Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Help with Fanart

Alphys Hedge

I've always loved drawing ponies, but it never turns out like the show. I can only do a pony from a 2-D perspective. When It comes to drawing them looking at you (the face) I can never do a good job. ESPECIALLY when drawing a 3-D body. How exactly would I draw the body, with a pony facing directly at you?

Well, I suck at 3D as well, so I cant really say anything, but they usually don't go into 3D in the show (And if they have, I never noticed) so, I'd try to just practice! Or look at some pony drawing anatomy templates. Don't copy off them, just try to get an idea of how it works.

Well, I suck at 3D as well, so I cant really say anything, but they usually don't go into 3D in the show (And if they have, I never noticed) so, I'd try to just practice! Or look at some pony drawing anatomy templates. Don't copy off them, just try to get an idea of how it works.

When I said 3D, I meant like the ponies face towards you, like this or something:

E1Gij.jpg

By 3D he means just working with perspectives. This is something I have troubles with sometimes too, luckily I have found ponies to be a bit easier to manage. That said, I am afraid I would not be able to explain very well. The only suggestion I could confidently give is the generic, look at an image and try and copy the lines.

However I stress that when I say copy I don't mean try and make it exact, you will drive yourself mad to try to do that. If your first few sketches look bad, redo it over a few times till you get the idea of the shapes you need.

http://imgur.com/cDIfCOw

Here's an example, this is the image I am working on right now. By no means was the image perfect at any step, but I do a lot of cleanup of my lines in post. I numbered them to show what my progression was. I'm not sure if any of my post was much help but I hope it is encouragement at the least.

• Brohoof 1

The FiM style strongly favours a 3/4 View for faces (loses details on the face and puts the mane at a weird angle), evident by the fact that you rarely see a frontal view on the show.

My advice would be to keep the details to a minimum (nostrils and one line to represent the upper edge of the nose). Also keep in mind where the mane would attach to the scalp.

Pic relates; its the only frontview I could find in my backlog.
post-3492-0-44188400-1355692801_thumb.jpg

My advice is to use art tutorials. At DeviantArt, there are many people who've made tutorials on how to draw show-accurate MLP:FiM characters. Also, remember to practice every day. The more you do so, the better your art becomes.