How powerful will the villains get?

NinjaFlutterbat

In Twilight's Kingdom we had a fight scene with Tirek where they both wielded kamehamehas and all that other Dragon Ball Z stuff. This is a huge step up from Nightmare Moon who literally just stood there and monologued while Twilight figured out how to defeat her.

Then we had Discord who wanted to turn the world into chaos, and actually started to make some progress but completely underestimated the Elements of Harmony.

Then we had Queen Chrysalis who while wasn't very original with her attempt for world domination (I haven't watched A Canterlot Wedding in a long time, plz don't sue me if I'm wrong), managed to actually defeat Princess Celestia in a battle and her army stopped the Mane 6 from retrieving the OP elements of harmony (volvo plz nerf) thus knowing of their power.

While King Sombra's a really shallow character, he does not monologue, uses dark magic and sticks to his priorities. His only goal is to steal the crystal heart, nothing more. Also, did they actually KILL Sombra in the end? We saw him literally blow to bits, so he might well have died.

Tirek literally sucked the power out of all the ponies, the spirit of Chaos it's self and 4 alicorns, and tricked Discord to betray the Mane 6, thus upsetting Fluttershy (now that is truly evil), followed by a Dragon Ball Z style battle and the even more OP rainbow power to defeat him (-No random critical hits).

So God knows how ridiculously OP the villains get in future, next thing you know, they'll be battling in outer space with power levels over 9,000,000,000 and even the power of friendship struggling to cope and casually blowing up entire planets like it was nothing.

Edited by NinjaFlutterbat
  • Brohoof 1

I like the way discord acts as a villain, he does not try to steal magic, to steal power, to steal a land/country, he takes over the world and he does not fight everypony, in fact, he makes the world chaotic and that's the only way he demonstrates his power, not through epic battles. He shows that you can be a true villain without using raw power against your ennemies.

I hope we will see more villains acting like him instead of simply fighting the whole time.

Edited by ConcorDisparate

untitled_drawing_by_pucksterv-d8sr5ys.pn

Signature made by Pucksterv

I like the way discord acts as a villain, he does not try to steal magic, to steal power, to steal a land/country, he takes over the world and he does not fight everypony, in fact, he makes the world chaotic and that's the only way he demonstrates his power, not through epic battles. He shows that you can be a true villain without using raw power against your ennemies.

I hope we will see more villains acting like him instead of simply fighting the whole time.

You know, there's something about Discord's methids that strikes me as interesting. He never like, imprisons anyone. Think about it, he actually calls out Celestia for turning him to stone because he doesn't ever turn ponies to stone. He doesn't lock them away or force them to do things. I believe Discord, even when evil, has his own set of values that he adheres to. I think he cares about freedom, absolute freedom. He wants a world where everyone does whatever they want, restricted only by their actual ability to do so. Naturally, this puts Discord at the top of the pecking order, which suits him just fine. But he doesn't lock up Celestia or banish her, he just leaves everyone be as long as he's sure they aren't a threat to him. Because to Discord, locking up anyone is immoral. If he'd gotten the chance, he'd probably have railed against Celestia for imprisoning her sister for 1000 years.

Well, that's just my headcanon anyway.

If the writers have any brains at all, they won't bother with powerful villains anymore and instead go with smart villains.

So long as Meghan McCarthy keeps writing the villains, I seriously doubt that's going to happen. Almost every single one of her villains has let their own stupidity defeat them with the exception of Sombra (who was barely a character anyway) and The Dazzlings (who were surprisingly her most competent villains). 

So long as Meghan McCarthy keeps writing the villains, I seriously doubt that's going to happen. Almost every single one of her villains has let their own stupidity defeat them with the exception of Sombra (who was barely a character anyway) and The Dazzlings (who were surprisingly her most competent villains). 

Eh, when you actually look at the Dazzlings' goals and how they plan to achieve them, they're kinda on par with Sunset.

will see this turn into a Sailor Moon season finale one day, with Twilight traveling the galaxy tossing planets and stars at the villain of the year in order to ensure the safety of Equestria. I really can't wait to see what her alicorn power is...

But outside of that, what Dulset Tarn said. A smart villain could make things just as interesting as a powerful one, and too be honest, I am tired of MLP villains being dumb as bricks. Remind me why Tirek didn't crush the Mane Six when he got his last power-up?

Edited by Shimmer5000
  • Brohoof 1

will see this turn into a Sailor Moon season finale one day, with Twilight traveling the galaxy tossing planets and stars at the villain of the year in order to ensure the safety of Equestria. I really can't wait to see what her alicorn power is...

But outside of that, what Dulset Tarn said. A smart villain could make things just as interesting as a powerful one, and too be honest, I am tired of MLP villains being dumb as bricks. Remind me why Tirek didn't crush the Mane Six when he got his last power-up?

That would be anti-climatic, so wouldn't really make a good plot point.

sig-30638.sig-30638.sig-30638.sig-30638.

//// My persona and OC: Candy Star //// Ask me anything: Ask Candy Star //// My Music ////

//// My DA: (OC requests available) ////

I'm sure we'll see extremely powerful and less powerful but no less dangerous villains in the future. I think we hit the peak of the power curve though, I doubt we'll see many villains more powerful than Tirek was at his pinnacle. We might though!

That would be anti-climatic, so wouldn't really make a good plot point.

They could of at least added a chase scene, or the classic "stomp-miss" scene from power rangers.  He completely forgot about them for three minutes to wreck some random part of the forest, and then all of the sudden beelines back for them once they have Rainbow Power. :okiedokielokie:  I love the show, but MLP villains are just dumb sometimes. :blink:

They could of at least added a chase scene, or the classic "stomp-miss" scene from power rangers.  He completely forgot about them for three minutes to wreck some random part of the forest, and then all of the sudden beelines back for them once they have Rainbow Power. :okiedokielokie:  I love the show, but MLP villains are just dumb sometimes. :blink:

Yeah I mean, at the very least he could have gone after Canterlot, or Ponyville, or something like that.

If the writers have any brains at all, they won't bother with powerful villains anymore and instead go with smart villains.

I think with Tirek the show went almost as far as it could in terms of a villain with sheer power. I don't think they can honestly show a villain with more power than TIrek. So I think they might, and should, go the total opposite direction with a Machiavellian type schemer who manages to outsmart the mane 6.

In saying all that I think it would be a real waste of the pony power ups if they were then placed into a situation where they're not the be all and end all, so in that sense they do need at least one really powerful villain to come up against. But, maybe that powerful villain could actually be an udnerling to the true threat, ie. the intelligent villain.

He doesn't lock them away or force them to do things. I believe Discord, even when evil, has his own set of values that he adheres to. I think he cares about freedom, absolute freedom. He wants a world where everyone does whatever they want, restricted only by their actual ability to do so.

Except that he brainwashed all the ponies to be people they weren't.

That's not freedom at all.

Signature_Forums.png.dd2a654d7faa42c09ea06c44865a3c2a.png

Check out my artwork any time: http://shadobabe.deviantart.com/
"OMG; You are such a troll. XD" - PathfinderCS

That's a gray area debatable enough that, knowing Discord, he probably wouldn't consider that forcing anyone to do anything. He just eh, changed them around a bit.

He did remove them from any sort of control; even over their own bodies, in some cases. You could say there's a freedom to that, though whether you'd enjoy is an entirely different issue.

So I think they might, and should, go the total opposite direction with a Machiavellian type schemer who manages to outsmart the mane 6.

That's exactly the type of villain Discord was, and I definitely feel he was the best villain the series has had to date. Unfortunately however, I think McCarthy herself is incapable of writing this type of villain, and so it's not likely we'll see this type again so long as she's still writing the two-parters. 

That's exactly the type of villain Discord was, and I definitely feel he was the best villain the series has had to date. Unfortunately however, I think McCarthy herself is incapable of writing this type of villain, and so it's not likely we'll see this type again so long as she's still writing the two-parters. 

Don't we already know that Larson, who wrote Return of Harmony, is also doing this upcoming premiere?