Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Of Friendship, Opportunity and Apprehension

asafk8

(edited)

Hey guys! :lol: This is a fanfic I began writing like a month ago or so. I've been posting it on some fanfiction site but there aren't many people on it so I haven't been getting many readers or reviews that can make me improve my writing. And then I was like 'why not post it here?' and then I came here =o. I already have 11 chapters of this written and a 12th one in progress but I won't upload them all at once obviously.

The story itself starts when a Pegasus stallion moving into Ponyville, about a year after the Mane 6 stops Discord. The main idea of this fanfic is the how, in real life, people at some point have to go and live their own lives and how sometimes it forces them to see their friends less and have a harder time being in touch with them. In the story's description back at that site I called it 'the test of time'. You'll see what I mean eventually =o

Note: This is a copy-paste from the word file. I had to make the spaces between the paragraphs after pasting it here. I do re-read chapters before I post them in order to notice spelling mistakes and things like that. I hope I didn't miss anything.

Chapter 1 - The Arrival

It has been a few months since Discord's demise and it was yet another normal day in the peaceful land of Equestria. The sun was almost halfway through the sky, shining its light on the town of Ponyville along with 'Sweet Apple Acres' not so far from it. There were but a few clouds up in the sky, but not a single one of them seemed like it contained enough water in order to rain down and somehow spoil this beautiful day which seemed almost magical. From Ponyville itself one could easily get a glimpse of the town of Canterlot, which looked like a paradise no matter in what angle and from what height one looked upon it.

To a young Pegasus stallion, who was about the same age as Twilight Sparkle and her friends, this marvelous sight appeared all at once as he flew past a mountain which was hiding Ponyville and Canterlot from his sight just up to a second ago. Having only heard how magnificent of a sight it was from above, seeing it for the first time left him so astonished that he nearly forgot to keep flapping his wings. Regaining his bearings, the expression of amazement on the young stallion's face turned into a huge smile as he continued flying towards the little yet big town.

His name was Paint. It might not sound like a normal name to anypony, but usually other ponies realized that it made sense just as any other name did. Paint's cutie mark was a paintbrush with a bright handle. The bright wooden-like appearing handle made it easy to notice on his blue coat, which resembled the sky when it was almost dark; a blue which appeared just for a few moments before the sun completely finished setting. The edge of his paintbrush cutie mark was covered in simple stripes of the rainbow colors. The colors just happened to be organized in the same order as they appeared on Rainbow Dash's mane, tail, and cutie mark. His mane and tail were colored a lighter blue like the sky in a bright summer's day and his eyes were green.

As you've most likely figured, Paint likes to draw. To him, painting wasn't just a hobby; it was his special talent as understood from a single look on his cutie mark. While most pegasi's talents were focused around flying, that is what Paint specialized in and enjoyed doing. He would take a drawing of almost anything that caught his eye using his quills for the sketching and then his paintbrushes and small paint cans for the actual painting. Those drawing materials, including paper and a pad, were the only contents of his first saddle bag. On the one on resting against his other side he carried his money and the food he bought from the last village he's been to.

You might have assumed that he made a living by selling his paintings, but if you had then you assumed wrong. Paint had a compassion for drawing, but he was too modest to turn that into a living. Instead he would work for ponies that lived around where he was staying in order to afford food and a roof over his head, but never has he ever sold a painting before. He would happily give them out to ponies who liked them before drawing them again out of his memory in order to have a copy that he himself could keep in case he wanted to. After all making a living out of that would mean he'd have to spend hours on end drawing, and since he didn't always have the inspiration most artists needed, it didn't sound like he'd enjoy such a life. Also, he wasn't a lazy pony. He might not be living a life of wealth, but he was able to make a living and still have time to enjoy his talent, what else could he ask for?

While his talent was not related to flying at all, Paint has been to the flying school in his own place of birth when he was little and had the flying capabilities of any average pegasus. He flew often, sometimes just to get his head clear and enjoy the fresh air and sometimes in order to look out for things to draw like a setting sun's orange light breaking through the clouds in its way or a clear night's sky or a waterfall, any of nature's wonders that was a sight worth memorizing. Just in the past five seconds Paint's eyes had already seen so much that he didn't know what he'd like to draw on paper first.

He pushed his artistic compulsion aside for now though, for it will have to wait. His last employer at the last village he was staying at, a fully grown earth pony, to whom he helped run a small apple store, has heard that Paint will be traveling to Ponyville next. He was kind to inform some members of his family in 'Sweet Apple Acres' and even said that they will be more than happy to give him a place to stay, not to mention that they were always looking for workers to help with the lots of harvesting they had to do since their apple fields were huge. According to his last employer, they were the ones sending him all the apples he sold.

Paint could not have expressed his gratitude in a better way compared to thanking the pony a thousand times, since now he already had a place to stay and a job before he even got into town, but his former employer said that he shouldn't mention it and that the Apple Family had plenty of room. The young colt pegasus immediately identified the place where he would be staying from now on; Sweet Apple Acres. His former boss certainly was not joking, for that there was a very big apple forest, no wonder the Apple Family was always on the lookout for some help. Since all the traveling he had gone through until now was in order to reach this specific town, he doubted he would be leaving Ponyville any time soon now that he was finally there.

Growing more and more excited the closer he got to Ponyville, the pegasus flew even faster towards the farm he was to live at from now on. He could be a punctual pony despite the fact that he was a carefree pony who liked to spend his time relaxing by watching the sky and painting it. He didn't want to be late to the farm; it would be simply rude after all the kindness that he was shown from the Apple Family. Also, he wouldn't mind making a good impression on the earth ponies. Since he was to actually stay for a long period of time, he was already planning on going to Ponyville after greeting the Apple Family and settling in, for he was already eager to meet new friends. That is, as long as there wasn't any work that had to be done around the farm right now. There might be, and there might not, but Paint knew that his new responsibility had to come before anything else if he was to express his gratitude towards the family he will be staying with from now on.

The farm was literally enormous, and Paint soon realized that finding out the location of anypony from the Apple Family might prove rather problematic. His first attempt was aimed at the barn and house at the edge of the apple fields since it was obviously the easiest place to search at. Flying towards the two wooden buildings, the young pegasus descended a little in order to get a better look around. His search was short and produced no result, causing Paint to figure out that the ponies he was looking for were probably out working in the actual fields. He flew away from the house and above the tightly-close together apple trees. It was impossible to even see the ground from above since the trees were so close to one another, so Paint had to fully descend and land in order to look around.

The orchard was surely bigger once one stepped into it compared to when one flew above it. Paint was already expecting a long and frustrating search, and also once he would start helping the Apple Family with their work it would take him time to get used to this gigantic place and get his bearings. Lucky for him though, he was able to hear some talking just after a few moments of walking. Following the voice, Paint could soon see two mares about his age. One mare he could instantly recognize as one of the Apple Family, especially because of her cowboy hat and Curie Mark which consisted three apples. Applejack was talking to Pinkie Pie, who Paint couldn't really connect to the orchard and its scenery, which was why Paint figured that the two were probably friends.

After a few more seconds, the pink pony let out an excited giggled and left by hopping away excitedly like a bunny. Applejack chuckled and looked at her friend as the energetic pony hopped away, before turning back probably in order to carry on with her work and noticing Paint who was still peeking from behind one of the trees. "Well howdy there partner!" said the earth pony, heading over to him and starting to shake his hoof before Paint even got the opportunity to answer and introduce himself. "Welcome to Sweet Apple Acres, Ah'm Applejack, how may-ah serve you?"

It took Paint a few moments to take in Applejack's extremely friendly approach and another few moments to realize that he was still shaking his own hoof in the air even after Applejack has already released it, which caused the earth pony to chuckle. Feeling embarrassed, the colt went ahead and was about to introduce himself, only for Applejack to speak up just a moment before he opened his mouth to do the same. "You oughta be Paint," she could tell by his saddlebags and by the fact she did not recognize him that he was a traveler, and his cutie mark was what caused her to realize who he was. "You worked for mah great uncle Applegrapes; he told us you were comin'."

Paint smiled at Applejack with a polite nod, "Yes, that's me." He quickly spoke again so to not forget. "I can't thank you all enough for this; it's going to make things a lot easier for me around here."

"Don' mention it." She responded, "There's more blessin' to give than to receive. Besides, we could really use some extra help around here."

"I can tell." He quickly regretted saying that upon realizing that it sounded quite rude. "I mean, no offense intended! It's just that this is a really big farm."

Applejack couldn't help but chuckle, "Ah like you already Paint." She took a look around, "Yep, this farm was brought up by mah Granny Smith and her relatives when she was mah age. Ponyville didn' even exist back then."

"It is a really beautiful sight." Now Paint already had yet another idea for a new drawing, for he really did mean it when he said that Sweet Apple Acres looked astounding from a distance. It was no doubt that the Apple Family was a proud family, and they had every right to be proud.

"Le'me show you around, we already prepared a place for you to sleep at." With that the earth pony turned and walked in the direction of the house. "We have a small room in the basement that we're not usin'. It might not be big, but we all agreed that it's better than the barn.

"It's okay, I don't mind if it's small." Replied Paint as he followed Applejack. "You're being kind enough to me as it is."

And so Applejack led Paint towards the house giving him a small tour by showing him the kitchen, the restroom and the bathroom. They passed by Granny Smith who was taking her early afternoon nap in the living room, but Paint didn't need to ask in order to realize who she was. To Applejack's relief, her little sister Applebloom wasn't home and was probably outside playing with her friends on some weird 'Cutie Marks Crusaders' adventure. It was a good thing in her opinion since Paint would obviously need some time in order to get settled and it would be rude to have her playful young sister follow him all over the place.

The two headed then downstairs and into the basement where they found Big Macintosh just leaving a small room which was located in the corner. Paint could tell by a single look at the basement that the room in question was where he'll be sleeping from now on. "Well, looks like we arrived just on time." Said Applejack and looked around at Paint. "This here's mah brother Big Macintosh." Shifting her gaze from Paint to her brother, she continued. "Are you done organizin' the room?"

"Eeyup."

Paint hurried and said, "Oh, you shouldn't have… I could have organized things on my own."

"Nonsense," said Applejack. "It's nothin'."

"Eeyup." Said Big Macintosh, using the same tone he spoke with last time.

"Your great uncle sure wasn't lying when he said I'd get a warm welcome here…" said Paint, slightly embarrassed. Applejack wasn't going to say it to him, but his warm welcome was still far from delivered.

"Eeyup."

"You're a stallion of a few words aren't you?"

"Eeyup." Big Macintosh gave him a friendly smile and shook hoofs with him before leaving.

Applejack chuckled, "Well, go on." Paint smiled thankfully and walked inside. Applejack followed. The room really wasn't too big, but it wasn't small for a basement backroom either. There was a mattress already made up in the upper left corner with a small shelf next to it and a small lamp on top of the shelf. In the upper right corner was a closet which wasn't very big compared to the ones you'll find all over Rarity's Boutique but still big enough for Paint to store his belongings in. Between the closet and the shelf and mattress was a table a pony of Paint's age could sit in front of properly without needing a chair. Paint didn't have any complaints on his mind; in fact he would still have been thankful even if the room had only the mattress. "So how is it?" asked Applejack, breaking the silence. "We would have given you somethin' more appropriate if we had, but it's still better than the barn."

Paint turned to her with a smile, "Oh, don't worry yourself over it, it's perfect, thank you."

"Well Ah'll leave you to get settled, and then I can show you around Ponyville."

"But isn't there work to be done on the farm right now?"

Applejack grinned, "Don' worry about it, you'll get to workin' only after you get settled." Her great uncle Applegrapes surely meant it when he said that Paint was serious when it came to working. "Ah'll probably be in the barn when you're done, so when you feel ready I can show you around the village." Paint silently thanked her and she left in order to allow him to get his belongings organized.

A/N: Well, that's the 1st chapter! It's rather short but the others are longer. Comments will be most welcome and I'll really appreciate it if you guys continue reading as I update =]

Edited by asafk8
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Chapter 2 - Ponyville

Ponyville itself was a much livelier village than Paint has heard and thought it would be. There were literally ponies flowing all over the place, like water in a raging river which a more careful pony would try to avoid jumping into. There were pegasi flying and walking all over the place as well as earth ponies and unicorns. Paint however was not the timid type of pony. He never had trouble meeting new ponies or making new friends, which was about to come in handy since Applejack had already had a chance to tell him that she was going to introduce him to her friends, and he wanted to be in good relation with whoever they were because he would be living in Ponyville from now on not to mention staying with Applejack's family. Therefore having her friends not dislike him was important in one way or another, but Paint doubted there would be any reason for Applejack's friends or anypony else to dislike him. He was quite eager to get to know somepony else around here, not that he had any problem with Applejack or her older brother, but with him being a social type of pony he was also on the look out to meet somepony new.

The apple farmer looked around at him every once in a few moments, probably to make sure that her guest was still following her and hasn't wondered off and got lost anyhow. Even with the short glances she was able to see Paint's enthusiasm and his interest in almost everything he saw. She couldn't help but chuckle at his excitement. He reminded her of Applebloom whenever she was trying to get permission from her or Big Macintosh to go out and play with her friends. There was no doubt that her little sister and Paint would have no trouble getting along, which made her even more thankful that Applebloom was out when he first arrived, otherwise she would be sticking to them both like a bee would stick to a flower, thus turning Paint's intent to explore Ponyville like a sane pony into a dream. It was also possible to tell that Paint had already seen quite a few places he wanted to check out. There were stores and ponies that caught his attention in every single corner, but Paint was able to resist the urge to go and talk to anyone, an urge which Applebloom would have never been able to defy if this was her first time seeing Ponyville.

Paint stopped following Applejack and came to a halt as he saw the library Twilight lived at with her assistant Spike. Applejack saw this the next time she turned around to make sure he was still there and gulped. She should have guessed that somepony whose talent was art would also be interested in books. If she had thought about it earlier she would have taken him another way, but the shortest way to Rarity's place was passing in sight of the library. She couldn't have him visit the library just yet, because of the surprise welcome party Pinkie decided to throw when she talked to her back at the farm and found out about the new pony's arrival, just before Paint actually arrived. "Um, let's keep it movin', Ah'd like you to meet my friends first, then you can go check out the library." Paint had the urge to go check the library out anyways, but it would be rude to just take off like that after Applejack offered to show him around the village, especially when considering that there was probably some work to be done around the farm and that her help might be needed there. Defeated, Paint followed Applejack, knowing that nopony would die if he checked the library out later instead of now, which caused her to hold back a sigh of relief.

The rest of the walk towards Carousel Boutique went pretty much the same way as it had until now, with Paint seeing interesting looking locations and ponies who seemed worth getting to know yet resisting the urge to go and take a better look. The two arrived by the door of the mentioned fashion store and Paint, knowing that Applejack was about to introduce him to a friend of her, was about to follow Applejack inside when she suddenly motioned for him to stop. "Err… Wait here for just a moment a'ight?" not that she didn't want him to meet Rarity, after all that's why she brought him there, but first she had to inform her unicorn friend of the upcoming surprise party and to make sure that she wouldn't say a word. So Paint stayed outside and Applejack made sure to close the door behind her after entering. Sitting down and simply looking around, he found himself staring at the outer design of the Carousel Boutique. The building had a very attractive design on its outside, something which caught Paint's attention more than it would have caught another pony's attention considering that he liked all sorts of art.

Eventually Paint decided that he had had enough of looking at the inviting-looking store and instead looked around, hoping that maybe somepony would pass by and thus grant him a chance to start a conversation. There were ponies walking around, but neither of them seemed like they were heading towards the Carousel Boutique. He stopped shifting his gaze from one pony to the one to his / her right when his eyes landed on Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were talking to each other. Soon enough, Applejack came out, "A'ight, you can come in now." She was about to go back inside, expecting him to follow her, but stopping when Paint didn't move. "Did ya'll hit your head while ah was gone?" he didn't seem to be even hearing her.

Applejack was about to simply drag him by his tale when he suddenly said. "She's…" he stopped, taking in a deep breath, "She's so beautiful…" Applejack followed her gaze before noticing her two pegasi friends who were talking in the distance. "She's like an angel…"

Applejack took her gaze off (of Fluttershy) to Paint, letting out a whistle, "Hold it there lover-boy" she said with a chuckle. "My friend's waiting to meet you." He would have plenty of time talking to Fluttershy at the surprise party Pinkie Pie was preparing, that is if Fluttershy would be able to handle talking to someone who was a stranger to her. With that out of the way, she led Paint into the Carousel Boutique like a sheepdog would herd sheep. Besides, if he had said the word 'angel', then he was most likely referring to Fluttershy.

Paint required a few moments to snap out of his 'trance' to realize that he was now in the Carousel Boutique. The colt went ahead and looked around the room where he and Applejack now were. There were mirrors, dresses, closets and papers with future designs on them. The schematics were what caught Paint's attention the most, even more than the actual dresses which he could tell were stitched by the one who drew the designs on the sheets, even if he was only looking at them from where he and Applejack were standing. He wanted to go get a better and closer look but figured out that doing that before greeting Applejack's friend and getting his / her permission would be rude.

Soon hoof steps could be heard from one of the nearby room, and after a few moments Rarity entered. It was obvious after a few moments that the unicorn was the owner of the place by her expression, her cutie mark and especially her nurtured-looking mane. "I am so sorry to keep you waiting darling," began the unicorn, "I just wanted to make sure that the, uh, place wasn't too messy before you came in." she couldn't tell him that she was actually preparing something for the party could she? Paint looked around and, after seeing that the place was actually looking like the total opposite of organized, was about to mention that when Rarity cut him short. "You should have seen it before I cleaned it up." The unicorn then went ahead to actually introducing herself to the pegasus. "I'm Rarity." She ran a hoof through her mane like she did almost everytime she mentioned her own name. "I'm a friend of Applejack as you've probably realized, welcome to Ponyville. This is the Carousel Boutique, which I own and run."

Paint smiled at the unicorn. She seemed friendly. "Thank you, I'm very happy to finally be here, I've been through a big amount of traveling. I'm Paint by the way."

Rarity chuckled one of her usual chuckles, "Yes, Applejack told me." She came over to him and Applejack, looking the pegasus over. "So you like to paint huh?" she asked after seeing his Cutie Mark.

"Well, yeah." He again looked at some of Rarity's sketching. "Did you draw these?"

"Why of course I did darling."

"They're very good, even if they're just the planning." At this Rarity's expression lit up. "Well I wouldn't expect otherwise. It's your talent from what I understood."

"Finally, a stallion who gets fashion!" exclaimed the unicorn with delight. Applejack couldn't help but roll her eyes. "Sometimes I think that all colts care about is the final product, but no, it's much more than that!" the mare unicorn continued, rather dramatically. "It's the progress, the hard work, the designing, the stitching!" she ended up looking at the ceiling as if she was actually talking to a huge crowd of ponies, even causing Paint to look up at the ceiling and search for anything that he thought might be up there.

"Um… Yeah…" he said, finding the moment rather odd as he heard Applejack chuckle.

"Oh this is just excellent! I've been considering working on outfits for stallion rather than just dresses."

"Well, if that's what you want, then you should."

"But darling, I can't just use these dolls for every single thing!" she said, referring to the pony-like dolls on which she would put her dresses after or before completing them.

"You can't?"

"Of course I can't! I also need to see somepony wear them before I can decide whether it's any good! That's why your arrival has such perfect timing my dear!"

"You know that any stallion can try on your designs for you…"

"But darling!" she cried out, standing beside him and putting a leg over his shoulder. "I need somepony who can appreciate my work!" Paint was about to nervously suggest that probably everypony was appreciating the progress of designing a piece of clothing, but was cut short before he could even open his mouth to do so. "Beside I need somepony who knows what he's talking about. Just look at it!" she waved her free hoof towards the ceiling, as if having a vision of the future. "With my talent I bet I'll be able to be just as successful as I am with my dresses!"

Paint laughed, slowly and nervously, "That's… great… I'll be happy to help you out if I can…" with that Rarity moved away.

"I can tell that we're going to get along quite swimmingly."

Applejack then said, "Well Rarity, if you don' mind, I still have some showin' around to do." She gave her a look telling her to be at the library soon for the party, a look Paint didn't seem to catch on to.

"While of course Applejack my dear." She said and looked at the stallion next to her once more. "It has been a pleasure meeting you darling." With that, the unicorn left in order to get prepared for the party Pinkie Pie was preparing to throw later, as always with the intention to look fabulous.

Applejack and Paint left the Carousel Boutique. Paint looked to where Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were talking just before he entered the Boutique, but sighed in disappointment when nopony was there. "Rarity's nice." He said, breaking the silence as he and Applejack walked. "So, the rest of your friends, do they tend to … act insane like that sometimes? I mean, not that I mind, but just give me a heads up or something…"

Applejack smiled nervously; "Well…" her mind went onto one pink coated pony who was probably the pony capable of the strangest behavior, "Yes." Being the Element of Honesty she would never lie, even on something simple like that. And so the two walked on, because of Applejack's intention to keep Paint busy enough until the party was ready and also because of him wanting to check out Ponyville. She again had to come up with some excuse to why they couldn't go to the library, something which she obviously did not like but it was in order to keep the surprise party a surprise. She kept Paint away from the library until she was sure that enough time has passed for Pinkie Pie and the others to finish preparing everything. Paint actually ran towards the library like an excited foal when Applejack finally gave him permission to, causing Applejack to run after him so to not have him enter before she did. The two arrived at the door, and Applejack knocked it four times. Paint didn't know this but this was her cue to the ponies inside, telling them to get ready.

Suppressing back a grin Applejack went ahead and opened the door. To Paint's confusion, the entire room was dark, which was weird for him because he could have sworn that he could see light coming out of the windows just a few moments ago. As soon as the confused pegasus and the earth pony next to him walked inside, the lights were turned on and Paint's eyes widened in surprise when he saw that the room was filled with a huge number of ponies, both colts and mares. "SURPRISE!" yelled everypony, smiling at Paint altogether as the astounded pegasus just stood there with his jaw dropped.

Paint continued to stand there for a few more moments, even though that for him it seemed like a really long time. While he wasn't a timid pony, this was still a very awkward moment. Soon enough music began to play and all the ponies went about enjoying the party, aside from Applejack who stayed next to paint, grinning at him. Soon enough, Pinkie Pie came hopping over with a huge smile of excitement on her face. "Hi! I'm Pinkie Pie!" said the pink earth pony, saying the words rather quickly and without too much space between each word. "I threw this party just for you because Applejack told me that somepony new would be coming into Ponyville earlier this morning and I was all like 'Wow I should totally through a party' and then I went here and I brought the party up just for you were you surprised?" Paint stared at her, having barely understood a word of what she had said to him. Next to him he could hear Applejack chuckle even despite the loud music. He already recognized Pinkie Pie as the pony with whom he saw Applejack earlier today upon arriving at 'Sweet Apple Acres' and that Pinkie Pie has probably decided to throw the party while she was there.

It took him a few more moments to regain his bearings, and he smiled at the pink earth pony. "Thank you Pinkie Pie, this is very nice of you…" he said as he noticed her Cutie Mark which consisted party balloons, "I'm guessing you're Applejack's friend right?"

Pinkie Pie let out a gasp of amazement, "Ooh, you're good!" Paint simply blinked a few times. After all he knew that she was Applejack's friend as a result of seeing her at the farm earlier today, so there wasn't anything to it really. With that, the pink pony giggled and hopped away, disappearing within the crowd of ponies.

Paint looked at Applejack with a look which meant that he had no idea what had just gone on with Pinkie Pie. "Don' worry, she's just bein' Pinkie." Said Applejack, smiling. Paint already realized that this party was the reason for Applejack not allowing him to go to the library earlier, but who cared about it now? There was a party which was brought up just to welcome him into Ponyville. Paint wasn't a loud type of pony, but he liked parties. "Tell you what sugar-cube, I'll let you wander around a bit if you wanna, then I'll introduce you to the rest of mah friends." With that the apple farmer left, trying to anticipate to herself how will Fluttershy react if Paint approached her. Paint looked at the group of partying ponies trying to catch a glimpse of the mare who he saw before Applejack introduced him to Rarity. That is, if she even was at the party. He really hoped he'd manage to find the guts to talk to the rainbow maned mare.

A/N: Thanks to those of you who read and comment , the next chapter will be here tomorrow =]

Edited by asafk8

(edited)

Chapter 3 - The Party

Not only were there probably over a hundred ponies in the library, but the library was also not as big as it appeared when one looked at it from the outside. Paint has been wondering around both floors of the library looking for Rainbow Dash, but he couldn't find her anywhere. He expected it to not be such a difficult task considering the mare's noticeable appearance, after all how hard could it be to spot a pony with a rainbow colored mane in a crowd of ponies considering that the colorful mane would make the mare in question stand out from the rest of the ponies in the room? Paint let out an annoyed sigh as he realized that she probably wasn't in the party, so he decided to just focus on the party Pinkie Pie was throwing for him and have fun. Realizing that he hadn't eaten anything since he had his breakfast, the stallion headed over to the food table set up next to the stairs which led to the second floor. There were drinks and all sorts of foods on the table, mostly cakes and cupcakes since Pinkie Pie obviously wanted to be the one to take charge of bringing snacks for the party, and working at Mr. and Mrs. Cake's shop made it an easy task.

He felt as if he was about to drool when he saw the delicious looking cakes on the table in front of him. There were cakes and cupcakes of all sizes, paints, frostings and decorations. Everything looked so tasty that, while any other starved pony would have simply grabbed the thing closest to him, paint didn't know what to eat first. The pegasus found himself licking his own lips when his eyes caught onto a brown cupcake with vanilla cream on the top and sprinkles on top of the cream. Paint was literally staring at the cupcake like a young foal would stare at a toy he wanted his parents to buy for him. It was so beautiful for a cupcake, so deliciously looking… The young colt was about to pick it up when suddenly an unknown yet familiar voice came from behind him. "You gonna eat that?!" before he even realized what was going on, Pinkie Pie was sitting on the table and, in the blink of an eye, she picked up the cupcake he was about to eat and literally shoved it into her own mouth. Paint watched, almost with horror, as the pink earth pony chewed loudly and then swallowed. "Mmm! Delicious!" exclaimed Pinkie Pie, taking an apple pie and shoving her face into it before disappearing in the crowd, leaving the disappointed pegasus to stare at the spot where the cupcake was just before Pinkie Pie ate it.

It took Paint a few moments to recover, as if he had just lost something which he was emotionally attached to. That cupcake looked like the most delicious cupcake in the world, and the fact that he hadn't eaten anything in such a long time didn't help him either. Defeated and knowing that he would not be getting that one cupcake, the pegasus stallion sighed and took a piece of chocolate cake instead, only after verifying that Pinkie Pie was nowhere in sight. The cake was tasty. In fact, almost anything was tasty when one was very hungry, but when one was very hungry that meant that things that were already tasty would be even tastier. Paint continued eating his piece of cake, enjoying and savoring every single bite of it. It was enough to stop him from being hungry and enough to allow him to set his mind back on the party. Deciding he'd drink some fruit punch before literally getting into the party, he was about to pick up the spoon in order to pour himself some juice when suddenly a purple aura appeared around it, causing Paint to take a small step away from the table. The spoon was suddenly lifted into the air, and then it floated over to a plastic cup and spilled the juice it had inside.

It's not that Paint was unfamiliar with the unicorns' magic abilities, having spent time with ones, worked for ones and even lived with ones before; it's just that he didn't really see it coming. Looking to his left, he could see a purple mare unicorn standing next to him with a friendly smile on her face. Since the magical aura which lifted the spoon was also purple, he figured that the unicorn he was no facing was the one responsible. "Oh, thank you." He said gratefully, smiling back at the purple unicorn. On the mare's back sat a baby dragon, who was also wearing a friendly smile on his face.

The mare gave him a short 'don't mention it' smile before saying, "My name is Twilight Sparkle. I wanted to welcome you to Ponyville and I hope you'll have an easy time around." She glanced around at the baby dragon sitting on her back, "This is Spike, and he's my assistant." Paint took a moment to look at the dragon, having never seen a dragon before in his life other than in paintings and pictures. "We both live here and run this library." She added. Spike smiled and gave the pegasus a wave of hello.

"It's nice to meet you Twilight and Spike." replied the stallion. "I wanted to come here earlier today as part of my 'tour around', but I wasn't allowed because of well… this whole party here." He said, referring to the surprise party Pinkie was throwing for him right now. Twilight was a little surprised upon hearing Paint's reply. This was probably the first pony she's ever met aside from Princess Luna and Princess Celestia who was actually interested in books. She should have expected that a pony whose talent was drawing would be interested in literature or history. "I guess I should be thanking you as well for this party then." Paint carried on, after a short pause. "You know, for providing the place and everything."

Twilight chuckled, "Oh, it's nothing. Pinkie Pie throws parties here a lot." While it took Twilight some time, she eventually grew used to having Pinkie's parties held at the library.

Paint didn't need too much time in order to put the pieces of information together. Twilight was obviously Pinkie Pie's friend and, since Pinkie Pie was Applejack's friend, that meant that Twilight was probably Applejack's and Rarity's friend too. "Well, Pinkie Pie just swallowed my cupcake and shoved her face into an apple pie…" he said, chuckling as well as earning a chuckle from both Twilight and Spike.

"Yeah, that's Pinkie Pie…" said Twilight, "Anyway, I heard that you'll be living with my friend Applejack and her family from now on, so I figured I should introduce myself."

"Thank you for the friendly welcome. I also met Rarity earlier and, well… Pinkie Pie who stole my cupcake…" he let out a sigh and Spike chuckled. "Applejack was planning to introduce me to her friends later, so I guess that would have included you as well." His mind suddenly went back to the incredibly beautiful pegasus mare he saw earlier when his eyes caught sight of Fluttershy who was on the other side of the room. She was speaking to Rainbow Dash today right before Paint went to meet Rarity, so maybe she knew where Rainbow Dash might be. "Could you excuse me? I'll see you guys later."

"Sure thing, we'll see you around." Responded the purple unicorn before she and the dragon disappeared into the crowd to carry on with the party.

Paint smiled. Twilight and Spike were nice. In fact, everypony in Ponyville seemed nice. He could remember seeing smiling faces in every corner of the street. No matter where he and Applejack went and no matter where he looked, he could always see traces of joy and happiness. This village was probably the liveliest pony-populated place he's ever been to, and Paint has been travelling for a very long time now. He left his birth place, a small town on which was on the other side of Equestria, in order to come to the famous town of Ponyville. After having read about the place and having heard about how it was one of the most beautiful spots in the world, Paint realized that this was where he'll feel perfect with his life, regardless of the fact that he would be staying in a small basement backroom from now on. Wealth was never something important in his point of view. And besides, with all that surrounded Ponyville, from Canterlot to the floating city of Cloudsdale, Ponyville was the perfect place for an artist who was seeking inspiration to live at.

The pegasus stallion went ahead and began making his way through the crowd, heading towards the pink maned and bright yellow-coated mare who seemed to be simply minding her own business. Fluttershy of course was not the type of pony who loved parties. She grew used to them over the time of being Pinkie Pie's friend, but she never shared even a single percent of the pink earth pony's enthusiasm when it came to parties. Then again, the only thing Fluttershy was excited about was anything animal-related. Mostly she would be able to tolerate being surrounded by so many ponies only if she was with one of her friends, but now she wasn't next to either of them. Coming closer, Paint saw that Fluttershy was talking to a face who he had seen earlier today; Big Macintosh.

Paint found himself therefore connecting pieces of information once more. If Applejack's brother knew this mare then so did Applejack and her friends which were Pinkie Pie, Twilight and Rarity, meaning that they all knew the rainbow-maned mare Paint was looking for, and if the mare in question knew Pinkie Pie, then that made the chances of Rainbow Dash being at the party even bigger. Paint smiled as he arrived next to the two who seemed to be in a busy conversation, which surprised him since Big Macintosh didn't seem like a pony who talked much. "Hey there Big-Mac." said Paint upon arriving next to the two. All Big Macintosh did was smile and exchange a short brohoof with him. "I never figured you were the partying type."

"Eeyup." As for Fluttershy, all she did was look down at the floor nervously because of the presence of the stranger. She recognized him as someone who was not from Ponyville and realized that he was the pegasus who will be staying with Applejack and her family from now on, both because of the fact that he wasn't from Ponyville and also from the way he and Big Macintosh greeted each other.

Paint went ahead and looked at Fluttershy next, who only looked at him in the corner of her eye before gazing back down at the floor. "Hey." While he was looking for Rainbow Dash, it wouldn't be polite to simply ask where she was without introducing himself first, especially since Fluttershy was another one of Applejack's friends. "I'm Paint; I'll be staying with your friend Applejack and Big Macintosh." All the shy mare did was staring at the floor while slowly moving one of her front legs back and forth. "Um… What's your name?"

Fluttershy's eyes went from Paint to the floor a few times and after what seemed to be a rather long while, she opened her mouth to say something. Paint could see her lips moving, but no sound ever came out as far as he was aware. Since Fluttershy's voice could be extra difficult to hear when she was being timid, then with the music in the background it was simply impossible to hear her. "Um… What did you say?" Paint asked, taking a step closer and turning his ear in Fluttershy's direction. The mare again muttered something, and Paint again heard nothing. "What?"

In the corner his eye Paint could see Fluttershy take a deep breath, and before he could even prepare himself, "Fluttershy!" the yellow mare literally screamed her name into her ear, causing the stallion to jump aback a few steps. It took him a few moments to recover himself and he again came over to the do. "Oh, I'm sorry… I didn't mean to yell…" This time Fluttershy seemed to have an easier time speaking to him. While Paint thought that it was the result of breaking through some sort of a barrier of shyness, it was actually Big Macintosh's presence that was making her feel more secure around the unfamiliar pegasus.

Paint chuckled, rubbing his somewhat 'damaged' ear. "Oh, it's okay Fluttershy, really." Big Macintosh had his usual blank expression the entire time, but as he shifted his gaze from Paint to Fluttershy, there was a small smile on his face as the silence between the three ponies continued for a rather long and awkward moment. Fluttershy looked around and, upon noticing Big Macintosh looking, her cheek turned red and she looked down at the floor again, smiling a shy and nervous smile. It took Paint a few moments of looking from Big Macintosh to Fluttershy and then from Fluttershy to Big Macintosh a few times in order to realize that he was probably interrupting, but he still wanted to know whether he had any chance of coming across Rainbow Dash during this party. "Um…" he said, getting the two's attention again, "Fluttershy, I happened to have seen you earlier today near the Carousel Boutique and I was wondering… The other pegasus you were talking to…" Fluttershy simply stared at him, confused. "Is she here? As in here in the party?"

Fluttershy thought for a moment, only realizing that Paint was asking about Rainbow Dash after a few moments of confusion. "Oh, you mean my friend Rainbow Dash?" at this Paint's expression lit up. What were the odds of Fluttershy having a friend named Rainbow Dash who didn't have a rainbow colored mane and tail? That was her for sure. "Well, we came to the party together." Paint was about to ask whether she knew where he could find Rainbow Dash, but Fluttershy went ahead and answered the question before it was even asked. "I don't know where she is now though."

"Okay, thanks for letting me know."

"Oh, you're not mad at me are you? If I knew where she was I would tell you, honest…" replied the mare, her expression the one of a little foal with a guilty conscience.

Paint chuckled, "I'm not mad." At least he knew that Rainbow Dash was at the party. "Thanks. I'll see you both later I guess." He and Big Macintosh exchanged another brohoof before Paint walked off to look for Rainbow Dash. Then it occurred to him; He was looking for a mare who he could barely look at without having his legs shake. What was he going to say? How will he make himself not look like a complete idiot? Will somepony as beautiful as her even waste her time so to answer somepony like him when he approached her and said hello? Sighing, the blue coated stallion continued looking through the crowd, again having difficulty finding Rainbow Dash because of the huge amount of ponies inside the small library. It appeared that locating a pony whose looks made him stand out from a crowd could be more difficult than it looked. The stallion brought a hoof over to his forehead as he realized how stupid he was acting; it would be much easier location Rainbow Dash from the air rather than while walking through the crowd. Feeling like a complete idiot, the pegasus unfolded his wings and flew almost to the height of the ceiling.

It was much easier to look over the crowd from the air. Paint looked over the ponies on the first floor. He could see Twilight and Spike who were talking to Applejack and Rarity, Fluttershy who was talking to Big Macintosh and Pinkie Pie who was literally all over the place. Still, there was no sign of Rainbow Dash. The pegasus looked over to the ponies who were up on the second floor, frowning upon not seeing her there either. Where in the hay, like Applejack might have complained if this search was up to her, could this pony be? Paint's eyes suddenly caught onto something, the door on the other side of the second floor which led to the small balcony. He descended and made his way towards it by foot, crossing the fingers he did not have in his mind. It was hard to see through whatever sort of glass there was on this door, so Paint had to come closer. Once he was close enough, his hopeful expression turned into a smile. Outside, on the balcony, was sitting no other than Rainbow Dash.

A/N: Again thanks to all of you who read and comment on this =]

EDIT:

Chapter 4 - Sparks of Romance

Two weeks before the current time / the party

It was a normal evening around the small town of Ponyville. The town was as crowded as always, from ponies having dinners at restaurants to foals playing together in the streets. To Big Macintosh there was a big emphasis on the part with the playing foals, because he was heading towards the Carousel Boutique where the Cutie Mark Crusaders were hanging out. The crimson coated stallion was hoping that the three fillies, his sister and Scotaloo in particular, would have released most of the energy which was stored in their tiny little bodies while they were at school by the time he came to pick Applebloom and Scotaloo from Rarity's place. Applejack was the one who was supposed to do it, but she forgot she had a meeting with a few of her friends and therefore asked Big Macintosh to do it, so he didn't really have much of a choice. Not that he hated the three fillies, but their over enthusiasm could sometime get a little unbearable even for a calm pony like himself. Applejack also told him about promising Scootaloo's parents that she'd pick their daughter up as well on the way, so he would need to make sure that the orange coated little pegasus also got home safe and sound.

The stallion took in a deep breath, trying to mentally prepare himself for what was soon to come. The three fillies had a hobby of being extra energetic around him. In fact he could still remember the love potion they created during the Hearts and Hooves Day. After realizing what they had done, he felt pretty embarrassed knowing that he was probably 2 minutes away from marrying a mare who was simply his friend. At least it was fun to mess with the three fillies afterwards and make them believe that they really were in love while they actually weren't, for it was amusing to watch their reactions. Soon Big Macintosh could see the Boutique, and expected to hear a lot of commotion. He was surprised when he heard nothing. How was Rarity keeping them behaved, he had no idea. Perhaps she should tutor him sometime. He stopped by the door and looked at the sky. There were no clouds, meaning that the weather ponies were already done with their duties for the day. The sight of the setting sun was always able to calm anypony down, something which Big Macintosh found very helpful considering the fact he was about to accompany two of the most energetic foals in all of Equestria.

Rarity was more than happy to have Big Macintosh finally arrive to take Scootaloo and Applebloom home. Even she had to admit that the three fillies together were cute, but there was a limit to how much she could take of the three in one afternoon. Applebloom was sitting happily on her brother's back while Scootaloo was next to them on her scooter, flapping her tiny wings to make it go but not flapping them too fast so that she could stay close chat with Applebloom. Big Macintosh wasn't really paying attention to the conversation. Having them talk to one another surely was better than to have them run all around him. They just never seemed to run out of energy, and they would almost always take an opportunity to mess with somepony if they had it. He should have paid attention to the meaning of the words that were coming out of their little mouths with their squeaky tones, because before he realized it Applebloom jumped onto Scootaloo's scooter and the orange filly began flapping her wings much faster. Soon enough the two disappeared between some trees that were nearby, the sounds of their sassy laughter filling the air.

Having worked at the farm since morning, Big Macintosh was obviously not in the mood to play tag with the two fillies, but he couldn't just let them run off on their own considering it will be dark soon. Even if he did have very strong legs as the result of spending most of his time working at the farm, nopony was ever able to outrun Scootaloo when she was on her scooter, even with Applebloom putting some extra weight on the scooter and therefore making it harder for the little pegasus. How come Scootaloo hasn't yet realized that this was her special talent, nopony knew. Despite the speed of the scooter Scootaloo didn't have a hard time navigating between the trees. The orange filly wasn't really aiming at that, but while on the run from Big Macintosh she happened to pass by Fluttershy's cottage. She was in fear of letting Big Macintosh catch up and therefore kept going. Big Macintosh was about to do the same, but his legs stopped responding and he came to a halt as his ears caught onto what sounded like the most gentle and beautiful voice in the world.

"Hush now, quiet now, it's time to lay your sleepy head." He stood there motionlessly for a few moments before looking in the direction of the beautiful voice and locating its source; Fluttershy. "Hush now, quiet now, it's time to go to bed." She was singing a lullaby to a group of rabbits, but even though the song wasn't aimed at him Big Macintosh felt like falling asleep right where he was. Maybe it was the result of working hard in the farm all day long. Now that he was thinking about it, he never actually talked to Fluttershy before. Surely he had seen her sometimes, but she never stayed long enough for him to consider making an approach. In fact, it was the result of her avoiding him, but he didn't know that. Now that he was actually able to look at her for more than two seconds straight and to hear her voice, her beautiful voice, he couldn't help himself from seeing her as the prettiest mare in all of Equestria. It was like that love potion all over again, only that this time he hadn't been drinking any. The proof to that was simple; unlike when he was under the effects of that potion during the Hearts and Hooves Day, this time he was feeling too shy to approach, while back then the love potion made both him and Cherilee simply lose control. While it didn't look like it because of Big Macintosh's being bigger than most stallions his age, he was shyer than he looked.

He continued standing there and stared as Fluttershy continued singing her lullaby to the bunnies. Soon enough, Scootaloo and Applebloom arrived back by Big Macintosh for a simple reason; running away from him wasn't fun at all if he wasn't going to chase them. "Aw common big brother, you're takin' all the fun out of it." Complained Applebloom, getting Fluttershy's attention even though that wasn't what she was planning to do. In fact Applebloom didn't even notice the shy pegasus' presence. "It ain't fun if you're not chasin' us." Only then did she notice Fluttershy was there. "Oh, hey Fluttershy, I didn' see you there."

Fluttershy stood there motionlessly just like Big Macintosh. Why out of all the ponies on earth did Applejack's older brother end up there? She's had a crush on him for a long time now and, being the shy and timid pony she was, she never dared speak about it to anypony else. It was actually even worse than it sounded. Being so shy made it impossible to even be next to Big Macintosh without feeling as if she was about to freak out, which was why she did her best to avoid him at all cost. But now, it was just him, her and the two fillies, next to her own house. There was no crowd to disappear into, no way to come up with an excuse that wouldn't make her appear rude, nothing. "Oh… Hello girls." She said, managing a smile at the two fillies and then looking at Big Macintosh so to not appear rude, only that this time she spoke in her usual shy tone, like she did when she first met Twilight. "Hey Big Macintosh…" All the stallion in front of her could manage was a short wave of 'hello' with one his hooves. He was never a prattler.

Applebloom looked from Big Macintosh to Fluttershy a few times as did Scootaloo as a result of the rather awkward silence. Both of them, even Fluttershy, were being unusually nervous, and both of them were avoiding each other's gaze and staring at the ground. After a moment or two, there were huge smiles on the two fillies' faces. What lay in front of their eyes was big, in their opinions at least. Applebloom and Scootaloo didn't even need to speak to one another in order to decide that they should totally help those two get together. Fluttershy was timid, and surprisingly, so was Big Macintosh; they'll be perfect for each other for sure! Now wasn't the right time to act yet. Considering the two's shy personalities, especially Fluttershy's, they'll need to plan this operation very carefully. A silent nod was exchanged between the two and the decision was made; they would talk to Sweetie Belle about this first thing in the morning before class starts, then they'll go to their tree house after school was over and have a secret meeting in order to decide how they were going to do this. Unlike last time with Cherilee during the Hearts and Hooves Day, there was no doubt that the two ponies in front of them had some sort of feelings for each other, and it seemed like all they needed was just a little push. How could they have not seen this before? One thing was for sure; no 'love potion' was going be involved this time.

Applebloom and Scootaloo nodded at each other once more before the orange little pegasus said, "Is it getting late or is it just me?" she asked, suppressing back a chuckle. "We should probably get going don't you think Big Mac?" Big Macintosh looked at the orange filly after a few moments of continual staring at the ground and gave her a nod.

"Ah guess we'll see you around Fluttershy." said Applebloom who was also holding back a chuckle.

Fluttershy looked at the two fillies with her warm smile, "Okay girls." She forced herself to look at Big Macintosh, again not wanting to seem rude and again speaking a little more quietly. "It was nice to see you Big Macintosh." Nice? Maybe the fact that he was there was nice, but what about her? She was feeling like a complete disaster right now. She has never felt more embarrassed in her entire life. How was she ever going to do something about that crush if she could barely talk to Big Macintosh not to mention that she was way too nervous about her crush on him in order to talk about it to anypony?

As for Big Macintosh, he was feeling pretty much the same thing. His shyness almost got him to simply give Fluttershy a simple nod as a sign of agreement, but this was obviously no way to say goodbye, especially to a lady. Instead, the stallion forced himself to speak, something which he hardly did. "It was nice to see you too Miss Fluttershy." Applebloom and Scootaloo looked at each other once more as they held back giggles. After another short, yet long and awkward silence, the crimson coated stallion began leading the way again and Fluttershy went back into her cottage. This time there were no tricks from the two fillies' side, instead they were focused on hiding their excitement from Big Macintosh, even if he was doing just the same thing with his nervousness and was therefore not paying much attention to what the two were doing.

The next day, the Cutie Mark Crusaders met at their club house first thing after school was over. This wasn't going to be as easy as it was with Cherilee during the Hearts and Hooves day for two reasons; One was that they couldn't use any love potion this time, the second was that Big Macintosh and Fluttershy were barely able to exchange a few words between them, which made the task at hand (or hoof) extremely complicated. The three fillies found themselves at a dead end. How were they going to get two extremely shy and timid ponies to admit their feelings for each other?

"It's like… trying to make Rainbow Dash look ridiculous rather than cool!" complained Scootaloo, bringing a hoof over to her forehead in frustration.

"How are we going to get these two together? It sounds literally impossible!" complained Sweetie Belle, who also had no idea. "I have nothing." She admitted, letting her head drop onto the table.

"Well we can't just let these two stay apart from each other!" said Applebloom. "They're meant to be together! Ah can just feel it!"

Scootaloo's face suddenly lit up, "There's nothing Rainbow can't do, maybe she-"

"No offense Scootaloo, but I don't think that Dash is into all that romantic stuff…" said Sweetie Belle with a sigh, "The problem here is that there's no way to get either of them to confess their feelings… If Fluttershy knew that Big Macintosh liked her or the other way around, it wouldn't be much of a problem."

"You have a point." Scootaloo said, sounding defeated.

"Well," said Applebloom after a short silence. "Maybe they won' ever say it, but what if we did?"

Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle both looked at her, confused, "What do you mean?" they both asked, at the same time.

"Well, Ah've been thinkin'… They won' tell each other how they're feelin', but we can do it… If we spill the beans, it'll make things a lot easier for 'em."

"Are you sure it's a good idea?" asked Sweetie belle.

"I have to agree with Sweetie Belle on that…" said Scootaloo, "Don't you think it'll be best if they're the ones to tell the truth to each other?"

Applebloom sighed and rolled her eyes, "Well do either of you girls have a better idea?"

At this her two friends said nothing. They exchanged a look or two before looking back at Applebloom and nodding in agreement. "Alright, we'll do it."

Applebloom grinned slyly, "Alright then. But we shouldn't just spill it out right away… We'll have to do this slowly, and carefully." With that the three fillies began scheming.

The next day, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle approached Fluttershy's cottage after school. They were to talk to her and Applebloom was to take care of Big Macintosh.

"Oh, hello there girls, how are you?" asked Fluttershy, smiling at the two fillies.

"Everything's great Fluttershy." Said Sweetie Belle, "Say, you remember when we were here yesterday with, you know, Big Macintosh…"

Fluttershy's cheeks turned noticeably red at that, causing her to look down at the ground. "Yes girls." She said her voice a little quieter.

"Well, he wanted to know whether you'd like to, um… How do I say it? He was wondering whether you'd like to hang out with him later today." continued the little unicorn.

Fluttershy looked at the two fillies again, her face lighting up a little, "You mean… Like a date?"

"Oh! Is that what it means?" asked Scootaloo, holding back a chuckle, "Well, I guess he's asking you out then."

Fluttershy was speechless. This was probably the best thing that could be happening to her right now. Did that mean that he liked her? While she was still feeling a little apprehensive about approaching him, she was feeling somewhat more confident. "Oh, I'd love to"! She said in excitement, as excited as her voice would allow her to sound. "But, why didn't he come here himself?"

"Oh, you know Big Mac, so busy working at the farm all day long. If he comes here himself when he's done how will he have time to prepare everything for later huh? Well, uh… Be there before sunset." Sweetie Belle concluded.

"Oh, ah… girls…" came Fluttershy's voice as they were about to leave, "Don't tell anypony else about this alright?" she figured that, if she would end up going out with Big Macintosh, that it would be better if they will be the ones to tell it to everypony who'll need to know, like Applejack for example. But right now, there was no guaranteeing that they would get together, so there was no need to make a big deal out of it.

"Our lips are sealed."

Back at the farm, Applebloom approached her brother, "Hey, Big Mac!" she said, getting his attention. "Don' deny it but Ah saw you in front of Fluttershy yesterday, you were a mess." Her brother stared at her, feeling embarrassed. If he was blushing, it was impossible to see because of his crimson coat. "So I sent Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo to ask 'er about for you."

Big Macintosh's jaw dropped, "You did what now?" considering that Big Macintosh had just said more than a single 'Eeyup' or 'Nope', that meant, in this particular case, that he was absolutely shocked. He still remembered the last time the three tried to help him with romantic matters.

Applebloom giggled, "You'll thank me for this later." She said with a hint of pride in her voice.

When Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle arrived back, the Cutie Mark Crusaders went ahead and helped Big Macintosh with whatever chores he had left so that they'll have enough time preparing everything. Luckily, Applejack would be out with some of her friends again so there will be no problem for the three fillies to keep up their promise to Fluttershy about keeping the whole thing a secret. The three, along with Big Macintosh who seemed naturally nervous, prepared everything on one of the hills not so far away from the barn where there will be a good view of the sunset. The Cutie Mark Crusaders set things out the same way they did for Big Macintosh and Cherliee during the Hearts and Hooves Day; a tablecloth on the grass with some food, fruit punch, and candles.

"This is gonna be so great!" exclaimed Applebloom. She heard an annoyed groan and looked at her brother, who was examining the fruit punch. "Don' worry big brother, no love beverage in there this time." Big Macintosh raised an eyebrow at her and she chuckled. "You have mah word big brother, Ah promise."

After a while the four were done with the preparations and, after the three fillies sent Big Macintosh to take a shower, they decided to have a little talk of encouragement with him. "Alright, now remember brother," began Applebloom. "Be a gentlecolt."

"Talk more than you usually do." said Scootaloo.

"Make sure to let her know that she can feel confident around you." Said Sweetie Belle.

Just then, the three were able to see Fluttershy, who was nervously approaching from the bottom of the hill. "Ooh! Here she comes!" said Applebloom with excitement; "Give her these flowers!" before Big Macintosh realized it there was a garland of all types of flowers next to the candles. "And if she asks, you prepared this all on your own."

The fillies were about to run off but Big Macintosh stopped them. "Hey, no spyin' this time." The fillies frowned at him with annoyance, but they knew better than to get on Big Macintosh's nerves when he was serious. They began to walk off. "Girls?" they turned around upon hearing his voice again. "Thanks." The three giggled and then ran off. Big Macintosh turned his head in Fluttershy's direction.

The shy mare was still heading up the hill, and soon enough, she was standing right in front of him. ""H-hey, Big Macintosh…" she said quietly, her cheeks red. She looked around nervously, noticing the lovely looking picnic the three fillies helped him organize. "Oh, it's lovely." She walked over and onto the tablecloth, smiling. "Did you make this all on your own?"

Big Macintosh nodded, "Eey-" he suddenly remembered Scootaloo's advice. "Yes, Miss Fluttershy." He went ahead and gave her the flowers, and he couldn't help but smile when he heard Fluttershy giggle quietly upon receiving them. The two went ahead and sat down. They ate, drank some fruit punch, talked and laughed. They were obviously having a wonderful time. Fluttershy spoke on the problems she was sometimes experiencing with her animals, and was more than delighted when he listened to every single word she said, unlike her friends who would quickly grow bored of the subject. Next Big Macintosh talked about how difficult it could be around the farm, but he also said that he was grateful to have his sisters around to help most of the time. Even though Applebloom wasn't able to help as much as Applejack, he still appreciated it when she tried.

Before they even realized it, the sun was already setting down in the west. Time sure did fly when you were having fun. The two smiled at each other and then silently looked at the sunset, inching slightly closer to each other every once in a few moments. At some point, they're sides came in contact, causing them both to take their gaze off the sunset and look into each other's eyes. Fluttershy smiled shyly with a blush and, after a small hesitation, rested her head on Big Macintosh's shoulder. They spent the rest of the evening in silence. When the sun was nearly out of view, Fluttershy moved away and said that she should probably get going to make sure that her animals were alright. She thanked him for the wonderful time, saying that she'll be happy to do this again sometime soon. Big Macintosh happily agreed with her, and he asked her whether she'd like to watch the sunset with him again tomorrow. She agreed and they both left. Big Macintosh entered the house looking like the happiest stallion alive. Lucky for him, Applejack had already sent Applebloom to sleep and the other two fillies had already went home, so there were no questions from them about how did the date go.

Fluttershy and Big Macintosh spent some time together again the next day, and the day after that, and the day after that. After about a week, they had their first kiss. It took place on the same hill where the two had their first date during a perfect looking sunset. Both of them knew that they'll have to tell everypony soon, but they didn't feel ready yet, and probably wouldn't any time soon.

A/N: Thanks to the few of you who actually read this =]

Edited by asafk8

To me Paint seemed to be very bland through out the first chapter but after reading the second and third I've come to see him as far more interesting despite his rather simplistic name. I suppose the fixation he has with Rainbow Dash caught me and I loved the way you created a cliffhanger before he got the chance to confront her and brought us up to speed with Big Mac and Fluttershy.

Only real criticism, and I may be nitpicking a little, is Rarity's excessive use of the word "darling." Brings back bad G3 memories.

Over all, really enjoyed it and am intent on reading more.

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

Chapter 5 - Rarity's Opportunity

It's not that Paint didn't like to party. In fact he loved it whenever an opportunity presented itself, and to be honest Pinkie Pie's party was looking like one of the best one he's ever been to. The only thing was that Rainbow Dash was doing a much better job getting his attention; in fact he had already forgotten that one cupcake Pinkie stole from him. Rainbow Dash was still sitting out on the balcony and still looking out into the horizon. Paint stopped a few inches from the door and took in a deep breath. He could do this. How hard could it possibly be? It's not like he's never talked to a mare he has taken a liking in before. Now that he was thinking about it, he actually hasn't. Frowning as a result of making himself even more nervous, the pegasus stallion forced his thoughts of his lack of experience out of his mind. The worst thing that might happen was her laughing at him or thinking he was weird or both, but it wouldn't be that bad would it? Rainbow herself was yet to notice the colt who was about to open the door and approach her, in fact she was pretty much off in her own little world right now. I know you've expected her to be inside enjoying the party, because that's just the type of pony she is, but she couldn't be inside right now.

Earlier that day, a few minutes after Paint and Applejack leaving the Carousel Boutique

Rainbow Dash had just said goodbye to her friend Fluttershy after accompanying her on the way back to her cottage. After they parted, Fluttershy went inside her cottage with the intention of preparing for the party, so that she could look her best when she met Big Macintosh there of course. Pinkie Pie throwing a party was something that happened at least once a week if not daily. After that one time when Pinkie thought that her friends hated her parties, neither of them has ever missed her parties again even if they really did have a good reason to, not after the way it sent Pinkie Pie insane. They hated seeing her like that, and were glad that they wouldn't have to see that sight ever again. The only thing that was a bit different in Rainbow's perspective about this one party was that it was to welcome a new pony into Ponyville, a new pegasus to be more precise. Just hearing that the new pony who would be staying with her friend Applejack was a pegasus was enough to get the rainbow-maned pegasus mare into a competitive mood. After all, she did have a reputation to maintain, but she doubted anypony would be able to outfly her, unless that new pegasus would suddenly turn out to be an undercover member of the Wonderbolts. That would never happen, but it would be so awesome if it did.

She took off in full speed as always and headed towards the Carousel Boutique, deciding to talk to Rarity and see whether she knew anything about this new arrival. She would have asked Applejack, but she knew that the earth pony was probably busy with the task of keeping the new pony occupied until the party was ready. Since Applejack was busy with that, and Pinkie Pie was busy preparing the party with Twilight there to make sure that Pinkie didn't destroy the library during the process and Fluttershy being just as clueless as Rainbow Dash herself, Rainbow figured that Rarity might have some answers for her. It took her maybe a few seconds flat before she was next to the Boutique. She doubted that Rarity was not there, but she still went ahead and looked through the window just to be certain. Not to her surprise, Rarity was there alright, and in front one of her mirrors of course. Chuckling at how obvious her friend could be sometimes, Rainbow Dash was about to open the door to enter when suddenly there was a short sound of fire, causing the rainbow-maned pegasus to go back to the window and look inside again. She could see a small green fire in the middle of the room. Soon, the fire died and a scroll was lying on the floor, just like with Spike when Twilight received letters only that this time the scroll appeared out of nowhere.

Raising an eyebrow with curiosity, Rainbow Dash stood there looking through the window as Rarity went over to the scroll and picked it up with her magic, looking just as surprised as Rainbow Dash if not more surprised. The unicorn went ahead and used her magic to open the scroll before reading it to herself. Even though Rainbow was outside, she was able to hear enough in order to understand, and Rarity didn't seem to notice the fact that her friend was watching her. "To my long-time-no-seen friend Rarity," the unicorn began, looking up from the scroll. "It's Fancy Pant's writing!" sounding excited, she went ahead and continued reading. "It has been a long time since your visit to Canterlot. I must say that I am sorry for not being able to write sooner, but I am a very busy pony as you probably know. Anyway, I am writing to inform you that today a very important pony came over to see me. Apparently, she was there during that one garden party you and I attended in the Royal Canterlot Garden. She saw the designs you and your friend wore and was most astounded. She turned out to be a very important business mare in fashion who works with Photo Finish, and she came to me asking if I could contact you. She would like to offer you a job as a main designer." Rarity paused, letting out an excited squeal.

"Oh, my, gosh, of all the things that could happen, this is the, best, possible thing!" Rarity let out another squeal. "This is obviously the one time opportunity I've been waiting for! This is my chance to show my talent to all of Equestria!" Rainbow Dash couldn't help but smile, feeling more than happy for her friend. Excited, Rarity went ahead and continued reading. "Accepting the job will mean-" suddenly her tone dropped from excited tone to an oddly troubled one. "-will mean permanent and immediate relocation in Canterlot. You have a week to consider the offer and-" the blue glow around Rarity's horn disappeared and the scroll dropped to the floor before she finished reading it. Rainbow Dash immediately looked just as troubled. Rarity can't accept something like that can she? "What should I do?" the unicorn asked, talking to herself yet again. "This could be the chance I've been waiting for my whole life, to be a famous fashion designer and live in Canterlot like I've always dreamed, but…" Rainbow couldn't stand there any longer. She was about to enter and tell Rarity to not accept the offer but she couldn't do it. She couldn't simply burst into the room and tell her friend to ignore this amazing opportunity. Instead she found herself flying away from the Boutique, stopping only when she was high above Ponyville. She sat down on a cloud and closed her eyes with a heavy sigh.

Back to the present time / the party

That was the reason for Rainbow Dash not being inside. She just couldn't see Rarity right now. She knew that there was no reason to blame anypony, but she just wouldn't be able to handle seeing her while knowing that this might be one of the last times she would ever see her as a pony who lived in Ponyville. Even if Rarity still hasn't made her decision yet, Rainbow just couldn't consider seeing her or any of her friends right now, since she doubted she'll be able to keep the decision Rarity will have to face a secret without spilling it out to the rest of their friends. She let out a sigh and turned around in order to see whether anything interesting was happening inside, letting out a startled yelp upon seeing a blue stallion just a few feet in front of her.

Paint blinked a few times. Obviously he didn't have the intention to frighten Rainbow Dash like that, but he should have figured that something like this would happen considering just how unlucky anypony could be from time to time. "Um…" he started, obviously nervous, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you…" now that he was facing her directly, he realized that this conversation was going to prove far more difficult than he had anticipated. Her pink eyes were so amazingly beautiful, and he forced his green eyes to look down at the floor when he realized he was staring.

Rainbow Dash simply stared back at him for a few moments before making her reply. "Scare me? I wasn't scared."

Paint smiled and looked back at her, "Oh, good to know." Even her voice was enchanting. "Uh… you're Applejack's friend Rainbow Dash, am I right?"

Rainbow Dash looked a little surprised at the new pony knowing that. "Yeah, that's me." She couldn't help but grin, "Why, did she tell you all about me already?"

"Well… no…" he replied, to Rainbow Dash's disappointment, "I happened to have seen you near Rarity's place earlier; actually it was Fluttershy who told me your name just a few moments ago." Rainbow Dash almost winced at the mention of Rarity, the entire uneasiness of her mind returning to her all at once. "Um… I'm Paint. It's nice to meet you."

Rainbow Dash forced the troubling thoughts of Rarity out of her head. "So you'll be staying with Applejack from now on huh?" he nodded, "Well, welcome to Ponyville I guess."

"Thanks." he said, smiling rather sheepishly.

"I'm the fastest flyer in all of Equestria you know." She had to get to showing off at some point. She liked to show off in front of everypony.

"You are?" he asked, finding it kind of hard to believe a random pegasus who suddenly claimed herself to be the fastest flyer in Equestria. "I thought the fastest flyers were the Wonderbolts."

Rainbow Dash said, "Well, that's true… I meant fastest young flyer." She didn't, but she would always say she did if anypony mentioned the Wonderbolts. "I won the Best Young Flyer Competition." She added, her tone filled with pride.

"Really?"

"Yeah, I even got that crown thingy to prove it. I got to spend a whole day with the Wonderbolts." She grinned.

"You did? That must have been awesome." He might not be a flying expert, but he too was a fan of the Wonderbolts. He would sometimes draw specific 'moments' from their performances, since the figures they made in the sky were also art in one way or another. He was certainly enjoying Rainbow Dash's company, even if she was busy boasting most of the time.

"Well, how could I have not won? I did a Sonic Rainboom."

This caused Paint's jaw to drop, "But I thought it was just an old pony's tale."

Rainbow Dash grinned proudly, "It was until I came."

"I will be more than excited to see something like that."

At this Rainbow Dash lost a small bit of enthusiasm, "I wish I could show you, but I can't just do it when I feel like it… I only got it back then because my friend Rarity was falling through the sky…" the smile completely left her face upon mentioning Rarity's name again.

"Oh, its okay, I believe in believing. I believe you." He said, smiling at her.

"Bet I can beat you in a race."

Paint chuckled. She could beat him all day for all her cared. "I don't think I stand a chance." He could tell so from her cutie mark and from the fact that she was considered a very fast flyer. "So… You like, live in the clouds and all of that?"

"Of course I do." said Rainbow Dash, raising an eyebrow. "Just like a pegasus should."

"I've never really been to a cloud city, only to flying school."

This time it was Rainbow Dash whose jaw to drop. "What kind of a pegasus are you?"

Paint chuckled, "I've never been into flying that much. I mean I fly, but not like you do."

"You can't be serious."

"It might not make sense, but my parents are both earth ponies. Aside from flight school, I've been living on the ground. Because they were both earth ponies my parents thought that me being born a pegasus meant I would be a good racer one day and that I was meant to be an excellent flyer, but it never really happened… I was more into drawing and art. We were never really close, that's why I've been traveling for so long."

"I'm sorry to hear that." Rainbow said, feeling a little guilty from bringing up the subject.

"It's alright. I'm happy with my life so far."

"Well, maybe there's something I can do to help." She said, grinning arrogantly.

"Oh, I don't think you can convince my parents into liking me really." He said, absolutely clueless to what she really meant.

"I meant about your flying problem." She said, chuckling. "I bet I can show you how to actually have fun with those wings of yours." Also, this would be a chance to show him just how awesome of a flier she was.

As for Paint, this would be a great opportunity to spend some time with his newly found crush. "I'd love that, it sounds great." On top of that, who knew, she just might be able to introduce him into a new hobby. Well, at least she didn't seem upset about being around him or about the fact that she will probably see him a lot considering that he'll be living with the Apple Family from now on. "But there will probably be work to do around Sweet Apple Acres, so I guess I'll only have time in the afternoon."

"Oh, don't mention it; I'm busy in the mornings anyway."

"Busy nappin' you mean?" the two heard Applejack's voice and looked in the direction of the balcony's door to see her standing there with a grin across her face.

"How long have you been there?" asked Rainbow, curious.

"Ah arrived jus' when you explained how busy of a pony you are." replied she with a chuckle.

"Very funny AJ." replied Rainbow with a fake frown.

"We've been lookin' all over for you two."

Rainbow didn't like the sound of that. "We?"

"Why, me and the rest of the girls of course." said Applejack with a chuckle. "Com'on, the party's inside Rainbow." Rainbow was a little nervous about going inside because she knew that her friends were waiting there, including Rarity. There was no use trying to avoid her now though, not when they were all waiting for her to come so that they could spend some of the party together.

Defeated yet not showing signs of apprehension, Rainbow went inside with Applejack, Paint followed. The rest of the Mane 6 were already there on the second floor waiting. There was still music and ponies all over the place, but the 6 mares always spent at least some of a party together. Fluttershy was there but without Big Macintosh this time, because she didn't want her friends to think that she was talking to him a bit too much so to not get them suspicious. She and Big Macintosh would tell them once they felt ready to do so. Paint was about to leave the six friends on their own but Applejack invited him over to sit with them, an invitation he was more than glad to accept.

The rest of the party was spent in conversation. Paint told them some more about himself and, to Rainbow's surprise; he did not mention to them what he told her earlier about the difficult relationship with his parents. If he didn't tell them, then he probably didn't want them to know just yet if at all. Why did he tell her; she had no idea. But considering that he had told her then he was probably counting on her to not tell anypony else, and she had no intention of doing so. The talking between the seven ponies went on and on, and soon ponies were starting to leave because it was getting late. Eventually, Paint and the Mane 6 were left in the library alone; along with Spike who was already sound asleep with his head under Twilight's pillow.

Rainbow Dash was looking at Rarity ever once in a moment or two. While the unicorn did not mention the letter, Rainbow could tell just by looking at her that it was troubling her. Another proof to Rarity's state of confusion was when she got up all of a sudden and said that she had to leave. "Oh my, it's getting late. I should get going. I have to open up early tomorrow you know." Before either Paint or her friends got a chance to say anything she went downstairs and then left the library. Rainbow now knew for sure that Rarity was having a difficult time thinking on what she should do about the job offer she received earlier.

She again wanted Rarity to decline the offer so that she could stay with him, and again she couldn't get herself to go to Rarity and tell her. She wouldn't be able to tell her friend to turn down the opportunity she's been waiting for her entire life. But if she did accept it, they will get to see her maybe once in a few months if at all. Then it hit Rainbow Dash that this might cause them to lose Rarity as a friend forever. The moment this thought popped into her head, she could hear a snap, more like the sound of cracking stone. Unknown to her, the rest of the Mane 6 including Rarity were also able to hear this crack, causing them all to stop their talking and simply do nothing for a few moments. They all looked confused, but then they carried on talking, aside from Rainbow Dash who said nothing. Rarity who was on the way back also felt confused, but she soon carried on walking back towards the Carousel Boutique. The Mane 6 were not the only ones who heard it though. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna who were in the Canterlot castle suddenly stopped their conversation and simply stared at each other in confusion. As for the rest of the ponies in Equestria including Paint, they did not hear the sound of snapping stone, that is unless they were in the Canterlot Sculpture Garden next to Discord's statue.

A/N: Discord's such a troll when you think about it.

To Stuttershy; thanks for the comment =]. I haven't really watched anything related to MLP aside from FiM, but I guess I can pay more attention to the use of 'darling' when I write chapter 13 and the others.

EDIT:

Chapter 6 - Flying Lessons

Paint woke up with a yawn the morning after the party. Even though he didn't have a clock next to his mattress or windows in the small room he was in, he was still able to tell that it was early morning. Considering he had been working in stores in every single town he stayed at until now, he was used to getting up at such a time. Now that he was thinking about it, it would look rather stupid if his small room did have windows on its walls considering the fact that the room was located in the basement and therefore under the ground. He thought about getting up and going upstairs, but remembered Applejack saying that she'll come to make sure he was awake once it was time to get to work. Instead, the stallion Pegasus stayed on his mattress and reached out towards his saddlebag before opening it. There were his blank papers along with his drawing instruments as well as some finished drawings. He took the drawings out and got up so to put most of them inside one of his drawers while leaving three of them inside the saddlebag. One of the drawings was of his parents.

Sitting down in front of his small table, he took out a blank piece of paper and his drawing tools and began to draw. Just like Rainbow Dash could spend endless amount of hours flying, time literally flew for Paint the moment his quill touched paper. At first he had no idea what he should draw, since there were so many things on his mind that he wanted to put on paper, like the view of Canterlot, or the city of Cloudsdale and even Sweet Apple Acres. Instead of having to pick one, Paint thought back on the moment he had first laid eyes upon Ponyville. Back then, he had a glimpse of Ponyville itself, Sweet Apple Acres next to it, Cloudsdale and Canterlot all together. Smiling, he picked up the quill in his mouth and began. The schematic took him about a few minutes to complete, and he was soon filling the paper with colors. Since it was his special talent, he did not only draw good paintings but he also drew them very quickly. About another five minutes later, the painting was completed. Paint smiled and placed gently his paintbrush on the table after making sure to dry it so to not get the table dirty. As for his finished piece of work, he didn't touch it, since the dye would take some time to dry completely and he didn't want to spoil the drawing anyhow, even if he could simply redraw it any given time.

As if with special timing considering the fact that he had just finished, Paint turned around as he heard somepony knock at the door. "Come in." he said, smiling as the door opened and revealed Applejack.

"Ah see ye're up already." She said, feeling glad to see that unlike with Applebloom, there would be no problem waking Paint up in the morning.

"Yeah, I'm used to getting up early." He replied with a chuckle.

"Good, ye're gonna need it." She walked into the room, "Looks like somepony's already feeling at home."

Paint was silent for a few moments, "That's a good thing right?"

"Ah think so." She then noticed his new drawing on the table. "Did ye draw this"?

"Uh, yeah, just now…" he said, feeling his cheek turn slightly red. He never liked to brag.

"Ah'm no expert, but this here's a good drawing." She said, reaching over to pick it up only to have Paint stop her.

"Sorry, it's just not dry yet… Thanks… For the comment I mean…" he said, rather sheepishly. Instead of picking the painting up, Applejack brought her own head closer in order to get a better look.

"It's really good. Ah knew ye were an artist but Ah never saw paintings that looked so detailed."

"I try my best…" he said, his cheeks again turning red.

"Well, com'on, breakfast's ready upstairs." With that, the two walked up and headed up stairs. Unlike yesterday when Applebloom was out with her friends, this time she was home, since Applejack would obviously not let her sleep over at a friend's house during a school night. And, like Applejack expected, her little sister was more than eager to meet Paint. In fact she would have done so the moment she woke up if Applejack hadn't been there to stop her from being rude and risking waking the Pegasus up in case he was still asleep. Even if he did turn out to be awake already, it would have still been rude to have her little sister burst into the room.

There was a limit to just how long Applejack could keep Paint from coming across Applebloom though and he first met her during breakfast. Her little sister was of course very talkative towards the Pegasus. She asked him things like where he came from, how long he's been travelling and how he got his cutie mark of course. In fact that question about the cutie mark was brought up by any of the Cutie Mark Crusaders in front of anypony, unless they've asked the pony in question before. In fact for a moment Applebloom even considered trying to get a cutie mark in drawing, but Applejack remembered the last time Applebloom and her friend tried to draw something and immediately objected. At least, to her relief, Paint didn't seem to be bothered by her little sister's extremely friendly nature.

Paint never found it necessary to say, but he loved foals. They were always happy, playful and eager to learn and they carried a certain type of happiness and innocence which he had lost a long time ago. He would of course from time to time wish that things would have turned out different between him and his parents, but he never dwelled on the matter for too long as to the point of actually going into a depression, except for the first few days after first leaving his town of birth behind. Normally it would be Applejack who walked her little sister to school, but Applebloom begged Paint to take her. At first Applejack protested, but Paint said that he wouldn't mind at all.

As a result of that, Paint ended up meeting the rest of the Cutie Mark Crusaders. They were just as energetic as Applebloom if not an even bigger annoyance as somepony else might call them, but Paint didn't have a problem with that either. In fact, it made him always look back at the time where he had this amount of enthusiasm. That period of his life was already long behind him, and just because he never got to spend his childhood like most foals do that didn't mean he couldn't enjoy the parts of life he hasn't got to yet. He thought about it for a moment, and wondered whether his parents ever really cared when they found that small note in perfect writing which he had left for them on the kitchen table before leaving for good. There will always be a part of him which will always love his parents and miss them, but one could say that Paint wasn't too excited about going back home.

He dropped the three fillies at school and then immediately flew back towards the farm; he didn't want to be late for work. As he had anticipated, when he entered the kitchen again Applejack and Bit Macintosh were gone. Only Granny Smith was there. He figured that the two siblings were probably out in the orchard, so after saying 'good morning' to the green old mare for probably the 10th time he went ahead and headed outside, finding himself unable to catch a glimpse of either Applejack or her older brother. Sighing, he took off with the intention of looking for them from the air just like when he had first arrived yesterday. After maybe a few seconds of searching, he heard Applejack calling for him. "Over here!"

It was easy to locate the orange earth pony by following her voice." There ye are." She said as he landed in front of her. "Applebloom wasn't a problem was she?"

Paint shook his head with a chuckle, "Not at all. I love kids. I used to babysit for a living in one of the towns I stayed at."

Applejack raised an eyebrow in amusement, "Oh did'ja now?" she asked, remembering that one time where Pinkie volunteered to keep an eye on Mr. and Mrs. Cake's newborn foals.

Paint nodded before asking, "So… What do you need me to do?"

"Well, to be honest with ye Big Macintosh and I are doing just fine most of them time." She said as she used her hind legs to kicked one of the trees behind her, thus causing the apples to fall off the tree and into the containers on the ground. "But sometimes some of them apples jus' don't feel like comin' down." She looked up and saw that there were a few apples on the treetop. "We end up wastin' a lot of time for just a few apples, but with yer help we can get th'apples easily and more quickly."

To be honest, Paint thought he'd be getting some task which might sound a little more serious or challenging. But, he wasn't going to complain, especially after he was offered a place to stay. "Alright," he said, flying over and picking the apples with his hooves before dropping them into where the rest of the apples were. "I can handle that."

"Well Ah should hope so; we have to harvest th'entire orchard by th'afternoon."

Paint suddenly thought about the first time he saw Sweet Apple Acres. The farm was huge. "Are you sure that's possible?" he asked, looking down at Applejack who was already dealing with another tree.

"Yep, we do this every year. Now com'on, let's get a move on."

And so, the long day at the farm began. Paint was very surprised at how fast the two siblings worked. His job was far simpler compared to the two earth ponies who had to kick every single tree hard and carry the apple-filled containers on their backs before placing them on the cart, but even with that on the two's to-do-list he almost had a hard time keeping up with them, because the two worked very quickly. Before he even knew it, the day was already half over and the trees were 'clean of apples'. "Wow." said Paint, heading towards Applejack and Big Macintosh who were pulling the last carriage of apples. "You two work very fast." He said, causing the two siblings to smile proudly. "Do you need help pulling that to the barn?"

"That would be nice." said Applejack.

After that was out of the way, Paint heard somepony else enter the barn, and turn around when he heard a familiar voice. "Oh good, you're just done here." It was Rainbow Dash.

It wasn't that Paint wasn't happy to see her; in fact he could feel the heat slowly climbing to his cheeks as a result of her presence, but he couldn't find a reason for her to be there all of a sudden. Suddenly, he remembered their talk yesterday at the party. "Oh, hey Rainbow," He said, managing to keep the blush off his cheeks. "Yes, I think we're done." He was already looking forward to their 'flying lesson'. He looked at Applejack, wanting to be certain that they really were done for the day and that his help wasn't going to be needed anymore for today.

"Yes, we're done." She said, causing Paint to smile. "Startin' tomorrow we'll begin sellin'."

Paint nodded, looking at Rainbow Dash and silently telling her that he was ready to go. After saying goodbye to Applejack, the two Pegasi took off into the air. Paint at first was silently flying next to Rainbow Dash but soon found himself falling behind. "Hey, wait up!"

She stopped and looked around at him, letting out a sigh, "Yeah, you need work…" she landed on a cloud and Paint did the same, "Alright, so you're a clumsy flyer are you?"

"Um… I wouldn't say clumsy…" he said, feeling embarrassed. "Just… not the type of flyer you are I guess."

"Well then," continued Rainbow, like a commander would speak to new military recruits, "When I'm done with you, you're gonna be flying 5 times faster."

"Uh… I know how to fly…" he said, feeling like a little foal next to her all of a sudden. "I'm just not into the fast type of flying…"

"That's because you rejected something even before you even tried it." She said, "Flying isn't just about getting from one place to another." Paint was about to protest, but was again cut off by Rainbow Dash. "Have you ever tried flying very fast, like to your fastest capability?" he shook his head. "But you're a Pegasus!" she looked up and towards the sky. "Alright, now I want you to do just that." Before Paint could do anything, she continued. "Flying is not only for transport. Try for once to fly just because you can fly. Try feeling the wind against you as you speed through the sky. It's the freedom us other ponies will never experience."

Paint listened to what carefully and nodded. When thinking about it, he realized that what Rainbow Dash was saying made a lot of sense, and he decided to listen to her and give it a try. Seeing him nod, Rainbow Dash went ahead and shot into the air again, this time not flying as rapidly as she had before. Paint soon followed her, focusing on what she said and flapping his wing as fast as he could. Soon enough he understood what was Rainbow Dash talking about just a moment ago. The feeling as if there was nothing in the world that could hold him back, the feeling of being so high above everything else in the world, the wind running through his mane as he passed by the clouds… He loved it. There was one more thing that caught his attention aside from the thrill passing through his body; Rainbow Dash as she flew in front of him. The rainbow-colored trail she left behind her was an emphasis of her beauty.

As they flew, Rainbow glanced around at her 'student', smiling upon seeing the smile on his face. She had no idea of course that she was one of the reasons he was smiling like that. Deciding that the blue stallion was ready, she looked ahead of herself again and began to fly a bit faster, planning on speeding up just a bit every once in a few moments. Since he was staring, it took Paint a few moments to realize that Rainbow was gaining distance on him again. He never thought he will be able to fly faster than he was at the moment, but that urge to stay as close as possible to her got him to actually fly faster as well and keep up. Despite Rainbow Dash being a rather useful source of will to fly faster, there was a limit for just how long Paint was able to keep up with her and for just how fast he could fly. Noticing that he was getting tired by glancing around at him again, Rainbow Dash began to slow down and landed on the nearest cloud she could find. She didn't want him to end up falling all the way down as a result of fatigue.

To Paint's surprise when he landed in front of the mare, Rainbow Dash didn't seem to carry even the slightest hint of exhaustion. "So?" she asked, looking at him with a grin, "Was I right, or was I right?"

"You were right." He said with a smile, feeling too tired to even get the butterflies in his stomach when he spoke to her this time. "That was incredible."

"Of course it was." Said Rainbow Dash, satisfied with her doings. "But let me be straight with you, I've seen stallions half your age who can fly faster." This caused Paint to blink a few times, feeling rather embarrassed. "But with me there to train you, I bet you can get good at this. Not good as me of course."

Paint's expression lit up slightly at that, since this meant that he would get to spend time with Rainbow Dash more often. What could be better than this? He sighed and accidentally blurted, "Beautiful…" realizing what he just did upon seeing the confused expression on Rainbow's face, he quickly spoke again, "I meant, uh, a beautifully generous offer. That's what I was about to say."

"O…kay…"

Her reply caused Paint to nearly let out a huge sigh of relief. That was way too close. "Alright, now it's my turn." He said, rising to his feet again.

"Come again?" asked Rainbow, confused.

"Well, you think that I don't do anything good with my wings."

"Think? I know." Said Rainbow Dash, sounding certain about what she was saying.

"Do you sometime just feel frustrated or simply uneasy with yourself or with anything else?"

Rainbow thought about it for a moment. "Well, I guess sometimes even I mess some trick up or something."

"Alright, come on." He said as he slowly flew into the air. Rainbow Dash at first looked at the stallion with a raised eyebrow, but after a few moments she shrugged and followed. Paint flew into a certain height and then simply floated in the air as did Rainbow Dash next to him. "Sometimes I simply fly around calmly to get my head clear."

"I don't get it."

Paint couldn't help but chuckle. "It's simple." With that he began to fly forward slowly, not really heading anywhere or trying to do anything specific. "It's rather relaxing to simply float around without a worry in the world. It's like what you said about the wind running through your mane only with a different effect." He looked to his side and saw that Rainbow was staring at him as if he was a complete weirdo, causing him to chuckle again. "Just try to relax and take a look around." He noticed that the sun was already setting in the west. After a few moments of looking at the sunset he looked at Rainbow again. She was even more beautiful under the setting sun's red light.

She stared at the sunset a bit longer than he did and then looked at him with a smile. "You're right, it is relaxing." While looking in his direction she noticed the magnificent below them. The sight of Ponyville, Sweet Apple Acres, Canterlot and Cloudsdale altogether made the entire area look like a paradise. "I never had the slightest idea that my living region looked so beautiful."

"It looks like we were both able to learn something new from the other then." said Paint, floating next to Rainbow Dash as they both stared at the land below them.

"You know," she said, looking at him again, "for a clumsy flier, you're actually alright." She smiled somewhat heartedly, giving him a friendly punch to the shoulder.

Paint looked at her with a sheepish smile, rubbing his shoulder with one of his hooves. If he was dreaming, then this would be the moment where they'll begin to slowly fly closer to each other, stare into each other eyes, and then slowly lean in and kiss. He knew that he wasn't dreaming though so he stayed where he was. Rainbow smiled at him for another moment or two before turning her attention back to the scenery. They remained silent for what seemed to be a long while, simply staring at the view below them. Paint wouldn't mind staying there for a few more hours, since being next to Rainbow Dash not to mention sharing such a view with her was clearly a pleasure for the stallion. After a while, despite not wanting to, Paint broke the silence by saying. "It's starting to get late. We should probably get going; I'll need to wake up early tomorrow…"

Rainbow Dash looked at him with a smile. "You're right." She waved a short goodbye and turned to fly away.

"Um…" Rainbow stopped upon hearing his voice again and turned to face him. "I'll see you again tomorrow?"

"Sure." Her reply caused Paint to hold back a sheepish grin. After that, they separated and Paint went back to the farm. After dinner, he went straight to his room so that nopony might get a chance to notice that he was a little too happy about the time he got to spend with Rainbow this afternoon.

---

Meanwhile, all the way over in Canterlot, Fancy Pants dropped whatever he was doing when a scroll appeared. He opened it with his magic and recognized the writing to be Rarity's. She was agreeing to take the job offered to her yesterday.

EDIT:

Chapter 7 - A Couple's Apprehension Brings Consequences

Paint took in a deep breath before opening his eyes and looking around. A small smile crept onto the blue stallion's face as he studied his surroundings. It looked like he was in a small paradise. He was sitting on a soft patch of grass. To his right he saw what appeared to be like the beginning of a forest, there were trees and flowers of all kinds, from palm trees to roses. The blue Pegasus then realized that he was actually in the middle of a forest clearing. After maybe a second, the sound of running water reached his ears. Looking then to his left; he saw a small waterhole and a waterfall falling right into it. The sound of the water falling, the calm twittering of the birds and the rustling of the leaves as the result of the weak wind… It was probably the most relaxing place a pony could wish to be, for this was just the way Paint has always imagined heaven to look like. In fact he remembered drawing paintings of this place before. If he was dead, it most surely didn't seem like a bad thing. This situation didn't seem like it could get any better.

That thought soon disappeared because he was able to hear the sound of somepony else's soft hoofsteps on the grass behind him. A moment later, he heard that sweet and familiar voice gently call his name. Another moment later, he felt a hoof rest on his shoulders. He looked at the shoulder in question and noticed that the hoof touching him was colored light blue like the sky in a sunny and cloudless day. An even bigger smile crossed his face as he fully turned around, noticing Rainbow Dash standing in front of him. They locked eyes and she asked him where he has been, telling him that she was waiting just for him. She then put her other hoof on Paint's other shoulder and sat down in front of him. They kept staring into each other's and then began to slowly lean in towards each other. As their muzzles neared, Paint brought his hoof over to Rainbow's cheek and used it to gently brush her mane over her ear. Their mouths kept coming closer and suddenly, just as they both closed their eyes and were about to kiss, Paint could hear what sounded like a hoof knocking on a door as well as another familiar voice calling his name.

When he opened his eyes again, he found out to his disappointment that he was in his room in the basement. He let out a long sigh, realizing that it was all a dream. Paint soon found out that his muzzle was actually pressed against own pillow as a result of that dream, which caused him to frown and throw the pillow aside. Again, there was the sound of knocking at his door. "Paint, up and at 'em." The blue stallion recognized the voice as Applejack's.

Sighing yet again in disappointment of his dream ending just at that particular moment, Paint stood up and stretched his legs and wings. "I'm up, I'm up." He went over to the thrown pillow and placed it back in its place.

Applejack then opened the door and walked inside, looking over at Paint who was tidying his mattress. "Breakfast's ready up stairs." She said, getting a smile from Paint in return.

"Alright, I'll be right there in a moment." Applejack then turned to leave the room. "Oh, and sorry I didn't wake up in time today. I guess it happens to everypony." Applejack gave him a short smile, silently told him that it was alright before leaving the room.

After he was done making up his bed and after letting out another longing sigh, Paint headed up stairs. The breakfast was spent in silence that time, since Applebloom had already had her chance to get to talk to Paint yesterday. After the meal was over, Paint headed outside with Applejack, Big Macintosh and Applebloom. Outside was a cart filled with apples, apple pies, and all other sorts of foods that contained apples. As for taking Applebloom to school, they were going to take the cart to Ponyville anyway, so they could drop her there on the way. After dropping the little filly at school, the two Apple siblings and Paint went to set up their stall. "Now, Ah've been thinkin' Paint," said Applejack after they finished preparing everything. "We usually need to close up the stall when we run out of things te sell, but you could take this saddlebag here," she threw him a saddlebag, "and go get some more apples or pies or whatever when we need 'em. With them wings o' yers ye'll do it much faster than either me or Macintosh." That way they'll be able to sell their products much faster.

"Alright, I can do that." Said Paint with a nod, knowing that with him there to help with they'll be able to save a lot of time and make more sales by the end of the day. It was a good thing that Rainbow introduced him to fast flying yesterday now that he was thinking about it.

And so, the day began. Paint was surprised at how often he had to fly over to the house in order to get more things to sell, not only because of the quite small size of his saddlebag, but also because of how high the demands were back at the stall. He figured ahead of time that the Apple Family sold a lot of their products, but he never anticipated they would sell that much in such a short amount of time. Paint hardly had any time to rest between the flights back and forth, except for one time when he found that there weren't too many ponies around once he came back, which meant that he would have time to sit down for a change. Just as he did, he noticed Rarity on the other side of the street, and she was heading their way. When she was nearly at their stall, Paint caught onto the expression on her face, and was able to tell that something was wrong. He was also able to tell that she was there to speak to Applejack, since the first thing that the purple-maned unicorn did was walk over to her.

"Applejack, I need to talk to you." Even Applejack seemed confused. No 'darling'? No comments about hair or make up?

"Um… We're a little busy here as ye can probably tell…" responded Applejack.

"Please AJ," this was the first time during their entire friendship in which Applejack heard Rarity call her 'AJ'. "I need to speak to you and the rest of the girls…"

"Is somethin' wrong sugar cube?" asked Applejack, looking at her friend worriedly.

"Can you come with me to the library?" Applejack looked at Big Macintosh and at Paint in confusion. Her big brother gave her a silent nod, letting her know that he and Paint will keep an eye on everything until she came back. Still confused, the orange earth pony went ahead and followed her friend towards Twilight's library, leaving Big Macintosh and Paint to handle the stall. Beside of the products being sold at a slower rate since Applejack was not there to help thus giving Paint more time to rest after flying back to the house and then back to the stall, nothing else was different. Time passed on and there was no sign of either Applejack or any of her friends. Just when Big Macintosh was starting to get worried, he was able to see Applejack coming back from the direction of the tree library. Rarity was not with her, and as Applejack came closer Big Macintosh's relieved expression was again replaced by a one of worry as he saw the look on his sister's face.

"We're gonna have te close up early today." said Applejack upon arriving next to Big Macintosh and Paint. The two stallions looked at each other in confusion as Applejack let out a heavy sigh before speaking once more. "Rarity's leavin' Ponyville."

Later in the afternoon

They waited and waited and waited. The long wait was killing each and every one of Rarity's friend. They all stared at the train tracks, as if in fear of the train that will eventually come and take their friend away from them for Celestia knew how long. With the mane 6 were also Spike, Paint, Big Macintosh, The Cutie Mark Crusaders as well as Rarity's and Sweetie Belle's already packed luggage."I can't believe that this is really happening Rarity…" began Pinkie Pie, who for the first time in a long while sounded sad. "You didn't even give me a chance to throw you a farewell party and everything…" she just couldn't believe that Rarity was going away, not to mention at such short notice. You might be remembering that Rarity was actually given an entire week to consider that job offer, but she figured that the longer she stayed, the harder the time she'll have once it became the time to leave. All of her friends had a hard time accepting this so suddenly.

"I'm sorry Pinkie," replied the purple-maned unicorn, "I already told you that the longer I stayed the harder it will be for me to leave… I've just been waiting so long for an opportunity like this…" Rainbow Dash could still remember that it was only two days ago when she saw Rarity get the letter. She feared that this would end up being Rarity's decision, but she never expected Rarity to make that decision so quickly.

"Don' mention it sugar cube." said Applejack, putting a leg around Rarity's shoulder. "We're all mighty happy for ye, don't ye go thinkin' otherwise. We're just a little surprised to hear this at such a short notice."

"I know Applejack, and I'm sincerely sorry to drop this on all of you all of a sudden… I'm just afraid that the longer I wait the bigger the chance that I'll let this opportunity pass untaken…" she was genuinely meaning every single word she was saying. If this was anyhow simpler, she would happily stay longer.

Paint was simply watching everything from aside with Big Macintosh. It was a little hard to grasp the fact that he had only met Rarity two days ago and she was leaving already. Of course, he was not as bothered by it as were Rarity's friends and The Cutie Mark Crusaders. Looking aside, he saw the three fillies sitting a few feet away from the mane 6, looking even more troubled. Despite having met them only yesterday, it was quite easy to figure out the reason. Sweetie Belle would have to go with Rarity, she couldn't stay in the Carousel Boutique on her own. While Paint could tell that she was happy for her sister, he could also tell that this whole thing was complicated for her as well. It looked like she really didn't want to go, and that she was barely holding her tears.

"Sweetie Belle," Rarity's tone was a one of worry as she walked over to her little sister, placing a hoof on her shoulder as an attempt to reassure her. "Is everything alright?"

"No Rarity, everything is not alright." Admitted Sweetie Belle, unable to pretend that everything was 'all good' any longer, "It's hard for me to suddenly get up and leave the village I've lived in my entire life."

"I'm sorry Sweetie, but that's just the way things are…" said Rarity, hoping that Sweetie Belle won't make this thing any harder for the two of them.

"It's not fair… What about my friends? What about school?"

"We'll sign you up for a school in Canterlot, and there are plenty of foals there too…" said Rarity, hoping that it will somehow calm her sister down.

"I don't want to move to a new school and I don't want to make different friends!" complained the little filly, "I want to stay in Cherilee's school with my actual friends!"

"You know I can't leave you in Ponyville on your own…" she heard her sister let out a shaky sigh, "I'm sorry Sweetie Belle."

"I don't have to be on my own!" argued her little sister, "What if I stayed with somepony else?"

"Sweetie I cannot possibly ask such a thing from anypony… You have to understand that ponies are busy… Suddenly having a foal or an extra foal in your house isn't always possible…"

"Um… Rarity," Fluttershy's usual soft and gentle tone came from behind the two, causing the purple maned unicorn and her sister to look in her direction. "Oh, I'm sorry, I don't mean to interrupt, but, uh… If you wouldn't mind, there's plenty of room in my house, and I have a lot of time on my hands…" since what she mostly did was take care of the animals around her house, she was there most of the time and would be able to keep an eye on Sweetie Belle as well.

Rarity cleared her throat at that, noticing her little sister's expression light up. "Fluttershy darling, I simply can't leave you to look after my little sister…" there was no doubt that Fluttershy was the right pony to wield the Element of Kindness, for this was probably the most kind offer she has ever received in her life.

"Oh Rarity, I can handle your cutie baby sister." Said Fluttershy, remembering the time she had the Cutie Mark Crusaders sleep over at her house. "I have plenty of room in my house." Rarity again seemed uncomfortable with this.

"Please Rarity!" begged Sweetie Belle, wrapping her tiny little legs around one of her big sister's leg. "I promise I'll behave!"

"Rarity, I can keep her safe…" said Fluttershy softly, "She'll be much happier here…"

After what seemed like an endless silence to Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo and Applebloom, Rarity let out a sigh and said with half a smile. "Okay Sweetie Belle." At this, the three fillies broke into excited yelling. Despite how loud their shrieking was, the Mane 6, Paint, Big Macintosh and Spike couldn't help but smile.

"Oh thank you thank you thank you thank you!" shouted Sweetie Belle, hugging her sister's leg again and then moving on to Fluttershy's leg. She looked up at the shy mare with probably the most grateful expression. "Thank you so much!"

"Oh, it's nothing honey…" said Fluttershy softly.

"Sweetie Belle," Rarity said, "I want you to behave and write to me every day, understood?"

"Yes big sis, I promise!" exclaimed the tiny unicorn with delight.

Rarity then turned to Spike, who was looking at her with teary eyes. "I'm counting on you to make sure that I get her letters daily okay Spikey-Wikey?" she asked, giving the little baby dragon a hug and causing his cheeks to turn noticeably red.

Spike was about to say something when suddenly the sound of a train's horn filled the air. Everypony (and dragon) looked towards the train tracks to see that the train Rarity was supposed to take had just arrived. "Well, I guess this is it…" said Rarity with a sad smile, looking at her friends. She hugged each and every one of them as well as Paint, Big Macintosh, Applebloom and Scootaloo. Other than 'I'll miss you' or 'I hope I'll see you soon', she didn't know what else to say to them.

"You're going to write to me too right big sis?" asked Sweetie Belle with a smile.

"I will." said Rarity with a sigh, "Oh, and thanks again Fluttershy." She gave the yellow Pegasus another hug. After that, she took her briefcases and placed them on the train, aside from the one which contained Sweetie Belle's belongings. Nopony said anything else after that. Rarity entered her cabin and looked at her friends through the window, waving them a goodbye with her hoof. They waved goodbye as well, and then the train left.

Nopony said nothing for what seemed to be a long while. The first one to break the silence was Rainbow Dash. "Uh… I'll see you guys tomorrow…" with a sigh she spread her wings and flew away. Paint wanted to follow her, but decided not to, since it seemed like she wanted to be alone for the time being.

The others also decided that it was time to go home, since it was already late afternoon and the sun will soon be gone. Applejack was about to tell her sister that it was time to go, but Applebloom complained. "Can Ah come back later Applejack? Scootaloo and Ah wanna help Sweetie Belle get organized and everythin'…"

Applejack was about to protest, but Big Macintosh spoke up and said, "I'll go with her and make sure she comes back on time." That wasn't the only reason he will go with Applebloom though. He also wanted to make sure that Fluttershy was feeling alright, because she obviously was upset about this whole thing as well.

"Okay Applebloom, you can go." She trusted Big Macintosh to bring Applebloom back home before it became a too late of an hour.

And so everypony headed back home. Paint went back to Sweet Apple Acres with Applejack, Pinkie Pie headed back to Sugar Cube Corner and Twilight and Spike back to the library. Big Macintosh, Sweetie Belle, Applebloom, Fluttershy and Scootaloo made their way towards Fluttershy's cottage. The three fillies were obviously excited that Sweetie Belle was staying. Of course, Sweetie Belle knew that things will be a lot different without Rarity around, but she was pretty sure that she'll be happier in Ponyville rather than Canterlot, and she hoped that Rarity understood.

The five arrived at Fluttershy's cottage and the yellow Pegasus opened the door with a sigh. The three fillies immediately rushed inside, again yelling with excitement. "Sweetie Belle," said Fluttershy as she walked in alongside Big Macintosh who was carrying the briefcase which contained Sweetie Belle's belongings. "I want to show you the room you'll be staying in from now on okay? Then we'll just call it a night, it's been a long day for all of us." Fluttershy may have hidden it well until now, but she was obviously as confused and upset about the fact that Rarity will not be around anymore just the rest of her friends. The only reason Sweetie Belle was not as upset was because she knew that staying in Ponyville would be better for her compared to going to Canterlot, so she was able to somewhat ignore the negative thoughts about not having her big sister around from now. "Scootaloo and Applebloom can come here and play with you tomorrow, but just not today alright?" the three fillies looked disappointed, but they saw the expression on Fluttershy's face and noticed her tone so they didn't protest.

"Can they help me get my things organized?" asked Sweetie Belle, wanting to at least have her friends see her new room the same time they did.

"Okay Sweetie Belle, they can stay for a while." Fluttershy then lead Sweetie Belle and her friends to another room, which looked like a guest room but was smaller than the actual living room. There was a bed-like couch and a carpet as well as some pictures on the walls, mostly of Fluttershy's friends and animals. "There's not much in this room yet, so don't unpack anything now, we'll see about it tomorrow…" she looked at Big Macintosh and he nodded, placing Sweetie Belle's briefcase in the corner of the room, "You girls can stay here and talk for a while, I'll… I'll go get you some sheets, a pillow and a blanket."

The three fillies nodded and Fluttershy left the room. Big Macintosh stayed there for a while as the three Fillies 'explored' the room, looking mostly at the pictures on the wall rather than on anything else. A minute or two passed and Big Macintosh noticed that Fluttershy wasn't coming back. He walked back into the living room, where he found her sitting on the floor with her head resting on the couch and her eyes closed. The lack of sheets and pillows showed that she never went upstairs to get them. Sighing softly, Big Macintosh went ahead and sat down next to her. Being a stallion of a few words was sometimes a good thing, because right now he had no idea what to say in order to at least try to cheer her up.

As he sat down next to her, Fluttershy opened her eyes and let out a sigh, looking at her coltfriend as she did. "This just came out of nowhere…" she admitted, fully leaning herself against him. Things were going to be completely different in their lives from now on. All Big Macintosh did was protectively embrace her. He himself never really spent much time with Rarity, but with going away was going to affect Applejack and her friends, and him also as a result of that. Fluttershy seemed to calm down a little after a few moments of silence. Even though Big Macintosh didn't talk much, he always appeared to be so calm and understanding and it almost always helped calm her down as well. "I'm really glad that you're here with me…" she said after another long silence, pulling away from him a little and looking into his eyes. He smiled at her brightly and she managed to smile back. They slowly leaned closer towards each other, closed their eyes and kissed, feeling more than happy that they were going to have each other during such a hard time.

Just as their lips came in contact, the cottage's door opened. "What in tarnation?!" the two's eyes shot wide opened and they looked aside, seeing Applejack standing at the door. What was she doing there all of a sudden, Big Macintosh had no idea.

"Oh my!" exclaimed Fluttershy, moving away from Big Macintosh. "Applejack! I…" this was definitely not the way in which either Big Macintosh or Fluttershy wanted Applejack to find out about this. They were already starting to consider telling everypony, but now there was no need to think about that any longer.

"Do ya'll mind explaining to me what's going on here?" asked Applejack, an angry frown on her face.

"If you'll just give me a moment to explain…" tried Fluttershy, her voice becoming weaker and shaky.

"How long have you two been smoochin' behind my back?!" being the Element of Honesty had this one downside; Applejack couldn't stand it when somepony lied to her or hid from her something which she had the right to know, even if it wasn't something to make a big deal out of.

"I, we…" Fluttershy's voice was becoming slightly quieter with every word. Applejack's angry approach wasn't giving her an easier time at all. "A-about t-t-two weeks, w-we didn't know h-how to tell you and-"

"Two weeks! Mah brother and one of my closest friends have been together for two weeks and kept it a secret from me!"

"I w-wanted to t-tell you-"

"Ah just can't believe it!" Applejack's anger then broke out of control. She came closer to Fluttershy, raising her voice even more. "How could you two just go and do this behind mah back like that?!"

"Applejack," came Big Macintosh's voice from next to her, she didn't seem to even hear him.

"What sort of a friend does somethin' like that huh?!"

"Applejack-"

"Are there any other things ye should tell me about?!" she seemed as if she was about to lose it. "Hell, Ah found mahself a friend alright! Well ye know what, some friend you are!"

"Applejack-"

"I think Discord himself was better at tellin' the truth! Ye're making me sick!"

"Applejack!"

"What?!" shouted Applejack, finally looking at her brother. Fluttershy by this point completely lost control of her emotions and ran up the stairs crying. Applebloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle were looking at the entire thing through the door, having had their attention caught by Applejack's shouting. Applejack didn't seem to even care about just making Fluttershy cry. She was too angry in order to think about anything else at the moment. Before she could even start saying the same sorts of things to Big Macintosh he spoke. He seemed much angrier than she was, and for good reason too.

"Leave."

And then there was another sound of cracking stone.

EDIT:

Chapter 8 - At Canterlot

The train ride lasted for whatever amount of time it lasted, for Rarity didn't bother to even try to keep track of time. There were simply too many things on her mind that kept her from paying attention to something such as how long it was going to take until the train would arrive at the Canterlot train station. For a moment back there on the train she felt as if everything would be far simpler if she never got the job offer in the first place; she would still have her friends and she wouldn't be experiencing pangs of guilt as the result of leaving so suddenly. But on the other hoof, this was the best thing that could happen to her career, it was the opportunity she waited for her entire life. Also, she would always be able to quit as far as she was concerned, and if she did she'll then be able to go back to Ponyville and carry on running the Carousel Boutique. Now that she was thinking about it, owning that small little shop wasn't so bad, in fact her life seemed perfect as it was, even if her talent wasn't as famous as she has always wanted it to be.

There was also the subject of her little sister to whom Rarity allowed to stay in Ponyville. Rarity couldn't help but feel slightly upset at leaving her little sister behind the way she did, even if it was Sweetie Belle who came up with the idea of staying in somepony else's house. Sure, her sister was annoying most of the time and she always interrupted Rarity while her big sister was working, but Sweetie Belle was never left alone in the village without either Rarity or their mother or their father before. The only thing that was keeping Rarity calm about leaving Sweetie Belle in Ponyville was the fact that Fluttershy was the one who was going to care of the little filly. If there was anypony she could trust with everything, Fluttershy was that pony. Rarity was going to miss their weekly appointments at the spa as well. In fact, she was going to miss a lot of things she had in Ponyville and was not going to have in Canterlot, not only the girls' hangouts with Fluttershy. She was also going to miss the picnics she had with her friends, looking for gems with Spike, Pinkie Pie's parties… The list was endless, and it revolved around her friends. Unfortunately, they were not with her anymore.

Rarity fell asleep at some point or another, and woke up with a start when the train finally arrived at the Canterlot train station. It wasn't the train's sudden lack of movement or the sound of the train's horn that woke her up though. It was actually the crack of stone that woke her up. Despite being fast asleep, she was able to recognize the sound from the last time in which she had heard it during the welcome party Pinkie held for Paint. When she woke up she found herself sweating and breathing heavily, and she sighed when she realized that the sweat might ruin her coiffure. She remained seated for a few more moments, feeling confused. What was that sound of stone supposed to mean? In Ponyville it made some sort of sense, but on a train? There were no rocks on a train. And even if the noise did make sense, why did it bother her so much? It was nothing but a sound of cracking stone after all but despite that, hearing it gave her quite the creeps and made her feel upset. She did not like it at all, even if it did happen only twice, but there seemed like there was no way explaining it.

The purple-maned unicorn went ahead and left the train, using her magic to carry her luggage with her. It only now occurred to her that she didn't have a place to stay in for the night. She got up and left Ponyville so to not make the departure harder by delaying it, but she forgot to ask Fancy Pants about a place for her to stay while she was in Canterlot. Just as she realized her predicament, she heard somepony clearing his throat behind her. "Are you Rarity?" she turned around to see one of the palace's royal guards.

Rarity had not even the slightest idea as to why would the royal guard even there. "Yes, that is me." She wasn't in trouble was she?

"Princess Celestia has just received a message about your arrival and stay in Canterlot." continued the Pegasus in the fancy-looking armor, "She would like, if you will be generously kind to accept her offer, to invite to stay in the royal castle."

At this Rarity's expression lit up, "She did?" she asked, obviously surprised at the offer. "But… How did she know I was coming?"

"Her personal student Twilight Sparkle sent her a letter regarding your departure from Ponyville."

Rarity smiled slightly at that. She should have expected that from Twilight; always looking out for her friends. The thought again brought her a small feeling of discomfort about leaving Ponyville, but she pushed it aside again. "Why, it would be simply rude of me if I declined." She said, not wanting to be impolite by not accepting an offer like that, especially from Princess Celestia herself. She remembered the one time where she stayed in Canterlot for a few days, and Celestia offered her to stay in the castle back then as well. Now however, Rarity would be staying for more than just a few days, so it seemed like she had a lot of thanking to do once she saw the princess again.

The guard gave a simple nod as a reply to Rarity's acceptance of the princess' offer and began leading the way to the castle on foot since all of the castle's carriages were unavailable at the moment. Rarity wasn't going to complain though; she didn't have a right to after the offer the princess made, and walking wasn't so bad because it was chilly during evenings like this one. The closest way from the train station to the castle by foot went through the Canterlot Sculpture Garden at one point. Rarity couldn't remember ever being there before, but anypony who has been there sure was right by telling her that it was a marvelous sight indeed. She wasn't that into sculpturing, but one pony didn't need to be an art expert in order to take a liking in a sculpture. Still though, she wasn't that interested in sculptures, it seemed like something Paint would find more fascinating than she did.

Rarity only glanced at the sculptures as they passed by them, since she didn't want to keep Princess Celestia waiting by stopping next to every single statue in order to get a better look. The next statue she and the guard passed by was the one of Discord. Rarity did not stop next to that one either. He was still in the exact position in which he was when she and her friends defeated him. Rarity was pretty sure that there was a more terrified look on his face when that happened rather than an evil smile though, but she didn't pay it much thought. "Good riddance." She muttered quietly as she walked pass the sculpture and kept walking.

About a moment or two after that, she felt a chill run through her spine, almost as if somepony or something else was staring at her. She looked around. The statue looked just the same as it did ten seconds ago, yet Rarity could swear that the statue's eyes were fixed on her. She stood there and stared at the statue in confusion for a few more moments until she heard the guard suddenly call for her. "Miss Rarity, is everything okay?"

Realizing that she has been standing there for quite a long moment now, Rarity shook her head and then looked around at the guard. "Yes, excuse me, I'm coming." She then carried on following the guard, ignoring the odd feeling as if the stoned Discord was staring at her.

After another few minutes of silent walking, Rarity and the guard arrived at the entrance to the royal castle. The castle was as majestic and beautiful as always, especially now under the light of the setting sun. Walking inside, Rarity was soon re-introduced to the even greater beauty of the main room. There were the grand stairs at the far end of the room, and of course the glass-painting of Discord's first defeat by Princess Celestia and Princess Luna as well as the glass-painting of his second defeat by the Mane 6. Looking at that made Rarity think of her friends again, which caused her to let out a soft sigh. It was going to take her a long time to get used to not having them around, and it was not going to be easy at all.

On top of the staircase was Celestia's throne, but she wasn't there at the moment. Rarity could only remember seeing her sitting on it during the Grand Galloping Gala, and that too was only in order to greet the many ponies that came to the royal castle. But during evenings like this, aside from making way for Princess Luna to raise the moon, Rarity doubted Celestia had anything else important to attend to at the moment.

The purple-maned unicorn and the guard walked towards the staircase. Rarity looked around and listened in expectation of noticing Princess Celestia or anypony else. "Excuse me," she started, looking at the guard in front of her, "where is Princess Celestia right now?"

"I know not madam," replied the guard, "she told me she will be here when you arrived, but I don't-" as if with perfect timing Princess Celestia then showed up at the top of the stairs.

"Oh Rarity, you're here!" exclaimed Celestia with a hint of delight as she made her way down the stairs. She looked at the guard, "I'll take care of this from here." The guard nodded and left after giving the princess a slight bow.

"Princess Celestia! It is very kind of you to allow me to stay here…" began Rarity, looking up at the princess with the most grateful expression.

"It's nothing dear."

"Oh but it is!" continued the unicorn, sounding just like she did last time. "It's not like the time where you let me stay for a few days it's much more! I don't know what to say but thank you!"

"Rarity, you don't have to mention it," said Celestia with a hearty smile, "do you want me to call somepony to help you with your things?"

Rarity was about to say yes, but she remembered the last time that poor earth pony had to carry her luggage and decided to not make him go through the same thing again. "It's okay, I got it this time."

"Very well then, if you'd follow me, I'll take you to the where you stayed last time." Concluded the princess, and the two went ahead and made their way up the stairs.

After heading up the stairs, the princess led Rarity into a hallway which seemed to be of an even longer length than the room which they had just left. Rarity recognized this hallway from the last time she stayed in the castle, and she also recognized the first door to the left which led to the staircase that led to the room she stayed in last time. Rarity's attention was caught however by something else. At the end of the hallway sat a stallion who was sitting by a window and looking outside, an alicorn to be precise. His coat was red which was slightly deeper than the red on Big Macintosh's coat. His mane and tail were like the manes and tails of Celestia and Luna by appearance, and the color of them was a red slightly brighter than the stallion's coat. Of course that his mane and tail weren't as long as those of the princesses, since a too long mane or tail would make any stallion look girly. His cutie mark consisted of a few fire rings of different sizes which were organized in a form that didn't seem to have any meaning. "Oh, is this the lucky stallion?" asked Rarity, looking at Celestia with a smile.

"Yes, that's him." answered the princess with a smile.

"Where is Luna, now that the subject is up?" This was the first time in which Rarity was seeing a male alicorn. Actually, it was the first time she was seeing another alicorn aside from Princess Luna and Princess Celestia.

"Well she could be anywhere right now, but I bet she'll-"

Celestia was cut short when suddenly Luna's traditional royal Canterlot voice went booming through the hallway. "PRINCE BLUEBLOOD!" Luna was nowhere in sight, but if she wanted to she could make sure that her voice was heard through the entire castle. Even the red Alicorn's attention was caught by her talking despite how concentrated he appeared to be just a moment ago. "DOST THOU EVER DO ANYTHING BUT SIT AROUND ON THY FLANK ALL DAY?!" about a second or two later Rarity was able to hear Prince Blueblood's muffled voice from one of the rooms, probably because he was scared of his aunt's tone.

"Um…" said Celestia after a short silence, looking at Rarity again, "She's very strict with him."

"Good." said Rarity with a hint of satisfaction, remembering her interaction with Prince Blueblood during the Grand Galloping Gala. It was probably scary to have Luna as your aunt, but if anypony could teach that rude stallion some manners, then Luna was that pony. "Twilight told me that Luna was going to stop with the voice and old-fashioned talking though…"

"Oh, she still talks like that around him sometimes."

Rarity looked at the red Alicorn at the end of the hallway who was again looking out of the window. "Can I talk to him before we head upstairs?" she would certainly like to get to know the Alicorn better considering who he was.

"Maybe later," Rarity looked at Celestia in confusion and the princess continued, "This is normally the time of the day when he's on his own. Sometimes he even walks around in the main room for hours straight."

"Does he?" asked Rarity with a raised eyebrow.

"Yes. I guess we all have something odd in our ways of behavior." There was a short silence and then Celestia continued. "You can always talk to him later if you want though; it's just that he tends to be in his own little world during this time of the day. Aside from that he's very talkative." Luna kept yelling at her spoiled son while Celestia went with Rarity up to Rarity's new room. Upon arriving, Celestia said she would see Rarity at dinner in a few minutes and then left in order to give Rarity some time to start getting her belongings organized. Of course that Rarity thanked her again and again and again before she left, but Celestia again said that this was the least she could have done for a friend of her personal student.

Being in this room again was making Rarity feel very strange. Unlike last time when she stayed for just a few days, this time she was going to be staying for far longer. Who knew, it might be months, or years, or perhaps forever. Rarity placed her luggage down next to the bed and brought a hoof over to her forehead, forcing herself to stop thinking in such a negative way. She and her friends as well as Sweetie Belle were going to write to each other every day, plus she will sometimes be able to take a few days off in order to visit Ponyville, and maybe her friends will be able to visit her in Canterlot every once in a while too. Now that she was thinking about it like that, things didn't seem as bad as they did just a minute ago. Suddenly it occurred to the purple-maned unicorn that she got the job offer two days ago, yet she was only going to start in a few days considering the fact that Fancy Pants gave her an entire week to think about the offer. But this was Canterlot, so Rarity doubted she'll end up with a lack of things to do until that happened, despite the fact that she was eager to get started with her new job.

Soon a servant arrived to tell Rarity that dinner was ready. She dropped what she was doing instantly and followed the servant, since it would be rude to keep anypony waiting, especially when the ponies in question were Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. When she arrived Celestia was just arriving herself, the two greeted each other silently and then sat down at the table. About maybe a few seconds later, Luna and the red Alicorn Rarity saw before arrived together, looking as if they were caught up in a rather exciting conversation. Despite that, they stopped talking upon entering and looked at Rarity who was looking at them with a hearty smile. "Rarity, it is most wonderful to see you again." said Luna, remembering that it was a long time since she saw either of the Mane 6. Despite the rather intimidating appearance Luna had, she was kind and had a very sweet voice unless she was really angry with somepony.

Rarity chuckled and shared a short hug with the princess, "Luna dear, it is great to see you too!" she looked to the red alicorn almost immediately after that. Now that he wasn't sitting right in front of her she was also able to catch a glimpse of his eyes which were red like his coat. "Do excuse me, I'm afraid I do not know your name yet."

"Blaze." said the alicorn.

"It is my pleasure to finally meet you." He smiled and nodded silently at her, letting her know that he was happy to meet her as well. He recognized her from the glass-paintings in the main room of the castle. Rarity quietly smiled, for it was obvious that Luna had some information to fill her on.

She didn't want to appear rude, but she was quite hungry, having not eaten anything since morning before talking to her friends and telling them that she was leaving. Just as she was about to say it politely and also state that they were all there, Luna spoke. "We don't have to wait like that, not when there's a guest with us." She took in what seemed to be a very big breath. "PRINCE BLUEBLOOD, GET YOURSELF AND YOUR LAZY FLANK OVER HERE AT ONCE!"

Rarity had to stop her jaw from dropping all the way to the floor. She completely forgot about him, and it never occurred to her that he'll be dining with them. As for Celestia and Blaze, they said nothing. Rarity figured that they were probably used to Prince Blueblood being rude and keeping them waiting quite often, or that they found it pointless to say anything about it since Luna already seemed to have it covered. Rarity held back a sigh as she realized that this was going to be a long, awkward and probably unpleasant dinner.

EDIT:

Chapter 9 - Raging Siblings

It was the early morning of the next day and Paint was in the middle of a dream similar to the one he had last night. Again he was in his fictional paradise and again Rainbow Dash was there. Again they were about to kiss and again somepony woke him up just before that happened. He opened his eyes to see Applejack standing above him with a frown on her face for whatever reason. "Ah told ye to get up haven't Ah?" no wonder her voice was louder than it was yesterday morning, because right now she was right next to his mattress rather than outside of the room and behind a closed door. It took Paint a few moments to recover from the sleepiness one experienced upon waking up, and when he did he noticed that Applejack seemed quite angry. "Well, get up already, breakfast's ready." She looked angry and she sounded angry for whatever reason.

Paint looked at her, confused. Was she angry because of the fact Rarity was gone? No, it didn't make any sense. Rarity being gone might make her depressed or upset, but Paint couldn't see a reason for Applejack to be angry the way she was. Clearly there was something else making her upset. He got up and Applejack turned to leave the room. "Is everything alright Applejack?" he asked, only to have her look at him around her shoulder with a glare.

"That's none of yer business." With that, the orange earth pony left, leaving a completely confused Paint staring at the door. He couldn't remember doing anything that might make her mad at him, nor did he see a reason for her to nearly yell at him the way she just did. After all, he was only concerned about her and wanted to see whether there was anything he could do to help her with whatever it was that was making her behave like that.

The still confused Pegasus tidied his mattress and then headed up the stairs where he found the Apple Family already eating. The entire scene looked pretty awkward. Applejack looked upset and Big Macintosh also seemed angry if not angrier than his sister. Paint never thought he'd ever see a stallion as calm as Big Macintosh angry. Applebloom looked simply nervous, and was staring at her food without really eating it or doing anything else. Yesterday she heard everything that happened in Fluttershy's cottage when Applejack arrived, and the way her siblings were acting towards each other since then was obviously bothering her. As for Granny Smith, she was eating her food as if nothing was wrong. She has probably failed to notice the change in the behavior of her grandchildren. Finding the entire scene rather awkward, Paint went towards the table and slowly sat down.

At first he simply stared from one Apple sibling to the other, trying to somehow determine the source of their bad mood, but to no avail. Feeling slightly uneasy, he began to eat. The painful silence was interrupted by Granny Smith once everypony was done eating. "Alright now,-" Paint couldn't help but find himself slightly distracted from the false mood in the room and even slightly cheered up as she spoke. The old mare sounded quite joyful. He even smiled slightly when he saw Applebloom smile. As for Applejack and Big Macintosh, there was no difference in their facial appearance. "-we need te get back te sellin' them apples." She looked at her two older grandchildren, still not noticing that something was off. Paint figured that it was probably the weakened sense of seeing considering how old she was. "Who's takin' our little filly te school before ye three get a move on?"

Neither of the two seemed to be in a mood and Applebloom, who realized that the entire scene might turn into a loud argument, made a suggestion of her own. "Granny Smith, will it be alright if Paint takes me?" She was not in a mood to be around her siblings, lest they should suddenly find a reason to direct some of their anger at her. That was because she has never seen either of them so angry before. She feared of what might end up being Applejack's reaction once the orange earth pony figured out that the entire paring between Fluttershy and Big Macintosh was actually the work of Applebloom and her friends. In fact Applejack seemed simply angry with everypony around her, as if disregarding the fact that they had nothing to do with the whole thing. As for Big Macintosh, she doubted that he would be mad at her, but she just didn't want to take any chances. She didn't want to be more involved in this whole mess than she already was. Paint looked confused for a moment, but it didn't take him too long to realize that Applebloom was nervous to be around her brother and sister at the moment.

"Well, if that's what ye want, then Ah guess that it's fine." She said, looking at Paint who immediately nodded.

"I can take her ma'am, it's not a problem." He said, catching onto Applebloom's poorly-hidden relief. Also, this might give him a chance to try to find out what was going on exactly, because something made him feel that Applebloom might know what the entire mess was about.

Feeling an urge to leave the house upon seeing a short glare exchanged between Big Macintosh and Applejack, Applebloom got up and ran outside. Paint took his saddlebag which he always carried with him and followed her outside. The way she left the kitchen as soon as she got her grandmother's approval only proved that her siblings were the source of her down mood. Applebloom said nothing to him and simply walked alongside him as they made their way towards Cherliee's school. After he was sure that they were some safe distance away from the farm just in case Applejack or Big Macintosh would suddenly decide to join in on the walk, Paint went ahead and attempted to start a conversation. "So… What's with the bad mood all of a sudden?" he hoped to get some sort of an answer, one that might clear things up even just a bit.

Applebloom looked at him as they walked. While Paint was nice and all, the little filly didn't like the idea of telling him something so personal since she had barely been around him for a few days. "Well, it's…" she started, not knowing what to say exactly.

"If you don't want to tell me, then I'm okay with it." He knew better than to push other ponies to discuss something they didn't want to discuss. "It's just that I'm concerned about the three of you, you're like family to me now." They were technically the family he never had. "I would really like to try and help, and I think that talking about it will make you feel better."

"It's… quite complicated…" concluded the little filly with a sigh. She couldn't help but feel guilty for the whole thing, since the idea of getting Fluttershy and Big Macintosh together was her idea. She couldn't remember ever seeing either Big Macintosh or Applejack so angry before, and the way Fluttershy ran upstairs crying was heartbreaking. On the other hoof, she knew that Paint was right and that talking about it will make her feel at least somewhat better. "You ain't gonna tell everypony right?" she doubted he would, but she had to make sure.

"Of course not." replied the blue Pegasus with a reassuring smile.

Applebloom hesitated for a few more moments, but then began talking. "Well, it all started like two weeks ago… Mah big brother was takin' me and mah friend Scootaloo home after we were hangin' out with Sweetie Belle at Rarity's place… Well, it's not too important for what's goin' on right now, so I'll just skip te the part were Scootaloo and I ended up and Fluttershy's cottage. We ran off te mess with Big Macintosh a little, and after passing by her cottage we saw that he wasn't chasing us anymore. So we headed back and saw him standin' there like an idiot while starin' at Fluttershy, so… Mah friends and Ah helped get them together. We promised not te tell anypony since they insisted te be the ones te do it, and…" here she paused for a moment. "You remember that yesterday Scootaloo and Ah went with Sweetie Belle te Fluttershy's cottage te help her get her things organized, and that Big Macintosh came with us so that he could take us home afterwards?"

Paint nodded and she continued, "Well, so there we were, me and mah friends in Sweetie Belle's new room and Big Macintosh and Fluttershy in the livin' room. Ah don't know what went on, Ah'm guessin' he was tryin' to comfort her or somethin' and then Applejack suddenly came in. She saw them and she became furious, she couldn’t believe that her brother and one of her best friends have been datin' fer over two weeks without tellin' her about it. Trust me, the last thing on earth you want to do is lie te Applejack or keepin' things hidden from her… She just lost it back then… I've never seen her so angry before in mah entire life… She yelled at Fluttershy so loudly and Big Macintosh lost his temper as well."

Paint said nothing for a few moments. He couldn't imagine anypony even raising his voice at an adorable mare like Fluttershy, which only emphasized the fact that Applejack was very, very angry. No wonder the two have been acting like that. "I can see why you're upset…" he said after a short silence, "You don't have to blame yourself for this though, you were only trying to help your brother and Fluttershy, I'm sure that they're both grateful for that."

"Ah know that… But…" she sighed and was silent for a few moments, "Ah'm scared of how Applejack will react once she finds out that I knew about this as well… She'll get mad at me for also keepin' it a secret, Ah just know she will…"

"Look, from what you've told me it seems like Applejack is simply overreacting, she'll calm down eventually…" he tried to somewhat reassure her, but it didn't seem to be working.

"Ah don't know, Ah've never seen her so angry before…" said Applebloom with yet another sigh.

"Try to think in a positive way, nopony stays mad forever." Just then they both noticed that they've already arrived at school. "Look, don't worry; if it makes you feel any better, I'll see if there's anything I can do to calm your sister down a little." Applebloom looked at him and nodded with a slight smile and then went into the school.

After that, Paint headed towards the place where he, Applejack and Big Macintosh had set up their stall yesterday. When he got there he saw that Big Macintosh had already brought the cart over and had already set up their selling stall. He could also see that the two were obviously still angry at each other, since both of them carried a frown on their faces and since they weren't talking to each other or even looking at each other. "Hey guys." said Paint, trying to sound as cheerful as he could now that he knew the reason for their bad mood. Big Macintosh looked at him with a slight smile and gave a short nod of greeting, since he knew better than to direct his anger at somepony who didn't deserve it. As for Applejack, she was simply too angry right now in order to pay attention to anything around her. In fact if they didn't have to sell today she would be as far as she could from Big Macintosh and / or Fluttershy. Actually, she would be away from everypony if she could help it. She didn't feel like seeing anypony at the moment, but her wishes were disregarded considering the fact that she was going to have to spend the entire day seeing more and more ponies who were going come over in order to buy their products.

She said nothing and after maybe another minute of preparations they opened their stall and started the day. Everything went pretty similar to the way it did yesterday, only that this time aside from talking to the customers, there wasn't any conversation going around. Big Macintosh again appeared friendly to other ponies as did Paint obviously, Applejack though… It was easy to tell that she was not in a mood to be there. At first it wasn't much of a problem, but Applejack grew grumpier and grumpier as the day went on. Whenever Paint had to leave and go back to the Apple Family's house in order to get more products for the stall he was afraid that he would find a raging argument between the two siblings once he came back. To his relief though, that didn't happen, despite Applejack's noticeable and growing annoyance. When Paint left and came back again sometime around the afternoon, after a few hours have already passed by, he arrived back just in time to see Applejack lose her temper at the level of actually yelling at a costumer, at which point Big Macintosh had already had enough of her behavior.

"AJ, enough is enough." said the crimson stallion, causing Paint to gulp. This was just what the blue Pegasus was afraid of. Big Macintosh was not easy to anger, but he too had a limit to his patience. He might have been speaking in his usual calm tone, but Paint could tell that he was angry as well.

"Oh, look who's suddenly talkin'!" Applejack, whose temper was lost a long time ago, did not both to keep her voice down like he did.

"Ye might be mad at me, but that ain't any reason to be so mean to other ponies." said he, still calmly.

"Tell ye what, why don't ye go back to that backstabber so that ye can carry on with yer filthy lies?!"

At this point Big Macintosh too lost it. He could stay calm just until the point where she said those things about the mare he cared about so dearly and was starting to love more than himself. "Ye will not say those things about her!" Paint noticed that more and more ponies were starting to crowd around them.

"Why, does the truth burn yer ears or somethin'?!" Applejack carried on, not caring if everypony in town heard what she had to say (or yell in this case). "Pah! Ah thought so! Ah wouldn't expect anything else from a liar like ye! No wonder ye two fit each so perfectly, a liar and another liar!"

"Um… guys?" came Paint's nervous voice. He doubted he'll be able to calm them down though.

Applejack carried on with her shouting, "Why don't ye go over there where ye truly belong?!"

"Ye know what, maybe Ah will! Some sister ye are!"

"Right back at ye!" concluded Applejack.

The two siblings glared at each other and then left heading in different directions, leaving Paint standing alone by the stall. At first the crowd around him talked to each other in confusion but soon enough all of their attention was directed at him, causing him to feel rather nervous. "Um…" he began, not knowing what to do, "As you can see everypony, there are some, uh, technical difficulties… uh… I'm afraid we're going to have to close for today…" Why did he say today? From how angry Applejack and Big Macintosh seemed, it could be for a much longer time. Everypony around him simply stared for a few moments and then began to scatter. Paint looked at the cart-stall and sighed as he realized that he was going to have to carry that heavy-looking wagon all the way back to the farm on his own.

He went over to the harness Big Macintosh always used in order to carry the cart and somehow managed to place it on him. It took a few adjustments considering that Big Macintosh was bigger than he, but that little problem was soon out of the way. Taking in a deep breath, the blue Pegasus began to carry the cart slowly, for it looked even heavier than it looked. How was Big Macintosh carrying it with such ease he had no idea, but he guessed that it was probably the result of working at the farm so much. The effort became harder and harder the longer Paint pulled, causing the stallion to groan in annoyance. It went on for about a minute or two until he heard a familiar voice call for him. Before he realized it, Rainbow Dash was right next to him, causing him to nearly jump back in surprise.

Rainbow Dash of course nearly broke into laughter at his reaction. "Is it time for that flying lesson already?" he asked, looking at her. It's not that he wasn't happy to see her though.

Rainbow shrugged, "No, it's still early, but I couldn't wai-" here she paused. "I had nothing better to do, so I thought I might come early or something." Why was she about to say that she couldn't wait?

"Oh, I see." Said Paint after a short silence. "Well, we finished up early so…" he began again to slowly pull the wagon.

Rainbow Dash was about to ask why did he, Applejack and Big Macintosh were finished so early, but was soon distracted by how slow Paint went on with the cart. Again she laughed, "Wow, I really do have a lot of work to do with you huh?" She took the one small step it took in order to catch up with him. "Step aside." Paint at first looked confused, but before he realized it Rainbow has already removed the harness from him and placed it on her instead. "I'll race you to the farm!" with that she broke into a run, laughing as she left Paint behind. After a moment or two of staring there with astonishment at how fast Rainbow was pulling that cart, Paint began to chase her. No matter how fast he ran, Rainbow Dash was still faster, even with the extra-extra weight of the wagon.

When he arrived at the barn, he found Rainbow Dash already waiting there with a triumphant grin spread across her face. Paint took a few moments to catch his breath, "How… did you… do that?"

"It comes with my awesome." said she with a grin, "Beside I told you that there's room for work with you. Maybe when I'm done with you you'll be 10 percent of what I am, if you're lucky." Paint couldn't help but chuckle. He never felt annoyed whenever she decided to show-off and boast. She was about to suggest that they started the lesson, because she already had an entire work-out schedule for the afternoon, but instead her mind suddenly went back to what she was about to ask just a minute ago. "Oh, I almost forgot, why did you guys finish early?" She knew that Applejack was not the lazy type, which was why she found the entire situation rather strange.

"It's…" Paint didn't know how to explain it exactly, since it seemed as if Rainbow Dash still didn't know of everything that has happened, "Applejack and her brother really lost it towards each other… I mean, like really lost it…"

"That's odd." said Rainbow, "I mean they argue sometimes, but when you say it like that…"

"It's because of the fight AJ had with Fluttershy yesterday… From what Applebloom told me Applejack yelled at her rather harshly…" Paint doubted he should tell Rainbow Dash the cause to that fight, since he did promise to Applebloom that he will not tell.

This made Rainbow Dash look very upset. "She yelled at Fluttershy?" she asked as if in an attempt at confirming what she had just heard, an attempt she hoped would fail.

"From what I understood, yes…" said Paint, not knowing what else to say other than that.

"I…" Rainbow untied the wagon's harness form herself. "I have to go… We'll… We'll do this tomorrow instead okay?" without really waiting for an answer from the blue Pegasus in front of her she took off, looking troubled. How could anypony yell at Fluttershy? How could Applejack yell at Fluttershy? Something must have happened to cause all of this, obviously.

Knowing that there wasn't anything he could do about the mess at the moment and wanting to get his mind distracted from the entire thing, Paint decided to head to the library. A good book was always a source of relaxation. Well, that and drawing. But Paint was in no mood to draw anything at the moment, since the only thing that was in his head right now was the way Applejack and Big Macintosh screamed at each other. He headed to the library where he found Twilight reading. "Oh, hey Paint." She said joyfully, closing the door behind him with her magic once he was inside. It was clear to Paint that she too was unaware of yesterday's incident at Fluttershy's cottage.

"Hey Twilight…" he didn't want to upset her as well by telling her of it though.

"What can I help you with?" asked the purple mare, not taking her eyes off her book.

"I was wondering if I could maybe just sit around and read something… If that's okay…" said the blue Pegasus.

Twilight chuckled, "Of course you can. I mean, this is a library after all." Plus, she wouldn't mind having somepony around the library for a change.

"Thanks."

Twilight helped him find the book he wanted and he sat down to read, leaving his saddlebag open on the floor next to him. Twilight at some point decided to get her guest some water and headed towards the kitchen. As she passed by Paint however she saw that his saddlebag was filled with sheets of paper. She looked at the bag for a moment and then realized what was on the papers. "Oh, did you draw these?"

At first Paint didn't realize what she was talking about, but then he saw her looking at his saddlebag. He gulped as he saw her horn began to glow, "No wait! These are-"

He didn't manage to finish and one of the paintings was already floating in front of Twilight's face. "Wow, it's amazing, it's…" suddenly she paused and moved the painting aside a bit so that she could look at Paint, "It's Rainbow Dash."

Paint could feel it as the sweat began to appear on his face. "Uh…"

Before he could say anything else Twilight brought over another drawing. "This one's of Rainbow Dash too." She brought over another and then another and then another. "And this one, and this one, and this one…" at some point she stopped and simply stared at the stallion, whose face carried a furious blush.

"Look, uh… Can I tell you something?" he asked, nervously and she nodded. He went ahead and walked closer to her lest anypony should hear what he was about to say, despite the fact that there were no other ponies in the library but them. "I have a crush on Rainbow Dash…"

Twilight simply stared at him for a short moment. "You don't say."

Paint felt his face turn even redder. "You can't tell anypony! Promise me you won't tell!"

"Don't worry, I won't. Losing a friend's trust is the fastest way-"

Before she could even complete the sentence, Pinkie Pie was suddenly in the middle of the room, causing both Paint and Twilight to jump in surprise. "Forever!" She disappeared as quickly as she had arrived.

"What was that?" asked Paint, confused.

"That was Pinkie Pie…" said Twilight, sounding slightly embarrassed as a result of her friend's behavior, "You know, you might as well not carry those paintings with you if you want to keep this a secret…" she brought up the rest of the paintings out of the saddlebag with her magic and then noticed two certain drawings which were not of Rainbow Dash, "Hey, what are these?" she brought them over and looked at them. The first one was of Princess Celestia and Princess Luna and the second one was of Luna and Blaze.

"Uh… I drew these after being at the royal wedding two months ago…" said Paint, feeling glad that they were no longer discussing his drawings of Rainbow Dash.

"You were at the wedding? Princess Celestia invited me and my friends, but it was just too far…" said Twilight.

"Well, the town was the place where I've been staying back then."

"Wow, you really weren't kidding when you said that you've been traveling a lot. I would have certainly come if it wasn't that far."

"Oh, but that's where Blaze is originally from." said Paint, "Having the ceremony take place there meant a lot for him."

"I've never seen another alicorn aside from Princess Celestia and Princess Luna before."

"As far as I know," explained the Pegasus, "He was found as a foal and was raised there…"

"He is younger than Luna then." said Twilight.

"I guess he is, but it doesn't really matter…"

"Oh yeah, living forever and all of that…" chuckled Twilight, before turning her attention back to the two drawings, "I understand why you carry the paintings of Rainbow with you, but why do you have these two?"

"Well…" Paint didn't know how to explain this exactly. "When Luna returned from the moon, I thought she will never be able to adjust to Equestria again… But then I saw her there after all this time had passed."

"I don't get it." said Twilight, sounding confused.

"Look at her for a moment." Twilight did as she was told and looked at the two paintings. Luna seemed very happy in both of them. Paint sure did a great job catching every single detail. "I honestly thought she will never be happy, not to mention that it seemed impossible for her to ever find a special somepony… Whenever I look at these two drawings I immediately feel better. It shows me that if Luna was able to achieve happiness then anypony else can achieve it too."

Twilight was silent for a few moments but then she smiled. "Wow, I never thought about it like that, but you're right."

a

A/N: Took me longer than with previous chapters this time, I hope it's alright… Reviews are welcome as always! =)

Edited by asafk8