Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private Sombra's Shadow

Pucksterv

@@Pripyat Pony

Rave had materialized in his own room. He felt dizzy. He knew it was from Blackforest's interference. 

"Weakling" the voice in his head whispered. 

"We shall see". He then remembered Jinx's message. He decided to send her a reply.

The new spell sounds very interesting, I will be over with you in a moment. 

With that, Rave's horn glowed and he vanished, appearing in front of Jinx. "You asked for my presence?" he grinned. 

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

@@Randimaxis

"But when your carelessness gets somepony killed, I won't have time for your tears."

That last part really hurt Trivy more than she had expected. A small tear rolled over her cheek but she did not show it. She continued to walk, away from Harcourt.

@,

"Thank you kindly ma'am but I think I already had enough cider. Had I not been drunk, I would have been able to stay in that tower." And with that, the guard was ran off, continuing his journey towards the Crystal Empire.

Edited by Pucksterv
  • Brohoof 2

@@Pucksterv,

A responsible drunkard soldier. How intriguing.

Lilith started to walk back to her camp, doing some math in her head as she returned to pack up her things. Now she had their general location... with a smile, she glanced at the trigger words she had inked into the back of her forelegs in a traditional ranger's calligraphy. It would appear to be an oath or vow to non-rangers, and on the rare occasion she met another one that was familiar with the script, chances are the words would be gibberish or, at best, coincidental or accurate. Rangers explored most of the forests, anyways, it was appropriate to have words of mapping and exploration on her, anyways.

Moving relatively quickly, she doused the fire, scattered the ashes, took a drink from the canteen, and moved on quickly, leaving nothing behind to show that anyone had been here except a very fine layer of ash on the ground.

And soon, the wind would destroy even that little evidence.

((Puck, when you feel my entrance is appropriate, mention me.))

• Brohoof 2

@@JonasDarkmane, Jinx smiled as Rave materialised in front of her, showing no surprise. She was used to him showing up unannounced. "Of course," she replied. "You see, I have developed this very interesting spell and I feel the need to test it out on a suitable subject just so that I can observe first hoof what the results are. I have chosen as the test subject a rebellious slave who is currently residing in the cells. He attacked a guard and is awaiting a punishment exercise... however, I feel that this is an opportunity not to be missed and wish to test the spell on him. If he survives, he will be broken and will be more suitable as a slave emotionally speaking. If not... well, we have plenty of other slaves, after all."

Jinx used her magic to lift a scroll which she had used to write down her notes on the dark magic spell. She continued. "The spell works by forcing the subject to face their worst fears, their most terrifying nightmares, and their most desperate terrors, over and over again. There will be no escape; if they see a door in the vision that the spell visits upon them, it will either deny them entry or will simply send them back into their nightmare. I can also perform a side along spell which will allow us to view what the slave sees on a viewing panel."

She then waited to hear Rave's reply.

• Brohoof 1

@@Pripyat Pony

As Rave listened to Jinx's explanation, a sinister smile crept up his face. 

"I like the idea. It could prove to be very useful. I grant you the authority to get test subjects from among the rank of slaves. However, I must be notified each time you are going to test it on someone, I don't want any tests being conducted without my knowledge of it. As for this current subject, yes, you may use him for your test. I would like to see process as well". 

There were already tons of ideas floating through Rave's mind about the spell, the possibilities, the possible developments, the multiple available usages of it. 

• Brohoof 1

@@JonasDarkmane, "Then, that's settled," Jinx replied. She could hardly contain herself, wanting to perform the spell as soon as she could. "When would you think would be best to test the spell? And of course, I would like you to watch. It's always good to get another pony's view on a successful test."

• Brohoof 1

He jumped a bit as Melody came up next to him and spoke. He was expecting others to just think of him as a tag along, somepony to have for spare help. But it seemed at least one was kind enough to talk with him. "Uh, yeah... I guess your group kinda found me... Lucky that our paths crossed, otherwise I might not have survived much longer on my own..."

Harcourt sighed and tsk-tsked her. 

"You disappoint me, girl.  If that is all you gleaned from him, you're not retaining much.  Remember, a friend today could be the enemy of tomorrow..."

Isn't that right, Rave?  Luther had talked of working with House Darkmane long before Harcourt had left home - and hadn't had much to say when he'd come back.

"Now, let me show YOU what you've missed - or neglected to tell me."

He turned his keen eyes toward Psych, scanning him over for no more than five or six seconds before turning back to Trivy.  He then cleared his throat softly, and began speaking.

"He's walking on the outer edge of the group, which means he has an 'outsider' mentality - good to know, for he might enjoy a chance to prove himself.  He is thoroughly worn out, so he'll require rest tonight instead of standing watch.  His eyes look... blind?  Well, if that's the case, he won't be able to help us navigate... but his ears will probably be sharp as tacks.  Melody seems to be speaking to him at the moment, so it should be noted that he doesn't send out an eerie vibe to others - which is a GOOD thing, Trivy, as there are enough spooked ponies here already.  And THOSE observations are based only on what I see."

He shook his head sadly, then took a deep breath and nodded toward the pony talking to Psych.

"Now, YOU do the same for Melody... or I'll just keep picking ponies until you do it right.  What you observe can save your life."

Harcourt seemed firm about this.  He waited for her response.

his ears suddenly twitched as he heard somepony talking about him. "Well, you're definitely right about the great hearing!" He shouted and chuckled.
  • Brohoof 3

@@Pripyat Pony

Rave looked at Jinx, grinning. 

"Why, now would be the best time. My presence is not required elsewhere, so I would be very interested in seeing the outcome of the test" he said enthusiastically. "Please, do begin with your testings immediately" he said grinning enough that his sharp teeth were revealed. 

• Brohoof 2

@@JonasDarkmane, "In that case, let us head to the cell block straight away," Jinx replied, with a wicked grin. "I will just take a scroll with me, so that I can make notes on how the test turns out. I expect that it will be interesting viewing, whatever the result, but I still like to keep a record of all my tests."

• Brohoof 2

@@Count Paradox @@Pucksterv

Melody noticed his ears twitched and stepped aside a bit when he yelled. "R-Right..... " She said, and looked over at Harcourt and Trivy, noticing they were fighting. 

Oh no.... She thought with uneasiness... She couldn't shake the feeling that they were talking about her, even though she could not hear them. 

• Brohoof 2

Psych immediately noticed what he had done wrong. "S-sorry... I just... Forget nopony is used to my abilities... " he sighed and hung his head low again. "I didn't mean to frighten you, I was just trying to prove that pony's point..." He turned his head toward Melody. "I mean, I am blind after all, better hearing should come with that."

• Brohoof 2

Melody looked at Psych, surprised. "You're blind? O-oh.... i'm...so sorry... I didn't know..." She felt bad after what she did, she didn't know about his disability.... Her ears flopped down. 

"I didn't mean to get scared, it's just.... I've always had a hard time trusting ponies.... Even close friends....You never know when they can become enemies...." She sighed.

She went through her memories of friends who had turned against her after this war started. She remembered the pain and the sorrow she had for them... And knew their actions had led to their downfall. 

She thought about her parents, who were no longer here, but knew she needed to make up for their absence. She felt her cheek get warm, and gasped, realizing she had started to cry involuntarily.

She turned her head away from Psych, even though she knew he couldn't see her tears. Yet, she knew others could... and thus kept her mane over her tear stained eyes. She didn't want to seem weak, she wanted them to know she could help them in any way they need it. But crying was not a sign of strength to her. 

• Brohoof 2

"Hey, are you ok? Are you... Are you crying?" He moved closer to her and spread his sight. Indeed, he could sense the little rivers and trails left behind by her tears. "Hey, it's ok... It'll get better, trust me. I mean, aren't the rebels fighting to make things better? So come on, cheer up." He gave the most convincing smile he could, and discreetly wiped away a tear with his telepathy.

• Brohoof 2

"I-i'm ok!" Melody tried to scoot back before he could do anything, but she saw him come closer. She didn't want to show her fear, or her pain.... But she just couldn't help it, and she started shaking a ton.  

She listened to what he said, but kept silent. She looked up at him when he smiled, and tried to smile back, but had no such luck. 

She felt him wipe away the tear, and forced herself not to whimper, even though everything in her being wanted her to....

• Brohoof 1

@@JonasDarkmane, Jinx waited unemotionally in the room she had chosen to perform the spell, alongside Rave. She had already contacted the pony in charge of prisoners, and told him to send Bright Moon, the pony who'd attacked the guard and was awaiting punishment. While she waited for the designated test subject to appear, Jinx cast the view screen spell. A square appeared on the wall next to where Rave was standing; it looked rather like a mirror, save that the glass was at this moment, black.

"The viewing screen will activate once I cast the other spell," Jinx explained. "At the moment, it's showing nothing cuz it needs the other spell to begin. What it will show is exactly what the test subject is seeing once I put the spell on him. Anypony watching this room, and not viewing the screen, will just see him writhing around and screaming. But with this screen, we shall be able to view exactly what his worst fear and most terrifying nightmare are."

At that moment, the doors opened and a green pegasus mare with a brown mane and tail wearing a uniform with Sombra's insigna on it came in, dragging with her a pale blue unicorn stallion, with a white mane and tail. His cutie mark was a crescent moon; what his talent was, Jinx neither knew or cared. The prisoner had a dark red band around his horn; this was something which Jinx had created a while ago. It blocked the use of magic or flight, meaning that a unicorn prisoner or slave would be unable to use his or her magic to escape, and a pegasus would be unable to fly. All unicorn slaves wore one on their horns, and pegasi wore one around a fetlock.

The prison guard, as instructed by Jinx, left Bright Moon in front of Raze and Jinx, before leaving. Bright Moon glared defiantly at the two unicorns in front of him.

"It doesn't matter what you do to me," he spat at them. "Right will prevail! You will not rule Equestria forever!"

Jinx smiled, evilly. Her horn glowed with dark red magic, and a beam of the same colour shot out and hit Bright Moon between the eyes. The moment it did so, the viewing screen lit up.

"Now," Jinx said, her eyes gleaming with wicked joy, "The show begins."

{Ooc: Note, the italics are what is showing on the view screen. Anything that's happening to Bright Moon in real life will be in bold.}

Bright Moon shakily got to his hooves. He looked around, but both Rave and Jinx seemed to have disappeared. He was inside a small room, but could see nothing as it was utterly dark. As he looked, wondering just how he'd been transported here and where it was, lights came on. Candles were placed all around the room, and each one glowed with a sickly green flame. However, they gave out enough light to show Bright Moon his worst fear come to life. Snakes. All around him, of various types and sizes. Each one hissed, bared its fangs or simply rose up to sway in front of him. Eyes wide open in terror, Bright Moon attempted to step backwards, but found that there were snakes on the floor, as well.

Bright Moon shrieked in utter panic as his eyes roved around the bare room. He jumped as tho his hooves were on fire, and screamed again. Jinx laughed, knowing that Bright Moon was unable to hear her.

There was something wrapping around his hind legs... it was a snake the colour of the sickly candle flames. Desperately trying to kick it off, Bright Moon failed to notice the snakes that had fallen from the ceiling into his mane until one slithered across his face. He yelped in horror, shaking his head to shake loose the loathsome creatures. Then, turning around, he saw a door. Shaking his head the entire time, Bright Moon galloped as hard as he could, desperately trying to avoid stepping on the slithering reptiles that covered the entire floor, walls and ceiling of the room, until he reached the door. He pulled it open and shut it behind him, breathing hard.

Bright Moon lay on his side on the floor. He shook his head repeatedly, after giving another scream, and after that, whimpered in fear. His legs twitched.

This place was different. As far as Bright Moon could see, there was nothing but broken down buildings, with scorch marks on their walls and doors either kicked to matchwood or hanging crazily off one hinge. A sobbing filled the air. "Please, Bright Moon!" wailed the voice. "I'm frightened... please, please, help me!"

Bright Moon swung around, trying to place the location of the voice. "Dainty?" he said, in a voice that trembled. This was the voice of his sister, who had been killed when Sombra's shadows had attacked the village where he lived. A slight movement caught the corner of his eye, and Bright Moon turned just in time to see it. What he saw made his eyes wide with utter terror, and his hocks tremble. A corpse was pulling itself out of the dirt. Its bones were not white, but scorched black; wisps of white hair hung from its neck. The eyes were black, empty sockets with rivlets of blood trickling from them, and the jaws were wreathed in red ribbons, the exact same ones that Bright Moon's sister Dainty used to wear in her mane.

Staggering backwards, Bright Moon shivered all over. This wasn't how he wanted to remember his beautiful sister... this was a nightmare creature with the voice of Dainty. The corpse dragged itself free from its grave, the bony jaws with their dangling ribbons moved.

"Please, Bright Moon!" the voice pleaded. "I'm all alone; please join me in my grave. We can be together... forever, just like you promised."

Bright Moon tried to step further away, but found he was hemmed in by rocks. The skeletal creature, with its awful face and painfully familiar voice was closer. It flung its forelegs around Bright Moon, and dragged him into the earth even as he screamed and screamed without stopping.

Jinx watched with fiendish glee as Bright Moon lay on the floor, screaming with utter terror. The screams only stopped when, consumed by a fear that he had never even thought he'd ever experience, Bright Moon fainted.

• Brohoof 5

He could tell she was frightened of him. He could feel it. "I... I'm sorry..." He began backing away, again taking the far rear of the group, avoiding everypony in it. It seemed as though anywhere he went, ponies would be afraid of him, so he subjected himself to being alone and silent yet again.

• Brohoof 1

@@Pripyat Pony

Rave looked at the screen, seeing everything that Bright Moon saw. He was smiling malevolently. His right eye twitched, his sadistic side awaking. He was enjoying seeing the other in such emotional and mental pain. 

"Yes, it is working, it is working. This spell will come to great use Jinx, you have done great service for our King" he told her. 

He started to think about how he would use it on Princess Cadence if she had still been alive, but he knew that was not possible since she was dead, executed. He had even been the one to suggest the decision to Sombra, not wanting to take any risk having an usurper still alive. However, he had another target in mind.

"Excellent, most excellent" he said, mostly to himself

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

After walking through the forest for while to avoid the guard tower, everypony needed a break. Trivy sat down by a tree and opened up her saddle bag. She grabbed an apple and took a bite. She hadn't eaten in days so she needed it. A small filly sat down next to her. "You must be hungry too." Trivy said as she patted the filly on her head. "Here you go." Trivy cut the apple in half with her magic and gave it to the filly. 

(@, You can make your introduction now,if you want)

Edited by Pucksterv
  • Brohoof 2

@@Pucksterv@@Count Paradox,

It was not until she heard them that she thought that her mission would be successful. It was the rumble of a group of ponies settling down for a break- practiced and quiet, but, with even a few ponies, never silently. She stopped in her tracks as she heard it, quietly discerning the direction and volume of the noise, before quickly climbing a tree and quickly moving in the direction, with only a faint rattle that matched the very small gusts of wind that were slowly whispering to the world around. It took her a few minutes before she saw motion. Quietly moving forwards, she saw...

...a filly?

As she quietly stalked her way from branch to branch in the trees above, she crept up closer until she could see the group more clearly. There were quite a couple ponies in the group- roughly fifteen bodies, all told. But this was no mercenary group, no camp of rangers. They weren't even common townsfolk. From what she could see, in this group, maybe only four or five ponies looked combat-worthy. The rest were either mothers, fillies, or too old to fight. There was even a small stallion who had the tell-tale signs of being blind, with large, golden eyes, loitering near the rear of the group.

These aren't rebels. Refugees would be more accurate... As she continued to study the group, she remembered her old instructor, Quickleaf, talking about his experiences in a war that he had gone into to provide aid.  He had said that the two armies had destroyed most of the land, and that there were sometimes hordes of refugees who needed aid, food, and protection from bears and other wild animals. He had always said that you never felt so pressured to take risks when scavenging then when you knew ponies were going to go hungry because of it.

Lilith quietly took out her mapping orb and whispered, "Luu maa kra, sema," activating it's magic as she watched a lightly armored and cloaked mare- the resident spellcaster, it seemed- approach and, after taking a small bite of an apple, she gave it to the filly to eat. Lilith winced; she had never liked the rationing that came with the winter, and she was rather surprised that they were running low on food. Quietly opening her saddlebags- replacing the now slighly-glowing orb- she took out an apple and a shortsword. With a tiny cut into the tree, she took a small bead of sap and, combining it with her spit, created a weak adhesive. It would work for her purposes. Slowly applying the adhesive to the tip of the apple, she hung it slowly and stealthily above this armored mare, quietly moving away with the next breeze. The apple would stay attached long enough for her to get away and relocate. Then it would drop, hopefully landing on or in front of this pony, as Lilith worked her way further towards the front of the group.

((More incoming, figured I'd post this bit of exposition now as I conjure up the next part.))

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Trivy ears flinched back as she heard some rustling sound coming from the trees. She looked up quickly but saw nothing. "Must be my imagination.. again.." She leaned against the tree with her bag and took another bite of her apple. She grabbed the map from her bag and traced their path with her hoof. They had passed the guard tower by now which meant they could walk on the open road again. Harcourt would appreciate it as the mud and roots had only made it harder on him with him pulling the cart.

Edited by Pucksterv
  • Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis@@Sweet_Melody,

As Lilith continued to move forwards, through the trees, she saw two more ponies of note- one, seemingly distressed and scared (strangely reminding her of herself)- and then a pony, alternating between trying to fight his way out from a wagon harness and organizing the other ponies quietly. Lilith stopped here, intrigued. This pony was lightly armored, obviously hungry, but, yet, seemed to burn with some sort of internal fire- he knew he was right and that he was going to win, and that this was an inconvenience, but nothing more- they would succeed, even if they had to drive through Tartarus to get there.

This pony was a concern to Lilith- this pony and this pony alone was probably the pony who was keeping this all together. As there were other rebel threats in Equestria, all she probably needed to do was kill the leader and be gone like smoke... but then, she wouldn't be able to continue. And who could tell what would happen? They could scatter, or it could give them a martyr to band behind and become even a bigger threat. This stallion, she thought, is the one I need to talk to and find out more about before I think of what I should do that might blow my cover...

With that figured out, Lilith decided that being caught sneaking was the most worrying prospect- they would probably immediately think that she was a spy, and, although she could probably talk her way out of it, she didn't like the disadvantage she put herself in. Thus, she stuck her hoof into her bag, took out the leaf and arrow symbol that symbolized a forest ranger, and pinned it onto her cloak, where her cloak met near her throat. With that, she readjusted her cloak, threw up the hood, and silently dropped down from the trees onto a large root nearby. She walked into the small clearing and said, clearly but not loudly, "Hail, travelers."

• Brohoof 2

"... of course, Cornucopia; it's not a matter of keeping track of who gets what - food goes to whoever is hungry.  I appreciate the sentiment, but you don't have to worry about giving up your 'share'.  Everypony gets what they need.  You're a kind soul for being concerned, though - I thank you most graciously."

Harcourt gave the mare a smile.  She smiled back and trotted back over to the cart.  As soon as she faced away, the smile dropped from his face like a stone.  He had been dragging that cart for a number of miles, and he felt like every muscle in his body was crying tears of agony.  He felt like crying as well; he knew he'd have to go back to the job soon enough.  Glancing about, he made certain nopony was looking his way before lifting his hooves and examining the damage.

Three out of four hooves were actually bleeding, and the only reason the fourth one wasn't was the bent angle in the shoe - which was aching like a rotten tooth.  He winced at the sight.  New shoes - now there's a concept that appeals to me more than food right now.  I've been neglecting them for so long, but I suppose that they'll just have to keep.  After all, I don't think anypony in this group has even seen new shoes in years... and the young ones aren't even shod yet.  How are we ever going to make it if we can't even shoe our children?

Putting his aching hoof down, he glanced about and zeroed in on a filly.  He sighed deeply, wondering if she would ever grow up to know what shoes felt like and noticed she had half of a green apple.  He raised an eyebrow.  He'd only know of green apples being in the satchel of...

He saw Trivy leaning against a tree, studying her map.  Dark clouds rolled over his features, and he frowned.  

Too busy for my instructions.  No time for trying to prepare for what's to come.  Foolish girl; don't you understand that I won't be around forever?  Have you no thought of trying to learn what you can before this book of knowledge that I am closes forever?  So young, so stubborn.  So stuck with trying to survive that you have no time to actually thrive?  Ungrateful.  Undisciplined.  Uninformed.

He sighed.  Unimportant.  That last thought wasn't aimed at Trivy, though; he had spoken to himself about... himself.

"Hail, travelers."

Harcourt's head swiveled to meet the source of the greeting, and he saw a cloaked pony.  He was about to stand up to go full defense when he saw the leaf-and-arrow sigil.  Ranger?  There are still some of those left?  He instead slowly got to his bloody hooves and ambled over toward the cart.  He was going to wait for the others to approach the newcomer; no need to get involved unless he was needed.  He glanced casually over, and started to give this stranger the Harcourt Scan-Over, when Trivy's words floated through his mind:

Harcourt, I don't have time for this...

His simple frown deepened to a scowl.  

Fine.  Whatever.  No need to look them over anyway; they're a ranger, for Luna's sake.  I'm just being old and paranoid, aren't I Trivy?  Well, fine then.  Forget it.  She doesn't want to learn, and I don't believe I feel like teaching.

He turned back to the cart, discreetly wiped his hooves on the underside of the buckboard, ridding them of the bloody evidence of his pain, and went toward the rear left wheel - it could use some work.  It had been wobbling ceaselessly for the last few miles, and his hip was very cross with him for it.

Besides... I'm not needed here apparently.  

He let go a sigh that was both angry and sad, and began checking the wheel's hub for misalignment.

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis@@Pucksterv@@Sweet_Melody,@@Count Paradox,  

Lilith temporarily ignored her duty as a spy, her duty to Sombra- she was a ranger, and these ponies were in the Everfree, bloodied and bowed. Ironic, that the group I have come to track and hunt, I will come to help maintain and save. But it didn't matter- these ponies needed help. "I haven't seen a group of ponies like this in years, and certainly none as generally in need of such assistance," she offered to the group at large, seeing how the pony she (possibly wrongly) saw as their leader retreated to the cart after giving some glares to a few pointed locations in the group. "I've brought some food, as well as some basic medical supplies, to perhaps cure you of some of the weariness of travel. Perhaps, while we rest, you might regard me with some of your tale as well..."

• Brohoof 1

@,

Trivy looked up from her map at the new stranger. This stranger was being so kind, something she hadn't seen in years. The last pony who showed her so much kindness was... Trivy looked at Harcourt who was sitting by his cart, hoofs covered in blood and mud. "How could've been so stupid? I gotta apologize...but first this suspicious stranger.."

"Hold there for just a second. Ranger." Trivy said as she lifted herself up from the ground. "We are in no need of your help. We are perfectly fine. We have enough food and we do not need your help. Besides, how do I know I can trust you?"

• Brohoof 1

@@Pucksterv,

Lilith examined the mage who shared the apple with the mare with an appraising eye before continuing. "Well, miss, I've been following you since you have entered the forest. Ponies entering the forest have been quite... rare, to say the least, especially within the last decade." She sighed. "Your statements are lies from what I've seen, unless you have a mysterious benefactor that has evaded my notice. You all are worn and tired, with several wounds that might indicate a tussle with bandits, as well as several more inflicted by long, hard travel. From your rather strict rationing that I observed, you obviously have much less food than you would like to have, especially considering that you have both young and old ponies with you." She paused here to gather her thoughts. "It was the rationing that made me decide to come to your aid, to be honest. Normally I leave most ponies alone as long as they do not come in with the intention to harm the forest or perform an evil task of some sort... but perhaps I also come in part because of curiosity. I have not left this forest in a decade, and I only have what I have found from the... ruins of other ranger stations. Tell me, how are the princesses doing?"

Lilith spun these lies effortlessly and without a tic of any sort to give her away. It almost concerned her, to be honest, until she realized she was parroting the words of her late teacher that she overheard many years ago, when she was just a pupil who helped Quickleaf assist those passing through the woods of her home. She mentally shook off the feeling, and awaited the mage's response.

• Brohoof 1