Favourite G5 character so far?

75ponii

Favourite G5 character so far?  

156 users have voted

1. 1. Favourite G5 character so far?

• Sunny Starscout (earth pony mare)
    • Izzy Moonbow (unicorn mare)
    • Pipp (pegasus mare)
    • Hitch Trailblazer (earth pony stallion)
    • Zipp Storm (pegasus mare)

Sunny and Zipp are tied for me! But I love all the New Mane Six! I chose Sunny for the poll because I love her way of looking for the good in everypony and I relate to her a bit more. Too bad no one rarely wants to listen to her even when she's been proven right again and again. I relate to that too. :(

BTW: poll needs a Misty Brightdawn option.

• 2 weeks later...

To update my thoughts, I clearly have to accept that Misty has overtaken Zipp as my favourite G5 pony.  Izzy was my favourite in the movie, but then Zipp became the best IMHO once TYT and MYM started.  Now though, I think Misty has surpassed her as a far as being a dynamic character.  

• Brohoof 1
  • Shocked 1

12 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

To update my thoughts, I clearly have to accept that Misty has overtaken Zipp as my favourite G5 pony.  Izzy was my favourite in the movie, but then Zipp became the best IMHO once TYT and MYM started.  Now though, I think Misty has surpassed her as a far as being a dynamic character.  

Funnily enough, those are my exact thoughts.

I find it interesting how much my ranking of the G5 characters has changed in comparison to G4. With FiM, my ranking stayed pretty consistent from start to finish. With G5 however, my rankings have shuffled around plenty since the movie. For instance, Izzy was my favorite main character from the movie, and now she's down at four. Pipp on the other hand was my least favorite main character from the movie, and now she's managed to get the number three spot. One thing that has stayed consistent is my opinion on Queen Haven. She's a great secondary character in my opinion, and in a ranking including all G5 characters, she'd probably be in second place (just behind Misty). 

• Hugs 1

11 hours ago, Landi said:

Funnily enough, those are my exact thoughts.

I find it interesting how much my ranking of the G5 characters has changed in comparison to G4. With FiM, my ranking stayed pretty consistent from start to finish. With G5 however, my rankings have shuffled around plenty since the movie. For instance, Izzy was my favorite main character from the movie, and now she's down at four. Pipp on the other hand was my least favorite main character from the movie, and now she's managed to get the number three spot. One thing that has stayed consistent is my opinion on Queen Haven. She's a great secondary character in my opinion, and in a ranking including all G5 characters, she'd probably be in second place (just behind Misty). 

Pipp was my least favourite in the movie as well, and she has also shot up to my number three spot.  Technically she was my second favourite until Misty came around.  I think Pipp is still my waifu of the series though, which is odd, since my waifu is usually my favourite character (well, female character at least, but in MLP my favourite character tends to be female).  

As for what I think is the reason why character rankings are more prone to changing in G5, well, it probably has something to do with the majority of the cast being way underdeveloped.  In G4 the mane cast got plenty of character development all along, which helped endear the audience to all of them, and it simply became a matter of picking a favourite from there.  In G5, Zipp got a start of an arc, only for it to be mostly abandoned, though the two pony sisters and their relationship with Queen Haven is probably the closest the series got to fleshing out character relationships prior to Misty.  Otherwise, all of the then Mane Five have yet to receive the kind of development FiM's Mane Six received in the first season alone.  Misty has definitely benefitted from being the focus of the first major arc in the series.  It's highly likely she will be treated just like any other member of the Mane Six going forward, but she has received a full arc, which is more than could be said for the others, so of course she has come along and shaken up character rankings left and right.  

As for why character rankings likely changed after the movie...well, different characters have gotten more focus in the shows than in the movie.  Zipp and Pipp were the most underdeveloped in the movie because they just didn't get as much focus as they should have, but...does the show even care about Sunny, Izzy and Hitch anymore?  

• Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 1

@AlbaTross

Sunny has gotten the least development out of any of the characters in my opinion. I think from a narrative standpoint, having her get alicorn wings before the proper show even started meant there wasn't that much growth that can be done with her. I think Sunny is the least interesting of the characters, because of how poorly she has been written.

• Brohoof 4

11 hours ago, Props Valroa said:

@AlbaTross

Sunny has gotten the least development out of any of the characters in my opinion. I think from a narrative standpoint, having her get alicorn wings before the proper show even started meant there wasn't that much growth that can be done with her. I think Sunny is the least interesting of the characters, because of how poorly she has been written.

I wholeheartedly agree with that assessment.  Also, to this day I couldn't even tell you what she even does for fun.  Tending a smoothie stand is a job, not a personality trait, and while I get that she really enjoys spending time with her friend, she has to have things she enjoys doing when no one is around, and should have personality of her own outside of just being part of her friend group, even though she rooms with them.  Unlike the others, who, besides Misty, all have an annoying switch where they can become insufferable once flipped, Sunny doesn't seem to have that...for the most part.  I mean, one could argue that being portrayed as a Mary-Sue who can save the day in an instant with her Alicorn powers is problematic.  In terms of general personality traits though, she doesn't generally act in an annoying manner. 

However, the problem is, Sunny doesn't generally act in a manner that exudes personality either, because she really doesn't have much of one.  She can be whatever she needs to be for the plot I suppose, and that works sometimes.  Sunny made for a good companion to Zipp in her investigation in that one episode in the latest chapter, for example.  Being a good companion though, doesn't negate the fact that she can't seem to carry much of a narrative on her own, as she almost needs another character to take the lead or at least be present to give her something of relevance to do.  Five minute shorts can work sometimes, but in those cases it's almost always a situation that carries the narrative rather than Sunny herself.  Something like an episode about Pipp's product line feels distinctly Pipp.  Conversely, that episode where Sunny wanted to earn a scout badge feels more like Sunny was just inserted into a random narrative that was drawn out of a hat, and which doesn't feel distinctly Sunny.  Literally anypony could randomly decide to join some pony scout group, and it would have the same effect.  I could even argue that it would probably come across as better if Misty did something like that in an effort to explore life in her new circumstances.  

• Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 1

@AlbaTross

Sunny has no real personality to me other than constantly restating her motivations - which is friendship and getting ponies together. It is not a very interesting trait. I would have liked her to have a hobby of tinkering with things and creating inventions in her spare time. Not like Izzy who makes things out of junk, but proper inventions and tools. I would have chosen Sunny to be a known inventor in Maretime bay, with her Father being her inspiration. Another big complaint I have for G5 is that it does not show anything of the parents of the 5 characters or much, if not anything about their pasts. We do not know who Zipp and Pipp's father is. Evidently, he was the King of the Pegasi and he must have died when Pipp and Zipp were young.

Misty has the best development of the characters. She has a set character motivation, an arc, and a backstory. We do not know who her mother is. Why does this show seem to have an obsession for not having complete families, or at least, knowing what happened to the parental figures? 

• Brohoof 1

21 hours ago, Props Valroa said:

@AlbaTross

Sunny has no real personality to me other than constantly restating her motivations - which is friendship and getting ponies together. It is not a very interesting trait. I would have liked her to have a hobby of tinkering with things and creating inventions in her spare time. Not like Izzy who makes things out of junk, but proper inventions and tools. I would have chosen Sunny to be a known inventor in Maretime bay, with her Father being her inspiration. Another big complaint I have for G5 is that it does not show anything of the parents of the 5 characters or much, if not anything about their pasts. We do not know who Zipp and Pipp's father is. Evidently, he was the King of the Pegasi and he must have died when Pipp and Zipp were young.

Misty has the best development of the characters. She has a set character motivation, an arc, and a backstory. We do not know who her mother is. Why does this show seem to have an obsession for not having complete families, or at least, knowing what happened to the parental figures? 

It would be nice if Sunny had at least something that she was known for, other than "friendship" and her part-time retail job.  I would just like to know what she does for fun on her days off, even when her friends aren't around.  If she's supposed to be G5's take on Twilight, she's a pretty terrible one, as Twilight was never just "friendship".  Twilight had to have a mini-arc at the start of the show where she came around to friendship, but first and foremost she's a dedicated academic and bookaholic with more than her share of OCD, who enjoys reading and learning at every opportunity she gets, and initially being new to the whole friendship thing also meant she had a lot to learn about the ins and outs of having friends.  Sunny simply doesn't have either the personality or development to sustain much in the way of stories about her, let alone match what Twilight was.  If anything, Hitch is a better homage to Twilight than Sunny is.  I have my issues with him too, as well as Izzy, but that's its own discussion.

Zipp instantly replaced Sunny as the lead character in my eyes once the show started because she not only received the beginning of an arc with the whole not being ready to take the throne and wanting to explore friendship thing, but she's also the only one who seems to care when signs crop up of plot-related things and/or things that threaten the magic of Equestria, and nopony else, including the alleged mane pony, or even the town sheriff, seem to care until the consequences actually start to manifest.  Plus, Zipp is just a far more interesting character than Sunny.  

Misty has since replaced Zipp as the lead pony, because she has not only had a full arc and development that eclipses what even Zipp received, but she is shaping up to be exactly what Sunny should have been; a Sunny 2.0 that's better in every way, shape and form if you ask me.  Misty is in a position to explore what it means to have friends, and find her place in the place and circumstances she now finds herself in, and is a much more interesting character to boot.  It's understandable too if she doesn't have a ton in the way of established hobbies and needs to try things, as she has been cooped up in a castle for a good portion of her life.  

As for the dead parent thing, I think that's a case of the shows and movie falling back on tropes as a shortcut for storytelling.  In G5's defence, FiM had an ambiguous parent situation too for some of the Mane Six and CMCs, with many cases not being explored until much later in the series.  However, with G5 focusing a lot more on family dynamics, it does seem a lot more glaring that there are a lot of dead parents, or unconfirmed parents in Izzy's case.  

• Brohoof 1

@AlbaTross

Sunny fails to be a leader in my view, and I am very firm on that belief for me. Some may think I am very harsh on Sunny, but, I think I have every right to be considering how much development the other characters have had. I wish that Zipp was the lead character instead of Sunny because she shows true leadership in taking initiative and noticing things before others do whereas Sunny seems entirely oblivious to her surroundings. Sunny not only is oblivious, she seems very gullible to me as well.

Misty is what Sunny should have been - a barely developed character with room to grow, instead of an alicorn right off the bat and there not being much else to her. It would make a lot more sense to me if Sunny started out in the show / movie without much sureness in the world, or much leeway, leading her to struggle and adapt with her situation - thus growing stronger from it. 

Hitch and Izzy seem relatively okay to me, much better than Sunny - I can tell you that. I like Izzy, though - she is probably a good favorite of mine. Pipp and Zipp I really like, as well. 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Props Valroa said:

@AlbaTross

Sunny fails to be a leader in my view, and I am very firm on that belief for me. Some may think I am very harsh on Sunny, but, I think I have every right to be considering how much development the other characters have had. I wish that Zipp was the lead character instead of Sunny because she shows true leadership in taking initiative and noticing things before others do whereas Sunny seems entirely oblivious to her surroundings. Sunny not only is oblivious, she seems very gullible to me as well.

Misty is what Sunny should have been - a barely developed character with room to grow, instead of an alicorn right off the bat and there not being much else to her. It would make a lot more sense to me if Sunny started out in the show / movie without much sureness in the world, or much leeway, leading her to struggle and adapt with her situation - thus growing stronger from it. 

Hitch and Izzy seem relatively okay to me, much better than Sunny - I can tell you that. I like Izzy, though - she is probably a good favorite of mine. Pipp and Zipp I really like, as well. 

I fear you are right, Sunny has shown to be the weakest character wise. Zipp feel like the central character at times since she’s the only one who has been focused in uncovering the threat Equestria faces, and she has been more active in moving the plot. Sunny seems to fall in to the generic vanilla protagonist trope :sunny: 

• Hugs 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...