Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Drawing Contest ?

ProjectRKA

(edited)

Seeing the new Summerpalooza writing contest made me think that there's a lack of attention to our artists here. They're only really appreciated whenever we put up a new banner. So I feel there should be some more drawing contests. How often it should occur could be discussed. I'd personally like to see it as a monthly thing.

So... how many would be interested in entering a drawing contest ?

Edited by ProjectRKA
  • Brohoof 8

Seeing the new Summerpalooza writing contest made me think that there's a lack of attention to our artists here.They're only really appreciated whenever we put up a new banner. So I feel there should be some more drawing contests. How often it should occur could be discussed. I'd personally like to see it as a monthly thing.

So... how many would be interested in entering a drawing contest ?

I'm ecstatic you posted this. I eagerly await the replies here.

;)

*Suspicious horse noises

• Brohoof 8

It could spark me a motivation to start drawing again, atleast hoping so, I love drawing and art but no will, goals or motivation. This could provide me the spark to start again =) very good idea =)

• Brohoof 3

If the prompt was interesting, I'd definitely get behind it.  ;) After all, art is closer to my skill set at present time, and the motivation sounds quite promising, haha.  :lol:

• Brohoof 5

If the prompt was interesting, I'd definitely get behind it. ;) After all, art is closer to my skill set at present time, and the motivation sounds quite promising, haha. :lol:

Just curious about that, what would qualify as an uninteresting prompt?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@Jeric, off hand I couldn't really give you a solid answer to that.  :grin2: Interesting prompts (to me) tend to be something slightly unexpected, specific enough to spark some ideas, but loose enough to be interpreted in a number of ways. Something that gives you a direction to stride in without giving you a formula to follow, ideally with a quirk or spark beyond the typical.  :muffins:

Thus, uninteresting prompts would at least be something too vague or too specific (to me)--too loose to be inspirational, or too specific to feel like we're working off our own vision.

EDIT: Or just uninteresting. Things that wouldn't have an angle to play with or make us think.  :)

Edited by SFyr
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Hmm.. yeah, I could get behind this sorta thing.  :dash: 

Definitely second the idea that most of the artist on this forum aren't too much noticed unless they do something significant. 

There is way too much talent on this forum that goes unnoticed.  :twi: 

Edited by ~OnylexOmnyPony
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Funny to say, I was actually thinking about making a topic regarding a Drawing Contest idea for this site a few days ago. I would be overjoyed to see a Drawing Contest or two. Seeing how the brony community is really creative and how Octavia's Hall needs a little more of a purpose, it would make a lot of sense to start one up.

But if we're going to plan one out, then it would be best to plan out and give prizes. One thing I thought of is the 1st winner of a Drawing Contest will have their image displayed on something like the cover of a Poniverse Newsletter. Kind of something like this, for example, but with ponies instead. The 1st winner will also have said work showcased on Featured Art in Poniverse newsletters, as well as some other extra prize. The 2nd winner will have their work showcased on Featured Art and an extra prize, while 3rd place will just have their work showcased on Featured Art. And each Drawing Contest shall have a specific theme to it, like one theme we'll have Fluttershy or another one will have something regarding Christmas.

But I digress. I would really love it if we had monthly art contests or something. We can't leave this idea in the dust, there is a lot of talented people within this community that would love to help contribute by joining stuff like this.

Edited by Odyssey
  • Brohoof 5

But if we're going to plan one out, then it would be best to plan out and give prizes.

This is exactly why I made the topic in this section. Was hoping the poniverse staff would help backing the idea. And I actually like the draft on winning prizes you made. 

• Brohoof 2

This is exactly why I made the topic in this section. Was hoping the poniverse staff would help backing the idea. And I actually like the draft on winning prizes you made. 

In the past I and other members have personally funded giveaways by using merch as prizes, which was my intention on several of the upcoming contests that I had planned involving art. Unfortunately I wouldn't expect anyone personally to put up a financial cash award. That said, I have relayed the requests for Poniverse funding such a contest directly.

I will say that I absolutely appreciate the art community personally, which is why I and a few others are actively working on several plans for Octavia's Hall to bring more attention to it and to you guys. 

• Brohoof 3

I would love to participate if it comes around, it would give me the incentive to start drawing more (not because of winning prizes, just competing alongside my fellow members and sharing a common artistic aim/prompt)  :)

What a great idea RKA!

If this happens im going to have to load up good old paint.

• Brohoof 2

:)

We will be moving forward with an art contest, and I am working with both membership and Octavia's Hall staff on the nuances. Details will follow. 

• Brohoof 6

But i think its important to mention your age to make it fair, i am 14 years old and i have no chance against a 30 years old professional artist. I am quit good at drawing for my age but its just normal that i am not as good as people whp are older so it would be fair to make age categories or something :/

• Brohoof 1

But i think its important to mention your age to make it fair, i am 14 years old and i have no chance against a 30 years old professional artist. I am quit good at drawing for my age but its just normal that i am not as good as people whp are older so it would be fair to make age categories or something :/

I personally think that  the beauty of the art is in the eye of the person who is looking the art and I've seen your drawings and I see you put lot of heart into them and that is what makes it beautiful  for me 

post-28950-0-57751800-1436708151_thumb.jpg

lovely drawing of Rarity you drawn melts my hear so cute =)<3  and in these kind of competitions the most important thing is not winning its that everypony has fun and happy time drawing the beautiful art =)=)=)=)=)
  • Brohoof 1

I personally think that  the beauty of the art is in the eye of the person who is looking the art and I've seen your drawings and I see you put lot of heart into them and that is what makes it beautiful  for me 

lovely drawing of Rarity you drawn melts my hear so cute =)<3  and in these kind of competitions the most important thing is not winning its that everypony has fun and happy time drawing the beautiful art =)=)=)=)=)

Yea, thats true and you still remember my drawing :) you get sooo many drawings!! And you are right about the thing of putting your heart in it :) and i am shure they'll juge it fair but i just wanted to mention it
  • Brohoof 1

Your age really does not really determine how good you are at drawing, so I don't really see why people's age should be mentioned. I've seen teens paint incredible pieces where perhaps a 30 years old bloke would be completely ridiculous at drawing. 

• Brohoof 1

Realistically, age brackets would only make sense if we had a large artist turnout for a contest. I'm not sure of the submission numbers since we haven't announced anything so its always best to keep things simple at first.

• Brohoof 2

I think this is a cool idea. I doubt I'd get anywhere close to winning since I'm not very good, but I might participate anyway (for the fun of being a part of something and gaining practice). ^^

• Brohoof 3

Realistically, age brackets would only make sense if we had a large artist turnout for a contest. I'm not sure of the submission numbers since we haven't announced anything so its always best to keep things simple at first.

Even then I don't see why age brackets would be relevant. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm ecstatic you posted this. I eagerly await the replies here.

;)

*Suspicious horse noises

There is just one problem that crossed my mind. You see, some of us don't have the items or money to buy computer and tablets on which one could draw upon. Would hand drawn and digital art be in two separate piles or is this just for the conglomeration that has the digital art capabilities? Would the hand drawn art be pushed down due to the fact that they are hand drawn?

• Brohoof 1

There is just one problem that crossed my mind. You see, some of us don't have the items or money to buy computer and tablets on which one could draw upon. Would hand drawn and digital art be in two separate piles or is this just for the conglomeration that has the digital art capabilities? Would the hand drawn art be pushed down due to the fact that they are hand drawn?

We won't leave the traditional artists in the lurch.

• Brohoof 2

We won't leave the traditional artists in the lurch.

So what will happen to us? Obviously we can't color in everything perfectly to where everything is even and the lines are perfect like the digital artists can. If you were to stick us in the same pile as digital art we would get knocked down by major points because of drawing reasons and coloring reasons.

• Brohoof 1