Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Last Pictures' sister, The Last Picture of MLP:FiM

Westj1211

The Poniverse team will launch with a future Echostar satellite into outer space an archival disc created by me  and Trevor Paglen called The Last Picture of MLP:FiM. Made of ultra-archival materials, the disc is expected to orbit the Earth for billions of years affixed to the exterior of the communications satellite. A silicon disc has a photograph of Pinkie beside a giant boulder.

post-37361-0-50024700-1455319441_thumb.png

post-37361-0-36041500-1455319399_thumb.png

The launch of an Echostar satellite into space onboard a ILS Proton rocket:

sig-4368458.sig-4368458.EchoStar_Launch_

Edited by Westj1211

It'll orbit Earth for billions of years?  ...I'm finding it hard to believe that no future civilizations on Earth will ever find reason to clear out Earth's orbit at any point the next few billion years.  Wouldn't it be better to have it orbiting Neptune or something like that?

Don't get me wrong; the idea of archiving the awesomeness we've seen over the last five and a half years is a wonderful thing, but I'm not sure about this choice of methods...I feel like the only way a future civilization could really understand it would be for them to see it for themselves.

(edited)

It'll orbit Earth for billions of years?  ...I'm finding it hard to believe that no future civilizations on Earth will ever find reason to clear out Earth's orbit at any point the next few billion years.  Wouldn't it be better to have it orbiting Neptune or something like that?

Don't get me wrong; the idea of archiving the awesomeness we've seen over the last five and a half years is a wonderful thing, but I'm not sure about this choice of methods...I feel like the only way a future civilization could really understand it would be for them to see it for themselves.

Well, No. At that time, Earth will have no atmosphere because of the sun. The solar star will be a red giant and will burn up the earth's surface.

And the only way to do this, is launch a satellite containing a picture from an MLP:FiM episode

Here's the death of the sun:

And here's an example mission profile:

And here's the Proton-M (UR-500) rocket lifting off from Kazakstan:

Edited by Westj1211

I think the point is that there will be a picture of Pinkie Pie orbiting Earth. That's pretty cool.

• Brohoof 1

Yes. Thank you for correcting me. We shall not forget the boulder.

Thank you. And it will be either SS/L's SS/L-1300 satellite, or Airbus's (formerly Astrium's) Eurostar E3000 satellite that'll be constructed in the future..

• Brohoof 1

I'm pretty sure if aliens found this in the next few billion years, they would think that Earthlings are a bunch of colourful talking horses.

Yeah, besides us humans. I'm pretty sure if aliens found "The Last Pictures" on Echostar 16 in the next few billion years, they would think that us Earthlings are a bunch of advanced, bipedal, sapient, and powerful beings.

Edited by Westj1211