Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Teach me how to draw hands

Deidre Asada

I am not sure if this the right place to post this but I am in need of help and was wondering if any one here are good at drawing hand. Cause hands are my worst enemy's when it comes to drawing >:{..

And was wondering if any one can give me some tips on how to get better at drawing hands or if any one knows a good site that teaches people how to draw hands or any other parts of the human body will be really appreciated.

Hands are inferior; Draw hooves.

No seriously though, the only way to get good at drawing something is to practice until you can get it right. Always use a reference until you can get it to look decent, and after enough tries it will eventually become natural to you. Repetition is all that is necessary to improve your artwork. Hands are an absolute nuisnace though, so it may take a while to get them werfect, but don't get frustrated if it takes a while.

Hands are really difficult, even when stylized. My advice would be to pay very close attention to the way others draw hands and try to learn. For example, I love cartooning but still struggle with hands, so In a show like Phineas and Ferb for instance, I'll pay close attention to the characters hands and try to learn how they are drawn.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't do stylized. cartoon: A simple drawing showing the features of its subjects in an exaggerated way.

The way I see is that if you can't draw it realistically then how can you exaggerate it?

The way Learned was by blocking it out with simple shapes like cylinders and rectangles and then going back and adding shading. I generally drew my own hand a bunch. Google some references and how to's because that's where you will find suggestions as to how to draw the square/cylinders.

As usual just practice, practice, practice.

You'll be surprised that hands are often banes of many new upcoming artists in their lifetime, most times, artists make them proportionality incorrect and often too small . It is key to study your own hand and observe every angle, perspectives and aspect. You'll come to see this easier if you stand before a mirror and hold your hand along side your face or even covering half of it. For an average adult, a average hand is nearly half (give or take a little) the size of their head. As infants, our hands is considerable smaller but grow faster than our skulls as we progress with age.

It can also help if you make a mold of your hand, or obtain a wooden hand manikin to study various angles.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

You'll be surprised that hands are often banes of many new upcoming artists in their lifetime, most times, artists make them proportionality incorrect and often too small . It is key to study your own hand and observe every angle, perspectives and aspect. You'll come to see this easier if you stand before a mirror and hold your hand along side your face or even covering half of it. For an average adult, a average hand is nearly half (give or take a little) the size of their head. As infants, our hands is considerable smaller but grow faster than our skulls as we progress with age.

It can also help if you make a mold of your hand, or obtain a wooden hand manikin to study various angles.

I used to follow the measurement thing closely, but I found that it either turned out too mechanical or calculated. I also found that often times people don't even come close to the "approximation" although it's still good to know obviously. #lifeDrawingClasses

Thanks, I had actually forgotten it.

Edited by Bohtty