Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you like to see an action-based My Little Pony show?

The Coffee Pony

Today I was having a discussion about animated shows with some of my buddies and it kind of made me think about this. So, I have to ask would you like to see an action-based My Little Pony show.

Now you've pretty much seen my thoughts regarding FiM and change. I like the show the way it is and I don't like to see drastic re-tools of a show during its run. So, yeah I'm talking about this concept for a future generation of MLP.

I'm kind of on the fence about this. On the one hand I do like the slice of life format but on the other I think it would be interesting but it all depends on how it's done. I've seen fan-projects like Fall of the Crystal Empire and really I don't think something like that would translate well as a series. I really do have a tough imagining My Little Pony as this super serious action-based show along the lines of Transformers Prime, Batman The Animated Series, Batman Beyond or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles '03.

I can see it being more like G1's format, in which the Ponies constantly had to deal with monsters like Tirek, The Smooze, Witches and other things along those lines combined with the overall writing style of Friendship is Magic's seasons premier. Serious and with high stakes but at the same time humorous and fun. Or you can have it in the style of Powerpuff Girls which is both very funny and action based.

I think those are a couple of ways of how it can work. I just can't imagine a dark and edgy My Little Pony series with very mild comic relief. That sounds like it would just work as spectacularly as Shadow the Hedgehog for the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox.

• Brohoof 1

Sure.  Absolutely.  I like slice of life, too, but I'd love to see a more action based show as well.  I firmly believe that FIM could even pull off really dark and serious stuff, y'know, if they wanted to.  I mean, my fantasy is just to have an MLP version of practically every show and movie ever made.

I like having slice of life, but I would LOVE more magical girl adventure style episodes, or ones like Power ponies.
This is actually what attracted me to the comics when they first started was the promise of more adventure oriented plotlines. This has somewhat soured as of late, but I don't want to get into a debate about that.

of course, this runs into issues at the moment of having all the mane six in an adventure scenario, due to them not really being able to meaningfully contribute. While Fluttershy can always be helpful for animal related situations or whatnot, and pinkie would be there mainly as the comic relief character in adventure scenarios, when push comes to shove, the others are currently DRASTICALLY below Twilight's weight class when it comes to having to fight (look at the Cattle rustlers arc for example where the other five basically got the crap kicked out of them with impunity by the bulls but Twilight flicked her hooves and defeated them in seconds).

In order to reliably have more action in the show, you'd need to find a way to make the other 5 essentially powered up in some way like the power ponies episode, or exclude Twilight from the equation (like how AJ vs. the chimera was just her alone). I mean, lets look at the 2 parter adventure ones: The other 5 remain useful by essentially making themselves walking macguffins in that they summon the deus ex machina rainbow at the end, not really a very "action" focused type situation.

Now, its not really impossible to due something like that: Look at the Equestria girls universe for example where it seems all of them can throw random magical attacks that look like their cutie marks at people. But its still a big, BIG obstacle in the path of doing more action scenarios with all of the mane six present.

(edited)

I would love to see an action based my little pony (since I am a fan of Dragon ball Z).

Edited by Omar_25

Hmmm, interestin, but I think it's too late to go to the extreme at this rate. An action oriented plot as described every two or three episodes could work though

Why not have more action in the current show itself? A little more lasers and explosions would be a nice start. Maybe show the Equestrian Royal Guards and Wonderbolts in some good old military action? Big battle scenes like the one where the changelings attacked Canterlot.

However, keep it all within a limit though and find a way to make it all look not so violent or else it can't come on the show.

But not only action, some adventure and mystery would be great too.

Yes totally! Although if the mane six grew older will good as well... Did the show ever mentioned their age?

(edited)

Note: I was talking about another generation after FiM was finished. So the Mane 6 probably won't be the main protagonists. (Though I wouldn't mind something like a standard team leader. Twilight for example could be the Optimus Prime of MLP) Hell we might see a team of more than 6.

Anyway the more I think about it, the more I love the idea. Not in a dark in gritty manner but I still like the idea. You can have episodes of Monsters (solo or servant of the big bad) being a threat to ponyville or matters within the main groups' personal lives. Hell, you could build up a new incarnation of Tirek, Chrysalis or Nightmare Moon (whether you want a new incarnation of Celestia or Luna is optional) and develop them over the course of the season and have recurring underlings that serve as loyal followers or backstabbers. You can form major story arcs instead of just having the villain just pop up out of nowhere at the end of the season.

The more I think about it the tones of Powerpuff Girls or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2012 would work rather well with MLP. Or you can have it in the tone of FiM's Premiers or Finales. I'd totally watch it. I can't see it being as dark as something like Transformers: Prime, Batman TAS or Teen Titans, though

Edited by The Coffee Pony

(edited)

I would be all for something like that, if they did something like Avatar: The Last Airbender. (i.e. making it one big serialized story, have humorous and light-hearted scenes to balance out the heavier moments, etc.)

Edited by SpaceOnion