Would Celestia encourage her sister to take an apprentice?

ManaMinori

Somepony liiiiiike.....Sunset Shimmer, perhaps? -squee!-

Since quite a few people (including me) seems like they wanted Sunset to return to Equestria (especially to prevent reality or whatever from being thrown out of whack, with her human counterpart already being in that world, and the two ever meeting) AND to have closure with Celestia and become a part of the mane 6, making them the mane 7 in Equestria, the possibility has been kicked around a bit. Now, interestingly enough, at the end of the first movie, Celestia- rather than ask if Twilight's alright, when she gets back, asks is Sunset Shimmer is alright, so open door right there, for future redemption with Celestia. And, personally, if sunbutt allowed (or even encourages) Sunset to return home, likely resuming her studies, who better Celestia to leave that task to, than her own sister? Why? Well, I'm sure sunbutt wouldn't be so quick to take the task up again, herself, probably discrediting herself for failing to properly guide Sunset the first time around. And seeing as how Sunset Shimmer and Luna are both struggling with the pretty much the same issues; not knowing how to fit in, feeling like their talents and efforts aren't appreciated, ponies 9and people) holding their past actions over their heads, ect, she might deem it better for Luna to take on the teacher role, and guide Sunset as she, too, learns, and both helping each other to grow and learn.

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 3

Spoilers for Rainbow Rocks:

Judging from the ending of Rainbow Rocks, Twilight Sparkle would probably be more suited to take Sunset Shimmer as her apprentice. Sunset Shimmer was writing to her like Twilight wrote to Princess Celestia after all.

Now, I guess Celestia would encourage Luna if a pony showed up that could potentially make a good apprentice, but I can't think of anyone to fit that role.

• Brohoof 2

I like the idea, but if she had to pick any student, I don't think it'd be Sunset Shimmer. I think she'd be more inclined to pick Trixie. :3

but neither sunbutt or Luna have (to the viewer's knowledge) ever met Trixie before. (and likely only Sunbutt's only ever heard of her, if Twilight was writing to her about there lessons Trixie helped her learn, at that time). Celestia actually knows Sunset Shimmer (and we've seen it), so it's more likely she'd extend the invitation for Sunset to return, and have Sunset and Luna teach and learn from one another, instead.

• Brohoof 2

Trixie is a weakling who Luna probably doesn't even know the name of. If someone asked Luna about Trixie, it would be rather awkward, Luna knows nothing about her. Also, both have tremendously large egos, they wouldn't fit well at all

As for Sunset, I don't think she wants to be anyone's student, too independent for that. If she had to be a student, it'd be of Twilight, considering their behavior in the film proper, Sunset respects Twilight. 

I would like to mention that Luna has a rather unfortunate tendency to be overly zealous(thrusting Sweetie into a nightmare?), so someone who is her student would probably have to be someone submissive, unless Luna wants to train them into evil, which probably wouldn't happen. 

• Brohoof 1

ZOMG!

This is actually a really good question & i'm surprised I haven't seen it before on here  :blink:

I think that Princess Luna should definitley take on an apprentice of some sort.

That could make for some great stories!

• Brohoof 2

That's a really astute observation. I think that would be a perfect match! I personally find it cringeworthy to watch "redeemed" characters struggling with learning to be "good", but if anyone is going to pull it off and make it work, it would be the mlp writers.

• Brohoof 1

If Luna is going to take anyone as an apprentice, I don't think it would be SS or Trixie, or any adult pony. If someone is an apprentice, that means they're dedicating their lives to master something. Twilight dedicated herself to learning and mastering magic. SS and Trixie are adults, they already have their own lives and own paths and own special talents. I would assume that Luna would take a young pony - a filly or a colt, like Twilight was - so that they can truly master whatever knowledge it is that Luna would be passing on.

Edited by Sapana
  • Brohoof 2

I think Trixie is the best canidate. She's talented with magic, and has a history of messing up and seeking revenge. Luna can relate with her on that one.

What lead me to this conclusion?

-She went to the school for gifted unicorns.

-She actually became a princess in an alternate world. This proves that with the right mindset, she does have great potential.

I choose Trixie over SS because we already got a full on redemption for SS, and Trixie deserves one way more than her. There's plently of room for Trixie to overcome her flaws, I think Luna would be great teacher for her.

Edited by 1CJB
  • Brohoof 1

I think Trixie is the best canidate. She's talented with magic, and has a history of messing up and seeking revenge. Luna can relate with her on that one.

Luna didn't seek revenge, she threw a petty tantrum. Admittedly, Trixie's reasons were also petty, but at least she had a reason, albeit a poor one.

She went to the school for gifted unicorns.

And was kicked out for cheating. She's also clearly not anywhere near Sunset Shimmer or Twilight's level and is too lazy to train, given how instead of training her magic, she goes instantly for blowing tons of cash on a dark amulet

-She actually became a princess in an alternate world. This proves that with the right mindset, she does have great potential.  

Celestia became a psychopathic ruler in an alternate world, Trixie's princess status proves nothing.

I choose Trixie over SS because we already got a full on redemption for SS, and Trixie deserves one way more than her.

Sunset Shimmer showed genuine remorse after her mistakes. Trixie is still spouting ego ridden one liners after being humbled...twice 

• Brohoof 1

Luna didn't seek revenge, she threw a petty tantrum.

You're missing the entire point, they both made mistakes when they were angry.

And was kicked out for cheating. She's also clearly not anywhere near Sunset Shimmer or Twilight's

Kicked out? You're just making that up, and Sunset Shimmer hasn't done anything extrodinary either, other than be the worst villian.

Sunset Shimmer showed genuine remorse after her mistakes.

So did Trixie, it's like you conviently forget this fact because your arguments stink. "I treated you and your friends so horribly when I was wearing that Alicorn Amulet. I just couldn't control myself. You can forgive me, can't you?"

Celestia became a psychopathic ruler in an alternate world, Trixie's princess status proves nothing.

How is this an argument? Celestia being a tyrant proves that under certain circumstances, she can be evil. Same with Trixie's princess status. I don't reguard Trixie's alternate self to be any stronger or smarter than the Trixie we all know.

• Brohoof 1

Spoilers for Rainbow Rocks:

Judging from the ending of Rainbow Rocks, Twilight Sparkle would probably be more suited to take Sunset Shimmer as her apprentice. Sunset Shimmer was writing to her like Twilight wrote to Princess Celestia after all.

Now, I guess Celestia would encourage Luna if a pony showed up that could potentially make a good apprentice, but I can't think of anyone to fit that role.

This was exactly what I was thinking. They were setting Twilight up to be Sunset's new mentor. I do like the idea of Luna having a student though and the idea of it being Sunset is very interesting in itself. 

If Luna is going to take anyone as an apprentice, I don't think it would be SS or Trixie, or any adult pony. If someone is an apprentice, that means they're dedicating their lives to master something. Twilight dedicated herself to learning and mastering magic. SS and Trixie are adults, they already have their own lives and own paths and own special talents. I would assume that Luna would take a young pony - a filly or a foal, like Twilight was - so that they can truly master whatever knowledge it is that Luna would be passing on.

This is a good point. It seems like Luna is already a bit of a mentor to the CMC when she goes into their dreams so I could picture her with a young filly student. I think the idea of Luna mentoring Sweetie Belle permanently may work. Luna seemed to mentor both Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo very well. She makes them think and realize things for themselves like a good mentor should. I of course want to see a dream episode with Applebloom too.  

• Brohoof 1

I don't think Luna would exactly need any sort of go-ahead from Celestia on this matter, because she's a Strong Independent Woman, but yeah, Luna taking on an apprentice would be interesting to see.

It'd have to be a character who's a regular on the show, though; this would be a wasted storytelling opportunity if Luna took on an apprentice who only showed once or twice every year, like Trixie or Sunset. Perhaps not a main character, though, as that might make storytelling a bit lopsided, so it'd have to be a secondary character who's not the main focus but is featured frequently enough so we can check up on their progress.

And seeing as how Celestia took on Twilight from a young age as to guide her more thoroughly, I think Luna may do the same, while also borrowing her sister's tendency to point her apprentice in the right direction but allowing them to figure out a solution to the problem it's the CMC I'm talking about is the point I'm trying to make here.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think Luna would exactly need any sort of go-ahead from Celestia on this matter, because she's a Strong Independent Woman, but yeah, Luna taking on an apprentice would be interesting to see.

It'd have to be a character who's a regular on the show, though; this would be a wasted storytelling opportunity if Luna took on an apprentice who only showed once or twice every year, like Trixie or Sunset. Perhaps not a main character, though, as that might make storytelling a bit lopsided, so it'd have to be a secondary character who's not the main focus but is featured frequently enough so we can check up on their progress.

And seeing as how Celestia took on Twilight from a young age as to guide her more thoroughly, I think Luna may do the same, while also borrowing her sister's tendency to point her apprentice in the right direction but allowing them to figure out a solution to the problem it's the CMC I'm talking about is the point I'm trying to make here.

the pony's age shouldn't even be a factor. Bottom line is- Sunset is at the point where she needs and wants that guidance in her life, to become a better person/ pony. While Twilight asked the Mane 5 from Equestria to try and help Sunset, before Twi left in the first movie, they really haven't done a good job with that, from what we've seen in the second, as not only do they keep bringing up Sunset's past transgressions, but seem to be holding it over her head, just like the rest at CHS, in spite of their claim that they've forgiven her (otherwise, why would they keep mentioning it?). Sunset isn't learning from the mane 5, (and in fact, had to step in and teach THEM a lesson about resolving conflicts when they first begin), so she's best off going back to Equestria and being left in Luna'a hooves, to learn more from and be taught by somepony who's been in the same kind of situation Sunset was, and who Sunset, at the same time, can also teach, so they both can grow and develop.

• Brohoof 1

I would hope Princess Luna, even Princess Cadance would take apprentices, and it'll hopefully be Sunset Shimmer. Perhaps, since Sunset Shimmer was once Princess Celestia's apprentice, she and Luna will get along a little better considering they kinda are under Celestia's "shadow" :P

• Brohoof 1

Kicked out? You're just making that up, and Sunset Shimmer hasn't done anything extrodinary either, other than be the worst villian.

Faust said that while she did go to the school, she was kicked out for cheating. If you disregard that statement, you disregard Trixie going to the school

And Sunset was powerful enough to catch Twilight offguard with her teleportation mastery and knew enough about dark magic to know that the Elements, even one by itself, would give her incredible power. Trixie just did smoke and mirrors along with levitation and it's pretty clear that she's not considered a rival to Twilight in power, while Sunset is

So did Trixie, it's like you conviently forget this fact because your arguments stink. "I treated you and your friends so horribly when I was wearing that Alicorn Amulet. I just couldn't control myself. You can forgive me, can't you?"

And yet, she's still ego ridden afterwards. She still wants to keep her pride intact and blather about how awesome she is. If you count one of the novels, she's actually teamed up with Gilda, and guess what? Both are still jerks

How is this an argument? Celestia being a tyrant proves that under certain circumstances, she can be evil. Same with Trixie's princess status. I don't reguard Trixie's alternate self to be any stronger or smarter than the Trixie we all know

I don't think you quite understand. Other universes don't mean that in the main one, the same can occur. For Trixie to be a good princess, there would have to be a billion twists and turns because she herself is so arrogant that like Sunset, she'd likely view it as a way to lord over others 

she was kicked out for cheating

Citation needed.

And Sunset was powerful enough to catch Twilight offguard with her teleportation mastery

Untitled.png

Trixie can also teleport, and it's arguably more impressive. She's also done a variety of magic, something that most unicorns can't do. I'm convinced that she could defiantly rival pre-alicorn Twilight (If Trixie had the drive, support, and main character privileges).

Other universes don't mean that in the main one, the same can occur.

Other universes show how events can unfold differently. The princesses are not incorruptible, and Trixie's ego is not unchangeable.

And yet, she's still ego ridden afterwards.

She was apologizing for going crazy with the amulet, not for being egotistical.

For Trixie to be a good princess, there would have to be a billion twists and turns because she herself is so arrogant that like Sunset, she'd likely view it as a way to lord over others

I don't think so, the comics show pretty clear that Trixie is very capable of being a good character, and I don't recall her ever being naturally power hungry like Sunset Shimmer. Trixie had a reason to wear the amulet, Sunset just wanted power when she stole the element of magic.

Citation needed.

Citation needed for Trixie going in the first place

Trixie can also teleport, and it's arguably more impressive. She's also done a variety of magic, something that most unicorns can't do. I'm convinced that she could defiantly rival pre-alicorn Twilight (If Trixie had the drive, support, and main character privileges).

So you're basically saying that Trixie is lazy, so lazy, that even against her most hated enemy, that she's willing to use a dangerous artifact again, she won't train? Trixie has done nothing but pop smoke bombs, teleport, and levitate. Which is about three main things. Twilight, even in her Season 1 state, knew 21 different ones, and it's only logical that she's gotten stronger, because she actually trains

Sunset was able to turn a tiny seed into a giant tree with no strain what so ever, whilst wearing a smirk

Other universes show how events can unfold differently. The princesses are not incorruptible, and Trixie's ego is not unchangeable.

By that logic, Lex Luthor and the Joker are totally okay people, they were good in another universes.

She was apologizing for going crazy with the amulet, not for being egotistical.  

I mean that she's still spouting her "I am the most powerful" nonsense afterwards

I don't think so, the comics show pretty clear that Trixie is very capable of being a good character, and I don't recall her ever being naturally power hungry like Sunset Shimmer. Trixie had a reason to wear the amulet, Sunset just wanted power when she stole the element of magic

Alternate Trixie =/= Main Trixie

And they were just as bad. Trixie is revenge ridden to the point where she gets an amulet she knows is dangerous, Sunset did it because she felt cheated of being an alicorn. Both are not justified in any fashion, the difference is that Sunset got her victory ruined, her pride crushed, Trixie was merely tricked, and not overpowered.  

Citation needed for Trixie going in the first place

https://twitter.com/Fyre_flye/status/329794603354030080

Everything I've said about Trixie is based on some form of evidence. I don't rely on making things up for my arguments to work.

So you're basically saying that Trixie is lazy, so lazy, that even against her most hated enemy, that she's willing to use a dangerous artifact again, she won't train?

Train with what? She lost everything, and couldn't even start her career back up. She had to work manual labor on a rock farm just to make living. She was understandably pissed, and made some bad decisions because of that.

Trixie has done nothing but pop smoke bombs, teleport, and levitate.

Well she made a living with her magic in a world already full of magical creatures, she's done a variety of spells, was accepted into the school for gifted unicorns.. I'm more than convinced Trixie has potential.

By that logic, Lex Luthor and the Joker are totally okay people, they were good in another universes.

It's not that they're good, it's that they have the potential to be good. I stand by my argument, the princesses aren't perfect or impervious to being corrupted. Trixie is very well redeemable, and the comics already demonstrate that.

Anyway, I don't really want these arguments to dominate this thread, so I'll be stopping here. My point is, Trixie deserves a chance. She has potential to be a good character and a great magic user, there's plenty of evidence to support this.

You're missing the entire point, they both made mistakes when they were angry.

All of your arguments are Invalid in fact in my vision most likely Twilight would be her apprentice so Twilight can learn more about dark magic/Luna's light magic. And if Twilight wasn't then most likely SS would trixie is a character which is most likely to come back in the 5th season mad at Twilight and Twilight will just banish her to stone and if she does Trixie's history would be 'Tried to kill a princess instead got turned into stone with such a powerful magic that she will never get out' Trixie is invalid. And she made a living she only has a cart to push around and is most likely to get locked in a magic resistent jail where she will spend the rest of her life and even if she doesn't most ponies have a house. Again how does she make a living if she only has enough money to push around a cart. Edited by EB Creations