Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Need Help with a Original Story - I don't know British English

Tsukuyomi-MLP

So, I've decided to work on a story just for the fun of it, inspired by the anime Gosick and the anime Senkou no Night Raid (dubbed "Night Raid 1931" in English-speaking countries, even though that's not even close to an accurate translation).

Originally I was going to ask for the help of a different guy from England, but that guy is taking his time to answer my request so I fighted I may as well ask around to see if anyone else is willing.

OH YEAH, THIS IS A REQUIREMENT: You ABSOLUTELY MUST be proficient in British English. Modern British English will be fine, though British English as it was in the 1930's would be preferable.

The title of the story is "This Rotten War" (Japanese: この腐った戦争, ''kono kusatta sensō'').

Basic plot is as follows:

The date is Shōwa 6 (1931), February 3rd. The place is London, England.

Hideaki Takamura is from a Japanese milirary family living in Hiroshima, Japan. Having proven himself with an exceptional academic record, and due to last-ditch attempts by a small minority in the Japanese government to repair the fragmenting relationship between the United Kingdom and Japan, is allowed to attend the Saint Victoria University (a fictional university) in London, England.

Upon ariving in the school, he comes across Avril Gillan, a local girl belonging to a wealthy family. The two of them quickly find a common point, solving mysteries, and start working together to solve local school "mysteries". The two become very close and things seem to be going smoothly, that is until....

Shōwa 6 (1931), September 18th, Kwantung Army orchestrates the Mukden Incident.

Shōwa 6 (1931), September 19th, Kwantung Army invades Manchuria. Presented with a ''fait accompli'', the Japanese government has little choice but to reinforce (and, in effect, support) the Kwantung Army.

Relations between Japan and the west start to deteriorate to a new low, and Hideaki and Avril are caught in the middle of it all.

You might be wondering why I'm asking you about this. Well, put simply, I'm not English. I don't know much of any British English. Seriously, the extent of my knowledge can be summarized as "you spell stuff differently, have a accent different from the US and say "bonnet" instead of "hood" and "lift" instead of "elevator"".

If you're willing to help, please let me know.

PS: I am aware that there is huge variation within British English. I won't be too picky, anyone that knows how English is spoken in England is fine, though since the story is based in London that's the kind of English that I'm looking for.

I am willing to help you if you want. I am often extremely busy, but I can try to offer my advice and do quick proofreading of the stories if you want.

Dont worry, my first language is British English, so it will work. 

I am willing to help you if you want. I am often extremely busy, but I can try to offer my advice and do quick proofreading of the stories if you want.

Dont worry, my first language is British English, so it will work.

Sorry about the late reply, school came along. I would've been on more often but while my RL friends know I watch MLP, they still think that I'm not all that into it and for now I'd like to keep it that way.

It would be great if you're still willing to do that for me though! I haven't gotten as far as I would like on the story though, still working on the first chapter. If you'd like I'll let you know when I get to a point where proofreading would be good.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

What do you need exactly? Slang? Are you typing the words like they pronounce them? A good thing to do is watch videos of people or tv shows from Britain, they are everywhere on Youtube. You could try watching videos on how to speak with a Briish accent. The most effective thing to do is to get involved with a lot of British media. Just be careful. If you want a certain region, make sure you dont end up mixing accents. And some British programs are made to be more understandable with American audiences, meaning the accents and vocabulary are toned down heavily.

Edited by AmbientBeat