Do MLP reviewers take the show too seriously?

Marine_Vet_Brony

*snip*

Extremely well put.  This is basically how I feel.

I'll add that the "it's just a kid's show" defense is just an excuse, and if said by the writers, a cop-out.  Being a cartoon and a kid's show means that we can accept some slapstick, and the occasional defiance of the laws of physics, as long as it's not too overdone.  Pinkie slowing herself down in mid-air while jumping into the lake so as to be quiet out of consideration for RD is a perfect of example of just the right amount of cartoon physics.  But the fact is that kids want and deserve quality entertainment.  Kids aren't stupid (well, no more than adults, anyway.)  Saying "it's just for kids" is like excusing it from being of good quality.  We know the FIM team is capable of greatness, so that's what we should expect, and that's what they should be pushed towards.

That said, sure, some of the reviewers analyze it like as if it were Geoffrey Chaucer in a college English class.  Yeah, that's a little much, but it's also important not to take the reviews themselves too seriously.  Sometimes it can just be really fun to overanalyze.  Personally, I love picking at the details.  I'll even pause the show to quibble at some continuity error, but that doesn't mean I don't still love it.  I just love to quibble and analyze.  But the in-depth analyses often make very good points, too.  It gives me a lot to think about, and extends the life and rewatchability of the show for me.  Sure, sometimes reviewers read between the lines and find meaning that was never intended, but if meaning can be inferred, than it is indeed there, in a sense.  I mean, what do you think English teachers do?  They're only speculating on what Shakespeare intended.  It's not like they can ask him.  And how about when English teachers insist on analyzing Lord of the Rings as a political alagory, when Tolkein himself stated explicity that that was not his intention?  Yeah, how bout them apples?  Sometimes analyzing is fun, and it can give meaning, even if that meaning wasn't intentional.

One last thing.  This is something to keep in mind forever, for all episodes, past and future.  The reason we analyze and argue and debate is because the show is worthy of it.  It it were nothing but silly slapstick with one-dimensional characters (which has its place, too), there would be nothing to analyze or debate.  If the show gets picked apart, it's the show's own fault for setting the bar so high.  It's a compliment, really.  I've always been one of the bronies who believes this show can be so much more than it is.  Not that I actually think this would be a good idea, you know, for kids and such, but part of me wishes we could literally have Mare of Steel or ponified LOTR.  I think this show has prooved it could shoulder that weight.

• Brohoof 2

I'll start off by saying that I believe media is 100% subjective. That means there is no such thing as "factual" quality to a show, song, or anything in media. There is no "factually" good or bad episode of the show. It is all based off one's opinion.

That being said, most people who review the show in-depth mainly do so for fun. Sometimes I too like to pick apart a piece of media just for the sake of it. Doing so isn't "taking the show too seriously" as long as one isn't letting it effect them too much, and isn't making a ludicrous claim such as "Anyone who enjoys this is a moron". Diving deeper into the show's concepts may even bring new enjoyment to the series. And besides, constructive criticism is good food for thought.

• Brohoof 5

I don't really get why there is such a hatred for reviewers of MLP. Most of the reviewers just do it to have a fun time. 

Now, if you don't like how some people review, picking apart every little detail, then don't watch videos of these reviewers. Problem solved. I don't think it's fair to say that they need to stop picking apart every fault just to have fun. I personally really enjoy nitpicking, and like to make video's about it sometimes. Even if nobody would watch the videos, I would still make them, because I like making these videos

• Brohoof 2

I don't really get why there is such a hatred for reviewers of MLP.

I could understand it if the people who don't want to be involved in that sort thing felt like they couldn't escape it.  Maybe it's not just the videos, but how the discussions in places like this forum go.  Do we, people who enjoy analysis, inject analysis where it might not be welcomed by everybody?  I'm speculating and making guesses, but as much I like analysis, I don't want to get in the way of someone else enjoying the show and bronydom too.

• Brohoof 1

While I agree these are taken by both reviewers and some fans alike I think that its sort of important, I mean that's what a reviewr should do. If they aren't looking into it deeply then what's the point of reviewing it? If they just say "Good Episode. Bad Episode" that's pretty pointless... As for fans doing it? I'm a little guilty of that myself HOWEVER it not meaning being over-analytical is a bad thing, its just picking up on these things. Its only taken too far when there is then huge ranting about the flaws in the show...

Maybe, but I really don't care to watch MLP Analysis videos or reviews. I'm pretty sure they do it for fun, to appreciate the show more, etc. but they're really not my cup of tea. We all have our own ways of enjoying and appreciating the show.

I for example love the show due to how fun it is and enjoy even the episodes most analyzers consider bad like the Equestria Girls movies, Rainbow Falls, Equestria Games, etc. There are really only four episodes I really can't enjoy (Spike at your Service, Daring Don't, Mysterious Mare Do Well and A Friend in Deed). For me analysis videos just suck the fun out of the show so I don`t watch them. Note that this applies only to me, personally. For others analysis videos can add to the fun of the show. Like I said, everyone appreciates the show in a different way.

I just like seeing everyone's opinions, these analysis videos are like forums, your just reading their video, and not text. Comments then act like the forums, although they are not as well ruled due to ANYONE liking the show or not commenting and causing rage/flame (I mean same can happen here but a LOT less likely, I've seen it, just take my word for it). 

It's easy, just stick to what you believe, and let them have the way they think. The problem is that each of us are trying to make a point on what we believe, even if the message is what I'm saying with believing what you want, I am trying to get you to listen to me, so it just gets into a big mess with me myself and I as I am typing all of this out................

Choose what you want though I guess! XD

That appears to be the popular stereotype, at least.

Personally, I don't mind the reviewers (Heck, I love joshscorcher's MLP reviews). They often bring pretty valid points and pretty interesting insights. I know it's a kids' show they're reviewing, but that doesn't excuse it from criticism. Kids' shows doesn't have to be mindless simpletons (Which frankly is pretty insulting towards the intelligence of children).

• Brohoof 1

post-24370-0-75544500-1421393629_thumb.jpg

I do think some of the analysis videos go a little overboard sometimes. I find it entertaining and it doesn't really bother me.

The only episode I have a problem with is Mare Do Well because it seemed too contrived and mean spirited. Purposefully messing with someones head to make them feel bad is not a good thing to do, especially to a friend. :okiedokielokie:  All Rainbow Dash was doing was being annoying, not hurting anyone.

I don't rip on the episodes too much because I think the crew is doing a pretty good job with what they have to work with.

• It has to first and foremost be appropriate for the "target audience."
  • They have to get everything to fit nicely in in 22 (occasionally 44) minutes.
  • They have to stay on schedule and deadlines have too be met.
  • They also have to constantly deal with whiny Hasbro and, "Make me another princess! Make the main character a princess! Make me a movie we can make dolls from! Make some colorful shit so we can make some *new* colorful shit to sell! Make me a castle!"

Hmmm... That last bit sure reminds me of something... :huh:

post-24370-0-17803000-1421394809.jpg

Edited by steve88

• 2 weeks later...

well it depends on whats happening in the episodes for taking it to serious I mean theyre lots and lots of people who might take the show too serious with the characters especially with some of the fans as you said Dr wolf, Sliver quill ETC  do that cause to find out the purpose of the episode but it depends like I said

I think I made my point

I can't speak for reviewers because I make it a point not to watch them, but I do think some fans go too deep with certain things. I myself am a guy who will twist his headcanon into nearly impossible bends to make everything fit inside it, with the following lines firmly rooted in the back of my head: "First and foremost this is a kids' show. It has a huge peripheral demographic, but it wasn't made to endure close scrutiny." I like overanalyzing things for the purpose of fanfiction and mental exercise (this is also why I don't watch reviews, I prefer coming up with my own theories) but I don't attach a lot of weight to my headcanon because from the start the show's been meant as light-hearte entertainment.

Season 4 has something that could be considered an overarching arc, but the continuity is fairly consistent there so smaller contradictions aren't necessarily significant. Personally I incorporate the canon from the comics and EQG into my headcanon as well, so there are bound to be some inconsistencies that aren't as easily explained.

Although all of this is fairly roundabout way of saying it, my bottom line is that it's fun to analyze the show, but 'errors' in the continuity episodes have with one another should not be taken into acount when judging an episode. The episodes are made to enable stand-alone watching and the order in which they take place (at least in Season 1) is not set in stone. Analyze what you want, but do bear in mind that people like us are not the intended audience.

• Brohoof 1