Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler How Did Starlight Glimmer Get So Powerful?

Shanks

SPOILERS

It would've been nice to see a more lengthy flashback showing how Starlight became so powerful. That would have been interesting. And I thought her motivation in the end was pretty weak. She loses one friend who she doesn't bother to contact and then she goes mad with power? Also, all that buildup to an anticlimactic ending. I don't think Starlight should've been redeemed. Yet another villain given a rushed reformation and instant forgiveness. Are Chrysalis and Tirek going to be everyone's best buddy next season? I was hoping she would use the time travel to unite all the villains against Twilight. That would've been epic.

Remember Regular Show's episode exit 9B? I think that was something the S5 finale should have been similar to. I know Regular Show is a comedy, but that episode was focused.

I believe that making Starlight Glimmer as powerful as Twilight is something strange.

It is true that Twilight was able to face down Tirek, but that was only because she had the power of the other princesses to amplify her own. Remember Tirek drained even Discord so without that power boost Twilight would not have stood a chance. Twilight may represent magic directly, but we must also remember that her alicorn transformation was a more recent development in the series and that she is not as powerful as Celestia and Luna yet though might be as powerful as Cadence or if not is at least getting close to it. Also we have heard many references throughout the series to Starswirl the Bearded who when he was alive was likely more powerful than Twilight is now as he was able to perform magic that is either known to very few (Canterlot Archives) or may even be lost to history completely.

Remember Tirek drained even Discord so without that power boost Twilight would not have stood a chance.

That's making the whole thing even stranger and far more complicated :) Both princess Luna and princess Celestia may be more powerful than Twilight is (e.g. they have the power to move the sun and the moon). But keep in mind that neither princess Celestia nor princess Luna was able to defeat Discord. Actually, even Celestia fighting along with Luna couldn't have done it unless they'd possessed the elements of harmony. Hence, we know for sure that Discord is more powerful than Luna + Celestia. We also know the magic of four princesses (when Twilight wielded it) was able to withstand Tirek. Considering the above we can assume that the magic of all of the Equestria ponies (not including alicorns) is at least as strong as the magic of Cadence + Twilight. Of course we may say it's not true since we don't know how the magic, in general, manifests during the fight. But that may only be true only in case of Tirek. Twilight when wielding the magic of the other princesses was pretty good at direct using it during the fight. 

I believe it's fair to say that the show has some weaknesses that cannot be explained rationally. 

Edited by rhizek

I'd like to think Starlight is so strong because her natural affinity is magic cause if you notice something across the board in MLP for the most part...Pony's who are VERY strong in their magic usually get a cutie mark when they display massive magical potential. The best examples of this are Twilight Sparkle and Sunset Shimmer; why you may ask? Let's look at Twilight and how she got her cutie mark for those who aren't in the know

Twilight's Cutie Mark was obtained the day rainbow did her first sonic rainboom and as she tried hard to unlock her magic she couldn't do it until the rainboom startled her and awoke her raw dormant power and with training under Celestia she learned to harness, control and virtually master her magic in all forms practical and combat wise(mostly limited to lasers forcefields and teleporting)

Now in epsiode 26 Starlight shows Twilight how her friend got his cutie mark and it happened when he was trying to protect Starlight from getting crushed by all those books; that single situation put the young colt in a position where he had to use his natural talent as a unicorn(magic) to save the person he cared about most and thus got his cutie mark because his raw talent and magical potential was so great.

For Sunset I imagine Celestia took Sunset under her wing for the same reason as she did Twilight; she saw her raw potential and wanted to help her harness it and remember something Celestia doesn't take personal students often so she had to have picked Sunset for a good reason and rightfully so however the only issue is that Sunset back then was full of herself and didn't know how to actually make friends, now things are different of course.

Starlight most likely got her cutie mark when she discovered her own raw talent for magic but hated having it because it reminded her of how one took her friend away and so to "fix" this, she started her own little town that was free of cutie marks and special talents but over time grew corrupt and cold until Twilight came into the picture and it took not a magic duel to stop her...But friendship to stop her which is the moral of the show anyway. And now that Starlight has accepted true friendship I believe her role will play out similarly to Sunset or maybe they'll do something different. Starlight right now even with a backstory and more development is still shrouded in mystery but only for what the future holds for her as Twilight's friendship student...and might i add the irony there is amazing.

Anyway i'd love to talk about this topic some more and maybe do some theory crafting...we'll see...and as always everypony...

TASTE THE RAINBOOM!!

tumblr_mdq0lm1rYT1rvqp08.gif

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

twilight is the element of magic! she is supposed to have more magical potential than anypony ever! I agree that she isn't as powerful as celestia yet, but that doesn't mean some unicorn should be able to fight her to a draw.

I think the reason starlight was so strong was either (A) magical steroids learned from some of starswirls other spells, or (B) starlights special talent is equalization, as such she can dampen the magic of those she is fighting to a certain degree. this would mean that twilight is stronger in the ways of magic, but starlight was able to dampen her magic enough to make them equal.

Twilight Sparkle did notice how good she was with magic and mentioned it on Cutie Map.

Starlight is good with magic but bad with friends.

Well any unicorn could problayb build up  thier mana to a point starlight did. i mean she was flying using her own magic and didn't even get exhuasted from it. I say that tricker then teleporting for sure. Twlight may read a lot but she doesn't do a lot of pratical work with her magic.(well excluding a few episode wehr she turned one object into a nother), outside of those instances we dont' realy see her pratice tricky magic all that much. Hell the teleport from season one was a mere accident (i'm assuming that was her first time teleporting maybe)

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

She studied just like Twilight Sparkle.

She surely did, but the fight beetwen Starlight (a unicorn)  and Twilight (an alicorn) revealed that alicorns possess the same magic stamina as unicorns. That is weird. Studying is one thing, but magic stamina is something different. If magic was only studying the fight between Twilight (wielding all the alicorn magic) and Tirek had been pointless. 

Edited by rhizek

She surely did, but the fight beetwen Starlight (a unicorn)  and Twilight (an alicorn) revealed that alicorns possess the same magic stamina as unicorns. That is weird. Studying is one thing, but magic stamina is something different. If magic was only studying the fight between Twilight (wielding all the alicorn magic) and Tirek had been pointless. 

No it's more of a difference between magic power but that never determines a fight, that only comes into play when they're locking magic beams against each other like Chrysalis and Celestia did. Being smarter and knowing many spells usually showed how good they were in a fight.

For example even with all the magic power Tirek had he still couldn't use Discord's special abilities or teleport like Twilight. 

Edited by cider float

I don't know why people are upset about an unicorn being as strong as an alicorn? For me I'm glad they showed that being an alicorn didn't mean squat when you're up against a person who want it more than they do. 

As for the question on how Starlight got so powerful....

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 1

Well, first off I want to say hi, everypony! I'm new here to this blog and um, yeah. Anyways since this is the spoilers topic thing, I'm going to start off with this. Starlight Glimmer got really power because Star Swirl the Bearded made a spell but it never worked, because there was something missing. Somehow Starlight Glimmer found the spell read it and understood what had been missing the missing piece was and realized she could use the spell on twilight and her friends, The Mane 6, to get revenge for ruining her "perfect" little village. "He already did the hard part." -Starlight Glimmer

There is nothing in the rules that says there cannot be other powerful unicorns just as good or even better than Twilight Sparkle. Ponies have been shown to have similar or exact copies of cutie marks.

Twilight Sparkle is just better than the common limited Unicorns shown in the series. Against stronger opponents she generally would need a boost from an external source like Elements of Harmony, Friendship Magic, the box, faking, and other Alicorn Princess magic.

Edited by Singe