Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should RD face any consequences for her actions in ep 5?

silvadel

You are under arrest Rainbow Dash for malicious mischief, destruction of property, pony endangerment, criminal tresspass  

79 users have voted

1. 1. RD should have to do ____ to pay for her misdeeds...

• Nothing -- this is cartoon mischief and she is connected.
    • 100 bits and some community service.
    • 1,000 bits, a job suspension, working on fixing the mess for the next couple weeks
    • She gets to spend the winter in cloudsdale as a resident of Canterlot's finest prison.
    • worse

I think she should, but then again I feel like her relieving all that emotional baggage in front of her friends and having to give up Tank meant she learned her lesson.

Yes, this was the most reckless and stupid thing Rainbow Dash has ever done and I am saying this as someone who actually likes Rainbow Dash. I am going to have to go with the 3rd option. 

Ditto.  I love RD, but honestly, I think it regressed her character to take the saboteur thing so far.  I want to see her be professional and actually do her job for once.  Rarity is professional and does her job all the time.  I want the same from Rainbow.  I was displeased by her actions in this episode.  1,000 bit fine, suspended without pay until she completely fixes the factory.  That should be her punishment.  (Irl, though, she would be terminated immediately, obviously.)

She had no intention of causing such madness, she just wanted a simple, albeit even stupid friendship problem. And her punishment was the following scene were Celestia spoke her name, bright light flashed, everything was solved, and Twilight thought Celestia was gonna scold her to kingdom come, she felt remorse, then her friends stepped in to apologize for her and Celestia din't go so hard on her. Fitting punishment? Maybe, maybe not.

While Twi didn't anticipate things getting that out of hand, she deliberately created a problem that ultimately required the intervention of a princess to resolve.  Actually, considering that Rainbow's efforts to stop winter failed (and resulted in winter coming in a big way), Twi had more success in creating a lasting problem.  Looking at intentions: It's possible to do the wrong thing for an understandable reason.  Twi's reason was an irrational fear of going back to magic kindergarten for being "TAAAARRRRDDDDYYY."  I relate more to Rainbow's fear of "losing" a close friend.  And Twi's "punishment" was that her friends took the blame for her actions and convinced Celestia not to punish her.  And then...  Her friends also had to write letters of their own.  I wish that's how things worked on this side of the universe.  "We didn't realize Ziggy was serious about committing eleven acts of homicide; please don't send him to prison.  This is our fault."  Granted, I didn't care that she didn't receive punishment or get bused back to MK.  I thought it was kinda nice that her friends gave enough of a shit about her to defend her; whatever her actions / intentions may have been.

You can't blame Spike for being ignorant to what some random spell book does, he's not the first person i think of when i figure someone well versed in magic/spell books. He figured it was just a simple spell book to help Rarity, he had no idea it would inadvertently possess her, and turn her into one of the most op beings ever conceived by Gen4.

This moment:

"What, on-going pun in owl form?  You don't think I should have this book, covered with spikes, sealed away in a secret room, at the top of a crumbling staircase?"  Though I was talking about Rarity's actions.  There was always still something of Rarity present following the "possession."  She had tunnel vision-esque intentions: Spreading fabulousness throughout Ponyville; regardless of how it actually affected others.  It's not as though she suddenly became somepony else entirely and wanted to overthrow the royals and reduce everything in Equestria to ash.  Her actions, when granted a ridiculous amount of power, were consistent with the pony she is.  Spike saw no punishment and Rarity saw no punishment.  Again...  So what?  This is how the show doles out punishment to the Mane Six: It doesn't.

He can't be held responsible for his Dragon instincts, which he clearly couldn't control until the last second when he became conscious of what he had most likely become, and thus reverting to his normal size. It's like blaming a cat for having claws. He did however, acknowledge the damage he did. :maud:

Spike was responsible for his actions, because he's the one who committed them.  He wasn't under the influence of anything other than his own physiology.  What about other dragons?  The a-hole teens that were hellbent on smashing Phoenix eggs? xD  Are they not responsible for their actions?  Because a-hole dragon instincts.  He wasn't in complete control at the time, but was Rainbow?  It was an extraordinarily, uncharacteristically emotional episode for her.  If you can confidently say that she wasn't influenced by emotion or acting irrationally, I'll digress.  But in spite of her Grinchy smile...  How thoroughly planned and reasoned out were her actions, really?  Also, again, taking into account how completely they backfired.

My point is Rainbow indented to do what she did, and din't give a flying fuck about the repercussions. Hell, it was even in her song. I know it's wrong, but what does it matter? 'Cause nothing's gonna stop me now I'll change it all, it's only the weather And nopony's gonna bring me down Not only does she understand that it's wrong, but she doesn't even care. And what makes this ever more odd is that she only thinks 'hey it's just weather', this is weird for a pagasus who should understand the impact of weather, especially when shes the one who was leading the team to make sure winter came around the year before in Winter Wrapup.

There's a contradiction present in the song; you pointed it out.  She "knows it's wrong," but doesn't seem to appreciate the magnitude of her actions.  Further evidence as to her emotional state.  She did say that she'd, "Hate to do this to those weather ponies, but desperate times call for desperate measures."  Most of us have encountered a situation where we felt we were somehow justified in what we were doing, or that our actions somehow served a greater purpose.  Even if, from the perspective of others, we were wrong.

Do i really only have those two options? Because i seriously dislike option 2.

Nope, you don't have to. xD  Just trying to put things into perspective while pointing out how big of a deal this fandom makes over everything the ponies do.  They don't just watch and appreciate the show.  They sit in judgment.  Because...  WHY?  Do I not get it?  Does this somehow enhance the viewing experience?  The GoT fandom essentially forgave that character I mentioned for the attempted murder of a child.  The FIM fandom sometimes condemns colorful, world-saving ponies for something as relatively minor as making another pony cry.

I'm on Rainbow's side.  Always.  I'm not saying that her actions were justified, but I understand the motivation behind them.  Considering that this is the same pony who broke into a hospital to steal a book rather than admitting she liked to read, you can't have expected small potatoes from an especially emotional Rainbow.  And everyone, to some degree, has been or will be guilty of the tunnel-vision-triggering favoritism she demonstrated in this episode.  I would stick my neck out for someone I loved even if it might be detrimental to someone I didn't love.  I'm also willing to make mistakes - and look like an ass on occasion - if I was motivated by something that I felt mattered.  Convince me that Rainbow doesn't care about Tank, and everything I've said will fall apart.

With all due respect and appreciation of your friendship.

Edited by Ziggy and Angelbaby
  • Brohoof 1

Slapstick comedy at its finest; give her a slap on the hoof and lets watch her destroy the next piece of government property for the lulz

Edited by pony.colin
  • Brohoof 1

Twi's reason was an irrational fear of going back to magic kindergarten for being "TAAAARRRRDDDDYYY."  I relate more to Rainbow's fear of "losing" a close friend. 

Rainbow isn't "losing" anyone, i hardly doubt losing a friend for 3 months to allow them to fucking go through the natural cycles they need to is considered a loss in the way her actions would lead me to believe.  :maud:

"What, on-going pun in owl form?  You don't think I should have this book, covered with spikes, sealed away in a secret room, at the top of a crumbling staircase?"  Though I was talking about Rarity's actions.  There was always still something of Rarity present following the "possession."  She had tunnel vision-esque intentions: Spreading fabulousness throughout Ponyville; regardless of how it actually affected others.  It's not as though she suddenly became somepony else entirely and wanted to overthrow the royals and reduce everything in Equestria to ash.  Her actions, when granted a ridiculous amount of power, were consistent with the pony she is.  Spike saw no punishment and Rarity saw no punishment.  Again...  So what?  This is how the show doles out punishment to the Mane Six: It doesn't.

We have no idea of truly knowing whether or not her mind was being affected the second she cast the spell or not, hell, the first few seconds after which, her eyes glowed green.  :maud:

Spike was responsible for his actions, because he's the one who committed them.  He wasn't under the influence of anything other than his own physiology.

It was his dragon instinct. Why do you think he was driven to keep collecting crap? It's clear he rather have no been doing what he did in the end.  :maud:

What about other dragons?  The a-hole teens that were hellbent on smashing Phoenix eggs? xD  Are they not responsible for their actions?  Because a-hole dragon instincts.

Dragons aren't show in the best light outside of Spike, and honestly, just like a lion killing it's prey, they may be driven to do such things unfortunately. Who knows. :maud:

He wasn't in complete control at the time, but was Rainbow? 

lol yes, yes, she was. Enough to fucking sing about it. :maud:

If you can confidently say that she wasn't influenced by emotion or acting irrationally, I'll digress.

Oh she clearly was influenced, and certainly acting irrational. :maud:

There's a contradiction present in the song; you pointed it out.  She "knows it's wrong," but doesn't seem to appreciate the magnitude of her actions.  Further evidence as to her emotional state.  She did say that she'd, "Hate to do this to those weather ponies, but desperate times call for desperate measures."  Most of us have encountered a situation where we felt we were somehow justified in what we were doing, or that our actions somehow served a greater purpose.  Even if, from the perspective of others, we were wrong.  

This somehow makes it better? She should know better as a damn pegasus stopping winter is ridiculous, and could possibly serious harm to the land, and creatures of Ponyville. :maud:

Convince me that Rainbow doesn't care about Tank, and everything I've said will fall apart.

Well, if she cared so much about Tank, perhaps she should've perhaps understood he needed to hibernate, not be in denial that he was sleepy because hibernation time, and not hatch a whacky plan to try to keep him from hibernation--and im no animal expert, but that might have done him harm.. :maud:

With all due respect and appreciation of your friendship.

And with all due respect and appreciation of your friendship, and to prevent us from just going back n' forth due to one of us clearly loving this episode, and the other clearly despising it..

40O7PPU.gif

• Brohoof 2

@@Pinkamena-Pills, I agree with you, i'm like Rainbow Dash, but in this episode she maded a really messy in cloudsdale and in PonyVille, is like you Private your friend of made one thing him need...

@, Look, Is like private Rainbow of Fly, is like Private a Unicorn of Use magic or Private a Earthpony a construct....

Rainbow isnt one problem, but her Loyalt pass the limits of idiot in this episode...And this is my opinion and dont will change this..., Look all made mistakes and we need live with them...Rainbow get close of made a real mistake...Is like Twilight maded before i agree with u...

Well i dont want post nothing big, is just my opinion...

PS: This episode is amazing because them show the real Rainbow Factory destroying the Fanfict in my see is idiot...

No one need stay angry with her 

• Brohoof 1

She went out of her way to cause damage (and caused far more in the process)... I think she SHOULD have to face SOME punishment because at least a small part of the big damage was premeditated and intentional. Quite selfish, too, which doesn't help.

I mean I felt BAD for her, I sorta wanted to cry with the four ponies but she probably hurt the (agriculture) economy and environment pretty badly by bringing winter on that early.

She went out of her way to cause damage (and caused far more in the process)... I think she SHOULD have to face SOME punishment because at least a small part of the big damage was premeditated and intentional. Quite selfish, too, which doesn't help.

I mean I felt BAD for her, I sorta wanted to cry with the four ponies but she probably hurt the (agriculture) economy and environment pretty badly by bringing winter on that early.

Many times the mane 6 have done things just as bad in the past and either got a slap on the wrist or got no consequence. This is the result of 

A:The legal system in Equestria can be really forgiving 

or

B: it's a fucking cartoon

I'm curious about Equestria's economy because Ponyville has been destroyed on multiple occasions; it must be an economic drain (unless perhaps it was purely repaired by magic and not actually requiring other manpower and materials).

I don't know how Equestria works, but of course if it were our world Rainbow Dash would face severe consequences for intentionally sabotaging infrastructure regardless of her emotional state.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna

Rainbow brought on winter so fast, that the weather ponies may actually thank her for the time off. Since their machinery is powered by magic, I'm sure repairs won't be too difficult or time consuming. Besides, she's friends with the Princess of Friendship, and was instrumental in saving the whole of Equestria multiple times. I'm sure she won't be in trouble. 

• Brohoof 1

In response to that AB consequences comment...:

We do have to consider that we get to view about one to two months worth of Equestrian days for something like every YEAR that passes in Equestria. (I know my math is way off, but you get the magnitude.)

We wouldn't know how much MORE goes on beyond the narrow slice we're given with which to peer into their world. Maybe punishments HAPPEN. Maybe it's a cartoon.

• Brohoof 1

I'm curious about Equestria's economy because Ponyville has been destroyed on multiple occasions; it must be an economic drain (unless perhaps it was purely repaired by magic and not actually requiring other manpower and materials).

I don't know how Equestria works, but of course if it were our world Rainbow Dash would face severe consequences for intentionally sabotaging infrastructure regardless of her emotional state.

But I suspect that rarity and Twilight keep the money coming in steadily- Rarity with her high end Caterlot clients who she makes dressed for, and Twilight, with all her funds from the princess

But I suspect that rarity and Twilight keep the money coming in steadily- Rarity with her high end Caterlot clients who she makes dressed for, and Twilight, with all her funds from the princess

Don't forget. Evidence points to Twilight being wealthy even before she became a princess. Her family lives in Canterlot. Her parents enrolled her in a VERY exclusive school. She was even foal-sat by an actual real live princess! Not to mention her brother was able to enter the Academy and become a royal palace guard. That all smacks of serious money and position.

I'm sure with the way that Equestria is bound together, no city or town is gonna let another's economy fail. They depend too much on each other economically: Travel, fashion, entertainment, agrictulture, friggin weather... Round the money goes

Lol I think I'm a bit off-topic

Don't forget. Evidence points to Twilight being wealthy even before she became a princess. Her family lives in Canterlot. Her parents enrolled her in a VERY exclusive school. She was even foal-sat by an actual real live princess! Not to mention her brother was able to enter the Academy and become a royal palace guard. That all smacks of serious money and position.

Must be extremely wealthy if essentially repurchasing the entire city on multiple occasions after total or near total destruction is considered affordable.

• Brohoof 1

I think Rainbow Dash should be punished to the full extent of the law! 6,000 bit fine, pay for all the damages, 10 years of Community Service, 6 years of imprisonment or at least house arrest, mandatory therapy and anger management, temporary if not permanent banishment/exile from Cloudsdale, job suspension if not completely fired, mandatory re-attendance of school biology and life science, and fully pay the medical bills of any injured.

All she needs is her status as a national hero who's saved them all multiple times and she gets a free pass. 

Way to overreact though. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Those are all a bit too realistic don't you think? Honestly if anything, her job is in trouble... as well as her training to be a wonderbolt...

Actually I think she would treat getting a note from the wonderbolts saying that they could not accept a pony who had wrecked the weather factory as one of their number ever, as far worse than having to spend a winter in prison.  Getting a second note of dismissal from the weather service saying that she was dismissed for her actions would be the green icing on the horrible cake. 

At that point her friends would have to watch her closely to make sure she didn't do anything rash.

Edited by silvadel
  • Brohoof 1

If I was a judge, I would sentence her to 15 years in a maximum security prison, and give her a lifetime restriction order from Cloudsdale.

And if her lawyer wanted to argue emotional instability, I would have her evaluated by psychiatrists, and if necessary have them perform a prefrontal lobotomy on her.

She seems to have done more damage here than most villains manage to do.  Should she face any repercussions for her actions?

They didn't catch her so unless she turns herself in, it won't happen. I think she did it for the right reasons and didn't really do any damage that we were able to see. If she destroyed those machines then I guess it would be a bad thing but I guess...oh well? :confused:

If I was a judge, I would sentence her to 15 years in a maximum security prison, and give her a lifetime restriction order from Cloudsdale.

And if I was Twilight, as princess, I would pardon her immediately.

And if her lawyer wanted to argue emotional instability, I would have her evaluated by psychiatrists, and if necessary have them perform a prefrontal lobotomy on her.

If it were me in charge of punishing her, and she just explained to me in detail everything she did, I'd laugh uproariously, declare her "Prankster of the Year", give her a big brohoof, a check for a million bits and tell her to get the heck out of my courtroom. And maybe even try to get her number. B)  

Edited by veryoriginalponyname

Lobotomies are cruel and their effectiveness has been thoroughly debunked, I do agree with the psychiatric evaluation though as we have all had situations where we have gone off the deep end most people or ponies in this case don't let it get to the point where they could very easily have seriously harmed or even killed someone.

• Brohoof 1

Lobotomies are cruel and their effectiveness has been thoroughly debunked

I know, but it's probably the most advanced psychiatric treatment they have in Equestria. Plus, it would serve her right even if it caused negative psychological effects, think of it as extra retribution. Edited by WriteCodes46

A lot of you sound VINDICTIVE in your punishments. 1000 bits and community service is enough. She doesnt need to go to some maximum security prison or be turned into stone. What the BUCK is WRONG with you?

Edited by Cobalt-Willow
  • Brohoof 2

Something has to happen because think of how long it will take them to get the weather factory up and running again. You know what would be odd? If this whole thing plays a role in the next villain. Might not happen but it's a thought.