Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Practice of humility in MLP

ManaMinori

Do you think humility is an important lesson to be learned in MLP? Where have you seen humility practiced in previous episodes, and do you think it can be applied in future episodes, also, without being repetitive?

One example of humility that I liked in MLP was Twilight, who, shortly after becoming an alicorn princess, had humbled herself and said that she wasn't better than anypony else. But I feel like that with the additional title and wings and just being an alicorn, other ponies would still see her as superior.

In the Journal of the Two Sisters, Celestia writes how the other ponies knew Alicorns stand for everything Equestria was founded upon: love, harmony, and friendship; and that Alicorns- being a combination of Pegasi, Unicorns, and Earth ponies, would be unbiased in leading them, equally. But she also went on writing that upon being given the option to rule as Princess with Luna, that she wanted her and Luna to think not of the other ponies as their subjects, and themselves not as rulers, but rather, guardians of Equestria's citizens; keeping them peaceful and safe. While that is a rather humble attitude to take, the contradiction lies in Celestia and Luna still allowing themselves to be appointed princesses and taking throne, so other ponies can't help but see them as rulers, and they they subjects.

I think a test of true humility could come in the form of Sunset Shimmer, where- upon returning to Equestria, and being given position under Luna as student, this time around (for them both to learn and grow off one another), Sunny could eventually become an Alicorn, BUT reject the position of becoming princess; as power and desire to rule was what she sought in the past, and it eventually corrupted her, she wouldn't trust herself to be in a position with that much power, and instead be satisfied with what she has- being an Alicorn without the Princess title. Personally, I think that'd be rather refreshing to have an Alicorn without royalties attached, and leave it to Twilight. This would be a true testament to what Celestia claimed; being a guardian rather than a political leader.

• Brohoof 4

I think that would be an interesting idea for Sunny, and I'd like to see it, but I'm pretty sure she won't appear in the series, only in the Equestria Girls movies, so I guess it depends on how much more we're going to see of them  :huh:

• Brohoof 1

There are times I remember seeing scenes like this... I can't remember them all though. I think most had to do with Rainbow Dash, so it's obvious what they were about. Also in a very early episode, Applejack and Rarity both showed flaws in their ways of thinking. Rarity took too long to do things, but did them with grace and didn't get messy during the experience and Applejack did things very well and quick, but got messy from the experience. It shows that with contrast, it's better to not pride yours over the others, but to take (with humility) the other's advice into their actions during certain circumstances. And visa versa.

• Brohoof 1

However strangely the message might have been delivered in "Mysterious Mare Do Well," that episode was intended to be a lesson in humility.

Twilight Sparkle: What we're trying to say is, it's great to be really good at something, but it's important to act with grace and humility.

Rainbow Dash: Ohhhh. That makes loads more sense. Yeah. You're right. And I guess I should've also acted with grace and humility when others outshine me. Like Mare Do Well.

Later, in "Hurricane Fluttershy," Rainbow practices humility when, instead of focusing on Spitfire's praise, she uses it as an opportunity to draw attention to what Fluttershy accomplished.

Spitfire: Nice job, Rainbow Dash. You may not have set a new record, but you showed a lot of guts.

Rainbow Dash: Thanks, but if you wanna talk guts, then you've gotta give it to my number one flyer, Fluttershy! Let's hear it for Fluttershy!

Humility / humbleness isn't a bad thing.  But we've learned, specifically through Rainbow, that there are extremes at both ends of the spectrum.  One of Dashie's strengths and most magnetic personality traits is her self-confidence; it's admirable and infectious.  But we've seen her deal with a sudden lack thereof in "Testing Testing 1 2 3" and "Daring Don't."  It's fine to be humble, but you can't lose sight of your own self-worth in the process.

Edited by Ziggy and Angelbaby
  • Brohoof 6

I can't remember what episode it was when AppleJack was picking lots, and lots of apples, and Twilight asked if she needed help. She was like no I got this till she was so wore out she was falling asleep. So finally she admits that yes she does need help with the picking of the apples. That was a humble experience for AppleJack to have to go though by admiting she needed Twilights help.

I can't remember what episode it was when AppleJack was picking lots, and lots of apples, and Twilight asked if she needed help. She was like no I got this till she was so wore out she was falling asleep. So finally she admits that yes she does need help with the picking of the apples. That was a humble experience for AppleJack to have to go though by admiting she needed Twilights help.

That was a very early episode... I think the 4th I believe.

• Brohoof 1

However strangely the message might have been delivered in "Mysterious Mare Do Well," that episode was intended to be a lesson in humility.

Twilight Sparkle: What we're trying to say is, it's great to be really good at something, but it's important to act with grace and humility.

Rainbow Dash: Ohhhh. That makes loads more sense. Yeah. You're right. And I guess I should've also acted with grace and humility when others outshine me. Like Mare Do Well.

Later, in "Hurricane Fluttershy," Rainbow practices humility when, instead of focusing on Spitfire's praise, she uses it as an opportunity to draw attention to what Fluttershy accomplished.

Spitfire: Nice job, Rainbow Dash. You may not have set a new record, but you showed a lot of guts.

Rainbow Dash: Thanks, but if you wanna talk guts, then you've gotta give it to my number one flyer, Fluttershy! Let's hear it for Fluttershy!

Humility / humbleness isn't a bad thing.  But we've learned, specifically through Rainbow, that there are extremes at both ends of the spectrum.  One of Dashie's strengths and most magnetic personality traits is her self-confidence; it's admirable and infectious.  But we've seen her deal with a sudden lack thereof in "Testing Testing 1 2 3" and "Daring Don't."  It's fine to be humble, but you can't lose sight of your own self-worth in the process.

I preferred "Hurricane Fluttershy"'s nod to RD's practice of humility, over "Mysterious mare Do well", because that episode just- no. I'm not even going to touch that. But in "Hurricane Fluttershy", it was done well, though it hadn't been the central principle of the episode. I feel like because it wasn't, it worked better, in a way.

• Brohoof 1

I preferred "Hurricane Fluttershy"'s nod to RD's practice of humility, over "Mysterious mare Do well", because that episode just- no. I'm not even going to touch that. But in "Hurricane Fluttershy", it was done well, though it hadn't been the central principle of the episode. I feel like because it wasn't, it worked better, in a way.

I've long since made my peace with MMDW. xD  The message might have been confused and even botched, but Dashie somehow learned it regardless.

In life we are constantly being tested beyond our limits, each day brings new challenges. But with each victory, comes a price for it. So yes, i believe humility is a something to be learned if you wish to be a better person.

Edited by Candy Star
  • Brohoof 1

I've long since made my peace with MMDW. xD  The message might have been confused and even botched, but Dashie somehow learned it regardless.

feh. It's easier for some than others, I'm afraid. Though, I am glad she learned that lesson and tries to apply it, even still, when she can, don't get me wrong.

That was a very early episode... I think the 4th I believe.

Apple Buck season, I believe it was

• Brohoof 1

I think a test of true humility could come in the form of Sunset Shimmer, where- upon returning to Equestria, and being given position under Luna as student, this time around (for them both to learn and grow off one another), Sunny could eventually become an Alicorn, BUT reject the position of becoming princess; as power and desire to rule was what she sought in the past, and it eventually corrupted her, she wouldn't trust herself to be in a position with that much power, and instead be satisfied with what she has- being an Alicorn without the Princess title. Personally, I think that'd be rather refreshing to have an Alicorn without royalties attached, and leave it to Twilight. This would be a true testament to what Celestia claimed; being a guardian rather than a political leader.

This is where the secret element of Humility comes from, eh? At least, that's what the rumors are. But yet, I think there should be a sign of such in MLP, but maybe come from Trixie rather than Sunset Shimmer?

This is where the secret element of Humility comes from, eh? At least, that's what the rumors are. But yet, I think there should be a sign of such in MLP, but maybe come from Trixie rather than Sunset Shimmer?

I can't see Trixie becoming an Alicorn, though. I mean, just looking at her job alone, as a stage performer, isn't exactly a humble occupation, since you've got to make yourself seem pretty spectacular and such to get others to look your way. The whole 'great and powerful" thing just comes as a part of the act, so so long as Trixie has that job- likely she always will, it being her special talent and all- she'll never really become an element of humility.

I can't see Trixie becoming an Alicorn, though.

I never said anything about Trixie becoming a princess, much as Trixie fans would fill their beds with tears of joy every night, haha. I can see Sunset being a lot more qualified for the Princess title than Trixie. However, I think the show has already kind of confirmed Sunset for being a secret 7th element.

I never said anything about Trixie becoming a princess, much as Trixie fans would fill their beds with tears of joy every night, haha. I can see Sunset being a lot more qualified for the Princess title than Trixie. However, I think the show has already kind of confirmed Sunset for being a secret 7th element.

ah, you're right. You did, in fact, only mention the possibility of her being given/ representing an element of harmony. That was my bad. I suppose my trying to keep on the topic of Alicorn ascension might've crossed over into that previous post, and made me miss that. Hm.....I don't think I'd have much of a problem with Trix being shown to be another element of Harmony. She's not exactly my favorite character, but don't let that stop her from the possibility of it. But she'd have a very long way to go, I'd think, in terms of changing her attitude further, to even step hoof onto the bath of being given/ representing one, if there was more than 7 EoH's.

• 1 month later...

I'm just going to add, since it just came to mind, that if the writers do ever decide to incorporate Sunny into the series and have her rule with Twilight, which is what they seem to be moving towards, my reaffirmation that she will decline the princess title, because also- what would she really have to do, as a princess? Celestia raises the sun, Luna the moon, Cadance spreads love across the country, and Twilight's going about spreading the good news about the magic of friendship. Nothing really left for Sunny, if she were to become a princess, is there? -shrug-

I'm just going to add, since it just came to mind, that if the writers do ever decide to incorporate Sunny into the series and have her rule with Twilight, which is what they seem to be moving towards, my reaffirmation that she will decline the princess title, because also- what would she really have to do, as a princess? Celestia raises the sun, Luna the moon, Cadance spreads love across the country, and Twilight's going about spreading the good news about the magic of friendship. Nothing really left for Sunny, if she were to become a princess, is there? -shrug-

Dude, do you not even see how brilliantly you answered your first post with this?! Sunset would Bethe princess of humility. And who better to guide her to this title than Princess Luna? And the real deal, as you stared, is that she wouldn't accept the position. It's the very epitome of everything that the princess of humility represents. And here's the thing that just wraps it up so perfectly as a co-princess with Twilight. Sometimes admitting your mistakes can be the first step to creating friendship. Sure, friendship comes easy when elements of loyalty, generosity, honesty, kindness, and laughter are there. But when there is a dispute, showing humility and admitting you were wrong can be the beginning of a friendship. "It takes a bigger person/ pony to admit their mistakes...". Step one; admitting your mistake. Step two; forgiveness. Step three; establishing trust. That's Sunset! Then it goes to Twilight with the friendship and the magic. Humility is macic too.

• 1 month later...

Since it's rumored that the writers are thinking of bringing Sunny into the series, I still have my fingers crossed- even moreso now, that they take this route of humility with her.