash my game(it keeps stopping me and making me open this screen)

post-6903-0-80362800-1415240366_thumb.png

Found out you can't transfer a Win8 OEM Key, I'm working on getting a discounted copy via my brother-in-law but is that a way can disable this until then so it doesn't crash my game(it keeps stopping me and making me open this screen)

Can't you also call Microsoft to activate Windows? I did that before and it worked. Automated caller on the other end, but it worked.

Can't you also call Microsoft to activate Windows? I did that before and it worked. Automated caller on the other end, but it worked.

Don't have the code, there's no way the retrieve it from a OEM machine if it was Windows 7 or later. 

Don't have the code, there's no way the retrieve it from a OEM machine if it was Windows 7 or later. 

I used to use a program called Activation Backup & Restore to backup/restore activations on Vista and 7 installs, but there's no new version that works for 8 as far as I know. I found this though, maybe you'll find it useful?

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-backup-and-restore-activation-for-windows-8-1-windows-8-windows-7-and-windows-vista/

Sorry, my mistake, thought you were trying to reactivate. Probably won't work if you move it to different hardware... but then again maybe with the automated activation call? Not sure.

Edited by Lunatic Envy

This reminds me, I need to find my W7 installation CD, or I'm gonna be in hot water soon. I wonder if I even still have it, anymore... I haven't seen it since I moved out.

Edited by Regulus

I got a Windows 8.1 ISO and key from my college (#basedDreamspark), gonna be installing it off a flash drive. Don't really have to worry about Windows licensing myself.

Edited by Daring

Yeah, but I need to find my keycode, too—and guess where I last kept that? Right where the CD was.

Isn't it wonderful being a disorganized slob?

Edited by Regulus

Minecraft runs pretty good cranked up and looks nice(wish I could figure custom shaders out and push a little more since my minimum FPS is like 180FPS and I'd feel safe cranking until it drops to a steady 70+)

post-6903-0-47332100-1415248430_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

So, what brands do you all prefer? I mean, for like, GPUs, CPUs(nvidia or AMD,and Intel or AMD), Cases, mobos, PSU? 

So, what brands do you all prefer? I mean, for like, GPUs, CPUs(nvidia or AMD,and Intel or AMD), Cases, mobos, PSU? 

As as in general(based I've owned many PCs even if I've only built this one), I don't really have one except never buy a cheap AMD CPU. I'll take a Pentium over a entry level AMD any day because some of those have absurdly unbalanced shit(I've literally seen a 1,0GHz quad-core AMD in laptop)

Edited by Shoboni

As as in general(based I've owned many PCs even if I've only built this one), I don't really have one except never buy a cheap AMD CPU. I'll take a Pentium over a entry level AMD any day because some of those have absurdly unbalanced shit(I've literally seen a 1,0GHz quad-core AMD in laptop)

Yeah, I've heard Intel is more stable with their CPUs, hence why system requirements seem to be that games require a lower frequency with Intel chips. Also, aren't Intel and Nvidia better if you want to say, program a game, or animate something in flash?

Yeah, I've heard Intel is more stable with their CPUs, hence why system requirements seem to be that games require a lower frequency with Intel chips. Also, aren't Intel and Nvidia better if you want to say, program a game, or animate something in flash?

AFIAK, AMD is better for multi-threaded apps and Intel is better for single-core stuff.

The higher-end AMDs are good though, I'm loving this FX-8320(it's a quad-core with eight-threads that runs at 3.5GHz or 4.0GHz when Turbo kicks in)

Gpu's: Nvidia

Cpu's: Intel

Monitors: Asus

Cases:Thermaltake

Psu's Seasonic

Ram: G-Skill

Hd: Seagate or Western digital. Whichever is cheaper.

Mobas: MSI

Drive: Asus or Lg. Whichever is better and cheaper.

Headset: Senhieser

Keyboard: Steel series

Mouse: Anker

I try not to buy into brand loyalty, but I like Intel for CPUs and nVIDIA for GPUs.

For NVIDIA GPUs I like ASUS and MSI. and am currently using a GALAXY, though they ran into some trouble and are apparently now named GALAX, so maybe that's not glowing praise. :please:

For AMD GPUs I like Sapphire.

Motherboards: ASRock, ASUS, MSI

PSU: SeaSonic, Corsair, Antec (in the past)

Cases, subjective but I personally like CM STORM cases for being good value and nicely laid out, hear good things about Corsair and Daring mentioned the Phanteks Enthoo cases before which look very nice for the money.

This wasn't really a problem in the past. You would end up with a low-end Athlon or something sure, but now they're shoving these AMD C/E series CPUs into 17" laptops and even desktops. They're netbook processors that rival old Atom chips. No, no, and no.

• Brohoof 1