Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private Sombra's Shadow

Pucksterv

He was surprised at the absence of a target when he went to kick, but he recovered fairly rapidly as he rolled himself sideways in case of a counter from Lilith.  

"Ah, but oiled swine don't have style!"

Reading my movements like that - this is an accomplished fighter.  Have I bitten off more than I can feasibly chew?

The blade went at him, and he lightly snatched it out of the air with his mouth, whipping his head around and sending it back where it came from like a slingshot.  He had no need to try to hit his target; he was depending on the speed of it to surprise his opponent, perhaps to allow an opening... yet ultimately, for show.

Lilith's swipe caught him in the side, and he rolled with the hit.  It was enough to send him back toward the mast, and he was sure that would be a mistake for him to bed forced to.  He instead began to circle as well, trying to keep them on even ground.

By Luna, if this were serious, I might have a great deal to worry about...

He gave a lunge to one side, while once more a silver dagger flew to the other.  It would be tricky to try to dodge both...

• Brohoof 3

"Well, it seems that Wing here told me that she has a stowaway somewhere on board. A friend of hers." He scrubbed her down as he and Winter spoke. "We can't be too harsh on her, though... It will help her to have a friend on the ship besides me."

"... he's MY friend, and I ain't gonna give him up!"

"Well I don't know... I never had a stowaway before... Maybe I should throw you both overboard." Winter said teasingly as she grabbed Wing out of the tub. But instead of walking towards the edge of the ship, she started tickling her. After a lot of loud giggles she set her back down next to Psych. "I knew he was here since the first day we sailed. Just let him hide for a little longer, that will teach him." She said with a smirk. She gave a rub over Wing's head before walking off again.

• Brohoof 3

Stardust was laying across the top of the small sail that was closest to the bow of the ship. She was day dreaming and making sure that Aria wasn't falling asleep. 

She longed for it to be night, she felt most comfortable in the light of the stars. She closed her eyes and thought about the future. Though about how wonderful things will be once it is done. She could see it, the color, the sound. Everything she knew that she wanted, she knew that it might take a life time, but she knew that it would be worth it. To find that music that she desperately needed in her life. She had been in darkness and silence for so long. 

She heard a hum, just faint, but her ears perked up. There it was, her music! She finally knew that she had always had it, right there the whole time. Inside her, and she knew it was because of her. 

She opened her eyes, the sun warming her coat and she stretched her wings. She looked down to a almost dozing Aria, she fluttered down beside her. 

She landed with a loud clomp of her hooves, trying to get a rise out of Aria, she liked to try and scare her, even though it seemed like it never worked. She put a hoof around her shoulders and pointed out to the vast waters. 

"Out there, somewhere, out there is going to be ours. I promise Aria, I will find it, you know I always do." She gave Aria a wink and a smile. "Now, captain, how much further to this blasted island, by my maps we should be close." She smirked and walked to the very front of the ship. The wind blowing her mane, she felt alive, she knew that things were going to be just fine. 

Edited by Stardust*
  • Brohoof 3

@@Pucksterv

Rave looked around him and knew that Rarity was telling the truth, however, it did not unsettle him as he laughed in a mocking way. 

"It matters not. We will retreat.... for now. However, reinforcements will arrive and then we will finish the city, once and for all. It is YOU who has lost. We may have lost the battle, but we have won the war". 

He turned his back against her and signaled his troops to fall back. They immediately obeyed the order. 

He stopped in his tracks to turn his head. "You have the chance to surrender now. Your citizens will be given freedom.... as long as they never served your guard or never attacked my king's empire. However, if you refuse to surrender.... don't expect any mercy from us...." with that, he galloped away and out of the city. 

On his way to the command post, the dark voice within his head made it's presence clear. 

"How dare you offer the rebels mercy. If I were you, I would kill the all off instantly" Rave did not say anything, he kept on walking with a neutral expression. "Mercy is what ruined our house to begin with. You are weak minded, a fool" he kept on walking, approaching his own tent. "You let kindness seep into your heart and ruin you. You are only making yourself vulnerable you little...... wait.... you did not mean it...." a smile crept up Rave's face. For the first time, the dark voice seemed unsettled by his host and retreated out of his thoughts. 

-------------

Crimson and Ironhoof stood together in the distance, overlooking the city. 

"Continue firing at the city"

"FIRE". 

The catapults creeked into action and were soon barraging the once marvelous city again. 

A tower was hit by a large stone right in the midsection, sending the upper part crashing down. Another stone hit the guards barracks. Fire was spreading due to the damage dealt by the fireballs. The invading force intended to bring down the city to its knees. 

• Brohoof 2

... and Lilith's response to the action was to immediately bound towards him, shifting her body position to dodge the dagger while she blocked the blow with one of her claws, the other one rising to deflect the dagger that was thrown at her directly. Sparks flew as Lilith's returned dagger collided with her claws, and it went spinning off to the side, sliding to a stop next to the cabin door on the opposite end of the ship.

Now within close combat range, she began to try and contain him between the occasional flash of a dagger and her claws, ensuring that, when the melee finally started, it would be hard for him to dodge out of the way. With a grin, she threw a lunge that went straight through a barrel on the lower decks, missing him slightly- but the scream that came out of the barrel belonged to a young colt. She paid it no mind, totally intent on Harcourt. Besides, she thought to herself, she certainly heard me when she said clear the decks. It's her own fault.

A... a youngling? Is this a stowaway?

Yes, but that's not important. The important thing is that he's within three feet of this dark star when she's in combat! Shara, stop now! Evacuate the young one before you continue.

Like hell I'm gonna do that! I got this creep in the perfect position, and it's her own fault that he's still here when I made my presence known. Take your ideas of bystanders somewhere else.

Zzzzz... Zzzzz...

I swear, Shara, I will forcibly eject you from your position if I have to to save this colt.

I'd like to see you try, naive one. I'm in a prime position right now, both physically and mentally.

With a feral grin, she stabbed at him twice, once below, then, spreading out her position, once above- one that would prove to be a deadly uppercut if it fully connected.

((Oho, here's the wild card. Discussed with Randi beforehand, don't worry.))

• Brohoof 3

The catapults creaked into action and were soon barraging the once marvelous city again.

A tower was hit by a large stone right in the midsection, sending the upper part crashing down. Another stone hit the guards barracks. Fire was spreading due to the damage dealt by the fireballs. The invading force intended to bring down the city to its knees.

''Everypony run!" The lady yelled. The royal soldiers ran back as the city seemed to collapse when another rain of fire flew over the wall. Rarity was raging, she located Rave within a second before she teleported near him and pinned him to the ground.

"You are a miserable creature. Your dark heart has poised the honor there still is in battle." Her horn stared glowing as smoke appeared from her eyes. ''Luckily, you are not the only who posses the control of darkness." she grinned evil. She hit him with a spell and then flashed away, back to defending her city before any of the dark soldiers could get to her. The spell seemed to have no effect... for now.

• Brohoof 2

@Pucksterv

He smiled at winter, a light blush still spread across his face. "Ok then, I'll find him l-"

Psych suddenly heard a scream of a young colt somewhere on the ship. He sprang up, dropping the towel, and ran towards where the scream came from. Stumbling into the middle of Lilith and Harcourt's battle without realizing it, he spread his sight to search for Chip, running straight to the barrel that held him, finding the knife going through the barrel and barely missing him. "Chip, Chip, you ok!?"

• Brohoof 3

@@Pucksterv

Although Rave was taken by surprise, he couldn't care less about Rarity's remark. He was left with a bit of a headache. The dark voice within him remained silent, knowing fully well what he was thinking. 

Even though he knew she was gone, he couldn't help but reply to the air. 

"There is no honor in war. There is no honor in a fight to the death. Honor doesn't exist. A concept created by weaklings too scared of death". 

He fell back into his tent. 

"And you know nothing about the darkness, my existence has only one purpose..... seeing this world die......". 

He crawled into his makeshift bed and closed his eyes, recovering his strength from the petty spell struck upon him. 

• Brohoof 3

... and this will go directly by her, allowing me time to make my way closer... if it's close combat she wants, then let's not keep the lady waiting, shall we?

Harcourt watched, paying attention to every detail as he saw her coming his way.  With a dip to the right, he narrowly missed a lunge that he was certain would spell the end of this match if it connected.

Now, if I can just get her following me towards the-

That's when he heard a child's scream.

What!?  NO!

Instantly, he began calculating what it would take to get the berzerker, who was probably lost in her battle rage, away from whoever was inside that barrel.  If that was Wing...

Then, only making matters more urgent, Psych made his way over to their direction.  He didn't even seem to be paying attention to the fact that there was a fight going on here; he was quite apparently concentrating on finding the source of the yelp.

As far as it seemed, there were two choices - one of those choices were to allow this to continue, putting both Psych and the mystery foal at risk... the other..?

Harcourt physically steered himself into the path of the thrown uppercut, choosing to sacrifice his own pride instead of letting others hurt because of it.  The resulting hit was solid, and he flew backwards towards the railing.  He connected with it hard... and simply lie there, looking to all the world as if he were unconscious.

• Brohoof 4

"Bah! And here I was thinking that this would last for much longer," she fumed as she stalked over to Harcourt. With an afterthought, she kept her claws out and waited patiently for several moments before shaking her head. She turned around and held up a claw in victory before placing it down again and approaching, cautiously in case it was a trap, and looking him over. Luckily, the way he had thrown himself onto the punch had prevented him from being impaled through his head with the claws- only a few scratches on the right side of his face. After ensuring he wasn't going to just jump on her to the best of her knowledge, she stalked away. "Well... that was a disappointment," she grumbled to herself.

Wow! Harcourt knows what he's doing- that for sure.

...what?

Indeed, that was well played by him.

... now I know you guys are bluffing. Seriously, he let himself get knocked out, and we weren't even partway through the fight.

Mmh... huh? Wait, what?

Oh shi-

And with that, Lilith collapsed before she almost immediately sprang back up to her feet.

Lilith growled as her cloak faded back to brown, her reaction turning from one of disappointment to one of surprise and disdain

Oh, come on! Not only does my opponent prove to be worthless, YOU have to just wake up and ruin everything!

And how many times have I told you specifically NOT TO DO THAT?!

So literally any other spirit can come along and have fun, but I can't? And you call yourself fair.

Ignoring the spirit's protests, she looked around, seeing a sobbing colt in a half-demolished barrel, an unconscious Harcourt, and a panicking Psych who seemed to be looking for someone. She quickly moved over to Harcourt, spinning the barrel around carefully as she did so so that Psych would be able to determine the colt's location more easily. With a scowl, she dragged Harcourt back from his precarious position and looked him over. She glanced at the cuts and her face immediately shifted to worry. "Oh, no..."

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Chip was shaking, holding his tale, chewing on it while sobbing.

Winter ran after Psych, trying to comfort the wheeping colt. She looked at Harcourt and then to Lilith with an angry.

"Get Chip and Wing out of here." She said over her shoulder.

"What the hay is wrong with you? Starting a fight? You disgust me. Get out of my sight. NOW!" She yelled to Lilith.

Edited by Pucksterv
  • Brohoof 4

"I would not have you speak to others upon my vessel in such a manner."

Aria, whose eyes had been drinking in the intoxicating flurry of movements betwixt the two fighters, had stepped down from the wheel upon seeing the commotion unfolding.

"Your anger is understandable, but you may no more order Lilith to leave than you may the sun from the day. Especially when it was not her who was fighting," she said, nodding to the remaining vestiges of red fading from the edges of her cloak. "Tell me. Do you believe these two would knowingly put others in danger? After all they have done to save what remains of this band of survivors?"

Edited by Wubtavia
  • Brohoof 2

@Pucksterv

Psych nodded, grabbing both the younger ones and quickly moved them both below decks to the sleeping quarters. He sat Chip in a hammock, attempting to calm him down after his scare. "Don't worry, Chip, you're safe now... Nothing will happen now, you're safe..." He stared towards the door, a worried look on his face. "Please, Winter, don't do anything rash..."

• Brohoof 2

"No need for worry."

Harcourt stood up.  He was a bit scuffed up, but moved as if he were otherwise unharmed.  He looked about, seeing the young ones had been sequestered elsewhere and Psych was out of the line of fire.  Seeing this done, he turned to Lilith.

"Impressive... though I should want for a later conversation, if that would be feasible.  Otherwise, you have no fear of retribution; I knew the only way to end this safely was to throw the fight... so I did."

He turned to Aria, and gave a low bow.

"My sincerest apologies, dearest Aria, if we have caused issue upon your vessel.  It was merely a means of release, so to speak; I shall endeavor to personally repair or replace whatever you deem to be needed once we arrive at our destination."

Turning, he slowly and regally walked back to the stairs, doing his best to maintain dignity in the face of this moment.

That strike... a tad... too hard... by Luna, my neck was lucky... didn't snap...

The foals were safe.  Psych was safe.  Lilith, though certainly somewhat rattled, was safe.  This being the case, Harcourt was glad it was over; though he had moved like lightning, he could now feel the residual thunder of age rolling through him, making his muscles ache and his bones creak.

Not what I'd like to admit, but... I'm getting too old for this manure.

• Brohoof 2

Stardust missed all of the commotion, she had flown ahead to look for landfall. And that is just what she found! It was only a few miles out and they would finally be there. It took them less time than she had thought, but it meant that the next part would be up to her and her maps. Lady Rarity said that she knew the way, that she had the answers that they had all wanted and needed to defeat the terror of their dreams.

She flew back to the ship only to find that everpony on deck had been up in hooves arguing. That's how it can get on a ship for so long, cabin fever.

"STOP! Everypony, listen please, I just flew ahead, land is not far off. We should be there within the hour. We must get everything ready. Winter, you know this land, where do we need to be in order to leave the ship safely? Please, communicate that with Aria so the two of you can guide it with ease. Harcourt gather Psych and round everypony else up, make sure that the saddle bags are full with whatever food and water they can carry. This is not going to be a short trip. Lilith, mind your head, we need your skills and your sight, there is no telling what is out there."

She flew down to the deck, she could see some of the shock that spread across the faces of the ponies there. "What? Do I have something on my face?"

She wiped her hoof across her face, "Did I get it?" The looks on their faces didn't change, she rolled her eyes and let out a lighthearted sigh, "Well, stop staring at me and let's get moving! I will start to clear the fog so we don't come in unannounced, don't want anything to fire at us." And with that, she flew off to clear the low hanging clouds. 

Edited by Stardust*
  • Brohoof 3

"Tell me. Do you believe these two would knowingly put others in danger? After all they have done to save what remains of this band of survivors?"

"Please, Winter, don't do anything rash..."

Winter still had a angry look on her face but stood down. "Fine. But I will definitely not forget about this." she said before she turned around to walk to away from it all.

Winter, you know this land, where do we need to be in order to leave the ship safely? Please, communicate that with Aria so the two of you can guide it with ease.

''Yes.. We will sail into the Ruto River shortly that leads towards the capitals bay. The river is quite long but we still need to get things ready. This ship and everypony on it need to look in perfect shape. Otherwise, we will not get through the checkup and all of this will be for nothing.'' Especially since entering land with unknown and unchecked ponies is punishable by death.

With that, she made her way downstairs to pack her stuff and just to be away from it all.

• Brohoof 4

Psych noticed somepony stomping down the stairs to the lower deck, and it didn't take too long for him to know exactly who it was. He put Wing in the hammock with Chip to help calm him down, then followed Winter over to where she was. "Hey... You ok there?" He had a bit of worry on his face.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

"Hey... You ok there?" He had a bit of worry on his face.

"You don't want to be around me when I have bad temper Psych. I suggest you seek your distance." Winter said as she walked straight past him. "Get your things, get Chip and Wing, we're almost at bay." she said so Psych would be occupied with something else and of course they were in fact close to arriving inside the harbour.

Edited by Pucksterv
  • Brohoof 4

A little hurt, he decided to just drop the issue and do what he was told. He grabbed the few things that he had accumulated, and pulled Chip and Wing out of the hammock, setting them on the ground. "Let's... Let's go up top, but don't bother anypony right now... It seems that there might be something making everypony angry at each other." He started going upstairs with them.

• Brohoof 4

Stardust had finished clearing the fog from the ship. She made her way back to the ship and started tightening ropes, getting things straightened up and looking the best that it could.

The ship might not have been professionally made but it was not in rough shape either. The hull was sealed tight and the upper deck only had the best stained wood that the two ponies could find. It might have a few rough edges that could give some pretty nasty splinters but that was easily hidden.

Stardust knew that only Griffons ruled the seas at this point so she made sure that anything remotely related to pony life was out of sight.

The barrels filled with oats had a secret top that was filled with some of the griffon food that Winter had brought. Just in case the guards got wise and wanted to check.

The royalty might know we were coming, but that doesn't mean every griffon knew. Keeping it a close secret was for the better. That way if Sombra's armies got this far no one would know of us.

When constructing the ship Aria and Stardust had planned for things to go wrong. They knew that if they were caught in the ship they would not be able to escape. They built a hatch that only the two of them knew about. Under the captains quarters, it was big enough for months of food storage, or, in this case the refugee ponies. Keeping them hidden is going to be the best way for them to pass the checkpoint.

Stardust went down the stairs, "Winter, I know you are angry, but I just wanted you to know that everything is ready. The ponies can move now, I will take them where they won't be found by your guards."

Edited by Stardust*
  • Brohoof 4

"I'm not angry, at least, not at you. Just... Just do whatever needs to be done. I'll prepare the rest above deck. Don't make a sound when we get there. This will not be the day that ends in my execution.'' Winter through her bag over her shoulder as she had dressed herself in the meanwhile, looking like a true Empire citizen now. ''We'll be arriving at bay shortly. The river's stream is much fast after winter time I expect." With that, winter made her way upwards, keeping her cool but you could still she was nervous.

• Brohoof 3

This was the crucial moment on the horizon; the point where all would lie on line.  

The gathering of refugee ponies, leftovers of a world that would have to fight to exist again, were all prepared.  They'd been personally taken aside, each one, and told the seriousness of what was to come over the past few days - they knew what they were in for.

These were the ones that were left, thought Harcourt, out of what was originally 200 strong.  Years have passed, time has whittled down such a gathering of hope... and this is what we have.

He smiled.

This is the gristle of ponykind - the hardened muscle.  These are the ones who have survived a veritable trip through Tartarus; watched others fall to the ravages of this path, but kept going.  They were the ones who made it through the lean times, the scared times, the sick times... and they were TRUE survivors, able to take on whatever life threw at them.

He looked them over, every last one... and saw nopony shaking, or shifty-eyed, or cowardly.  

They might actually be ready, by Luna.

He turned to Stardust as she approached and nodded; what may come, they were ready.

• Brohoof 3

He turned to Stardust as she approached and nodded; what may come, they were ready.

Stardust returned a confident nod back to Harcourt. "Please, everypony listen. We are going to go above deck and through the captains quarters. There you will find a hatch door open, please make your way down into the holding area. We will all be safe there, we are nearly at the oceans edge where the river takes hold of the ship. We must do this quickly, but without panic. Once inside there is to be not a word spoken. I have talked with Winter about what will happen once we reach the checkpoint. She says that it is fairly routine and they will come aboard to make sure that there is nothing that would offend the land that we are about to dock at. Mainly foods that are not grown there, or any type of pony materials. This ship was built from the broken Griffon ships back at the harbor so the materials will be familiar to them. We have disguised the oat barrels to look like food that Winter took to the bay as a last peace offering that was directed by the Lords of Griffon Stone. She has already come up with a plan to explain to the guards as to why none of it was taken. She also has a story as to why it was only a one griffon trip. The hatch blends into the woodwork completely, only Aria and myself know of it and where to pop it open. It has a lock so it won't just pop open for anypony."

Stardust looked to Harcourt, "You can do this... We can do this. Now, let's get everypony ready. Make sure to keep your belongings and that your saddle bags are full of food and water. Once we leave the ship, there is no coming back. Not until ... we just have to be ready."

She turned and started to lead the way, up the stairs and into the sunshine, she felt it's warmth on her coat. Things were getting somewhat tense. She knew that she had to keep the hopes alive for everypony on board. Even if she was struggling with the hope that she held in her heart.

She turned to the wheel and gave Aria a nod before heading into the captains quarters. She had made sure that the beds had nothing on them but a plain white sheet. Then she saw in the corner of her eye something blue. She walked towards Aria's bunk and smiled, she almost forgot about her stuffed blue hippo. She placed him gently in her saddle bag and descended to the holding down below. 

• Brohoof 2

@@Pucksterv, Jinx was outside the Crystal Empire with Trivy. She turned to her. "Well, looks as tho your part in this war has come to an end," Jinx said. "I do hope you weren't counting on the King to show you, a rebel, much mercy once I take you to him."

A memory came to Jinx, and she flinched. In her mind, she saw a young unicorn mare weeping at her hooves cuz she thought that she was going to die, that Jinx would kill her now that she no longer had use for her host. This had been Jay, who's body Jinx had briefly possessed after her dark magic immortality spell had destroyed her old body. But Jinx had spared Jay. Somehow, she had felt that it would be going too far to kill Jay, and had let her live, as well as protecting her in the new order. Despite trying to convince herself that it was in case she needed Jay again, Jinx knew deep down that it wasn't about that. Something about the young mare had touched her icy soul.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Winter was almost dancing around the ship as she hurried to close every sail but the one of the main mast. The empress must be visible at all cost. She then raced to the front, stood down straight and put her claw to her head in a solute as the ship made it's way into the river. hundreds of armed guards were lined up on both sides of the river, all the way up to the bay.Winter didn't move an inch as the guards started raising their claws one after another. The ship had some trouble sailing further. It underside slowly scrapped the bottom of the river as it wasn't as deep as the ocean.

A few minutes later, the ship had finally reached is destination as it was pulled into the harbor by a few griffon soldier's who seemed to be from the royal house. Winter lowered her claw and then laid down the plank towards the survice so the griffons could come aboard for the strict security check.

"Greetings. I'm Little Winter of House Blue Feather. This is a legal merchant ship, registered by South Enterprises. I've just returned from a trading mission with the Yaks. Here is a list of the shipment." Winter gave a scroll to the head officer, who nodded in response before he followed his colleges below deck.

Jinx was outside the Crystal Empire with Trivy. She turned to her. "Well, looks as tho your part in this war has come to an end," Jinx said. "I do hope you weren't counting on the King to show you, a rebel, much mercy once I take you to him."

Trivy slowly opened her eyes as she awoke from her unconsciousness mind from a mumble that seemed to be directed towards her. Her eyes were having trouble but she managed to peek out them still. She was being... dragged? carried? she was definitely moving. Her mind was still too much asleep to put the pieces together. Her surroundings were dark, almost as dark when she closed her eyes. And there was this humming noise in the background, like a thousand ponies weeping and moaning in the distance. "Where the hay am I?'' She grunted, not expecting anypony the answer, it was more a question she was asking herself. 

Edited by Pucksterv
  • Brohoof 3