Thinking about being an MLP fan and NOT a brony!

TheMarkz0ne

(edited)

@@Arylett Charnoa, You're objectively wrong, too. Once more, there's nothing exclusive about what being a brony is for the reasons I already stated. Being a brony isn't some kind of fan that belongs in one group and not another. It's not a club nor some silly invitation you hope others will accept; believing otherwise is creating fabrications about the term. It's merely another name for a fan of G4.

Language is always evolving, and in the future, the word "brony" will likely no longer exist or be commonly used.

Don't be so sure that "brony" will dissipate. The title has been a part of modern pop culture for nearly five years now, and the fandom is still growing. The movie will be out in two years, and the product line will continue to assemble for the rest of the decade. Trekkies have been around since my dad was still a kid; despite elitists trying to create Trekkie stereotypes and attempt to adopt "Trekker," "Trekkie" is still going strong. "Whovian" is a part of modern-day lexicon. The FOX show, Firefly, was canceled nearly twelve years ago, but the title for those fans, "Browncoats," is just as alive now as it was back then; it will continue to live on as long as at least one is alive. Bronies isn't just for Friendship Is Magic's show, but the merchandise, comics, EQG, and arguably the fandom creations, too. If G5 is as good as or better than FIM, bronydom will extend there, too. Even after FIM is over, the brony fandom is too dedicated to die, and the same will likely go for the title.

Being an MLP fan is just as clear of a term as "brony," but doesn't have any of those connotations you might not like.

This

On the contrary. By telling others, "I'm not a brony. I'm a fan of FIM," you're reinforcing stereotypes that bronies fight long and hard to dispel. You're telling other people that there's something bad about being an FIM fan. You're implying, "I'm not one of them. I'm a much better/more special fan than bronies." This automatic shutdown of other bronies has a similar elitist, separatist backdrop that transsexual separatists used to help try and splinter the "T" quarter of the LGBT community. Let me tell you, what happened there wasn't pretty.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

"Talent is a pursued interest." — Bob Ross

Pro-Brony articles: 1/2/3/4

(edited)

Well, here's the catch. Brony=fan of mlp. Clean and simple.

If you were talking to someone about mlp, and they asked you "Are you a brony?" Are you really going to say "No no, I am a fan of MLP." Probably not, and if you did they would probably reply with "Well aren't they the same thing?"

No, "Brony" is a fandom title. It does not have any solid definition, it's just a title that some (not all) fans of MLP (specifically FiM) choose to apply to themselves.

Secondly, that's exactly how I would (and have answered) answer that question.

As much as I'd love to continue going down that road, I don't actually think that objection to the term "Brony" is necessarily what this topic is about. This topic is about being a member of the Brony fandom/community. For the record, the concept of adult MLP fans is not a "Brony" thing, an adult MLP community has existed for many years before the Brony community came to be, and it continues to exist completely separate from the Brony community. This notion that MLP Fan = "Brony" is complete and utter nonsense, and is something that is only thrown around by those who comprise the "new" MLP fandom/Brony fandom.

On the contrary. By telling others, "I'm not a brony. I'm a fan of FIM," you're reinforcing stereotypes that bronies fight long and hard to dispel. You're telling other people that there's something bad about being an FIM fan. You're implying, "I'm not one of them. I'm a much better/more special fan than bronies." This automatic shutdown of other bronies has a similar elitist, separatist backdrop that transsexual separatists used to help try and splinter the "T" quarter of the LGBT community. Let me tell you, what happened there wasn't pretty.

Please quit acting as if factions within the fans of a toy franchise is any way comparable to the struggles of the LGBT community. It's just silly. I understand that wasn't exactly what you're meaning, but you sure make it sound that way. You just speak so seriously of this.

I don't know why you expect us MLP fans who are not Bronies to fight to dispel your stereotypes. That's your job. Not from a "separatist" standpoint, but because it's your fandom. The stereotypes exist within your fandom. I know, because I've been a member of this forum from the very beginning.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 4

mlpwoodwinds.jpg
Everything needs more woodwind!

You don’t have to call yourself a brony if you don’t want, don’t think most people would be bothered if you’d rather be called an MLP fan.

As for the stuff about the fandom, I wouldn’t take this idea of fandom too seriously.

• Brohoof 1

This notion that MLP Fan = "Brony" is complete and utter nonsense, and is something that is only thrown around by those who comprise the "new" MLP fandom/Brony fandom.

How is this nonsense? The term was originally coined on 4chan/mlp/ meaning brony is an adult fan of mlp. If you didn't participate in the community in any way, then I could see an argument, but right now we are on the MLPForums. Claiming to not be a brony, while active in some-sort of way, is like me playing a MMO or any other huge game and saying I'm not a part of that community.

JustJustaMonika.jpg.57d7eb45565d778a5fe909145eda2385.jpgMonika

How is this nonsense? The term was originally coined on 4chan/mlp/ meaning brony is an adult fan of mlp. If you didn't participate in the community in any way, then I could see an argument, but right now we are on the MLPForums. Claiming to not be a brony, while active in some-sort of way, is like me playing a MMO or any other huge game and saying I'm not a part of that community.

I've been a member of these forums since very close to the (if not the very) day they were opened. I did not join them as a "Brony". Back then "Brony" was not seen as a mandatory term like it is now, it and "brohooves" were not plastered in every corner of this forum.

I mean, you said it yourself, it's called MLP Forums, not Brony Forums.

I really don't care what that site coined. It has nothing to do with me, or me liking MLP.

• Brohoof 6

mlpwoodwinds.jpg

I mean, you said it yourself, it's called MLP Forums, not Brony Forums.

Well played.

Anyway, even if "MLP fan" isn't equivalent to "Brony", I still don't think it's a good idea to divide the community like that. It's actually quite strange, because most communities or fandoms are doing the exact opposite. They're trying to hold together and still be relevant; I guess most bronies, ironically, don't care.

(edited)

Ain't nothing wrong with that. You do you and don't worry what anyone else thinks. I'm an anime fan but I don't consider myself an Otaku, its the same kind of thing here.

Your comparison is actually apples to oranges. When you look at it from a Japanese perspective, it's understandable why some won't adopt the term "otaku." In the United States, "otaku" is seen as a term of endearment, like manga geek or anime geek. In Japan, "otaku" apparently has a very different meaning and attitude. There, "otaku" isn't confined to anime and manga, is equivalent to someone being obsessed, and considered a very derogatory insult. Probably as much an insult there as the "weeaboo" slur in Internet cyberbully culture.

Please quit acting as if factions within the fans of a toy franchise is any way comparable to the struggles of the LGBT community. It's just silly. I understand that wasn't exactly what you're meaning, but you sure make it sound that way. You just speak so seriously of this.

My point sailed completely above you. The comparison makes sense because the crap TS separatists often spewed accomplished nothing except a lot of infighting within the "T" quarter and self-isolation of the TS subcommunity. This is very similar logic brony separatists often use, except without the homophobic and transphobic drama.

I don't know why you expect us MLP fans who are not Bronies to fight to dispel your stereotypes. That's your job.

Your opinion is blatantly antifeminist at best and prejudicial at worst. The stereotypes bronies face is your business, my business, everyone else's business here, and the rest of MLP fans' business. Why? Because the stereotypes bronies face bleed to the rest of the MLP community and beyond. The brony community is as much a part of the MLP fandom as the rest of the generations. Stereotypes affect everybody, even if they don't personally.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@EnvyI go by the definition mentioned by Dark Rider which is a broad term referring to all fans of MLPFIM. Therefore level of dedication one has in MLPFIM or level of interaction within Brony community is irrelevant and the individual doesn't have a choice of not being labelled as a "Brony" unless they actually no longer are fan of MLPFIM. Then I suppose the only time that saying that being an MLP fan and not being a Brony works is if the individual specifically isn't fan of MLPFIM. Otherwise the statement doesn't make sense and to me it appears that the individual is denying what they are; it's like this inbetween of closet Bronies and outward(?) Bronies.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna
  • Brohoof 2

image.png.b5800dbd4a0f66541f23ae5455e704d7.png
Pony Art Thread

Brony since ~25 July of 2011.

Brony is a self created label with no dictionary definition. Therefore if you are not wishing to call yourself a brony, then you are not incorrect in doing so. Any who claim otherwise are being rather belligerent and I suspect possibly just upset that people do not wish to wear a title. Everyone can have their own definition of the term because there is no set in stone definition. So if you are just a fan, you're just a fan if that is what you choose.

Thus the whole "all fans are bronies" is not a sound argument, because brony lacks a proper definition and is subjective. What I consider a brony and what you consider a brony are different and it is rude to insist someone is a brony just because your definition is far looser than theirs. If someone does not wish to be labeled as a brony, leave them alone and don't try to force the title on them. You're being rude, obnoxious and possibly offensive to some.

(edited)

@@EnvyI go by the definition mentioned by Dark Rider which is a broad term referring to all fans of MLPFIM. Therefore level of dedication one has in MLPFIM or level of interaction within Brony community is irrelevant and the individual doesn't have a choice of not being labelled as a "Brony" unless they actually no longer are fan of MLPFIM. Then I suppose the only time that saying that being an MLP fan and not being a Brony works is if the individual specifically isn't fan of MLPFIM. Otherwise the statement doesn't make sense and to me it appears that the individual is denying what they are; it's like this inbetween of closet Bronies and outward(?) Bronies.

But you see, I'm not denying that I am a fan of FiM, so I am not denying that I am anything. "Brony" is nothing more than a term that a group of FiM fans decided to label themselves because they liked the show. Do you not see how absurd it is to brand that title that they created for fun on me when I don't wish to go by it? They (and you) have no right to decide that for me... And I sincerely doubt that was ever their intention. It was probably merely a title they created for fun, and you all are acting like it is a term with an absolute definition. It's just plain silly. Fandom titles don't work that way. They are for fun.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 4

mlpwoodwinds.jpg

That's very loaded don't you think? You're putting a lot of implications into something, and it sounds like you are trying to enforce the title on those who do not want it because you feel personally offended when others do not wish to have it like you do. Some people choose not to have it because they just don't feel like they are strong enough fans to warrant it. Even in other fandoms such as Doctor Who, not EVERYONE is considered a Whovian. If I think a show is okay that does not instantly turn me into a fan. Hell, I have Family Guy on from time to time because it's "okay" but I wouldn't even consider myself a fan of that show.

It sounds to me like you are more upset that other people HAVE negative stereotypes and feel that other fans should help try to dispel them. That is not really the concern of people who are just liking a TV show and really have little to no interest in the fanbase. To claim it is a bad thing on their part to not help defend the fandom is ridiculous.

I'm sorry that you feel offended by me not accepting a title that is optional, but I find it offensive that you feel the right to force that title onto people, and ironically in doing so you are part of the negative stereotype that people do not like about bronies.

For a fandom that claims to break down barriers we sure like to get obsessed over certain labels, especially the "brony" label. I agree with Dark Quivut that there essentially is no real difference between a "brony" and a "fan" but I also find myself in agreement with Envy, Lunaris and Arylett that it is in fact a fanmade label that people apparently attach all these different meanings to, some simple, some needlessly complicated and can come sometimes come off as circle jerkish. Because of this I use the terms "brony" and "fan" interchangeably for myself but could care less by what name fans wish to call themselves because as I said they mean the same thing and we all know what we are talking about here even with all the pointless quibbling over labels.

The friend that introduced me to ponies dosen't like calling himself a brony, not because he dislikes them or fan titles but that he thinks the name sounds kind of stupid. I honor his request because like I said, it really dosen't even matter. The only thing that bothers me is how some "fans" have this sort of white knightish elitist attitude where they are trying to prove that they are not one of "them" being the various aspects of the fandom they disagree with yet are still hypocritically participating in the very thing they claim to despise. There are certain aspects of the fandom that annoy and piss me off the top 2 being the ones that take things way too seriously and those damned white knights who seem hell bent on imposing their unrealistic puritanical vision of what a "brony" or "fan" should be onto the entire fandom. Despite that thought I take the good with the bad.

Ultimately though it is up to you for how much you want to participate, what you want to be called or even if you want to take part in anything at all. This obsession with labels is so needlessly divisive and ridiculous. A fan is a fan is a fan is a fan regardless of whether said fan is a hardcore one or a more casual fan.

• Brohoof 5

My involvement with the brony community began to wane, and I was contemplating adopting the title of 'MLP Fan' rather than brony, later I developed an instinctual feeling that I'd be a hypocrite if I did. Then people argue with me that if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it's a duck, regardless of the term 'brony' being subjective or not.

I have no idea what my label is at this point...

• Brohoof 1

I find it really speaks badly about the fanbase when they get bent out of shape when people don't wish to be labeled as a brony and speaks volumes about how "progressive" they truly are if they feel it's okay to force labels onto others regardless of how they feel about said labels. It ironically just aids in encouraging negative stereotypes of bronies. Sorry, but the negative stereotypes of your fandom making people not wanting to be a part of your fandom is not going to be solved by forcing people into it.

(edited)

That's very loaded don't you think?

Not one damn bit. When people say "I'm an FIM fan, but not a brony," that's exactly what they're actually saying. They're telling other people, particularly ones who have no idea what a brony is, that there's something inherently bad about bronydom and how "you're a better fan than them." No one fan is better than another. Claiming "I'm a fan of FIM, but I'm not a brony" is an elitist, separatist attitude that deserves nothing except be called out and questioned.

Even in other fandoms such as Doctor Who, not EVERYONE is considered a Whovian.

That's just as wrong, too. "Whovian" and "Dr. Who fan" are as interchangeable as "Brony" and "FIM fan," and the same goes for the other categories. What I say to brony separatists apply to Whovian separatists as well as the "Trekkers."

I'm sorry that you feel offended by me not accepting a title that is optional, but I find it offensive that you feel the right to force that title onto people, and ironically in doing so you are part of the negative stereotype that people do not like about bronies.

It ironically just aids in encouraging negative stereotypes of bronies. Sorry, but the negative stereotypes of your fandom making people not wanting to be a part of your fandom is not going to be solved by forcing people into it.

Actually, the opposite is far more true. Bronies fight hard to dispel the stereotypes. By claiming, "I'm not one of those fans," you're giving validity to the stereotypes, which affect the separatists as equally as the non-separatists. The second you imply how you're not one of "those fans," you perpetuate the stereotypes far more accurately than the rowdier bronies you try (and fail) to separate yourselves from.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

That's very loaded don't you think? You're putting a lot of implications into something, and it sounds like you are trying to enforce the title on those who do not want it because you feel personally offended when others do not wish to have it like you do. Some people choose not to have it because they just don't feel like they are strong enough fans to warrant it. Even in other fandoms such as Doctor Who, not EVERYONE is considered a Whovian. If I think a show is okay that does not instantly turn me into a fan. Hell, I have Family Guy on from time to time because it's "okay" but I wouldn't even consider myself a fan of that show.

Right? I find it funny how when I'm talking to a self identified Whovian about how I watch and enjoy Doctor Who, and then I tell them I don't consider myself a Whovian they don't care and accept it. They're like "Oh, okay. That's fine!" and the fandom title stuff never gets brought up again.

Bronies are so gung-ho with this stupid fandom title that I agree with you in that it only furthers the negative stereotypes.

• Brohoof 8

mlpwoodwinds.jpg

I find it really speaks badly about the fanbase when they get bent out of shape when people don't wish to be labeled as a brony and speaks volumes about how "progressive" they truly are if they feel it's okay to force labels onto others regardless of how they feel about said labels. It ironically just aids in encouraging negative stereotypes of bronies. Sorry, but the negative stereotypes of your fandom making people not wanting to be a part of your fandom is not going to be solved by forcing people into it.

I definitely agree with you, it never worked out for the furry fandom, who constructed a reputation of using the same maneuver.

• Brohoof 1

@@Dark Qiviut, I find it rather ironic that you are proposing this argument really. As your profile insists you base your opinions on sound logic and common sense, and not emotion yet it's clear here that you are basing your argument on personal opinion on a word with no definitive definition and emotion. It's very clear that you are personally offended by people not wearing the title of brony because you feel it is dismissing the fandom for its negative connotations, even though not every person who chooses not to wear said title is doing so for that reason.

It's ironic because your opinion is not really based upon anything other than your personal opinion, yet you insist you come only from a place of logic, and do not appear to be accepting of any opinion that is not your own even if they are based off of logic.

Logically speaking: Brony has no definitive definition. This is fact. Brony is a subjective term, there is no disputing that. Its definition varies from person to person. That means claiming to have a definite definition is ignoring facts and instead replacing them with your opinion. Therefore your argument holds no logic, and is not sound in any regard.

I appreciate a good debate as much as anyone else, but this is hardly debatable. You have not presented any real evidence to suggest that your opinion should be regarded as more than opinion. You have no real logic behind it beyond "this is my interpretation". Sorry, but no dice. You need a more sound construct than that to convince anyone.

As it stands: forcing a title onto people who do not want it is rude, and obnoxious.

I like watching the show, but I do not call myself a brony. Honestly, I don't really care much about fandom labels, but I will not mind if someone says I am a brony.

"Fairy tales are more than true, not because they tell us that dragons exist;

but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."

~ G. K. Chestertonsig-34493.Do4gzZF.png

(edited)

Ok I'll try and explain this, bare with me.

We are all fighting over what it means to be a "Brony", since the definition is so obscure that my cat could be a "Brony." The problem being some people don't want to be called a "Brony" for one reason or another. Why is this a problem, you might ask? Because it indirectly reinforces multiple negative stereotypes AND it divides the community to some degree.

The only reason this is an argument is because some people put the community, and everyone in it, ahead of themselves, so they adopt the name to be a positive influence. People really care about this community, because it's fun, generally nice, and networking/making friends is easy. Some would go to ends of the universe to keep the community going, and it's these people who willingly use the name "Brony."

This is where the impasse lies. No one here is wrong. It's an impossible situation where no one can win. The people who want to be just fans, can be just fans, but it's important to note that since you aren't a "Brony", you're creating (or maybe it was always here) a community that isn't in line with everyone else. To an outsider this makes it seem like "Bronies" are literally the creeps, who clop and do other mischievous things. While the "MLP fans" are the "normal" casual people.

In the end, it all comes down to what the individual wants.

Edited by Dark Rider
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
Not one damn bit. When people say "I'm an FIM fan, but not a brony," that's exactly what they're actually saying.

Actually no, I say it because I do not personally feel I am at a level of fan to classify myself as one. Nothing to do with the rep of the fandom. You are just putting words into people's mouths.

That's just as wrong, too. "Whovian" and "Dr. Who fan" are as interchangeable as "Brony" and "FIM fan," and the same goes for the other categories. What I say to brony separatists apply to Whovian separatists as well as the "Trekkers."

Well good for you, you're someone who forces titles onto people, does not make it true. I know plenty of Whovians and Trekkies who do not force the title onto others who do not identify as such. You're still not really creating a sound argument.

ctually, the opposite is far more true. Bronies fight hard to dispel the stereotypes.

How is that working out for you? Because right now all you've accomplished is making me think less of the title "brony" because you are forcing it onto people who do not want it.

By claiming, "I'm not one of those fans," you're giving validity to the stereotypes, which affect the separatists as equally as the non-separatists. The second you imply how you're not one of "those fans," you perpetuate the stereotypes far more accurately than the rowdier bronies you try (and fail) to separate yourselves from.

Actually not really. Once again: not everyone doesn't claim the title because they are not trying to be "not one of those fans", they simply just don't want the title. You insisting that they must don the title is sort of making you "one of those fans" that you do not want people to see you as. The only one failing here is yourself in constructing an argument that is sound, based upon facts, evidence or any kind of reasoning.

So far your argument is coming off mostly as anger about the fact that people will not adhere to your will.

Your argument is failing to impress.

Edited by Guest

(edited)

@@Lunaris Adamantine, You are objectively wrong. There's no such thing as a "brony club." "Brony" is nothing more than a fan of Friendship Is Magic, period. To claim they're not synonymous is to believe the lie that there's something exclusive about being a brony. The reality is there's no exclusivity. Bronydom isn't something you need an accepted invitation — figuratively or actually — to go to. Bronydom isn't inherently a convention that requires you to pay for a visit, either. Secondly, your suggestion creates an unfortunate implication that there's a very negative stigma about the concept of "brony." That being a fan of FIM is an inherently bad thing. A negative stigma that creates further division in this fandom and only exists through eyes that trick others, including themselves.

Plus, just because you don't interact with the fandom personally doesn't mean you're not in the fandom. A fandom is a collection of fans. By being a fan/brony, you're already interacting with the fandom passively. Why? Because you're expressing a liking for FIM in some way.

It's just a label, a word. If one doesn't want to be called a brony, others should respect that. I choose to proudly carry the brony label however, Tara is an awesome queen :D

By claiming, "I'm not one of those fans," you're giving validity to the stereotypes, which affect the separatists as equally as the non-separatists. The second you imply how you're not one of "those fans," you perpetuate the stereotypes far more accurately than the rowdier bronies you try (and fail) to separate yourselves from.

Many feel that these rowdier bronies don't deserve to be associated in the same group they are in. So if they want to separate themselves from them, they are completely justified. Because of these rowdier bronies, many people feel that most of us are that way and are trying to corrupt a children's cartoon.

Edited by Adachi
  • Brohoof 1

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.” — Mark Twain

Maybe this is one of the reasons the OP doesn't want to be labeled a brony?  I think a lot of people are being a little too hard on the guy. Do you call the females that don't want to be called pegasisters that also?

Not trying to push any buttons but there is a trend of some bronies using thier little subtle ways to "attack" others that don't agree with them. I'm talking about in general, not just on this site.

ezgif-1595445355.gif

"They say I got sas."