Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Game Development and Design Major

Cherry_Bloom

Hello every pony! I'm a game development and design student at southern new Hampshire university online. I'm currently only studying my required classes such as English math science and the like so I have zero experience in design. I was hoping someone on here could be my tutor. Teach me. Tell me what programs I need for 2d and 3d and help me learn to use them. I would appreciate it so much.

• Brohoof 1

Hello @Cherry_Bloom,

Your topic seems to be seeking assistance with game development. As such, I've moved it from Video & Animation to Other Art Help.

• 5 weeks later...

If you are getting into game design then you should learn both JavaScript as well as C#. The first programming language that 'clicked' for me was C++ and that is probably one of the better languages to start out with. It is very similar to both C# and JavaScript, the main deference is that JavaScript uses different keywords.

You need to know how to program for scripting and such, because a lot of the time you won't find exactly what you need online and you will have to make/code it yourself.

For example I made a game in Unity for a class project that incorporated both 1st and 3rd person, but I didn't want walls and such interfering with 3rd person so I wrote a script that automatically switched to 1st person when the 3rd person camera 'Collided' with an object. This is a rather simple example but it can be as complex as you like 

• 3 weeks later...

Codecademy is a great free site to start learning coding, by the way! 

But there are many other parts of game design, I personally studied game development and prefer the structure/story building and world building, but I also do some 3D design work.

What kinds of games do you want to design? Board games, video games, table top games? If it's video games, which seems to be what you're looking for, do you want in browser games or a download and play? Unity, as AppleCore suggested, is a good start for both of those. You can find plenty of youtube tutorials on it and it can be as simple or almost as complex as you want! Also, check humblebundle out every once in a while! I got a few game design engines for only $4 a couple month back!

Hope this helps!