Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I Have to Find A Way (Event Horizon's Remix)

Event HoriXZ0n

Okay. 

The one thing you've gotta remember is the root genre of the song. I don't think EDM went with it. It took away from the song's original mood. This song presented Twilight with not knowing what to do about her friend's cutie marks. The EDM feel kinda destroyed that feeling, especially the percussion. I would completely take away the electronic beat because as I said before, it takes away from the original emotion and feel of the song. 

For some reason, your violins have a little too much high end. Add a little bit of midrange and low-end to give them that depth they need. I would also suggest adding a dab of reverb to give it a more atmospheric sound. 

Your leads were ok. However, the plucked leads added unnecessary attack, meaning that the pads running behind the plucked leads, were impacted negatively. I would honestly not used plucked leads for this song, as it's just too mellow of a song to have them. The least you can do is have a sawtooth pad instead of a sawtooth lead. A sawtooth pad is sharp, but it's decay time is longer and it's attack is not as harsh. By having more pads, this induces the mood you're looking for in this song.

For the piano, I would unblock chords instead of block them (meaning play the notes of the chord all at once). This way, it can give the piece a more "classical" type of feel. Even though the original had a mellow pop-ballad percussion drive in the "Losing promise" part, I wouldn't keep the piano repeating those chords. it would be best if the piano was performing arpeggiated (broken up) chords to hone in on the feel of the piece. 

In addition, you kept on repeating the "Oh why?" part many times with little to no variation in the actual melody. Adding a soft mellow run through that part would give this a little flavor, as it started to run dry and become stale after repeating for a while. 

All in all, this remix could use a ton of work, I'm here if you need me to clarify anything I said in my critique. 

Edited by C. Thunder Dash

I'm glad you put a lot of thought into it and trusted me with your critique but honestly it came out exactly as I wanted; the point of a remix is not to keep the original mood of the song, really have you heard remixes before?

If you listen to other remixes of this song, they repeat the "Losing Promise" and it winds up making the entire thing awkward since the entire quality changes and now they have to deal with... I dunno what it was I think IV-vi chords without even touching the I chord and people DO NOT know what to do with that part.

Keeping the "Oh why" V-I preserves simplicity as well as the quality purity of the mood, a good standard for EDM.

Addressing the violins, that might be your headphones because they came out just fine. Any more cut of the high ends and they would have sounded even less authentic... after all you don't listen to live instruments with the high frequencies cut off.

Not sure how to address the piano thing, that's really a matter of preference.

Edited by Event_Horizon

I'm glad you put a lot of thought into it and trusted me with your critique but honestly it came out exactly as I wanted; the point of a remix is not to keep the original mood of the song, really have you heard remixes before?

If you listen to other remixes of this song, they repeat the "Losing Promise" and it winds up making the entire thing awkward since the entire quality changes and now they have to deal with... I dunno what it was I think IV-vi chords without even touching the I chord and people DO NOT know what to do with that part.

Keeping the "Oh why" V-I preserves simplicity as well as the quality purity of the mood, a good standard for EDM.

Addressing the violins, that might be your headphones because they came out just fine. Any more cut of the high ends and they would have sounded even less authentic... after all you don't listen to live instruments with the high frequencies cut off.

Not sure how to address the piano thing, that's really a matter of preference.

Yeah...I know what remixes are. The thing is, there are just some genres that don't match the mood of the song. When I make remixes, I make sure that even if I'm doing electronic stuff, I make sure to stay within that mood. To me, it's a lot more fun when it comes out that way. I just felt a little uneasy when listening to your remix, because the original emotion of the song was distorted by the dance beat...

And the chords for the "losing promise" are V-vi-IV. 

Perhaps then, instead of feeling uneasy, and listening in the context of the original song, you would find yourself enjoying it more without context at all?

Again, I thank you for the critique, and I'm super grateful you listened to it. I'm not ignoring what you said, I'm just finding it to be preference, especially since you try to match the mood, which was not what I was going for.

Perhaps then, instead of feeling uneasy, and listening in the context of the original song, you would find yourself enjoying it more without context at all?

Again, I thank you for the critique, and I'm super grateful you listened to it. I'm not ignoring what you said, I'm just finding it to be preference, especially since you try to match the mood, which was not what I was going for.

Well...the thing is I'm classically raised so therefore, I believe in sticking to the normal mood, especially for songs that deal with the sadder side of things. I've listened to the original plenty of times. I've just always thought that remixes of this specific song (and songs like it) should always reflect the mood. 

If you're classically trained then you especially should appreciate the Mozart style piano melody introduction accompanied by J.S. Bach style left hand bass.

What do you play, btw?

Piano, and I totally appreciate that. I've done classical remakes in styles of composers fused with mine. I love that syncopated piano intro.  

Sammmeeee; I've not practiced in like a few months though I've been too busy doing this music production mojo. In any case, again thanks for listening. You're the first to give me any feedback, so I'm appreciative.

You have a YouTube channel?

Sammmeeee; I've not practiced in like a few months though I've been too busy doing this music production mojo. In any case, again thanks for listening. You're the first to give me any feedback, so I'm appreciative.

You have a YouTube channel?

Yeah, check my profile. It's there. 

Well...the thing is I'm classically raised so therefore, I believe in sticking to the normal mood, especially for songs that deal with the sadder side of things.

Not necessarily mandatory depending on the remix style you're trying to go for.

For example,

vs.

Anyways...

I really like the ideas on the song, I think that the concepts developed were well versed and executed to good effect. I'd suggest writing more idiomatically for the instruments, however. The soundfonts sound odd at times for me... Also focus on mixing, I think you have a good composition but your mixing could be better.