Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Cyberpunk and dystopians, are they really so far from the future?

(Oh and I almost forgot, if this thread should not be posted her please move it, I was not really sure because it cross over the different forums)

Hello, This post is about some things I have thought about lately.

Well, to begin, if you have not heard about the Lizzards situation and the PSN Network(and other gaming servers) being down, here´s a video explaining the hole situation.

And the newest information on this is that anonymous has chosen to help FBI with catching Lizzardsquad.

All this got me thinking about, how far are we actually are from a dystopian or cyberpunk situation. But before I draw my conclusion that subject. Let me tell you about another link between our world and the dystopian/cyberpunk world. What I´m talking about is a game called, ingress. It´s a gps based game where you defend and take over portals. When you move around with say your phone for example, you also move around in the ingress world.

But now, how do I link this to the real world. Well, let´s say that these portals where servers and that the where protecting secret and important data, have you begun to feel that cyberpunk feeling yet?  Then it would not be a game anymore. The guys playing this games would not be players any more, they would be hackers. It would be a perfect setting for a cyberpunk or dystopian novel.  

And now for the last scaring touch to it all, all this that the lizzard squad is doing, as I referred to in the beginning of this post, is so incredible simple to do. Of course I´m not going to give you any instructions because these things is extremely illegal.  But imagine a world where you have the power to take down massive servers with only your smartphone, some would call this a cyberpunk/dystopian story but with the right knowledge, then this is reality.

So what thoughts do you have about all this, is the world already a cyberpunk story despite the fact that the dystopian catastrophe has not happen...just yet ;) - Sonicrainboom97

Edited by Sonicrainboom97