Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ocs without back story's

Queen_Tia

I don't see a problem with an OC not having a back story. All it means is that the creator doesn't want to dig that deep either because they just don't want to or because they are lazy.

• Brohoof 1

I thought a backstory was one of the prerequisites for a three dimensional character. It's the explanation for what made them the way they are.

Edited by SpaceOnion
  • Brohoof 1

Well, it depends on the creator and what they have in store for that character. Personally I love backstories and I've built my four character with backstories.

However some people may just want to create a character for show; with about the backstory. I prefer a backstory, but it's not a big requirement for me. :)

Also, @Queen_Tia, I have moved your topic to Sugarcube Corner as it doesn't deal with the show itself.

• Brohoof 2

@@Queen_Tia,

Completely agreed. It doesn't need to be an epic but some indicator that they didn't just pop into existence the moment they need to be there. That's what separates a character from a plot device.

I don't know why they should, background ponies don't. They're still awesome.

If you create something good-looking and don't want to commit to writing a back-story ruining the whole thing, it's okay.

Not off the bat no, but the fandom quickly fixes that. Is Lyra less interesting now that the fandom has given her numerous interpretations of where she lives, what she does, and what she's interested in?

I prefer the simple versions, nothing complicated.

But simple does not mean "incomplete" nor does a backstory mean a character can't be simple or have a simple backstory. Twilight doesn't have a complex backstory, it's done by the first act of the first episode.

"She lived in Canterlot, focused on her studies instead of making friends," bam, done!

Edited by Steel Accord

Not off the bat no, but the fandom quickly fixes that. Is Lyra less interesting now that the fandom has given her numerous interpretations of where she lives, what she does, and what she's interested in?

Never said that wasn't the case. Of course, the point of not having a back-story is precisely because it makes possible to create one. You don't have to rush things only because you want your OC to have one.

Edited by ConcorDisparate

Never said that wasn't the case. Of course, the point of not having a back-story is precisely because it makes possible to create one. You don't have to rush things only because you want your OC to have one.

True, less is more sometimes. Still though what makes a character interesting isn't not having a backstory it's not knowing their backstory. There's a big difference.

For instance, Boba Fett in the original Star Wars. He looked cool, acted cool, and no one knew what his deal was. He was interesting because people could ask questions about him. The Joker in The Dark Knight is similar, particularly because HE keeps changing his backstory!

See though, neither of these characters spontaneously appeared into existence. They have a past, even if we don't see it.

When applying this to OCs, the idea is that not having a detailed backstory is okay because it allows for some mystery to the character, having absolutely no past and therefore no thought put into them is not, because then the character really isn't a character.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

My main OC's "Official" backstory is pretty nonexistent, mainly cause I kinda of like it that way. She just doesn't care to talk about it, or maybe she doesn't even know it herself. It adds a layer of mystery there, which I think is pretty fun.

Though a lot of RP's I've used her in have given her some form of one anyway, but I like her being mysterious.

• Brohoof 1

Wait what? :wau: But it's such a great opportunity to tell a wonderful story!(well... potentially :please:)

See to my post above your own. No backstory is not the same thing as no past, but that still requires consistency.

See to my post above your own. No backstory is not the same thing as no past, but that still requires consistency.

I understand what you're getting at. One of my own characters is like this.

• Brohoof 1

I understand what you're getting at. One of my own characters is like this.

Not really related and I appreciate you reading my post but I just got to say, you're signature is the moment why Captain America is my favorite all time superhero.

• Brohoof 1

I think the only OC's that should not have a backstory are those that are not fully grown. It's hard to come up with a biography for a baby or a young child whose character as barely developed.

• Brohoof 1

I think the only OC's that should not have a backstory are those that are not fully grown. It's hard to come up with a biography for a baby or a young child whose character as barely developed.

Yeah it's hard to do that for a baby pony :P

• Brohoof 2

At least a short back story would be a plus but I don't think it is mandatory.

Heck, we still don't know much about some of the mane 6's back stories. Namely the two pegasi.  

One pegasus, you mean. But let's say Fluttershy's backstory hasn't been explained, that wouldn't mean it's non-existent. Only the show staff know what everyone's backstory is.

Edited by SpaceOnion
  • Brohoof 1

One pegasus, you mean. But even if Fluttershy's backstory hasn't been explained, that doesn't mean it's non-existent. Only the show staff know what everyone's backstory is.

Even then, we know she's originally from Cloudsdale, fell to the surface and discovered her cutie mark, and was mocked mercilessly as a child.

That wouldn't even take up a paragraph with the most detailed description unless it was the actual script, but it lends us all we need to know about Fluttershy's past and even alludes to her demeanor as an adult.

i think giving them a backstory definitely helps. even if i dont give them one right away, im able to develop it as i go. im good at thinking on the fly.

Certainly, it's unfair to expect a character to be fully fleshed out at their inception. Steel over in that avatar box went through eight or something iterations before appearing as he does now.