Recommend me a really scary book

Biggybrony

So guys, I want you to recommend me a genuinely scary book.

I like to read. I don't read as much as I should but I do enjoy it. Growing up I enjoyed the 'Demonata' series by Darren Shan and recently delved into 'Call Of C'thulu and Other Weird Tales' followed by Mary Shelly's Frankenstein. The 'Demonata' series always came with a message on the back of the book saying 'Warning: Seriously Scary', H.P.Lovecraft is considered a forefather of modern horror and is the influence behind classic horror games like 'Eternal Darkness' and 'Amnesia' while Frankenstein is considered a landmark of the genre help along by the Universal film of the same name.

The problem is, to me, none of these are actually scary. The Demonata basically describes a lot of gore and the actual scariness of anything described I just got used to while reading. Lovecraft's stories, while weird and well thought out with a rich back story, didn't illicit any actual fear from me. 'A Shadow Over Innsmouth' came close but still didn't do it while a lot of his stuff I found very underwhelming. Frankenstein I'm enjoying but so far it's not a horror story, it's a drama.

Now, I'm aware I'm not especially well-read. My personal library is small and my list of finished books as an adult is thin. However, enough novels have had me feel sadness, intrigue, joy, wonder and excitement but yet have any made me feel genuine fear the way games and movies have. You can't jump-scare in a book but then even games like Silent Hill 2, which focus more on psychological aspects, make me feel more sadness than actual horror.

So go on then bronies, have at you. Do your worst. Show me the most terrifying book you have ever read. Not spooky, HORRIFYING! Make me wince. Make me cry.

No, I've never read any Stephen King. What's his most horrible? What's his scariest? How do I avoid his complete nonsense like 'The Langoliers'?

I'm not a medical expert, psychologist, psychiatrist, teacher or love doctor. Take my words with a pinch of salt, yeah?

I am an experienced cook, musician and care worker though, so that's something.

I am a huge fan of horror, though I'm not a big fan of reading. I'm more of a movie guy. I have just read a few horror books, around 10 or so but I gotta give it to The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum, hands down. When it comes to Stephen King I personally liked IT and The Shining the most but most people I've talked to says The Stand is his best. I haven't read it myself.

img-2823101-1-UpBh15J.png

scary-stories-to-tell-in-the-dark-covers

You don't gotta read these to get scared. You just have to look inside.

Gosh dang it, who thought these books were "elementary school friendly".

When someone says "nightmarish imagery" these books come to mind.

In all seriousness tho, I don't know any actual good horror books, but I felt like it was a good time to talk about those.

• Brohoof 1

Man, Goosebumps is the way to go. SO SCARE.

Honestly, I can't really think of any truly scary books - but a series that was eerie was "The Wyrd Museum" trilogy by Robin Jarvis. Not scary, but creepy.

Vh9PDd9.png

I hope some people get the joke ^^

sig-3959948.scary-stories-to-tell-in-the

You don't gotta read these to get scared. You just have to look inside.

Gosh dang it, who thought these books were "elementary school friendly".

When someone says "nightmarish imagery" these books come to mind.

In all seriousness tho, I don't know any actual good horror books, but I felt like it was a good time to talk about those.

Those illustrations still scare me as an adult.
  • Brohoof 1