Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do some people take their love for MLP characters too far?

Scarlet Letter

I want to, but I can't even chase off those judgmental and cynical thoughts for some reason.

It's something you kinda have to work on, before it eventually becomes second nature.

It's made me a happier, better person, though.

• Brohoof 1

It's something you kinda have to work on, before it eventually becomes second nature.

It's made me a happier, better person, though.

I don't doubt it, my issue that I'm not exactly surrounded by people that help my faith in humanity any. 

I don't doubt it, my issue that I'm not exactly surrounded by people that help my faith in humanity any.

I feel you, dude. I'm stationed in Kansas. The most ignorant, racist, homophobic, xenophobic state I've ever lived in.

• Brohoof 1

Is this guy [who claims to have married Twilight Sparkle] crazy? Do you support his love for Twi? Would you do the same thing? Do you think the guy is just a troll? I want honest opinions.

I honestly think he might've tooken it too far. 

I mean, don't get me wrong, I have a crush on a character too, (Just look in my profile picture. You'll see who I'm talking about) but I wouldn't say I married her, or anything. I mean, if she was actually real.....then.....yeah, I might. I don't know. BUT, if I did that, I'd make half of the fandom come after me like a mob. lol

• Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 1

I honestly think he might've tooken it too far. 

I mean, don't get me wrong, I have a crush on a character too, (Just look in my profile picture. You'll see who I'm talking about) but I wouldn't say I married her, or anything. I mean, if she was actually real.....then.....yeah, I might. I don't know. BUT, if I did that, I'd make half of the fandom come after me like a mob. lol

Lol I feel u man, I mean having a crush on them is fine but marrying a plushie is crazy

• Leaves 1

• 6 years later...
  • 3 years later...

I have a huge crush on Moondancer but also a little feelings for Twilight.

If we're being serious, then all kind of love is love for a fictional character: The image of that person that you create in your imagination based on your knowledge of them within their social role as romantic partner. You cannot really know a real person except for themself since you don't have access to what they do when you're not around and their internal thought processes. And maybe even they cannot truly know a real person, because who knows themself well?

Therefore, developing intense romantic feelings for a character from a fictional* narrative meant for entertainment, isn't that far off.

*virtually everyone, including those who have pony waifus, assume those ponies are fictional, and I stick to that now for the sake of this argument. Though, I actually believe those ponies are real.

• Leaves 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, the heart wants what the heart wants. If people love their ponies, I have no problem with that. These are characters with great personalities and attractiveness. They often have rich backstories and it’s easy to love someone like that, even head-over-hooves love.

• Hugs 1
  • Leaves 1

• 1 month later...
On 2013-12-15 at 12:44 PM, Scarlet Letter said:

Is this guy [who claims to have married Twilight Sparkle] crazy? Do you support his love for Twi? Would you do the same thing? Do you think the guy is just a troll? I want honest opinions.

They do, yes. I understand the feeling behind this, but I, for example, know how to separate the fiction of reality and I believe all fans should do the same. The most I did in all my life was getting immersed and falling in love, marrying and all that with another character in an RPG, but that's all.

There's no way I can love something that doesn't exist nor can requite my affections.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly? Probably, but it's none of my business. Long as you're not harming other people, yourself, or actively pushing the hobby on other people I guess it's okay?

I remember I once knew a boy who was deep in love with Rainbow Dash. It was during the height of the fandom, when I was like 16-17 and he a few years younger.

His avatar immediately stood out since it was a love confession to Rainbow Dash, as well as his signature. He constantly confessed his love to RD. This was when I was new in the fandom and the whole concept of waifus was alien to me. I thought he was joking (like I assumed all other previous instances where I heard of waifus to be jokes and roleplaying). So I just asked him in a private conversation. And yeah, he was serious but it took me some time and repeated confessions on his side to realise it.

He said his real life sucked, MLP gave him hope and his love for Rainbow Dash was the only thing keeping him going. At one point, I asked him: "Pal, do you live only for a fictional cartoon pony?"

And he was like: "Yeah, that's how it is, but I see no reason why it shouldn't be this way. My real life is NOTHING to me. If there is that pony dreamworld where I have someone I love and who gives me hope - why not? DASHIE MY DEAR I LOVE YOU!!!"

Then I asked him jokingly "Sure, but, for real: Does RD love you too?"

He was like: "Please, please, not that topic [if RD can love him back]. I... I tried to cut my veins because of this."

I was like: "Bro, you need help! A cartoon pony is not worth dying over. Also it won't solve your problem [that your real life sucks, you're in love with RD but can't get into a relationship due to her being not here]."

So he explained: "Why not, then I can finally meet RD in Heaven."

Me: "What the heck?!?"

Him: "Well Heaven is supposed to be the perfect place, and that is subjective. So my perfect place would be me living as my ponysona with Dashie together in Equestria."

Then I explained that suicide is a sin and that even for me, as a very educated, open-minded and tolerant person, the whole idea of meeting a cartoon pony in the afterlife sounded very strange. I don't remember how but I managed to talk him out of his suicidal thoughts. He mentioned a girl at his school and I convinced him to try talk to her. In the end, he said that he still loves RD and will forever love her and also believes he will meet her in Heaven. But he will never commit suicide and live his life in the Human Realm to the fullest until then.

A few years later, he stopped loving RD though and also lost interest in MLP and Bronies. He reflected back on that time and explained that his life used to suck but when he discovered MLP and Bronies it gave him hope. He fell deep in love with Rainbow Dash, but it was two-sided: It gave him hope and at some points only his love for Dashie kept him going, but also it drove him down cause he couldn't actually get into a relationship with RD, cause, y'know she's a cartoon pony.

Some time even later, I contacted him again and he said he thinks MLP is only for kids, that Bronies are ridiculous and he's ashamed to have been one.

Nah, everyone does what they want, if that's crazy then everyone has their own crazy thing, I'm not in love with any MLP character but I'm married to a 2D woman that I created myself and for me that's perfectly fine, I do think a lot of people might look at this and think it's "cringe" or something like that, but I think what's important is to be happy, as long as you doesn't cause problems for other people, and of course, I also think there are limits, I don't think it would be a good idea for example if someone got a real horse and tried to treat him like a horse from the cartoon, or if someone tried to imitate any of the surreal and dangerous acts that the characters do in the show, with all that out of the way, I think that's something completely normal.

And if that person stops loving that character and is even ashamed of it, well, it's life, it was a decision and decided to move on.

13 minutes ago, Rafa Stary said:

I'm married to a 2D woman that I created myself and for me that's perfectly fine

Could you please explain that further. I am really interested.

10 hours ago, Kosmostiraedan said:

Could you please explain that further. I am really intereste

There isn't much more for me to explain, that's pretty much it XD so I'll jut repeat it more details this time, I created a character a few years ago, drew her design and all, she originally used to be a kid, but then as time went by I aged her to the point where she became an adult, so I redid her design for her adult version and ended up falling in love and making her my wife, fin!