Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do not sculpt without a reference

Phoenix Flair

So I've been wanting to do an Apple Bloom Sculpt for a while.  I love her bow, and I thought her flat, whorled mane presented an interesting challenge.  As I was about to attempt this project, though, my computer informed me it was low on battery.  I was too lazy to get the charger, and I figured "Hey, I know what Apple Bloom looks like, it will be fine!"

post-28429-0-39313700-1438116197.jpg

It was not. 

Somehow my brain got completely confused on the actual appearance of the original CCC, and ended up creating these bulgy dread-lock things instead of the actual gorgeously pooled mane I was going for.  The tail is also similarly affected.

post-28429-0-23450200-1438116204.jpg

I don't hate the sculpt.  I actually think it looks kind of nice.  It just doesn't look like Apple Bloom very much.  And it could have all been prevented by just having a picture of the pony at hand, instead of getting cocky about my clearly inferior memory.

post-28429-0-39495700-1438116191.jpg

Note to self: do not sculpt without a reference.

• Brohoof 5

Hello @Phoenix Flair,

I've moved your topic from Fan Art to Other Fanworks. Fan Art is more focused towards the completion of digital and traditional art, while Other Fanworks focus on anything that isn't visual art/music/fanfiction. :)

• Brohoof 2