Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I'd like to see a revisitation of bad timelines...

Unlikeable Pony

Anyways, as the topic says, I'd kind of like it if in either a comic or an other episode (Most probably a comic since I know the show hates to get into depth on stuff like this) they tried to revisit the bad timelines of the cutie remark.

While the plot between Twilight and Starlight was good, it kind of threw out the real payoff of an alternate timeline plot, letting you see and talk to alternate reality versions of the characters, like interacting with alternate Pinkie, fluttershy, rainbow dash, ect.

I honestly don't care about seeing them revisit the concept of a villain altering time, but it'd be cool if they established those timelines existing as a "many worlds" type deal and had the mane six in some way end up back in the alternate timeline and having to help their alternate selves.

(Hell, according to what Discord says in the comics about Time travel altering the past being utterly impossible, it kind of makes it seem like it should almost be canon that they were being just shifted into alternate timelines instead of altering a single time flow)

There's a rich bit of plot potential in having the mane six meet their alternate selves (like Rainbow dash meeting her soldier self from the crystal timeline) and talking to them to have them kind of discuss the differences in their lives.
Plus, the mane six helping their alternate selves succeed in saving their timeline seems like it would be a more epic plot than just talking someone out of childhood trauma XD

I just think closing the book on the timelines we saw without exploring them seems like it was throwing out a vast amount of potential.

• Brohoof 1

If it gets revisited, it should definitely be in a comic, not the show. An entire episode set in a different world, where things have no impact on the universe we usually watch, would be pretty lame.

However, even then, I doubt they could do it well. These timelines are based on war, which means that most of the conflict would have to be resolved through violence. This is the reason why I didn't like Twilight's Kingdom: the ponies usually solve their problems through diplomatic means, having them kick and blast their problems away feels out of place for these characters.

i'd like to see an episode at the turning point where it goes bad leading to said ending

(self promotion)

my thoughts on how said events came about.

These timelines are based on war, which means that most of the conflict would have to be resolved through violence.

Not necessarily - the conflict might be violent, but the resolution of that conflict might not need to be violent itself (wars are usually ended by a peace process after all, even if negotiations are hopelessly one-sided.) Making peace with a clearly malevolent King Sombra to stop a war that was devastating both countries and going nowhere could be really interesting from a moral perspective - what they are and aren't willing to accept for the sake of peace, and similar issues that crop up when dealing with dictators and violently repressive regimes (all very topical, really.) I felt that 'How To Train Your Dragon 2' did it rather well, if you've seen that.

Hiccup is set on making peace with Drago, but is ultimately forced to see that Drago would never accept peace so long as he could take what he wanted.

You're absolutely right that the lack of investment in the results of an alternate universe would be an issue, but as a spin-off it could work. Not that I think that such a spin-off would be made.

However, even then, I doubt they could do it well. These timelines are based on war, which means that most of the conflict would have to be resolved through violence. This is the reason why I didn't like Twilight's Kingdom: the ponies usually solve their problems through diplomatic means, having them kick and blast their problems away feels out of place for these characters.

Well, I see your point about not wanting ultra violence as the solution. but at the end of the day, that's been the go to Solution for the changelings in all of their appearances too in the comics and the show. The changelings were defeated by a magical blunt force explosion-- Powered by Lowed, but still basically just a boot to the face and a "GTFO".

And in the comics everytime they defeated the changelings it was purely due to violence of some sort (twilight godmoding against them or Celestia burning holes into their flesh).

I think a good way to tackle it would be to try and focus on the differences in the Society and the mane six as a group lacking the EOH in their personalities compared to the normal timeline.

Such as have it showed that, while brave, the society of Sombra's timeline really doesn't have the concepts of friendship ingrained into it, and that holding true to those tenants would help them as a society band together to succeed (For example, show lots of business members of society such as Filthy rich and flim and flam being profiteurs who are gouging to live as elites instead of focusing on generosity to serve their nation, ect.)

Or show that the alternate timelines Celestia has the EOH, but that no pony has been able to ignite it since the mane six don't know how to exemplify their elements, and have their "prime" counterparts teach them about it slightly and leave the universe with the war still going on but the implication that the Alternate mane six will grow in learning about the EOH and the concept of friendship and awaken the EOH soon.

Funny thing, IDW is doing this event called Deviations in March where they take some of their properties and explore What If stories of major events (like what if the Shredder led the Turtles). Seems like this would've made for a good excuse to explore one of the timelines or even making up one of its own, but unfortunately MLP wasn't part of the lineup.

Edited by Marimo