Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Nike Secrets

Watch this:

I'm too tired (and short on time) to go into excessive detail about why it is important to know what you're buying and where it comes from, but I think the video does a good job of explaining it.

Feel free to do more research on the subject. It's not only Nike.

Maybe you might check out other companies, such as HASBRO and its workers.

Start a discussion about your thoughts. This guy (Jim Keady) is still hard at work to get LIVING WAGES for Nike sweatshop employees. These people deserve better.

Here's and interesting statement on their Diversity & Inclusion page (Found under "Contact" on Nike's website):

"Most companies embrace diversity.

Not Nike.

We soak it up. We squeeze it out. We want it to drip over everything Nike does. Because without diversity of opinion, diversity of background, diversity of perspective, the Idea grows fallow. Or worse, it vanishes altogether. The mission is to harness diversity and inclusion to inspire ideas and ignite innovation.

And you know as well as anyone: if there is no Idea, there is no Nike."

-Nike

Do you see the irony in this?

post-2915-0-51276300-1334720044.jpg

No. I'm not letting this thread die because of some current post overtaking it.

BUMP.

Edited by Guest

Interesting, we learned about this in geography last year, and its shocking that a lot and a lot of companies do this. Some of the time these sweatshops brake the local law and pay EVEN less than the minimum wadge there, sometimes they do get busted, but other times they don't. For those that have seen Dress.mov, there are many places in the world much like rarities house/workshopything

Edited by Flare^99999999999
  • Brohoof 1

Now, I'm not saying that I support them or anything, but in their defense, these are people who want to work. Without this job they'd have literally nothing, and wouldn't even be able to afford food or shelter.

• Brohoof 3

Now, I'm not saying that I support them or anything, but in their defense, these are people who want to work. Without this job they'd have literally nothing, and wouldn't even be able to afford food or shelter.

This

It's either die of starvation or works under those huge companies with little wages. say anything you want, but in 3rd world countries working for such multi-national company offers more salary than other kind of jobs

• Brohoof 1

Cheap Labour = Most Profit ($$$)

What's really happening is that there is an emerging middle class in China and India. Why we should care about that? The reason why is because there will be a more enviromental waste, getting a job would be more difficult, inflation of products, and so much more. I'm worried about the future. Honestly I have no clue what will happen.

• Brohoof 1

That isn't sad atleast they aren't kids and they have machines.Yesterday,50 orphaned kids working against their will in a clothes workshop (Like rarity's shop in DRESS.MOV) got burnt to death because the owner wanted to get rid of them.He set the entire factory on fire and what did the police do?Well...nothing.Stuff like this happens everywhere this isn't new.

Thanks to all the wonderful people who made this shoe, which I purchased $200 for, and now currently own.

Posted Image

That same shoe was made for $8 ($16 a pair). At the end making a new pair, only 90 cents are distributed among all the workers in these shops. That's bullshit.

Phil Knight (though I understand he's not the CEO of Nike anymore) is worth $13 Billion+. He's owns 90% of a shares and 30% of b shares. He still owns the company. It would only cost him $300 million more to give these workers LIVING wages. You saw the video, right? If a worker gets sick, they have to decide between getting vitamins from a juice pack as well as some medicine or eating two-thirds of a normal meal for the day. Now I know, $300 million is NOTHING to scoff at, but once you've hit $1 billion, why even play the game anymore? What more could you buy? Knight is worth $13 BILLION and counting.

I understand NONE of this is new.

However, I'm quite surprised at how f#@%ing lightly you lot are all talking about it.

I thought for sure that a Goddamn fan-base about helping others through a kid's cartoon would have more to say than "At least they won't starve."

I wish I had access to the content Jim Keady possesses. I attended a seminar of his, and he showed us evidence of the corruption that happens in those factories. A worker (now his close friend) was jumped by one of the hired thugs and assaulted. The thug attacked him with a machete, slicing into the back of his neck and leaving him to die in a pool of blood. Keady showed us the picture of his scar and the shirt his friend was wearing that day. About 15% of the shirt was white - in the front. The rest of it was covered in a rust-brown color. The man's dried blood.

That's just one of the instances where violence caused by the local mafia has impacted Keady's work. I won't go further into detail, as I get the feeling this is falling upon deaf ears.

It's simply not enough to scrape your way across life's floor. These people deserve to be able to rest, maybe spend the day with their children or relatives, instead of constantly worrying about their families and themselves.

I know you lot didn't mean to be... ignorant. I know you think there's not much you can do.

But let me ask you this - have you ever heard of SOPA?

Why do you think that bill didn't pass? (Aside from the fact that it's just plain stupid.)

It's because we, the people, brought it to the government's attention that we did NOT support the bill.

We signed petitions. We protested. We made a statement.

As a result, most of the officials whom supported the bill changed their minds.

We have the power to do the same with Nike. I know you may think it's a "One Trick Pony" thing, (no pun intended - this shit is serious.) but we are capable of making change. I mean, look at Kony 2012.

Nike has been treating its workers like shit for years.

I hate that.

I'm not asking you to spend any of your "precious" time to start a revolution.

I'm just asking that you inform others who are unaware.

Don't use "they'll starve if they don't have jobs - Nike's giving them jobs!" as an excuse.

I know it's all they have, and that they will die if they don't do labor for Nike. Regardless, as people, they deserve better.

You can sit on your ass and read this... But all I ask is you spread awareness once you're finished.

You won't be threatened with death (directly) from Nike if your voice happens to be heard.

Edited by Guest

I wasn't aware corporations exploited people for profits

besides its not Nike only, its across the board. Corporations will lie, exploit, and bribe for profits, rule of law is supposed to prevent that, but the bribes prevent rule of law. Politicians are awesome like that.

• Brohoof 1

I always hated Nike, this makes me hate corporations even more because of this, and you wonder why we are so broke and unemployment is so damn high! All to save a few bucks.

I wasn't aware corporations exploited people for profits

besides its not Nike only, its across the board. Corporations will lie, exploit, and bribe for profits, rule of law is supposed to prevent that, but the bribes prevent rule of law. Politicians are awesome like that.

I know it's not only Nike, but Nike is the largest and most recognizable example of inhumane corruption to the everyday person.

I feel really bad, now.... I have 2 pairs of nikes and a pair of jordans... It's horrible how only $2.70 (i think) are given to people for that $300 spent on those shoes...

to quote Rage Against the Machine...

No escape from the mass mind rape

Play it again jack and then rewind the tape

And then play it again and again and again

Until your mind is locked in

Believin' all the lies that they're tellin' you

Buyin' all the products that they're sellin' you

They say jump and you say how high

You're brain-dead

You've gotta buckin' bullet in your head

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Pony

This really sucks. Not to take away from the crimes against humanity, but to put another perspective on this: As bad as it is for those in 3rd world countries, it is also bad for developed nations. Those shoes were made in the US once upon a time. They were made to last longer, too. So now we have fewer jobs in our country because of this, we have poorer quality items (so we spend more money more often to replace them), and the people who have no souls and CAN do this stuff, are being rewarded. They are the only ones being rewarded.

Want to STOP this stuff? Well, buy stuff made in developed nations (where there are labor laws); for stuff you can't buy from them like coffee, buy fair trade (its still not as fair as they make it sound, but its slightly better); buy better quality items, buy used when possible (from Goodwill and places like that) to keep usable items in circulation, keeping money out of Nike's hands and companies like them. It may not change the world, but it makes it better for you.

Wanna be even further outraged? Watch the documentary Food, Inc. Its on Netflix.

• Brohoof 1

I know it's not only Nike, but Nike is the largest and most recognizable example of inhumane corruption to the everyday person.

well at least Nike pays its workers... you don't even wanna know about the chocolate industry

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-robbins/is-there-child-slavery-in_b_737737.html

This really sucks. Not to take away from the crimes against humanity, but to put another perspective on this: As bad as it is for those in 3rd world countries, it is also bad for developed nations. Those shoes were made in the US once upon a time. They were made to last longer, too. So now we have fewer jobs in our country because of this, we have poorer quality items (so we spend more money more often to replace them), and the people who have no souls and CAN do this stuff, are being rewarded. They are the only ones being rewarded.

Want to STOP this stuff? Well, buy stuff made in developed nations (where there are labor laws); for stuff you can't buy from them like coffee, buy fair trade (its still not as fair as they make it sound, but its slightly better); buy better quality items, buy used when possible (from Goodwill and places like that) to keep usable items in circulation, keeping money out of Nike's hands and companies like them. It may not change the world, but it makes it better for you.

Wanna be even further outraged? Watch the documentary Food, Inc. Its on Netflix.

Eeyup to all of it.

Random fyi, the deliberate of act of making products poorer in quality to increase sales is called planned obsolescence.

• Brohoof 1

Believe me guys, I'm not just going to sit around and post on these forums to get stuff like this recognized.

I don't care if you find my words hollow or my ideals flawed, but I'd like to know that, when I'm lying on my deathbed (let's hope that's a long time from now), I did something I could actually be proud of.

... Maybe I can get something started with the Boy Scouts? lol.

Go make a difference.

Bump.

Edited by Guest

I'm more surprised that you weren't aware of this until recently than I am about it going on.

But, yeah, this is the main reason I don't buy Nike's, period.

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

I'm more surprised that you weren't aware of this until recently than I am about it going on.

But, yeah, this is the main reason I don't buy Nike's, period.

I've known about this for a long time. I was only recently inspired to do something about it when I met Jim Keady in real life.

He made bold claims that could be supported with photographic and official, statistical evidence. He's assembled a great team who can interpret Nike's public announcements concerning his motives.

I'm feeling a bit unaccomplished at the moment. Maybe I can actually do something wholesome and worthwhile for once.

It's nice to know that the brony community is so accepting and intelligent - maybe that's why I've started here.

Even if it' a very minor step that nobody cares about.

All the people who read this topic and have had a change of heart, I urge you to cover the swoosh on all your Nike apparel.

You guys pay Nike to wear their oppressive symbol. You don't benefit from flaunting it.

Why advertise it?

This stuff is still happening guys...

http://www.teamsweat.org/

(If a mod considers this advertising, I will be personally offended and appalled...)

Edited by Guest

(edited)

I'm pretty sure everyone here has bought or regularly buys things from companies (Wal-Mart anyone?) that use sweatshop labor. I try to buy from thrift stores as much as I can for my clothes at least, but I, as well as many other people, can't afford to buy more expensive products constantly to combat sweatshop labor. Even though Nike sells expensive products people really don't know about where their products come from. But even if you know about the sweatshop labor I'm pretty sure most people who own Nike's shop at Wal-Mart or some other place that uses the same labor with the same conditions as Nike. You really can't judge one group of people for buying a certain product when we all do pretty much the same thing.

Edited by roomforapony
  • Brohoof 1