Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Digital drawing

skysweep

Im looking to try my hand at digital drawing, but I kinda realised that any kind of software like PaintTool SAI doesnt work well with mouses or trackpads.

So I am looking for any advice. Should I get a drawing stylus/tablet/both(If so, any recommendations on what brand and type, try not to go premium stuff, I am just starting for the very first time and dont have lots of money to throw around), or does anyone have any techniques to use the mouse or trackpad to draw lines that dont look like seismic readouts? Thanks

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Heh... You sound like you're in the boat I was in 2 months ago before I got my tablet. :P

I would say that, if you are just beginning and are in the market for a pen tablet of some sort, I would definitely recommend the one I got:

https://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/CTH680/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw58ytBRDMg-HVn4LuqasBEiQAhPkhuujaufjpf9TBq_c7J3sYu5QcF9gTDu9jHXLsfSL-jeQaAiK98P8HAQ

^^That's the one I got, and, for someone like me who was, and still relatively is a total beginner kinda, this thing has been serving its purpose quite well. :fluttershy: That's just the $200 one too, there's a smaller version of it as well for $100. Though I'd say also look into any of the other Intuos or Bamboo tablets too, you might find something better suited for you.

Like Alpha Hedge said, just also look around online or on Wacom's store or something, you'll find all sorts of cool tablets and stuff. :yay:

Oh, and also, if you are wondering how to work your mouse well for drawing...... Well, really the simple answer is, it's kind of impossible if you are wanting to do something such as painting or something, but... You can use something like the pen tool or something in Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape or something to make some pretty good vectors. Vectoring like that can be pretty controllable with a mouse.

Edited by Nick1925

If you are looking to use your mouse only for digital art, I recommend that you try vector art as you merely plot the points using your mouse and readjust them to your liking.

Tablets with a stylus pen is suited to those who literally paints an art piece together and is better at just drawing without much help. If your hand drawing is good, a tablet may be better.

Thanks guys.

One more thing to ask, what software would you recommend to use?

Since I am a student in Design, I have access to adobe softwares. If you can get them, try illustrator for vector and photoshop for tablet drawing. As for free alternative, I am sure you have known a lot for photoshop but for illustrator:

http://www.onextrapixel.com/2011/03/15/10-best-alternatives-to-adobe-illustrator/

One more thing to ask, what software would you recommend to use?

I'd say for beginners (I'm a beginner myself) Paint Tool SAI is pretty good so I'd say just get a tablet and keep using SAI, but the software Negativa recommended you is damn amazing (one can make vectors with a beautiful quality on Illustrator... and lots of more stuff, of course), so if you can, give it a try!

If you're looking forward to make painting-style art, I truly recommend Photoshop.