Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is Sunset Shimmer's destiny?

ManaMinori

What is her cutie mark telling her that her destiny is meant to be? Has this ever been discussed? Her butt mark is a shimmering sun, like her name, and we all know that at some point, she was the student of Celestia before Twilight was. And she had her cutie mark before she passed the test in magic kindergarten....but what is she supposed to be excelling at, as far as her talent/ destiny goes? Thoughts?

• Brohoof 1

I think her cutie mark appeared in a similar fashion to Twilight's. It more than likely represents her skills in magic and appeared when she discovered her natural talent for it, but, of course, she went to the world of humans where there was no magic, leaving me feeling as though her destiny is still uncertain.

At least, this was what I thought about when I wondered the same thing.

• Brohoof 1

To be the human counterpart to the season 1 FiM Twilight Sparkle, and go through a nearly identical emotional growth and apprenticeship as the "leader of friendship". And her cutie mark was really made to be the opposite of Twilight's, and her color scheme also reflects this. 

• Brohoof 1

Maybe she'll have an appearance in season 5 and they'll explain it a bit more? Unless she's stuck in the human world and thus she doesn't have a specific destiny pertaining to Equestria.

I'm pretty sure she interpreted her mark to mean she was going to succeed Celestia, or at least become powerful and wise like she is. I'd definitely like to hear how she got it.

well, yeah, that was made obvious, I think in 'The Fall of Sunset Shimmer", where the mirror celestia asked her to look into showed Sunset as an alicorn princess, and Sunset's pretty much identical to Twilight; having to learn friendship, being an apprentice to Celestia, excelling in magical ability, and all. But I mean, now that she's in the human world, one still has to question what her destiny is, now, in that AU. Because her clothes still have the cutie mark she had as a pony in Equestria.

Is her destiny still to succeed Celestia, just learning about Friendship at a much later time (and in a different dimension) than Twilight, then going back to Equestria, making peace with her old mentor, and being given the throne of Canterlot by Celestia?

• Brohoof 1

I'd love some  more info on Shimmer,  even with

her coming back to the pony world and such maybe

to help out in some kinda manor event or threat with

the background ponies and making new friends with

those ponies!

Obviously her destiny wasn't to get manipulated and tricked by her mentor figure into becoming an alicorn princess. No, being that much of a tool was only Twilight's destiny.

Getting away from Celestia was probably the smartest thing Sunset ever did.

• Brohoof 1

She is the harbinger of the Apocalypse. Her cutie mark is the world engulfed in flames.

no, it's a yin/ yang symbol surrounded by flames, which kind of represents how Celestia is seen as yin and Luna as Yang, and how they work in harmony balancing the sun and the moon, and how Sunset Shimmer could someday take the place of both, had she ascended to the throne.

But again- her cutie mark is still that symbol in the human world, so I question whether that's still her destiny, so long as she's there.

• Brohoof 1

no, it's a yin/ yang symbol surrounded by flames, which kind of represents how Celestia is seen as yin and Luna as Yang, and how they work in harmony balancing the sun and the moon, and how Sunset Shimmer could someday take the place of both, had she ascended to the throne.

But again- her cutie mark is still that symbol in the human world, so I question whether that's still her destiny, so long as she's there.

Whoa I never really looked at her cutie mark but it totally is a yin yang sun.

Thats rather brilliant for her character. Yin and Yang is not really about opposing forces, but balance through differences yet similarities. She is also the Yang to Twilights Yin, yet they both were students under celestia (yin and yang in the sun cutie mark). Two students of the Princess of the sun finding balance in their differences and similarities. Her cutie Mark painted the picture that Twilight and Sunset could vary well be the sucessors of Celestia and Luna. Dude... Head canon forming

Whoa I never really looked at her cutie mark but it totally is a yin yang sun.

Thats rather brilliant for her character. Yin and Yang is not really about opposing forces, but balance through differences yet similarities. She is also the Yang to Twilights Yin, yet they both were students under celestia (yin and yang in the sun cutie mark). Two students of the Princess of the sun finding balance in their differences and similarities. Her cutie Mark painted the picture that Twilight and Sunset could vary well be the sucessors of Celestia and Luna. Dude... Head canon forming

yeah, she is Twilight's Yang, indeed. But seeing as how her cutie mark is a yin yang sun, and when Celestia took her in as her apprentice, Sunset Shimmer was shown to be older than Twilight, Sunset could very well be Yin, and Twilight Yang- as Luna, because her cutie mark is a bunch of stars, and she has a darker coat and mane. So if Celestia did have plans for Sunset and Twilight to succeed her and Luna, eventually, both becoming alicorns, then yeah, that would definitely be the case. Twilight would be Sunset Shimmer's Luna, controlling the moon and stars, and being the younger of the two, and Sunset, controlling the sun and being the eldest.

Man, see, now this is why Sunsettbutt needs to return to Equestria.

• Brohoof 1

yeah, she is Twilight's Yang, indeed. But seeing as how her cutie mark is a yin yang sun, and when Celestia took her in as her apprentice, Sunset Shimmer was shown to be older than Twilight, Sunset could very well be Yin, and Twilight Yang- as Luna, because her cutie mark is a bunch of stars, and she has a darker coat and mane. So if Celestia did have plans for Sunset and Twilight to succeed her and Luna, eventually, both becoming alicorns, then yeah, that would definitely be the case. Twilight would be Sunset Shimmer's Luna, controlling the moon and stars, and being the younger of the two, and Sunset, controlling the sun and being the eldest.

Man, see, now this is why Sunsettbutt needs to return to Equestria.

It gets better! Luna turned to the evil side at one point while Celestia never wavered. The same happened with Sunset and Twilight, but this time it wad the Eldest of the sun that went bad and the younger of the stars that never wavered.

Think about it

Celestia: big sun, Yin

Sunset: little sun, Yang

Luna: Moon, Yang

Twilight: little stars, Yin

Sunset and Twilight are the little dots in the yin yang symbol that shows nothing is completely one or the other

Holy cow that is cool.

I honestly have no clue.

I would love to have more infromation on Sunset Shimmer herself. 

They should think about making 1-2 episodes where she comes back to equestria and we get some more info.

I would guess she was training to be a Celestia successor.  Maybe the fiery appearance of her cutie mark represents her hot-headedness, which sadly lost her her destiny.  

• 6 months later...

The way I see it.... twilight and sunset, hand in hand, will take over the rolls of celestia and luna.
Think about it. They were both celestia's "special" student at one point in time, so both obviously have a special quality to them(can be transformed into alicorns?)
Celestia's plan was to take in a student/students to morph and train them in her ways.
Sunset had her cutie mark before twilight was able to get hers. Making her more powerful/worthy. Hence why she was the first chioce. But things didn't work out and twilight was next in line to prove worth.
Like celestia and luna, twilight and sunset are two sides of the same coin. Plus twilight SPARKLE and sunset SHIMMER. I'd say that sparkle and shimmer mean the same thing. There must be some connection being foreshadowed here.
Twilight after some time was able to show her worth to celestia, reulting her to magically turn into an alicorn. Now that the 6 ponies have shown sunset freindship, they have converted her.. mwahhaha.
Sunset realizes where she needs to be, her new desinty. She can regain celestia's trust, then take her turn being magically transformed into her alicorn form.
Seriously.. equestria girls- rainbow rocks explains it all. In the song sunset sings "my past is not today", she literally sings about being a pheonix being reborn. Starting new with celestia and herself. Not only that, but at the end of the song she bursts out into what seems to be an alicorn form. Which you can check for yourself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqnbYUG6Bn8
That is my theory. Hope you enjoyed my attempting to shove the evidence down your throat.

• Brohoof 1

The way I see it.... twilight and sunset, hand in hand, will take over the rolls of celestia and luna.

Think about it. They were both celestia's "special" student at one point in time, so both obviously have a special quality to them(can be transformed into alicorns?)

Celestia's plan was to take in a student/students to morph and train them in her ways.

Sunset had her cutie mark before twilight was able to get hers. Making her more powerful/worthy. Hence why she was the first chioce. But things didn't work out and twilight was next in line to prove worth.

Like celestia and luna, twilight and sunset are two sides of the same coin. Plus twilight SPARKLE and sunset SHIMMER. I'd say that sparkle and shimmer mean the same thing. There must be some connection being foreshadowed here.

Twilight after some time was able to show her worth to celestia, reulting her to magically turn into an alicorn. Now that the 6 ponies have shown sunset freindship, they have converted her.. mwahhaha.

Sunset realizes where she needs to be, her new desinty. She can regain celestia's trust, then take her turn being magically transformed into her alicorn form.

Seriously.. equestria girls- rainbow rocks explains it all. In the song sunset sings "my past is not today", she literally sings about being a pheonix being reborn. Starting new with celestia and herself. Not only that, but at the end of the song she bursts out into what seems to be an alicorn form. Which you can check for yourself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqnbYUG6Bn8

That is my theory. Hope you enjoyed my attempting to shove the evidence down your throat.

well, I had already come to the conclusion that that would happen, a couple months back http://mlpforums.com/topic/111512-what-is-sunset-shimmers-destiny/?p=3137537 but I did enjoy Sunny's shorts video that seemed to confirm my suspicions from back then. Best video out of the three, by far. So I doubt this is the last time we'll be seeing her. HIGHLY doubt it.

But /) for being on the same page. :)