Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spiritual people?

SpiderDiscord

I am not a religious person.

Well most people here would say you don't have to be to be spiritual. (I'm not one of them but it's a school of thought.)

What made you want to post in a thread about spirituality though?

• Brohoof 1

Well then, at least by the definition the OP laid out (see last page), then yes. Religion to me, is more all inclusive.

On that subject though, if there was a Buddhist, Hindu, or other faith with meditation as part of its practice, do you think you would consider joining it?

Why did you start meditating to begin with?

None of my family are Buddhist or Hindu but are closer to christian but maybe I would.

I started meditating after I was introduced to it from yoga and it was a healing experience. Now I actually do believe in God, I just don't attend church very frequently I'm just more partial to meditating than praying is all. Meditation just works much better for me.

• Brohoof 1

None of my family are Buddhist or Hindu but are closer to christian but maybe I would.

I started meditating after I was introduced to it from yoga and it was a healing experience. Now I actually do believe in God, I just don't attend church very frequently I'm just more partial to meditating than praying is all. Meditation just works much better for me.

Hey, whatever works for you. God talks to all of us in different ways, I believe. Do you meditate to music or do you prefer quiet?

Hey, whatever works for you. God talks to all of us in different ways, I believe. Do you meditate to music or do you prefer quiet?

Sometimes I do like music, mostly relaxing ambient music.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I feel meditation is universal and not really specific to religion.

Well certainly the physical aspects but the fact that it factors into many religious practices doesn't seem like coincidence to me. It helps one clear the mind, listen to the soul, and perhaps even hear the universe speak to you when our chaotic thoughts would normally distract us. Think of it like a pond of water, it's rippling and moving and that's fine, but only when it's at last still can one see their reflection in it.

Such would be lost on a person who didn't believe there was something beyond the physical world, whatever it is.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

The only way i'd actually become a spiritual person, is if a wave or soaring flame physically existed and i could use magic to control. If that doesn't exist then science is more real than anything in terms of explaining things that exist.

(edited)

The only way i'd actually become a spiritual person, is if a wave or soaring flame physically existed and i could use magic to control. If that doesn't exist then science is more real than anything in terms of explaining things that exist.

again, it's not religion...

and please don't be disrespectful towards people with different beliefs.

To be properly considered a scientific fact, it has to be able to be disproved, and no one can disprove spiritual beliefs

Which are not what you exaggerated them to be at all

As long as their belief is non harmful towards other, it doesn't matter

Please try to refrain from backhanded comments like this, I would like this forum to be as accepting and respectful as possible...

sorry for jumping to defence like this, but had a friend who disrespected me for the similar reasons regarding 'science', and treated me like I was stupid just because I practice meditation and believed in a spirit within us all... it was horribly rude, needless to say we are no longer friends.

Could have just said that you only believe in what you have witnessed vs the unknown

EDIT:

I'm sure you meant no disrespect, just letting you know how it came off to me personally at least

This might seem tangential to some and related to others, but how many here practice the martial arts? If so, what school?

I need to, so out of shape -struggling noises to lift gallon of milk- (exaggerating)

Edited by SpiderDiscord
  • Brohoof 2

I need to, so out of shape -struggling noises to lift gallon of milk- (exaggerating)

Well there's other ways to get in shape. Admittedly none of them motivate me the same way the martial arts do but it's not for everyone. Is there any particular school you are interested in? 

• Brohoof 1

Well there's other ways to get in shape. Admittedly none of them motivate me the same way the martial arts do but it's not for everyone. Is there any particular school you are interested in? 

school? -shrug-

Usually LARPing is my form of exercises haha ... 

and exercise from helping dad clean up his hoard of boxes of not needed stuff

school? -shrug-

Usually LARPing is my form of exercises haha ... 

and exercise from helping dad clean up his hoard of boxes of not needed stuff

School meaning Kung Fu, Muay Thai, Jiu-jitsu, etc. As I sort of eluded to, many of the older martial arts are not only great for getting and staying in shape, they also are highly spiritual practices. The entire point is to hone mind, body, and spirit into a cohesive and healthy whole the various schools only differ in what path they take to achieve that end.

I've always wanted to try LARPing, precisely because I think I'd make at least a passable monk.

• Brohoof 1

School meaning Kung Fu, Muay Thai, Jiu-jitsu, etc. As I sort of eluded to, many of the older martial arts are not only great for getting and staying in shape, they also are highly spiritual practices. The entire point is to hone mind, body, and spirit into a cohesive and healthy whole the various schools only differ in what path they take to achieve that end.

I've always wanted to try LARPing, precisely because I think I'd make at least a passable monk.

It depends on which LARP you go to (for community type and style of classes/jobs/species)

The one I go to, you can be a spell caster, which involves healing spells if you wish

And will have to look into them! I tend to like slow movement like styles (despite the fact that I ironically always play rogues)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
It depends on which LARP you go to (for community type and style of classes/jobs/species) The one I go to, you can be a spell caster, which involves healing spells if you wish

Well I was more looking to the DnD type setup but I understand there's probably a lot I don't get about it from the outside.

And will have to look into them! I tend to like slow movement like styles

Might I suggest you look into Tai Chi Quan? That has very slow and flowing movements and as you might be able to tell from the name, chi is a heavy part of how the style works in both its movements and philosophy so it nurses the soul very well. 

Although, are you asking for "slow" movements based on the actual performance speed or because you otherwise feel you couldn't keep up? Which is understandable! I'm just confirming.

(despite the fact that I ironically always play rogues)

I do not like Rogues.  :okiedokielokie:

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

Well I was more looking to the DnD type setup but I understand there's probably a lot I don't get about it from the outside.

Might I suggest you look into Tai Chi Quan? That has very slow and flowing movements and as you might be able to tell from the name, chi is a heavy part of how the style works in both its movements and philosophy so it nurses the soul very well. 

Although, are you asking for "slow" movements based on the actual performance speed or because you otherwise feel you couldn't keep up? Which is understandable! I'm just confirming.

I do not like Rogues.  :okiedokielokie:

haha not like thief rogue, like archer/throwing weapon ... I like being that thing behind the corner/people shooting over them/around the corner! I used to love being a mage, but I am awful at names and got tired of people over criticizing how I said the incants. ...Though currently my character is using poison attacks so do require calls I stumble on at times, but not as much as spell calls which are almost like a whole sentence! (character is a spore dryad so thought it would be funny to have a bunch of poisons because of my mushrooms)

anyway I looked it up and yeah that is what I am looking for! thank you!  :wub:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

again, it's not religion...

and please don't be disrespectful towards people with different beliefs.

To be properly considered a scientific fact, it has to be able to be disproved, and no one can disprove spiritual beliefs

Which are not what you exaggerated them to be at all

As long as their belief is non harmful towards other, it doesn't matter

Please try to refrain from backhanded comments like this, I would like this forum to be as accepting and respectful as possible...

sorry for jumping to defence like this, but had a friend who disrespected me for the similar reasons regarding 'science', and treated me like I was stupid just because I practice meditation and believed in a spirit within us all... it was horribly rude, needless to say we are no longer friends.

Could have just said that you only believe in what you have witnessed vs the unknown

EDIT:

I'm sure you meant no disrespect, just letting you know how it came off to me personally at least

But thats the point. You can't disprove anything fictional. To find courage to do stuff, is to believe for your own and other benefits, that's good. But to become zealous is just crazy... like you are literally mind probed with weird stuff that is not healthy to begin with.

Edit: I ain't calling you stupid, but i usually ignored if one said that in terms of me being a christian, i think i heard someone else might have done it to someone else (I never experienced that stuff myself). Although my friends never treated my inferior or anything, we joked and had lots of fun back then.

Edited by Trine

haha not like thief rogue, like archer/throwing weapon ... I like being that thing behind the corner/people shooting over them/around the corner! I used to love being a mage, but I am awful at names and got tired of people over criticizing how I said the incants. ...Though currently my character is using poison attacks so do require calls I stumble on at times, but not as much as spell calls which are almost like a whole sentence! (character is a spore dryad so thought it would be funny to have a bunch of poisons because of my mushrooms)

anyway I looked it up and yeah that is what I am looking for! thank you!  :wub:

My mistake. When I hear the word Rogue in the context of fantasy classes, I usually think of an honorless backstabber. (Both literally and metaphorically.)

You are quite welcome. My teacher includes Tai Chi lessons in with the class so I'm learning some of it as well, it is a very cool art.

But thats the point. You can't disprove anything fictional. To find courage to do stuff, is to believe for your own and other benefits, that's good. But to become zealous is just crazy... like you are literally mind probed with weird stuff that is not healthy to begin with.

Well that's where true wisdom lies. If you become consumed by doctrine or abstracts, you neglect the world and others who live in it, as well as yourself. That's not balance.

• Brohoof 1

Edit: I ain't calling you stupid, but i usually ignored if one said that in terms of me being a christian, i think i heard someone else might have done it to someone else (I never experienced that stuff myself). Although my friends never treated my inferior or anything, we joked and had lots of fun back then.

?

it's not healthy if the belief involves harming others or oneself...

But this is about calming and healing which is not unhealthy at all!

It's not like those that are against health care, one can be both into spirituality and health care

if that's what you meant

But since you can't disprove that mindful healing works, that doesn't make it fiction (which is known to be truly fake/defying laws of physics)

haha, not shooting fire out of my hands, just creating a self implemented placebo effect, which is science (tho no really researched, it is known to exist)

If can be disprovable if people who adjust their thoughts never have anything change within them, but many studies on the brain have been done on spiritual people, and the brain activity is wildly different that the control group's

scientific researchers are not exactly sure what it means, but its happening

Maybe gods and spirits really don't exist, but who cares? It doesn't matter if they do or don't, in the long run if people who believe in them find comfort in it, then who cares. as long as they aren't running around like "my theory is more correct than your theory"...

And honestly, god and spirits not existing is a theory, since it is unknown. It has not be disproven.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

?

it's not healthy if the belief involves harming others or oneself...

But this is about calming and healing which is not unhealthy at all!

It's not like those that are against health care, one can be both into spirituality and health care

if that's what you meant

But since you can't disprove that mindful healing works, that doesn't make it fiction (which is known to be truly fake/defying laws of physics)

haha, not shooting fire out of my hands, just creating a self implemented placebo effect, which is science (tho no really researched, it is known to exist)

If can be disprovable if people who adjust their thoughts never have anything change within them, but many studies on the brain have been done on spiritual people, and the brain activity is wildly different that the control group's

scientific researchers are not exactly sure what it means, but its happening

Maybe gods and spirits really don't exist, but who cares? It doesn't matter if they do or don't, in the long run if people who believe in them find comfort in it, then who cares. as long as they aren't running around like "my theory is more correct than your theory"...

And honestly, god and spirits not existing is a theory, since it is unknown. It has not be disproven.

Well that's different, its a more cultural traditional medicine, which in some cases can calm your nerves, although i think acupuncture is somewhat too extreme. If people are into that then i ain't gonna complain.

I refer more too.. well Paranormal Activity, (I slept through the movie). I am amazed why this movie was a hit to begin with. There even has been a tv series on people wishfully believing their house is filled with ghosts. I mean people who are that crazy honestly needs help in my view.

Edited by Trine

Well that's different, its a more cultural traditional medicine, which in some cases can calm your nerves, although i think acupuncture is somewhat too extreme. If people are into that then i ain't gonna complain.

I refer more too.. well Paranormal Activity, (I slept through the movie). I am amazed why this movie was a hit to begin with. There even has been a tv series on people wishfully believing their house is filled with ghosts. I mean people who are that crazy honestly needs help in my view.

Well that's just plain old paranoia, I wouldn't exactly call jumping at shadows the same thing as seeking one's true self through introspection, in fact it's quite the opposite.

Spirituality is, at it's heart very much about one's inner world, your thoughts and feelings. Superstition, especially destructive superstition, is seeing danger in the world around you even in innocuous phenomenon.

This is all the spiritual mood i need. I make them come true by a click of a button that makes it do it for me :).

Imagination is a good thing.

This is all the spiritual mood i need. I make them come true by a click of a button that makes it do it for me :).

Imagination is a good thing.

I think you are still missing the point of spirituality but if it's not your kettle of tea, I won't force you to drink it.

Little too fast paced for me to meditate to plus Silver doesn't really strike me as that spiritual. Knuckles does, at least in some of his better portrayals, along with his ancestor/predecessor guardian Tikal.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I think you are still missing the point of spirituality but if it's not your kettle of tea, I won't force you to drink it.

Little too fast paced for me to meditate to plus Silver doesn't really strike me as that spiritual. Knuckles does, at least in some of his better portrayals, along with his ancestor/predecessor guardian Tikal.

Catchy Ref ^^

And the stuff Knuckles does exists. Master Emerald, keeping Angel Island floating. Knuckles knows his stuff :)

Edited by Trine
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

And the stuff Knuckles does exists. Master Emerald, keeping Angel Island floating. Knuckles knows his stuff :)

In fiction, one can portray spiritual findings as physical truths. Usually as a metaphor for such spirituality in real life.

In Warcraft and Dungeons and Dragons, divine magic comes from the priest/cleric's spiritual faith. It contrasts in this way from arcane magic which is more closely related to a studied science, going through ingredients or incantations to produce magical results. Whereas a cleric/priest can say the prayers but if there is no faith behind them, the invocation won't work. 

That's a metaphor for when those of spirituality loose their faith, when the words they once uttered in prayer become just words rather than something more.

Or Avatar! Both versions of the show are drenched in spirituality and how both bending and just living one's life relates to it.

In Knuckles case, he guards the Master Emerald because he considers it a sacred duty, not just because the world would be in danger if it wasn't there to keep the Chaos Emeralds in check, but because the position itself was appointed by the Shamans of his long extinct people. In addition, knuckles can feel the presence of the Master Emerald and similar phenomenon, which is meant to represent a kind of "sixth sense" or more mundanely, an intuition that people who are deeply introspective often have a heightened sense for.

Edited by Steel Accord