Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Don't you think MLP is so suitable to learning English ?

from_new_world

I'm learning English with MLP for about 3 weeks.
I feel an increase in vocabulary and listening skills.
So I'll continue it !
If you know interesting phrases, please tell me !

• Brohoof 9

27 minutes ago, from_new_world said:

So I'll continue it !

yeah I would say MLP is definetly a good show for learning English, since its a really good show, while the characters speak relatively slowly (this could skewed by the fact that 3/4 of the cities I've been to have very fast dialects, with mine even being debated to whether it's considered its own language or not) and the vocabulary is written with a child in mind, which helps when you're learning the language because the grammar is more simple.

• Brohoof 4

41 minutes ago, from_new_world said:

So I'll continue it !

Just.... Don't say everypony....:Pip-giggle:

• Brohoof 2
  • Delighted Giggle 3
  • smile 1
  • Excited 1

You're learning English just with MLP, and you're at this level of writing it so well :wau:???? 

Holy goly, and I took years to learn it :ButtercupLaugh:

• Brohoof 3

I didn't watch MLP back when I was learning English (FIM didn't even exist at that point), but watching other cartoons definitely helped. I probably learned more from cartoons and the internet than school in the end. :P

• Brohoof 3
  • smile 1

5 hours ago, Evil Pink One said:

Just.... Don't say everypony....:Pip-giggle:

No, DO say everypony. :sneer:

(For legal reasons this is a joke.)

• Delighted Giggle 2

It's difficult to use "everypony" in Japan...(cz there are no suitable words in Japan.)

However, I have to be careful not to accidentally say "everypony" in my English class speech...!^_^

• Brohoof 1
  • Delighted Giggle 3

I feel like consuming any media in the language you want to learn is a good idea! Cartoons are actually perfect for language learning since they tend to use simpler words and slower speech that’s easier to understand. I know I found it easier to understand Spanish dubs and cartoons vs something like a newscast or reggaeton.

Your English is honestly pretty good especially if you’ve just been learning on your own mostly!

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1
  • Hugs 1

People always tell me "Don't use anime to learn Japanese". Lots of characters in anime talk in a very rude way. Most normal people in Japan don't talk like anime characters. The proper thing to do is go to school and learn the correct way before you learn from anime.
The same is true the other way around. English speaking people do not talk like cartoon characters; and humans do not use the word "everypony". Go to school and learn proper English first. Cartoons can be helpful, but they should never replace a proper education.

• Brohoof 4
  • Sad 1

As someone who learned English as a third language, I learned mostly through watching Magic English as a kid until I made it to school where it was taught proper. My father never finished school, but he learned English solely through TV, and while his is not as good as mine, he can carry a conversation.

• Brohoof 3

Yep, to learn English with MLP is a great idea. Firstly because it's really nice language learning material, reach and eazy for understanding. Secondly because of friendly community which may be very helpful to develop your communication skills.

• Brohoof 2
  • smile 1

TV shows and video games in another language is a great tool, but shouldn’t completely substitute formal education. You may catch a lot of lexicon structures by instinct, but formal education should give you a better understanding of those. Speaking from experience 

• Brohoof 3

59 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

TV shows and video games in another language is a great tool, but shouldn’t completely substitute formal education. You may catch a lot of lexicon structures by instinct, but formal education should give you a better understanding of those. Speaking from experience 

Yeah ive been watching anime for3 decades now.... Still no nihhonggo for me.

Bakades ne...........

• Brohoof 3
  • smile 1

Only I'll use the MLP as a sub larning tool.(and as my hobby!)

Of course, main-larning tools are  my high school's classes.

But, If I wanna learn English as business communication, I'll choose other ways.(anyway,I would enjoy MLP!)

I love puns, slangs, abbreviation, and Apple family's  southern accent !

• Brohoof 2
  • smile 1

6 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Exactly my point. :) Quoted for truth.

4 hours ago, from_new_world said:

But, If I wanna learn English as business communication, I'll choose other ways.(anyway,I would enjoy MLP!)

I'm proud of you. :lookup: 頑張って!

• Brohoof 3
  • smile 1
  • Hugs 1

13 hours ago, from_new_world said:

AppleJackBook.JPG.f0c3539d9852bf970b2125ed760b559b.JPG

If you learn to talk and read like Apple Jack, your home in mastering English.

For bussiness use, I don't know if that help you, if your not into selling used cars? *lol*

• Excited 1

I know there is sensitive history.

But just as the Hakata dialect is popular in Japan, I think there is something appealing about dialects.:mlp_icwudt:

• Brohoof 2

7 hours ago, Evil Pink One said:
  • Now wait just a darn tootin secn'd:mlp_wat:

That's racist y'all... :huh:

No. :oh_golly:

6 hours ago, from_new_world said:

I know there is sensitive history.

But just as the Hakata dialect is popular in Japan, I think there is something appealing about dialects.:mlp_icwudt:

One day, I shall learn and master the Kansai dialect. えーやん!えーやん!すごいやん!

• Excited 1