Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do MLP reviewers take the show too seriously?

Marine_Vet_Brony

So do you guys think that reviewers like Dr. Wolf, Silver Quill and etc take the show too seriously and looking for a deeper meaning between the lines when their is nothing their or do you think they are right about the?

While I think their channels are entertaining I do think they take a show too seriously and look between the lines when nothing is their. Kinda like the world was doing to the Kids' book in a South Park episode The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, them and a lot of the fans.  I see these comments about "x was a terrible episode because it contradicted a single line of dialogue made three years ago by another writer."  or about other inconsequential things.  I'm just curious about when kids shows became something that needed analyzing in the first place?

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, them and a lot of the fans.  I see these comments about "x was a terrible episode because it contradicted a single line of dialogue made three years ago by another writer."  or about other inconsequential things.  I'm just curious about when kids shows became something that needed analyzing in the first place?

I think it takes from the fact that many in the fandom have to justify their choice to the outside world by making the show more "mature" then it is actually is at times.

I can't speak from experience as I don't watch/read any episode reviews, but closely analyzing things is kind of the point of reviewing them. I prefer to just watch and enjoy the show but I don't think it's fair to criticize reviewers for going in-depth. Though I would agree sometimes people look for things that aren't there.

• Brohoof 6

Both analysers and fans have a tendency to take the show too seriously, or take the analysis video too seriously. Analysers such as Tommy Oliver, Buc Brony, Digi brony and Fluttershy FiM, all dissect the mechanics of the story, how the plot moves, the pacing, character development and continuity, so sometimes I get a sense, they like episodes based on how well they are made, for they seem to go over and over again, about plot holes, character inconstancies, and animation errors, which makes it fine for an analysis video, but not quite a review. Sometimes I just want an opinion, what did they story do for them, what did it make them feel, and lastly, what do they think of the people who liked or dislike the episode? Fans can have various thoughts, about an episode or an analysis video, but it takes more than just looking to see how well the episode was created, but to express how you feel about it, and also to respect that some fans disagree about episodes or videos, moreover, we should not take each analysis too seriously, for you have to decide for yourself, what to think and feel about an episode, no one with express for you, it is fun to see these YouTube videos, or sometimes it is not to your liking, think for yourselves.   

I guess that would depend on the reviewer.

On one hand, yes, MLP isn't meant to be the symbolic thought-provoking philisophical series that some people make it out to be. However, I am okay with some analysis videos videos, as long as they understand that they're only meant to be taken with a grain of salt, since they're just a headcanon. DrWolf (from what I've seen) seems to understand this, and (from what I've seen) doesn't seem to let his preconceptions affect his opinions on episodes. 

On the other hand, I don't think people should be too forgiving of the show's problems just because it's a kid's show. I like the show, and I want to see it improve, so why shouldn't people hold it up to a higher standard? (That is, assuming people know what they're talking about, and critique things like major plot holes, pacing, and story structure, rather than supposed contradictions to theories that were never confirmed in the show.)

Edited by SpaceOnion
  • Brohoof 1

I actually think those 2 are the better of the analysis channels, seeing as they focus more on analysis of the show and world as a whole, and less on trying to hard to be a critic by critiquing every single detail, even if the detail is not that big of a deal.

• Brohoof 2

At this point I feel as if people are taking analysis videos too seriously. Not every one of them is going to be another Digibrony or Tommy Oliver.

On the subject at hand, while some reviewers take the show seriously, I find some value from it. One of the biggest reasons they take it seriously is because they know the writers can do better. The more the writers learn from critics the better their content will be. The main problem with the Brony Analysis Community at the moment is how they're digging a little too deep into it to the point of pretentiousness. It's a real shame too, as I really like the BAC.

• Brohoof 4

I bounce back and forth with this. One on hand (hoof...whatever), you want to say "Just enjoy the show and quit taking it so seriously; it's just a kids show." On the other hand, MLP has achieved a standard. It has raised the bar so high that there is a certain level of quality that we've come to expect. This team has proven itself capable of writing a damn good show. And I'd vouch to say that Season 4 was the best yet. Season 3 was underrated, and actually very good. Seasons 2 was awesome. And Season 1 understandably had some slip-ups, but that was the pilot season and the first two seasons were spent getting the show to grow into its own. 

Now there are some things we should always reject outright.

• Major character derailment - I think this is only excusable where character derailment is part of the story, but it needs to be kept in check. The Return of Harmony Parts 1 & 2 pulled this off well. Putting Your Hoof Down (though I liked that episode) took it too far. Fluttershy wasn't assertive; she was cruel. Discorded Fluttershy was just catty. 
  • Bad morals - If the lesson the show teaches isn't good. Feeling Pinkie Keen is an episode I have to pick on for this one because the moral just wasn't that good. Instead of "Believe in the things that can't be explained because your friends say so," it should have been more along the lines of "Your friends may believe different things than you do, and you (as a gooooood friend img-3411832-1-post-24753-0-61999300-1406) should respect them for their beliefs.
  • Heinous acts (esp. without consequence) - I haven't seen this in FiM yet, but it is in SpongeBob. One Coarse Meal. Basically Mr. Krabs drives Plankton to suicide and feels no remorse. And then nothing happens to him. Yeah. On top of that SpongeBob stabs Plankton in the back with the projection of whales...
  • Pain that the audience can feel - Slapstick is funny. Odds are, none of us are going to be able to relate to the kind of pain associated with having a bale of hay, then an anvil, then a piano fall on us. Slapstick is great because it can appeal to almost anyone. It worked for decades in Tom & Jerry. But animation can show things that live action can't do as good of a job at. And sometimes, animation can take it too far. In no show should there be slow or extreme pain to the fingers, feet, eyes, teeth, face in general, nails, or genitals. Those are extremely sensitive parts of the body, and the human brain has a tendency to be sympathetic to painful events. If you see someone in a show stubbing their toe, you'll have instinctual reaction to that pain even if you're feeling no pain at all. It is excusable only when the involved parts are the fingers or toes (everything else is a no-no) and the pain is very light. Even so, someone putting these parts through pain is treading on some very thin ice.
  • Shocking imagery - I feel like this is self-explanatory. Don't show gross things.

We should definitely enjoy the show, but not always take it at face value. Expect quality writing out of this team. If this is the team that can make Pinkie Pride, Filli Vanilli, and the four episodes that opened and closed the season, then I'm it can consistently pump out good episodes. 

Edited by Spaced Out Woona
  • Brohoof 4

There was a famous quote in the classic theme of Mystery science theater 3000. It said: "If you're wondering how he eats and breathes And other science facts, Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax." It's not bad not liking an episode, but if i watch it to find every little nitpick in it, then i wonder why i watch movies or TV shows in the first place.

There was this one reviewer, which name i don't remember, who was questioning the tornado in hurricane Fluttershy, because this shouldn't be physical possible.

y__all_don__t_say_by_mamandil-d5e36kb.pn

You wanna talk physics in a show with talking ponies and magic? Dude, watch something else.

• Brohoof 6

At this point I feel as if people are taking analysis videos too seriously. Not every one of them is going to be another Digibrony or Tommy Oliver. On the subject at hand, while some reviewers take the show seriously, I find some value from it. One of the biggest reasons they take it seriously is because they know the writers can do better. The more the writers learn from critics the better their content will be. The main problem with the Brony Analysis Community at the moment is how they're digging a little too deep into it to the point of pretentiousness. It's a real shame too, as I really like the BAC.

Pretty much this. The BAC tends to be better when it leans towards a genuine appreciation or disappointment in the show, instead of trying to superficially ape Digi & Oliver or freak out over every nitpick because Nostalgia Critic Did It whilst failing to understand why it was funny when he did it. One of my favorite shows of this breed is TBBBAP, and that isn't even analysis; that's just two guys goofing around and talking about what they just watched, which is entertaining to me (and is in the same vein of why I like Game Grumps, come to think of it).

On a side note, I'm getting tired of the argument that the show clearly wasn't meant to be thought about to any degree. It sells the writers short; any narrative above the level of a Burger King commercial is trying to say something about something, even if it's something super simple, like "friendship really is magic." There's a point when it becomes pretentious, but this is a show I totally think it worth discussing.

• Brohoof 4

I don't think so. MLP is quite a complex show compared to your average little kids show. The great characterization, storylines, animation, etc are what draws people in. The analysis community is just there for people to hear what others have to say about it. I personally enjoy watching that kind of stuff. If you're just an average brony who watches the show and likes it for what it is, I'd recommend staying away from the analysis community. It'll annoy you.

• Brohoof 1

Yes yes 1000 times yes!!!!

It's so stupid how unfairly certain episodes are reviewed by some people.... It's like they are looking for any reason at all to bash an episode, then get attention. Attention: it makes you look like an a$$h0l3.

I do think a lot of them do take the show to seriously in a sense that they complain over a lot of really stupid things and reach conclusions that no reasonable viewer come to(the Trade Ya slavery thing is a good example of what I'm talking about), and that often times they really take things the wrong way.....

With that said, I do feel something like the episode's moral is something that should be taken seriously, as it's possible that the writers may screw up on delivering the morals, which is very important in FiM.....

That said, I still don't get how people got religious implications from Feeling Pinkie Keen

• Brohoof 1

"If you're wondering how he eats and breathes And other science facts, Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax."

Exactly.  I don't worry about rainbow dash's apparent speed or other physical impossibilities because we already have talking ponies and magic.  I think about things like consistency within the episode and the show itself, execution and attention to detail.  Things that aren't necessarily pretentious, just a deconstruction.  The problem comes when headcannon is passed off as analysis.  Some people just want to watch the show and some people like to break things down.  We're all enjoying the show.

These "reviewers" or "analyzers", in my opinion, don't take the show too seriously, they just take their skills in the field and put it to the test on their fandom, the brony fandom. But listen to them at your own risk, as they may change your prospective on MLP in general.

My favorite is Golden Fox ;)

• Brohoof 1

@Marine_Vet_Brony, I've moved this topic to Sugarcube Corner, as it deals with Bronydom. The Debate Pit is meant for topics that have to deal with religions, politics, or ideology rather than something MLP-based.

• Brohoof 1

YES! Yes, yes, yes, oh my FREAKING GOD YES! People need to calm their shit about the show, I mean really. It's a show about technicolored talking horses made for a younger female audience, they don't need to be so critical about it, even the comics or Equestria Girls. And it's more about personal opinion anyways, so it doesn't really matter. I think this fandom- scratch that, ANY fandom can go without reviewers. As I say "Just shut up and enjoy the Ponies."

Aaaaaaaaand I'm done here...

• Brohoof 1

No. Well, to an extent. Just cause it's a kid's show doesn't excuse it from criticism. In fact, no form of media,be it TV, music, video games, none of it is excused from criticism. I agree that some bronies take nitpicking too far *cough*Digibrony*cough* And Tommy Oliver to an extent. If there are glaring flaws in an episode, they're going to be called out on, whether you like it or not. You don't need to listen to them.

Edited by Celli
  • Brohoof 3

I don't think you can take a show too seriously, really. I actually kind of despise when someone says something to the affect of "Just turn your brain off and enjoy it, don't be so serious!", because some people don't enjoy watching things without thinking about them, in fact some people can't enjoy things without thinking about them.

I am seeing people talk about trying to apply too much scientific thought to MLP, and that is probably an issue, but in truth part of the responsibility of a fantasy story is maintaining the audience's willing suspension of disbelief, making them not think about how that pegasus can fly faster than the speed of sound and produce a rainbow because they're enjoying the story and it doesn't seem too weird in the context to accept. It's a fine art, and one I think that MLP does very well.

With this and other issues, I think reviewers can fail when they're looking into certain elements of the story without taking others into context properly (like the aforementioned science thing) and just simply basing reviews off of erroneous thoughts. I think every reviewer will do these things to some extent, but the challenge of reviewing is doing these as little as possible while still providing a fun and informative piece. I don't know that seriousness really has anything to do with it :)

• Brohoof 4

I haven't checked out a lot of reviewers, but I have observed some taking it too seriously, while others don't. I think it varies and my personal favorite MLP reviewer, The Second Opinion, is not like that at all. I've seen a couple reviews from Tommy Oliver, and I do think he takes the series pretty seriously. I think some people just forget that the show is called My Little Pony, and that it is about talking anthropomorphic horses of varying hues set in a world heavily inspired by Greek mythology and other fantasy elements.

It was never meant to be taken that seriously, though it does have some serious moments. I guess because this series greatly surpasses all expectations for a show of its nature many people, myself included, don't often reflect on the fact that it is technically a show for girls under the age of 12. Maybe the fact that some people take it really seriously is a testament to just how great the series is.

As someone who has a pony analysis channel on Youtube (haven't added new videos in some time, mainly due to lack of time and energy) I feel like I should chime in with at least my two cents.  

From my experience, Brony analysts do what we do simply because we enjoy it.  I like to look at and examine how things work.  Or if it doesn't work, why it doesn't work. That's just a part of my personality.  Others may just like to experience things without giving them too much thought.  Either way is fine, but I don't think it's fair to call out those who like to analyze things more and say that they're "taking it too seriously".  

To me, the analysis gives me a greater appreciation of the series, and frankly it's probably what made me a brony.  Hell, it's what led me to my favorite pony in the series (what they were able to accomplish with Rarity as a character was something that *really* interested me the more I thought about it.  Before that, it was Pinkie Pie).  You see different things that you didn't see before, which only enhances the series as a result.  Conversely, you can pinpoint flaws too, in which case you can find out what works and doesn't work for you.  I tend to prefer to try and savor and appreciate what works, but that's just my own style as an analyst.  

• Brohoof 6

As someone who has a pony analysis channel on Youtube (haven't added new videos in some time, mainly due to lack of time and energy) I feel like I should chime in with at least my two cents.  

From my experience, Brony analysts do what we do simply because we enjoy it.  I like to look at and examine how things work.  Or if it doesn't work, why it doesn't work. That's just a part of my personality.  Others may just like to experience things without giving them too much thought.  Either way is fine, but I don't think it's fair to call out those who like to analyze things more and say that they're "taking it too seriously".  

To me, the analysis gives me a greater appreciation of the series, and frankly it's probably what made me a brony.  Hell, it's what led me to my favorite pony in the series (what they were able to accomplish with Rarity as a character was something that *really* interested me the more I thought about it.  Before that, it was Pinkie Pie).  You see different things that you didn't see before, which only enhances the series as a result.  Conversely, you can pinpoint flaws too, in which case you can find out what works and doesn't work for you.  I tend to prefer to try and savor and appreciate what works, but that's just my own style as an analyst.  

You make me want to get further into to analysis.

EDIT

I was doing analysis in my head without thinking about it or knowing that the analysis community existed while I watched the show for the first time.  I sought out analysis after that because I wanted to hear other people's thoughts.  It's a personality thing.  For some people, it's just a natural thing to do.

Edited by Pinkie-Guy