Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation Why is traditional animation dead?

TheMarkz0ne

While it is still thriving in television series such as Gravity Falls and Steven Universe, I do miss 2D animated films in american theaters.\

I honestly prefer the look of them to that of CGI films.

Hopefully at least the style used in the Paperman short will be used for a full length feature sometime soon, because I really love that style.

And if we can't get 2D films in theaters anymore, might as well go with the next best thing.

(edited)

You know that MLP is animated in Flash, right?

Yes i know. I also stated multiple times on this side, that i personally prefer every Mlp Generation Style ( except this two horrible shorts ) over G4 and that i find the drawing Style to look ugly in some perspectives.

I just dislike the Flash Style, for my personal taste, its way to simplistic and it just makes me miss traditional animation...

Flash is already a program which makes animation cheaper and easier to produce, but it seems that Studios also make the most simplistic and easy style to draw characters, so that they can save even more Money and make it even easier to produce something, which i simply find lazy.

I wish, Flash would have never happened.

Edited by Supergirl Rarity

• 10 months later...

I do not believe that the 2d animation is dead. If it was, why is Disney still working on Me and My Shadow? And MLP is hand drawn on a tablet as well. So 2d animation is not dead, but it can be in the future.

(edited)

I would love to see hand drawn animation come back, but I feel that film production wise, it should be done on Cintiq tablets instead of paper. Let's face it, with programs like Toon Boom Harmony and TVPaint, it makes production for frame by frame animation a lot easier.

Edited by vgmaster9

• 10 months later...

Traditional animation isn't dead at all, and in fact traditional animation courses are actually getting more popular in Art schools.

The animations for the most part are hand-drawn before they get fed into the computer programs, as they offer control of the facets of the animation, and they also help with special effects and things of that nature. In fact every animator is trained in traditional animation before they actually become an animator.

The real problem is that some of the charm and individuality of the animations themselves are lost when put into the program, because it ends up making animations look more uniform. Nonetheless, the hand-drawing is still there. If it weren't everything would look like Teen Titans Go or Powerpuff Girls 2016.

Because it is hard to do it the way they did in the past. It takes time and money, with technology it costs less and less time. There probably still are some who does it traditionally, Studio Ghibli stills keeps it at its core don't they?

• 2 weeks later...

cost and time are key factors in it. You need a lot of manpower to do the old hand drawn cell animation.

technically.... hand drawn animation exists but its using digital software and graphic tablets. There are some dire 2D animations out there where its just flash used to move shapes around the screen (Peppa Pig for one). They just have rigs instead of redraw every character.

Sadly CGI has become really cheap and a cost cutting way to produce cartoons, adverts and games. The cheapo ones dont require much in the way of artist and design talent. Can you use a computer? then yes we'll hire you to move/program this character's finger. >.>

I really hope we get a revival in animation, because youtube is full of students and hobbyists who animate for fun and for the love of keeping the old techniques alive. Maybe one day one of those animators will bring back 2D animation on the big screen. (Im excluding MLP in this as we are all aware of it)