Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Steel Accord

So the protagonist of my fanfiction is a zebra OC. I'm trying to keep at least somewhat to the canon of what and how we know magic works in Equestria, but failing that I still don't want to stretch it beyond what's at least feasible.

I have something of an idea that the protagonist's magic be less overt than unicorn magic but less "material" as earth pony magic. Something, dare I say, spiritual. With powers along the lines of visions or astral projection. 

Even if there is no canon precedent for such specifically, does it at least seem generally feasible given the nature of say Luna's dream based powers or that astral space Celestia and Twilight occupied?

Even then, if it's a relatively easy pill to swallow, how would I introduce that concept within the story? The protagonist is still a novice and just discovering this magic.

There is canon precedent for zebra visions: Zecora's See-the-Past Potion. The only other overt zebra magic we've seen was Zecora magically making her tea appear in Magic Duel... transported from "hammerspace", perhaps? There's also Pinkie's hair, so I think you can run with the concept of astral projection, etc.

Perhaps someone your OC knows inadvertently gets sent into an astral space, and he has to go get them? Just a thought...

• Brohoof 1

There is canon precedent for zebra visions: Zecora's See-the-Past Potion.

Ahhhh I had completely forgotten about that. Thank you.

The only other overt zebra magic we've seen was Zecora magically making her tea appear in Magic Duel... transported from "hammerspace", perhaps? There's also Pinkie's hair, so I think you can run with the concept of astral projection, etc.   Perhaps someone your OC knows inadvertently gets sent into an astral space, and he has to go get them? Just a thought...

I'll take it under advisement. 

• Brohoof 1

I shall share you my knowledge of equestrian zebras. from the information I have gathered, the only zebras ever explored by my knowledge where the equestrian zebras which took residents in the Everfree a thousand years ago ( Zecora being the soul survivor) . it's been a while since I read "The Journal of the Two Sisters" but I believe the zebras had subtle forms of magic. most of which where a result in potions that can only be made in the everfree, a secret that remains hidden to pony even today.

• Brohoof 1

I shall share you my knowledge of equestrian zebras. from the information I have gathered, the only zebras ever explored by my knowledge where the equestrian zebras which took residents in the Everfree a thousand years ago ( Zecora being the soul survivor) . it's been a while since I read "The Journal of the Two Sisters" but I believe the zebras had subtle forms of magic. most of which where a result in potions that can only be made in the everfree, a secret that remains hidden to pony even today.

That actually is extremely helpful, thank you.

Zecora's magic mostly seems to be enchantment, she might not be able to lift objects or shoot lasers but she can use it to change things. She can refill an empty cup with a hoofwave, use powder/smoke to create apparitions and seems to have some knowledge of wards/charms given the number of masks (each with its own meaning) and the fact that none of the deadly predators of the Everfree ever attack Zecora or her home.

She can also use enchantments through potions as well using magical plants. One would need to have extensive knowledge of where these pants grow and how to harvest them properly before even considering making some crazy brew with them.

• Brohoof 1