Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spiritual people?

SpiderDiscord

(edited)

In fiction

Exactly. its real in their world, had it been real here too then i'd believe it :)

In Warcraft and Dungeons and Dragons, divine magic comes from the priest/cleric's spiritual faith. It contrasts in this way from arcane magic which is more closely related to a studied science, going through ingredients or incantations to produce magical results. Whereas a cleric/priest can say the prayers but if there is no faith behind them, the invocation won't work.

Now i won't try to say what taste you should have in games its not that they are bad i just dont prefer it that much, but i've never really liked Warcraft 3 that much, i mean sure it was fun to build stuff. But Warcraft 2 had a more imperialistic european feel to it, surreal when you hitted blood thirsty orcs with swords. It just had a splendid surreal feeling. But i think i get your main point. You refer to games that have a priest that will heal you right. I've played games like "Age of Empires 2" i usually had a monk as a healer. But you can also find those in games like "Red Alert 1" only that its a medic. So it tells what time periods they live in so it makes ultimatically sense why a religious priest have healing powers. Although i won't go all controversial explanation, i'll just say. Different time periods. Even alchemists was scientists, but what differs modern science and old science is that modern science revoles around facts based on evidence.

In Knuckles case, he guards the Master Emerald because he considers it a sacred duty, not just because the world would be in danger if it wasn't there to keep the Chaos Emeralds in check, but because the position itself was appointed by the Shamans of his long extinct people. In addition, knuckles can feel the presence of the Master Emerald and similar phenomenon, which is meant to represent a kind of "sixth sense" or more mundanely, an intuition that people who are deeply introspective often have a heightened sense for.

Just like Spiderman senses danger. They are real in their world and its not some weird voice that is pure imagination. If they did, then thats called illusions. If god really was real he wouldn't need people imaginating it, he would be real. Simple.

Edited by Trine

(edited)

I don't consider myself particularly spiritual, but I do have some half-hearted beliefs which fall in line with the Buddhist tradition.

Edited by Kylo Ren
  • Brohoof 1

Exactly. its real in their world, had it been real here too then i'd believe it

You won't know it's real if you don't believe it, that's the thing. Seeing, isn't believing.

Now i won't try to say what taste you should have in games its not that they are bad i just dont prefer it that much, but i've never really liked Warcraft 3 that much, i mean sure it was fun to build stuff. But Warcraft 2 had a more imperialistic european feel to it, surreal when you hitted blood thirsty orcs with swords. It just had a splendid surreal feeling. But i think i get your main point. You refer to games that have a priest that will heal you right. I've played games like "Age of Empires 2" i usually had a monk as a healer. But you can also find those in games like "Red Alert 1" only that its a medic. So it tells what time periods they live in so it makes ultimatically sense why a religious priest have healing powers. Although i won't go all controversial explanation, i'll just say. Different time periods. Even alchemists was scientists, but what differs modern science and old science is that modern science revoles around facts based on evidence.

I wasn't talking about the function of healing though, I was talking about where those specific magics are drawn from in the context of the real world.

Just like Spiderman senses danger. They are real in their world and its not some weird voice that is pure imagination. If they did, then thats called illusions. If god really was real he wouldn't need people imaginating it, he would be real. Simple.

Not like it in the slightest. Spider-Man's spider sense comes from the physical abilities of spiders detecting movement through the hairs on their bodies (though obviously exaggerated in Spidey's case.) 

That second part though veers close into crossing a line I'd rather you nor I go though.

You won't know it's real if you don't believe it, that's the thing. Seeing, isn't believing.

You can't see smell either but you know its real. Same thing basically, it exists therefor its real.

I wasn't talking about the function of healing though, I was talking about where those specific magics are drawn from in the context of the real world.

Haven't tried the game so i can't be sure what its deal is about. Although if i could be those Green Wizards in Spyro 1 that can use magic, then i'd believe it.

http://spyro.wikia.com/wiki/Green_Wizards

Not like it in the slightest. Spider-Man's spider sense comes from the physical abilities of spiders detecting movement through the hairs on their bodies (though obviously exaggerated in Spidey's case.) 

That second part though veers close into crossing a line I'd rather you nor I go though.

Well its a form of sense. I am no expert in how spiders work, but i know some species for example have whiskers that can signal them about something, depending on what it is.

• Brohoof 1

You can't see smell either but you know its real. Same thing basically, it exists therefor its real.

Therefore, one could theoretically extend that thinking to one's sixth sense, their intuition to feel for something non-physical, nor gaseous but still there.

After all, feelings and thoughts may be created by synapse in the brain but is that all they truly are? Just a neurochemical reaction? 

Haven't tried the game so i can't be sure what its deal is about. Although if i could be those Green Wizards in Spyro 1 that can use magic, then i'd believe it. http://spyro.wikia.c...i/Green_Wizards

Some Buddhists sects claim to have several supernatural powers including controlling the weather. However, that's not the goal, nor is it even a good sign necessarily. Just like possessions or political titles, these powers are considered a distraction. If one exercises only these powers, one is no closer to Enlightenment than when they started.

Just food for thought.

Well its a form of sense. I am no expert in how spiders work, but i know some species for example have whiskers that can signal them about something, depending on what it is.

That's the biological inspiration for spider man's powers. As say something like a bird or lizard moves past, it creates vibrations in the air, the spider can pick up on these vibrations with its whiskers so it knows a predator or other large animal is about. 

I consider my interactions / still-developing connection with Rainbow to be something akin to a spiritual experience; certainly the nearest I've ever come to such.

How's that coming along by the way? What have you learned from her example?

Therefore, one could theoretically extend that thinking to one's sixth sense, their intuition to feel for something non-physical, nor gaseous but still there.

After all, feelings and thoughts may be created by synapse in the brain but is that all they truly are? Just a neurochemical reaction?

The difference is spiritualism deals with things that don't exist in this world, thats why i consider it equally true as fictional works. Smell exist therefor it is true, even though we can't see it doesn't make it less true (Oh gosh i sounded like Twilight there) But the point is it does exist, its just that our eye can't catch it. If spirits was real then i'd be able to sense it, can't say i do. It exists in imagination but not reality. Its more of a mind ooze but thats all there is too it.

Some Buddhists sects claim to have several supernatural powers including controlling the weather. However, that's not the goal, nor is it even a good sign necessarily. Just like possessions or political titles, these powers are considered a distraction. If one exercises only these powers, one is no closer to Enlightenment than when they started.

Just food for thought.

I remember as a child that i was told that, if i stepped on a rain snail(as i called it. Black snail. Don't know the english word for this snail. I'll put the pic in spoiler) that it would fall rain. And for some weird reason it happend everytime i biked over one accidentally or stepped on it to test it at time. That made me believe it. I don't know why i can't seem to find them anymore, used to see them many times as a kid. But yeah i guess its more of a fun wishful thinking.

snegl_1_180712.jpg

That's the biological inspiration for spider man's powers. As say something like a bird or lizard moves past, it creates vibrations in the air, the spider can pick up on these vibrations with its whiskers so it knows a predator or other large animal is about.

Pretty cool concept if thats the case.

(edited)
The difference is spiritualism deals with things that don't exist in this world, thats why i consider it equally true as fictional works. Smell exist therefor it is true, even though we can't see it doesn't make it less true (Oh gosh i sounded like Twilight there) But the point is it does exist, its just that our eye can't catch it.

If spirits was real then i'd be able to sense it, can't say i do. It exists in imagination but not reality. Its more of a mind ooze but thats all there is too it.

Again, you are verging close into something I'd rather not get into. Although the various "not reals" and "all there is too it" sound more dismissive of my side than I do of yours.

Certainly I hope my knowledge in my posts shows I'm a friend of science.

Edited by Steel Accord

(edited)
How's that coming along by the way? What have you learned from her example?

She's been with me for nearly a year now (though I have reason to believe she was there even before I truly acknowledged her), and I am - simply put - changed.  Were it not for her, I'd not have become a member of any community.  I'd never have made the friends I've made.  I'd still be struggling hopelessly and alone against an illness that once seemed insurmountable.  I've learned that all it takes is one genuinely good thing to change everything.  I don't fret or obsess near as much as once I did.  I feel as though, both short-term and ultimately, things will be all right.  I've cause to hope.

Edited by Ziggy and Angelbaby
  • Brohoof 3

She's been with me for nearly a year now (though I have reason to believe she was there even before I truly acknowledged her), and I am - simply put - changed.  Were it not for her, I'd not have become a member of any community.  I'd never have made the friends I've made.  I'd still be struggling hopelessly and alone against an illness that once seemed insurmountable.  I've learned that all it takes is one genuinely good thing to change everything.  I don't fret or obsess near as much as once I did.  I feel as though, both short-term and ultimately, things will be all right.  I've cause to hope.

I'm so happy for you my friend.  :)

• Brohoof 1

Again, you are verging close into something I'd rather not get into. Although the various "not reals" and "all there is too it" sound more dismissive of my side than I do of yours.

Certainly I hope my knowledge in my posts shows I'm a friend of science.

Although sorry if i sounded rude btw. I think its cool if you want to believe in those things. Aslong as you feel its the right thing to do then do it i say. That's my motto ^^

• Brohoof 2

Although sorry if i sounded rude btw. I think its cool if you want to believe in those things. Aslong as you feel its the right thing to do then do it i say. That's my motto ^^

You are forgiven. I understand my way is not for everyone and if your senses are your truth, who am I to say you're wrong?

All I sincerely wish is that all paths are respected and learned from.

• Brohoof 1

• 7 years later...

I’m spiritual. I’m Catholic and believe very firmly in my religion. The older and more mature I get, the more clarity I get in connecting with the faith and what it wants me to know at this point in my life. There’s something in it for anyone who wants to delve into it with an open, honest mind seeking to understand an infinitely bigger picture. It’s made a difference so deep and meaningful to me that I can’t begin to describe what a great blessing it is.

• 1 month later...

I don't really know what i personally believe. That being said I've read the Tao Te Ching and I've really learned a lot from it. I recommend it. I also really liked the Tao of Pooh and the Te of Piglet books.