Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would a My Little Pony theme park be practical?

TheMarkz0ne

are YOU CRAZY 120MPH like 80MPH is alright but 120MPH

but back on topic yes i would love a theme park but it is not pratical at all

Three words, TOP THRILL DRAGSTER!

In all reality, I could see one of the major park chains licencing MLP for a kiddie land sectioin of the park. Cedar Fair did it with Peanuts, Kennywood had Garfield, Six Flags did Thomas Land, so why not just a land in a major "Amusement" park.

• Brohoof 1

I think it would be cool if they had a Hasbro themed park, with MLP being a section of the park. It would cater to everyone, including bronies. I think It would never happen, but you never know. ;)

HAH OHMYGOD. I thought I was the only person who imagined something like this. :lol:

Seriously, I built a scenario in RCT2 a while back called Friendshipland, themed around... you guessed it, we're on a pony forum after all. I'll dig up some screenshots sometime and show everyone the various parks I've built off that base... was fun theming rides around characters and episodes (Tuesday Morning, Twilightning, Fluttercoaster, The Fear of Flight [not far off the real-world Flight of Fear line of coasters, actually] , Discordian Empire, Dodge Junction Express, Sombra's Revenge, Celestial Reign, Atomic Rainboom, Derpy's Postal Coaster... among other highly unconventional coaster names XD)

In seriousness, I think a pony-themed park for the kids (e.g., target demographic) could theoretically pay off for Hasbro in the long run if location is good, though the initial cash output would be enormous, and the risks would be very high. They would need to build the park around their other franchises too, as ponies alone wouldn't suceed as well as a more balanced approach. A much better option would be to license character rights for use in theming rides to, say, Cedar Fair or Six Flags. They already use all kinds of animation themes, so it wouldn't be too out of place.

Unfortunately, I see the thrill ride and coaster part of the equation as being a very unsuccessful proposition; I would wager that 99% of the general thrill ride junkies and coaster enthusiasts are not bronies, and as tempting as that brand new $20 million B&M hyper is sitting there behind the front gate, very few people would risk ridicule to go on it, since it's painted pink and yellow and is themed after a cartoon pony. Then again, I could be wrong, and even detractors of the show could ride and enjoy it... but no one would spend that kind of money theming really expensive and thrilling rides to our little demographic, as the rest of the public would find it off-putting to say the least. Their loss! ;)

[/incurable roller coaster dork]

In all reality, I could see one of the major park chains licencing MLP for a kiddie land sectioin of the park. Cedar Fair did it with Peanuts, Kennywood had Garfield, Six Flags did Thomas Land, so why not just a land in a major "Amusement" park.

That's what I'm thinking; plus with that Hasbro could compete with Disney and other major studios on that front by having their characters at parks also. Would be much easier to go in with one of the established chains and do licensing.

You wouldn't happen to be on TPR, would you?

Edited by EquusStorm
  • Brohoof 3

@EquusStorm

As a matter of fact, I am a TPR member, as well as a member of the American Coaster Enthusiasts.

Now I'm going to think about being like Rainbow Dash while riding a B&M flyer or Wing Rider.

Edited by Skycoaster (Corkscrew)

@EquusStorm

As a matter of fact, I am a TPR member, as well as a member of the American Coaster Enthusiasts.

Now I'm going to think about being like Rainbow Dash while riding a B&M flyer or Wing Rider.

AWESOME! :D It's amazing how many places I meet people from other sites I'm on haha! Though admittedly I'm not very active there, basically a forums-only participant at the moment, and just joined this forum several hours ago haha. And an ACE membership is definitely in the cards one day, once I can get out more often lol.

Aw man, next time I'm on Wild Eagle at Dollywood I'm totally going to be thinking of Dash and the Wonderbolts when soaring through that Immelman at the far end of the track. XD Thanks for the add btw!

Edited by EquusStorm
  • Brohoof 1

Maybe it could be practical, but not if it was solely a MLP themepark; presumably, Hasbro would contract it out (and own it in large part). Hasbro is a major player in the toys category, but it only has a few million in assets it could use to expand it's operations. and a themepark would tie down most of it's disposable income, and keep it tied down for years. Hasbro would have to find some way of financing it, and a market outside of MLP (because bronies and other MLP viewers alone aren't seen as demographic to Hasbro, let alone one large enough to open a theme park for).

MLP itself isn't large enough to support a theme park (presumably, Disney World in mind?) and, it doesn't have anyone fighting for it, as Disney did for it. Now, the reason I say it's possible is because Hasbro is a major player, and it can look to broaden it's horizons. However, it's only recently made it's TV play with the Hub, and it's ownership might be weary of taking on another major project so soon.

Hasbro definitely could make a play to set up a themepark, but it would be a Hasbro themepark, with all of Hasbro's properties (Monopoly, Transformers, Pound Puppies, ect,) MLP would be one aspect, but not a MLP themepark overall.

Practical yes it would be. it would be interesting to see a MLP themepark. The rides would be cool to see. the sonic rainboom sounds awesome but then there has to be kiddy rides. I say the probabilty of this happening is 10 to 4000 and thats being generous. If it makes money for Hasbro then it would defiantly happen during season 4 and if the show is okayed for more seasons

Isn't that just 1:400? Anyways I don't think a theme park based entirely around MLP would be practical, but if the hub were to  make a theme park for all their shows like disney did, they could implement a my little pony section.

I think that it would be a great idea and I would absolutely go to such a theme park.I think separate rides for children and adults would work since that's basically what Disneyland does and it's probably more successful than every other theme park there is.

Despite being a cute and novel idea, My Little Pony isn't nearly a large enough franchise to merit it's own amusement park. Disney & Universal aside, I can't think of ANY amusement parks that are centered around one specific brand other than Ferrari World.

Despite being a cute and novel idea, My Little Pony isn't nearly a large enough franchise to merit it's own amusement park. Disney & Universal aside, I can't think of ANY amusement parks that are centered around one specific brand other than Ferrari World.

I think it got big enough with over 30  million views for some episodes with all the diff language vids combined.The comic's preorder outsold every single DC and Marvel IP and it's MLP plushies are probably the most produced in the world right now.

I think it got big enough with over 30  million views for some episodes with all the diff language vids combined.The comic's preorder outsold every single DC and Marvel IP and it's MLP plushies are probably the most produced in the world right now.

MLP is popular, yes. But it's not at the point where it could take on ALL of Disney or Universal by itself. Not yet at least. A Hasbro themed theme park is more likely, but then, what kind of rides would that include? My Little Pony? Transformers? *Cringes* Beyblade?

Edited by Twinhead B
  • Brohoof 1

MLP is popular, yes. But it's not at the point where it could take on ALL of Disney or Universal by itself. Not yet at least. A Hasbro themed theme park is more likely, but then, what kind of rides would that include? My Little Pony? Transformers? *Cringes* Beyblade?

I think the best reasoning anyone could come up with for Hasbro to consider branching out into rides, is that they could be able to compete with Disney and Universal on that front as well, wedging themselves into that monopoly (which, ironically, if I recall, the rights to the board game belong to Hasbro LOL) Should they build a park, on their own, using Hasbro characters for theming? No, not at all. What they SHOULD do is team up with a major chain, be it Six Flags, Cedar Fair, or whatever (both of whom, I might add, already have licenses for tons of cartoon characters; notice all the superheroes, classic cartoon characters, and Thomas the Tank Engine themes in Six Flags, and all the characters such as Woodstock at Cedar Fair parks) and license their characters for use in these chains' rides. That's a win-win for BOTH companies, allowing Hasbro effective advertisement on a whole new front, and allowing the chain parks to use another established and popular theme to draw attention to their new rides.

We might even need to bring this to Hasbro's attention, as it does seem a relatively viable business proposal, considering how well-established Hasbro is, even if they're making some shitty executive decisions over a few shows as of late. Is any of this juicy park goodness likely to happen? Nope. But we can dream. It'd be nice to ride a Fluttershy themed B&M Hyper, or a Wonderbolts themed Wingrider, or a Discord-themed Intamin giga - and I would kill to be able to enjoy myself on an Apple Family-themed GCI woodie (sorry, you just can't beat wooden coasters for awesomeness IMO) - but I can guarantee that if Hasbro licensed ponies to parks, they sure as hell wouldn't theme bigger rides after them; they would use it on kids' rides, since despite our periphery demographic being very vocal we're still only a vast minority, and ponies are still considered young girls' toys. Transformers or another more 'male-oriented' property? Yeah, it could happen. But I'd rather have pony themed thrill rides. We can dream. :(

Edited by EquusStorm

Okay, guys. Guys. Wait a second. 

For those of you saying it's impractical-- I have an idea. And we only need like 60 mechanics and physicists/engineers to design rides and stuff, but it could totally work! Instead of a theme park, what about a traveling carnival? That's practical!*

Think about it. If a bunch of people got together and designed a carnival, it wouldn't be huge. The rides would be made of collapsible parts, and it could be booked to appear for a week or two in different towns. These things exist and are legally licensed to make appearances, so they can't be too dangerous!

*practical =/= realistic, lolol

• Brohoof 1

Okay, guys. Guys. Wait a second. 

For those of you saying it's impractical-- I have an idea. And we only need like 60 mechanics and physicists/engineers to design rides and stuff, but it could totally work! Instead of a theme park, what about a traveling carnival? That's practical!*

Think about it. If a bunch of people got together and designed a carnival, it wouldn't be huge. The rides would be made of collapsible parts, and it could be booked to appear for a week or two in different towns. These things exist and are legally licensed to make appearances, so they can't be too dangerous!

*practical =/= realistic, lolol

Sign me up! Now I just need to get aroud to designing my Fluttercoaster and the Discord Drop, and we'll be all set! WATCH OUT WORLD, HERE COMES TOM!

• Brohoof 1

• 11 months later...

Practical?

Who the heck cares about it being practical!?

Think of how cool it'd be! The dashie coaster, AJ's farm.. It'd be amazing.

And think of the shops that'd be in the park! you could buy merch and stuff, it'd be awesome :D

• Brohoof 2

I don't see Hasbro going in the theme park business; more if it happened I could see it attached to another theme park. Am I mistaken in Universal Studio's in Florida has some sort of Transformers show/ride/something. I think if a MLP themed park ever happened it would be in association with an already existing park.

During Generation 3 of My little Pony, Disney had a build a pony in one of the stores at downtown disney. You could buy a MLP and then there were outfits and accessories you could add to your pony that were disney theme. Like cinderella, jazmine, etc. I actually ordered a set of G3 directly from Disney that are dressed as Disney characters. So they did, at least during G3 have some kinda connection

I do know that apparently Animal Kingdom is building on to their park and it's going to be Avatar themed section; I have no clue why Avatar while I liked the movie I just don't see why Avatar would get a whole section at Animal Kingdom. I do remember before Animal Kingdom was built, when it was in the works, the bus driver of one of the disney theme park buses was talking about the upcoming animal kingdom and he said there would be a section of Animal Kingdom devoted to Mythical Animals.

Unfortunately that hasn't happened yet, so I'm hoping that eventually Disney will get around to the fantasy animals and such..I'd prefer that to...avatar. But anyway, maybe hasbro should approach Disney - I could see MLP at disney, it sorta fits in with the theme IMO.

Edited by KarentheUnicorn

• 9 years later...

Well, Hasbro got Galaxyland and swapped it with Hasbro themes, including a couple of G4 pony rides a few years ago, and they also opened a theme park in Mexico (It’s lame, for what I could read :mlp_huh:). I’ve once read one of Hasbro’s current projects to combat the toy crisis, is open theme parks :mlp_huh:. If so, I want some horses around here in Orlando :squee:

• 3 weeks later...

No. Not now and not even when the ponies were at their zenith. I love the ponies but I don’t think a single TV show would generate enough money to justify a theme park. Theme parks are seriously expensive to build and operate and I don’t see enough interest to make it pay. A ride or some smaller attraction within the tapestry of broader themes would be reasonable, but on its own, no. It would be awesome though.

• Hugs 1