Is Twilight most deserving of the princess of friendship?

cider float

I mean Pinkie Pie seems to be better at staying friends with Twilight's friends and Fluttershy had the patience to be Discord's friend while Twilight keeps a militant relationship with Discord.

And frankly how Twilight screw up her friends destinies and fixing it to become the princess of friendship just does no justice.

Edited by cider float

Huh? I don't think that I understand this. But I'm pretty sure that there are way more examples of her and the knowledge of friendship than her ruining friendships. After all..

-In Amending Fences, Twilight went out and made up with her old friends. She never gave up on Moondancer.

-In the first Equestria Girls, Twilight reunited the Humane 5 and there's a chain reaction that leads to the school coming together rather than being divided

-Twilight technically is the one to discover the magic of friendship

-When Discord was evil and used his magic to turn the rest of Mane 6 into their "element of disharmony", she had never given up on them.

-She sacrificed all the alicorn Magic for them in the season 4 finale

There's more to list though

• Brohoof 8

Applejack would plant trees everywhere. Fluttershy would lets animals run amok. Rainbow Dash would just make herself a wonderbolt and then abducate the throne, Rarity is just no and Pinkie Pie... well, is pinkie pie. XD

Being a princess isn't all magical castles, its paper work, organisation, and dealing with political scrubs who your not allowed to declare war on (something about peace, blah blah blah...) so you need a total egghead to run this shit....

Hence, Twilight is best princess (unless she gets killed or they find someone better XD)

Edited by Malinter
  • Brohoof 1

The Elements of Harmony are simply badly conceived and designed because Faust & Renzetti had never intended for this show to appeal to adults or be indepth. It was meant to have no continuity whatsoever.

Once they left, Hasbro pushed the writing team in ways that ended this dream, starting with Twilight becoming a princess, then her house exploding, chances are the next finale will be PLANET TWILIGHT and the series will end with SUPER TWILIGHT SPARKLE GALAXY.

The point is, the actual virtues portrayed by the Elements are clumsy and weird, and don't necessarily line up well with the name of the Element. The most egregious is "magic". Aren't they all supposed to be "magic"?!

This is why there's some argument about Twilight being the rightful heir of the crown of magic. Exactly what her Element is and why it's the central hub of friendship isn't really sufficiently explained, and they can't, because it'd be too complicated for kids to understand.

Yup. I think so. I could be a tiny bit biased here since I do think she is best pony and best princess and best purple animated creature in existence BUT, she has plenty of merit. She went from not knowing about what friendship could (hey, like the song!) and go to not only learn all about friendship, but use it to save Equestria at least 3 times. Plus, she be awesome with magical stuff.

• Brohoof 2

The Elements of Harmony are simply badly conceived and designed because Faust & Renzetti had never intended for this show to appeal to adults or be indepth. It was meant to have no continuity whatsoever.

Once they left, Hasbro pushed the writing team in ways that ended this dream, starting with Twilight becoming a princess, then her house exploding, chances are the next finale will be PLANET TWILIGHT and the series will end with SUPER TWILIGHT SPARKLE GALAXY.

The point is, the actual virtues portrayed by the Elements are clumsy and weird, and don't necessarily line up well with the name of the Element. The most egregious is "magic". Aren't they all supposed to be "magic"?!

This is why there's some argument about Twilight being the rightful heir of the crown of magic. Exactly what her Element is and why it's the central hub of friendship isn't really sufficiently explained, and they can't, because it'd be too complicated for kids to understand.

I found the Friendship = Magic pretty deep and still connecting with a children's show so I don't see why not why throw the writing all over the place.

I found the Friendship = Magic pretty deep and still connecting with a children's show so I don't see why not why throw the writing all over the place.

I don't think you understood my point.

If friendship is magic, that means the Elements of Harmony, all of them together, are Magic. So why is there a single "Element of Magic"? That's like if you build a car and refer to the steering wheel as the car.

I don't think you understood my point.

If friendship is magic, that means the Elements of Harmony, all of them together, are Magic. So why is there a single "Element of Magic"? That's like if you build a car and refer to the steering wheel as the car.

She has the title of Princess of Friendship sounds like she represents it and is considered the expert of it.

Princess Celestia didn't have any diplomats employed and has been seen doing the work herself. Same with a number of domestic issues that calls for the main government to step in.

Edited by Singe

I'm going to say Twilight was worthy of becoming the Princess of Friendship, however she is not more worthy than any of her friends. Basically they're all worthy enough to have gained the role, it's just marketing that played a role. 

• Brohoof 6

Yes. I think so. 

Princess Celestia and Princess Luna became princesses because they are alicorns and represent all types of pony. (So their species is why they became princesses.)

I am not sure why princess Cadance became a princess. 

Princess Twilight showed that she worked hard to become a princess. She studied, she did her lessons, she showed that she understands friendship and has what it takes to be a princess. 

I mean Pinkie Pie seems to be better at staying friends with Twilight's friends and Fluttershy had the patience to be Discord's friend while Twilight keeps a militant relationship with Discord.

And frankly how Twilight screw up her friends destinies and fixing it to become the princess of friendship just does no justice.

Haha, this gets brought up alot XD

Yes, as far as being a pure friend goes, Twilight is actually not really any better of a friend than the others. However, they've made her better at organization and other "busywork" tasks that a government official would need to do, so for ruling, she's probably better than Pinkie.

Though, applejack could probably be just as good of a ruler and leader as Twilight if they gave her the opportunity to let her skills shine in that field. (Though, on that note, I think the mane six ALL have the ability to shine in their respective fields as leaders, just the show doesn't really give much of an opportunity to focus on it. Pinkie is very capable in certain areas like party pooped showed us, and RD is a really good Pegasi/team leader character and it'd be nice if they gave us more episodes like Hurricane fluttershy to show this)

-In the first Equestria Girls, Twilight reunited the Humane 5 and there's a chain reaction that leads to the school coming together rather than being divided

Bleh, don't remind me of Equestria girl's plot, its utter crap. The other 5 almost randomly act like jerks to each other due to TEXT MESSAGES, never think to ask the other person or call them about them not showing up, just descend into rampant hatred of each other, and fall for a plot that a child could see through.

Pretty much all so Twilight could play the messiah character and waltz in and fix everything up in like 5 seconds-- the plot required the other 5 to be idiots because an actual legitimate reason for them to break up would have taken more than 5 seconds for twilight to solve and would have made her not really come off as this messiah figure.

Its essentially the equivilent of worfing someone to make another character look good (in this case, making them all terrible friends to make twilight seem like a better friend)

I'm going to say Twilight was worthy of becoming the Princess of Friendship, however she is not more worthy than any of her friends. Basically they're all worthy enough to have gained the role, it's just marketing that played a role. 

Agreed here.

• Brohoof 3

She has the title of Princess of Friendship sounds like she represents it and is considered the expert of it.

I think the whole "Princess of Friendship" thing was based on all of the lessons she learned and experience Twilight gained during the events of the show and culminated in the appearance of the Cutie Map.  I wouldn't say Twilight is any better of a friend than any of her friends but it seems like she's been appointed the task of solving friendship problems around Equestria.  

So the title is more like an official one than an indication of Twilight's friendliness.  

I think the whole "Princess of Friendship" thing was based on all of the lessons she learned and experience Twilight gained during the events of the show and culminated in the appearance of the Cutie Map.  I wouldn't say Twilight is any better of a friend than any of her friends but it seems like she's been appointed the task of solving friendship problems around Equestria.  

So the title is more like an official one than an indication of Twilight's friendliness.  

This would be sounder were it not for Celestia basically saying she was as good at loyalty, honesty, generosity and laughter as the other five and every was now her (twilight's) student in MMC.

That somewhat indicates twilight is the Uber-friend :P

• Brohoof 2

Mmm.....I feel as though Twilight is worthy of her title as the Princess of Friendship simply because she's the one who struggled with it THE MOST. Overcoming your greatest struggle can sometimes gives you an ironic connection to it. 

But what I love most about her being the "Princess of Friendship" is that she isn't perfect with it. They continue execute her as a flawed character. What I hated most was how people would expect for the Mane 6 to literally "be" the element they represent. The momesnt Applejack lies about something, people will throw a hissy fit saying "I THOUGHT SHE WAS THE ELEMENT OF HONESTY?" or how Rarity haves a moment of vanity "OH WOW THAT'S NOT GENEROUS AT ALL"......the same goes for Twilight. But she does well to live up to her title and I admire her for it. 

She is worthy of being the Princess of Friendship.....but not MORE worthy than the others. But you don't need to have wings, a horn, and a title to be considered "the princess" of something. Pinkie Pie is Pinkie Pie...the princess of making everyone happy or whatever...it's up to the fans to decide. 

Yes she is worthy. We saw it in the first and second episodes. I honestly do believe she is more worthy than any of the mane 5 because of her skills in magic, intelligence and because she knows how important it really is, seeing as she lived most her life without accepting friendship.

However without the mane 5, her title as the princess of friendship is useless and each of her mane 5 friends are as important as her and each other when it comes to using the magic of friendship.

I have to say, if Moondancer went to Ponyville instead of Twilight, I would think that she would get the Element of Magic. Because who was it who tried to break out of her shell and throw a party? That's right.

And seeing how similar Twilight and Moondancer are...that would probably mean Moondancer would become the Princess of Friendship. 

Of course, that's just my opinion. 

This would be sounder were it not for Celestia basically saying she was as good at loyalty, honesty, generosity and laughter as the other five and every was now her (twilight's) student in MMC.

That somewhat indicates twilight is the Uber-friend :P

Yeah, that bit doesn't sound right to me either.  Even if Twilight has spent so much time learning about friendship and has come to understand the value of the Elements of Harmony that her friends embody, she still only represents one of them by herself.  

If all of the friendship problems Twilight encountered were up to her to solve by herself, I doubt she could handle them.  The only reason I think she can pull it off is that Celestia said something to the effect that "what would the Princess of Friendship be without her friends" so it's more of a team effort really.  Twilight just happens to be the ringleader because she's the one who can represent the other five, consider the elements they represent and then make the best decisions.

Edited by J. Brony

Huh? I don't think that I understand this. But I'm pretty sure that there are way more examples of her and the knowledge of friendship than her ruining friendships. After all..

-In Amending Fences, Twilight went out and made up with her old friends. She never gave up on Moondancer.

-Twilight technically is the one to discover the magic of friendship

-When Discord was evil and used his magic to turn the rest of Mane 6 into their "element of disharmony", she had never given up on them.

-She sacrificed all the alicorn Magic for them in the season 4 finale

There's more to list though

Almost all of those are after she became a princess, we're talking about why she was picked over the others to be the princess of friendship, so before most of those happened.

• Brohoof 1

Almost all of those are after she became a princess, we're talking about why she was picked over the others to be the princess of friendship, so before most of those happened.

All of those also show that she is a worthy princess and all the good effects that came from her being one.

Twilight's the princess of friendship because that's what she chose to become. She said it herself in Twilight's Kingdom Part 2, that spreading friendship across Equestria is a role she chooses to have. It's not some divine title that means she's the perfection of friendship or anything or even that she needs to be the best, it just refers to how her, likely all self-appointed, duties involve helping and solving friendship-related matters.

Edited by Marimo

Deserving may be a strong term here, but Twilight is the only one who can define the title and who she is through her decisions and actions. Just because she has made her share of mistakes along the way does not make her any less worthy of such a title,

Edited by UnknownFry