Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc [CLOSED] Whisper: The City of Darkness (Exploration, Horror, Action/Adventure)

Once In A Blue Moon

@@Ethan Sawyer,@@Chip Circuit

(The below capabilities are those that have already been used, I have notes for more as well as an attitude of flexibility in what Zayoh can learn to do. There are similar lists for all other characters.)

It depends on what Zayoh is doing. At all times Zayoh is immune to magic (of all types) and if he concentrates then he can expand this 'magical null zone' to cover a larger area around himself. In this case, all magic within this zone ceases and none can be cast - be it unicorn magic, pegasus flight, magical items or 'tarot powers' (Bramble, having speed-related tarot powers, is slowed to normal speeds by this, other characters are also affected in different ways depending on their powers but all generally feel less able and slightly colder.)

Zayoh is also able to 'dampen' magic in the area around him - depending on how hard he tries, it makes spells less effective and generally reduces the power of all magic (so flying is harder but still possible, levitation works but is more sluggish and can cut out for a split second every so often, etc.)

Interesting. I can see something happening if Scarlett gets near this.

I imagine Lavender's chaos magic is immune to Zayoh's magic dampening? :wacko:

CHAOS CONTROL

Heu.

Anyway, night all!

Remember all chaos magic fizzled when he was meditating on surrounding ding the group in this null aura :P

I can see Zayoh being rather secluded from the group with having the ability to nullify magic :P

You'll notice that it will have the most effect on Scarlett, for reasons yet undisclosed.

@@Chip Circuit,@@Unicorncob,@@Ethan Sawyer,@@Blacklight.

RP is now running again, although I remain busy and it won't be going as quickly until after Christmas.

To explain the 'OOC - [character name]' system, I send additional information that a character might know, insights they might have, as well as assorted other things relevant to just their character, to the character's player in a PM. This does not replace the public OOC thread, as its main goal is to give a character information that they can use, reveal or keep secret (as seems appropriate) without revealing it to other players. As an example of this, if you've read the sections of the RP after Zayoh joins, you will see that magic becomes less effective - the way I introduced Zayoh's tarot power meant that I asked various questions about how Zayoh reacted to various feelings and instincts, and applied the consequences without making it clear what was happening, which I hope increased the sense of mystery and foreboding. Not everything will be that underhanded, but this system allows me to do things like that.

• Brohoof 1

RP is now running again, although I remain busy and it won't be going as quickly until after Christmas.

To explain the 'OOC - [character name]' system, I send additional information that a character might know, insights they might have, as well as assorted other things relevant to just their character, to the character's player in a PM. This does not replace the public OOC thread, as its main goal is to give a character information that they can use, reveal or keep secret (as seems appropriate) without revealing it to other players. As an example of this, if you've read the sections of the RP after Zayoh joins, you will see that magic becomes less effective - the way I introduced Zayoh's tarot power meant that I asked various questions about how Zayoh reacted to various feelings and instincts, and applied the consequences without making it clear what was happening, which I hope increased the sense of mystery and foreboding. Not everything will be that underhanded, but this system allows me to do things like that.

I can tell this is a rather strict rp.

I like it.

• Brohoof 1

I still have effectively no idea what my power is, but whatever. :P

In any case, I can start participating again! (sporadically until January.)

I'll see if I can make a post today.

• Brohoof 1

RP is now running again, although I remain busy and it won't be going as quickly until after Christmas.   To explain the 'OOC - [character name]' system, I send additional information that a character might know, insights they might have, as well as assorted other things relevant to just their character, to the character's player in a PM. This does not replace the public OOC thread, as its main goal is to give a character information that they can use, reveal or keep secret (as seems appropriate) without revealing it to other players. As an example of this, if you've read the sections of the RP after Zayoh joins, you will see that magic becomes less effective - the way I introduced Zayoh's tarot power meant that I asked various questions about how Zayoh reacted to various feelings and instincts, and applied the consequences without making it clear what was happening, which I hope increased the sense of mystery and foreboding. Not everything will be that underhanded, but this system allows me to do things like that.

Now this is something I can get behind. Also, I should be able to make a post sometime later today.  

• Brohoof 1

After having read the entire OOC thread, this seems interesting.  Tomorrow I will try to read through the in character thread and see exactly how it's all going down, and see if I will definitely join, but I'm thinking that I will.  Most likely I will create a new OC, but just to clarify, would a hippogriff be an acceptable species?  If so I may use my newest OC, rather than creating a new one.

First up, I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas.

@@Unicorncob,@@Chip Circuit,@@Blacklight,@@Ethan Sawyer,@@Orion Caelum.

I'll be moving the RP on in about 24 hours - so last chance for characters to make introductions and to meet / greet / mingle with the other characters. I would encourage plenty of interactions with other characters, as it reveals more about each characters as well as producing good character development.

@.

Ok, I'll send you a PM. I will say this bit publicly though, for the benefit of anyone else who might read this; if you want an unusual species, such as a hippogriff, then be sure that it serves a purpose for the character. Equestria has become a more suspicious and intolerant place, and so non-pony species are much less common than they used to be. I will discuss this with you further in the PM.

THE RP IS NOW FULL (IF SOMEONE COULD TELL ME HOW TO CHANGE THE TAG TO 'CLOSED', THAT WOULD BE GREAT.)

If you are interested in joining, please PM me - spaces may come up, for player characters and significant NPCs both. Someone to bounce ideas off would be handy too (similar the role of editor when writing a novel. This would preclude joining the RP as a player character, however.)  

Edited by Once In A Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 1

First up, I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas.

@@Unicorncob,@@Chip Circuit,@@Blacklight,@@Ethan Sawyer,@@Orion Caelum.

I'll be moving the RP on in about 24 hours - so last chance for characters to make introductions and to meet / greet / mingle with the other characters. I would encourage plenty of interactions with other characters, as it reveals more about each characters as well as producing good character development.

I need to think of something to write. 

• Brohoof 1

@@Ethan Sawyer,@@Unicorncob, @@Orion Caelum, @@Blacklight, @@Chip Circuit.

Firstly, I would encourage everyone to keep talking with each other. Don't forget to 'mention' or 'quote' the player whose character your character is talking to - otherwise they might miss it (I check every post, but that goes with the job.) See the end of the post for more on this.

Secondly, I'm sorry if things are a bit linear and out-of-control at the moment - I promise more options are coming up. And on that subject, I would encourage everyone to think creatively about how their character would react to the events that has happened and how they will achieve their goals - I do not mind if a character does something that I don't expect them to do, and it will probably make the story more interesting as long as it is believably 'in-character.' Creative players are a huge boon for a GM, and if the events that I have set in motion are completely altered by characters who do something unexpected and yet (in hindsight) so obvious from their perspective then I will be delighted.

Third, a word on mechanics. There are set events that are going to happen (or at least, try to happen) over the course of the RP (this one at least is of a fixed length, for reasons that shall be made clear) and the characters can alter them as they happen as well as have an effect after a given event has happened that changes the ultimate outcome. And I will say that one of the 'ultimate outcomes' for this RP is labelled 'apocalypse', so it is in everyone's best interests to change events to best suit their character (or some higher ideal that their character believes in) as if matters are not taken in hand then nasty things will happen.

Finally, do feel free to plan out an interaction your character and another player's character will have in advance - either a PM or in the public OOC. If you have a vague idea what is going to happen (and it need only be vague) then you can have said exchanges in fewer posts, which keeps things ticking along at a good pace. Natural dialogue is often shorter than posts are allowed to be, so a bit of 'meta-gaming' to keep posts interesting and of a good length. On that subject, here is a some relevant information about various characters that could lead to good conversations:

1. Scarlett (@@Ethan Sawyer) is interested in what happened in Ponyville. Any character that was in Ponyville could explain the situation.
2. Cura (@@Blacklight) is interested in working in medicine, and aspires to start an aid organisation. If only there were some ponies in need of help, or others who had medical skills and similar interests.
3. Lavender (@@Unicorncob) has two almost identical clones following her and regularly talks to herself. Enough said.
4. Wilhelm (@@Orion Caelum) is a very knowledgeable chap, and knows Dr Tome (as well as many other leading scholars.) If he's not a pony with a plan already, then he probably knows something that can be worked into a plan.
5. Zayoh (@@Chip Circuit) is a mysterious cloaked figure who talks in rhymes, and is knowledgeable in matters of alchemy and spirits (the elemental 'spirits of water, stone, fire' and whatnot, as opposed to the alcoholic variety.) And the officer called him a zebra too. 

If at any point you think that your character should know something relevant, do message me in 'OOC - [name] (Whisper-city of darkness)' with the question and I will try to give the relevant information. Don't be afraid to make things up, though - if you think that your character knows somepony who could help, or of some ancient legend that might be relevant, or anything like that, do feel free to make it up (so long as it roughly fits with what has already been said, I will work with it.) 
  • Brohoof 1

@@Ethan Sawyer,@@Unicorncob, @@Orion Caelum, @@Blacklight, @@Chip Circuit.

Firstly, I would encourage everyone to keep talking with each other. Don't forget to 'mention' or 'quote' the player whose character your character is talking to - otherwise they might miss it (I check every post, but that goes with the job.) See the end of the post for more on this.

Secondly, I'm sorry if things are a bit linear and out-of-control at the moment - I promise more options are coming up. And on that subject, I would encourage everyone to think creatively about how their character would react to the events that has happened and how they will achieve their goals - I do not mind if a character does something that I don't expect them to do, and it will probably make the story more interesting as long as it is believably 'in-character.' Creative players are a huge boon for a GM, and if the events that I have set in motion are completely altered by characters who do something unexpected and yet (in hindsight) so obvious from their perspective then I will be delighted.

Third, a word on mechanics. There are set events that are going to happen (or at least, try to happen) over the course of the RP (this one at least is of a fixed length, for reasons that shall be made clear) and the characters can alter them as they happen as well as have an effect after a given event has happened that changes the ultimate outcome. And I will say that one of the 'ultimate outcomes' for this RP is labelled 'apocalypse', so it is in everyone's best interests to change events to best suit their character (or some higher ideal that their character believes in) as if matters are not taken in hand then nasty things will happen.

Finally, do feel free to plan out an interaction your character and another player's character will have in advance - either a PM or in the public OOC. If you have a vague idea what is going to happen (and it need only be vague) then you can have said exchanges in fewer posts, which keeps things ticking along at a good pace. Natural dialogue is often shorter than posts are allowed to be, so a bit of 'meta-gaming' to keep posts interesting and of a good length. On that subject, here is a some relevant information about various characters that could lead to good conversations:

1. Scarlett (@@Ethan Sawyer) is interested in what happened in Ponyville. Any character that was in Ponyville could explain the situation.
2. Cura (@@Blacklight) is interested in working in medicine, and aspires to start an aid organisation. If only there were some ponies in need of help, or others who had medical skills and similar interests.
3. Lavender (@@Unicorncob) has two almost identical clones following her and regularly talks to herself. Enough said.
4. Wilhelm (@@Orion Caelum) is a very knowledgeable chap, and knows Dr Tome (as well as many other leading scholars.) If he's not a pony with a plan already, then he probably knows something that can be worked into a plan.
5. Zayoh (@@Chip Circuit) is a mysterious cloaked figure who talks in rhymes, and is knowledgeable in matters of alchemy and spirits (the elemental 'spirits of water, stone, fire' and whatnot, as opposed to the alcoholic variety.) And the officer called him a zebra too. 

If at any point you think that your character should know something relevant, do message me in 'OOC - [name] (Whisper-city of darkness)' with the question and I will try to give the relevant information. Don't be afraid to make things up, though - if you think that your character knows somepony who could help, or of some ancient legend that might be relevant, or anything like that, do feel free to make it up (so long as it roughly fits with what has already been said, I will work with it.) 

Just as a side note, Wilhelm does have a plan, but at the moment, it involves jumping out of a window and flying away.

...He'll need another one, I'm guessing.

• Brohoof 1

Just as a side note, Wilhelm does have a plan, but at the moment, it involves jumping out of a window and flying away.   ...He'll need another one, I'm guessing.

Sorry if I skipped too much in the last post, but when nobody posted anything else I decided that it was best to keep things moving at a good pace.

I literally have no idea what this rp is about, or what I'm supposed to be doing.

What's the point of having an IQ above 170 if your memory is so damn bad.

But I shall think of something!

The group was ushered onto the bus again, and Hayfield took the driver's seat. The going was slow, with several diversions around crowds that were too thick to try and drive the bus through, but eventually the bus reached the entrance to castle where it was waved through by one of the guards. The castle had originally been a beautiful limestone palace, designed more for aesthetic satisfaction than for defence, but since the King took power its security had been modernised, with anti-climb spikes on the walls and searchlights mounted in makeshift guard towers. Galvanised steel featured heavily in the newer additions, with many of the more delicate architectural features either removed or shored up with concrete blocks and steel girders,  and the old wooden doors replaced by thick steel ones with locks and interior bolts. Flags and banners bearing the King's black-and-red heraldry flew everywhere, whilst over the entrance to the castle were engraved the words:
ORDER WILL PREVAIL.

There was a fair bit of activity inside the castle walls, with dozens of guards of varying ranks to-ing and fro-ing between offices, guardhouses and superiors. Nonetheless, there was order in the chaos, and as soon as the passengers disembarked they were shown into a waiting room. Two armed guards stood at the door, and Scarlett was still with them, but it was a far cry from a cell in the castle's dungeon.

Didn't this get pushed too far? Like, really fast? We didn't even get any time on the "bus" or any walking. Is it just me?

Didn't this get pushed too far? Like, really fast? We didn't even get any time on the "bus" or any walking. Is it just me?

Yes, that was quite a shift, but nobody had posted anything for several days (when I had made my previous post) and since the bus ride was earmarked for talking, a lack of talking meant that I skipped over it (the moment before being loaded onto the bus would have been the moment to escape.) The reason I wanted to keep things rolling was because the Christmas / post Christmas period is the most 'dangerous' for an RP just stopping (both the others I am technically still a part of have just stopped) and I wanted to avoid that.

From a mechanical standpoint the waiting room serves the same purpose as the bus ride (an option to talk or think with a known major event on the horizon) and by presenting the bus ride and the walk into the castle as a single uninterrupted post I could indulge in some world-building, which should help set the scene and establish the world that the characters are in (especially for the newer players.) I would also hope that it inspires curiosity about the world, which would drive the RP forwards.

I literally have no idea what this rp is about, or what I'm supposed to be doing. What's the point of having an IQ above 170 if your memory is so damn bad. But I shall think of something!

From the simplest standpoint, the RP is about stopping the daemonic invasion. An army of 'zombies' is being massed in Ponyville, ready to conquer the world for its daemonic master. Finding out how to stop it, forming a plan and then executing said plan would be the stated objective if this were a computer RPG in the style of Dragon Age or similar.

• Brohoof 2

Yes, that was quite a shift, but nobody had posted anything for several days (when I had made my previous post) and since the bus ride was earmarked for talking, a lack of talking meant that I skipped over it (the moment before being loaded onto the bus would have been the moment to escape.) The reason I wanted to keep things rolling was because the Christmas / post Christmas period is the most 'dangerous' for an RP just stopping (both the others I am technically still a part of have just stopped) and I wanted to avoid that.

From a mechanical standpoint the waiting room serves the same purpose as the bus ride (an option to talk or think with a known major event on the horizon) and by presenting the bus ride and the walk into the castle as a single uninterrupted post I could indulge in some world-building, which should help set the scene and establish the world that the characters are in (especially for the newer players.) I would also hope that it inspires curiosity about the world, which would drive the RP forwards.

From the simplest standpoint, the RP is about stopping the daemonic invasion. An army of 'zombies' is being massed in Ponyville, ready to conquer the world for its daemonic master. Finding out how to stop it, forming a plan and then executing said plan would be the stated objective if this were a computer RPG in the style of Dragon Age or similar.

True and nice.

• Brohoof 1

Apologies for the delay - some time I should have spent planning this RP I spent on a rather ambitious plan for an RPG I'm running in real life. For the record it worked well, but it was a one-off so this won't be a regular occurrence, and I have ambitious plans for this RP as well.

@ has said that they will be a bit busy and so won't be able to join the RP - for now at least. However, I have heard from @@ForthEorl, who has expressed an interest in joining. My plan is to run a cap of six players, so they will be number six (the cap may increase as I become more confident, but I'm going to stick with six for now - eight tabs and a word documents are quite enough to keep track of for the time being.)

• Brohoof 1