Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How Many of You Would Visit China for My Little Pony?

Stancet

In case you didn't know, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is a big deal in China right now with a fan base that is still growing. They now have music, art and conventions of their own and it reminds me of the fandom's early days. 

Personally, I would love to visit a Chinese BronyCon if I can talk with the people there.

• Brohoof 4

i think id probably want to visit china atleast once in my life anyway, but it would be cool to experience it, if only i spoke mandarin

• Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, Props Valroa said:

I wouldn't visit China at all, let alone travel that far for something MLP related. 

aw how come? china has some beautiful sights, zhangjiajie especially

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, taetiseo said:

aw how come? china has some beautiful sights, zhangjiajie especially

I like MLP as much as the next guy, but, I wouldn't be willing to go all the way across the world for it. 

• Brohoof 4

I can't imagine going to another country just for a convention – if I was planning to go anyway for other reasons, sure.

It would also depend on how much English content there was in the convention, as I can't speak Chinese at all. :adorkable:

• Brohoof 3

For the sole purpose of pony stuff? Probably not. But wouldn’t mind visiting China in general and checking out some of the pony stuff along the way. China is such a huge country, tons of culture and history. Plus they have some amazing train infrastructure I believe which would be awesome to check out as an American. Not fond of China’s government but I believe it’s fairly safe for tourists at least.

• Brohoof 5

I would go for things besides ponies, like the sights, the history, the food (that’s safe to eat) and the city life.

• Brohoof 2

I'd visit China if I had a friend who can translate, or a tour guide. I love their languages, as they sound very beautiful to me, and their rich, deep culture is very interesting. 
But I wouldn't go solely for MLP :please: It would be quite rude traveling to another country for one thing like that without learning about the culture and understanding wrong and right etiquette

• Brohoof 2
  • Delighted Giggle 1

Id pass on it. MLP in any place would be fun but China in of itself is not exactly on my list of places to visit. Yes there is a lot of major history there but at the same time let's just say I would not linger there any longer than absolutely needed if I had to go there.

I mean it's not as bad as North Korea you know they won't shoot you because you sneezed near "the leader" but at the same time it's not exactly a country known to play around much.

Id view it like visiting your boyfriend/girlfriend's father/mother in law.

Be friendly, get straight to whatever business you got then you get the Hades outta there lol 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
2 hours ago, shadowmoon Dancer said:

Id pass on it. MLP in any place would be fun but China in of itself is not exactly on my list of places to visit. Yes there is a lot of major history there but at the same time let's just say I would not linger there any longer than absolutely needed if I had to go there.

I mean it's not as bad as North Korea you know they won't shoot you because you sneezed near "the leader" but at the same time it's not exactly a country known to play around much.

Id view it like visiting your boyfriend/girlfriend's father/mother in law.

Be friendly, get straight to whatever business you got then you get the Hades outta there lol 

Agreed. However, it’s very true G4 horses remain big in China, as we can see from spectacular merch, INCLUDING SOME GOLD JEWELRY :Cozy:. Oh well, there are “means” to get those :oh_golly:, but it also makes you wonder how much good merch you miss :scoots:

Edited by Steve Piranha

3 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Agreed. However, it’s very true G4 horses remain big in China, as we can see from spectacular merch, INCLUDING SOME GOLD JEWELRY :Cozy:. Oh well, there are “means” to get those :oh_golly:, but it also makes you wonder how much good merch you miss :scoots:

Don't have any MLP merch so I'm not missing much at the moment.

• Brohoof 1

Nah. I’m sure they have some nice sights to see but I have no desire to visit due to their government and the way they run their country.

• Brohoof 1

On 1/27/2024 at 5:49 AM, Stancet said:

In case you didn't know, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is a big deal in China right now with a fan base that is still growing. They now have music, art and conventions of their own and it reminds me of the fandom's early days. 

Personally, I would love to visit a Chinese BronyCon if I can talk with the people there.

Oh wow! I miss early fandom days! I’m glad they’re getting to experience it! I would only visit China to see good friends like @Lleys@Felis Amafelesand others who would rather remain anonymous. But other than that… hmm.. I couldn’t even speak the language to enjoy it. But it makes me happy to know other countries most certainly are! :coco:

• Brohoof 3
  • Delighted Giggle 1

2 hours ago, Planeswalker Silky said:

Oh wow! I miss early fandom days! I’m glad they’re getting to experience it! I would only visit China to see good friends like @Lleys@Felis Amafelesand others who would rather remain anonymous. But other than that… hmm.. I couldn’t even speak the language to enjoy it. But it makes me happy to know other countries most certainly are!

On 2024-01-27 at 6:49 PM, Stancet said:

It will probably be more fun to visit here when my country gets a little more normal... :kirin:

• Excited 1

(edited)

This may not be the best time to visit Sinae. :fluttershy:
If you come to Sinae for an event, it is best to choose a coastal city south of the Jangzio.

There is a huge difference between the north and south of Sinae. North of the Jangzio has a long tradition of exclusive rule. People worship power and political strongmen.
South of the Jangzio has a long tradition of free trade and people are more open and easy to communicate with.

If you come to the inland areas north of the Jangzio now, you're likely to be confronted by populist middle-aged or elderly men whom will ask you if you're a spy.
If you come to the coastal areas south of the Jangzio now, people will be friendly to foreigners. And because of the unscientific plague-fighting policies of 2019-2022, the economy is now bad and people are very willing to deal and do business with foreigners.

Even so, now Sinenses public security authorities are still wary of foreign travellers. Because since 2012 the Sinenses government is starting to look like it did in 1970...:pip-err:

So, it's best to wait. Wait until Sinae is a bit more normal. :kirin:

Edited by Felis Amafeles
I've changed some words so that the authorities don't accidentally see this and put the forum URL on their blacklist
  • Excited 3

China is far away, travel and visa would be expensive, I doubt many people there speak English (and I do not speak Chinese), so, all in all, it would be a bad experience and not worth the money. Basically, I can spend that pile of money on something better.

• Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 1

58 minutes ago, Felis Amafeles said:

This may not be the best time to visit Sinae. :fluttershy:
If you come to Sinae for an event, it is best to choose a coastal city south of the Jangzio.

There is a huge difference between the north and south of Sinae. North of the Jangzio has a long tradition of exclusive rule. People worship power and political strongmen.
South of the Jangzio has a long tradition of free trade and people are more open and easy to communicate with.

If you come to the inland areas north of the Jangzio now, you're likely to be confronted by populist middle-aged or elderly men whom will ask you if you're a spy.
If you come to the coastal areas south of the Jangzio now, people will be friendly to foreigners. And because of the unscientific plague-fighting policies of 2019-2022, the economy is now bad and people are very willing to deal and do business with foreigners.

Even so, now Sinenses public security authorities are still wary of foreign travellers. Because since 2012 the Sinenses government is starting to look like it did in 1970...:pip-err:

So, it's best to wait. Wait until Sinae is a bit more normal. :kirin:

It sounds like you have a lot of knowledge about China. Have you visited it?

39 minutes ago, Pentium100 said:

China is far away, travel and visa would be expensive, I doubt many people there speak English (and I do not speak Chinese), so, all in all, it would be a bad experience and not worth the money. Basically, I can spend that pile of money on something better.

This post is strictly about ideal circumstances. Of course the government, language and cultural barriers make it difficult but if we could work around those problems would we be interested.

Moments ago, Felis Amafeles said:

I live in China :eager:

I am pleased to meet you. Many people call me crazy because I want to visit someday but that’s what I want, and not just to meet My Little Pony fans.

What time is it there right now? It is 8:15 for me.

4 minutes ago, Stancet said:

I am pleased to meet you. Many people call me crazy because I want to visit someday but that’s what I want, and not just to meet My Little Pony fans.

What time is it there right now? It is 8:15 for me.

It's nice to meet you.
It's 22:17 here

(edited)

I have family from China so I actually visit there occasionally. (Though the last time I did so was in 2019.) However, it is quite far from where I am currently, so I would only attend a con if I was already there for other reasons. That country has great culture, history, and food. Also, as a large country both in terms of land area and population, there are significant regional differences in terms of culture. 

32 minutes ago, Stancet said:

It sounds like you have a lot of knowledge about China. Have you visited it?

I visited Guangzhou & Shenzhen. I think that they are both very large modern cosmopolitan cities in Southern China with lots of great food, culture, and attractions to learn about.

Edited by Skylight Scintillate
  • Brohoof 2
  • Delighted Giggle 1