Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

books Animorphs

Lucky Star

About a week ago this series popped into my head and for some reason I searched the internet for it to see what I could fine. I remember having like one book from the series when I was a kid but never reading the rest. 

I ended up finding a forum where if you make an acount and make at least five post, you can download like every single book in the series. 

Now I'm finally reading them, and I gotta say it's been really awesome so far. I've been pondering the possibility of a pony crossover. Like have something similar to what happened in these books happen in Equestria. hehe. 

If you've never heard of them, here's the plot summery. I snagged in from the Wikipedia

The story revolves around five humans, Jake, Marco, Cassie, Rachel, and Tobias, and one alien, Aximili-Esgarrouth-Isthill (nicknamed Ax), who obtain the ability to transform into any animal they touch. Naming themselves "Animorphs" (a portmanteau of "animal morphers"),[4] they use their ability to battle a secret alien infiltration of Earth by a parasitic race of aliens resembling large slugs, called Yeerks, that take humans as a host by entering and merging with their brain through the ear canal. The Animorphs fight as a guerilla force against the Yeerks, led by Visser Three.

The Animorphs carefully protect their identities; the Yeerks assume that they're a strike force sent by the Andalites, the alien race that created the transformation technology, and to protect their families from Yeerk reprisals, the Animorphs keep up the facade. Over the run of the series, the pretense becomes harder to maintain; the Yeerks grow more cautious and dedicate more time and resources to capturing the 'Andalite bandits'.

Though the Animorphs can assume the form of any animal they touch, there are several limitations to the ability: they can only stay in animal form for two hours, or they will be unable to return to human form. Also, the process requires some level of concentration to prevent the animal's natural instincts from overwhelming the human intellect.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

OMG Animorphs was my child hood. They were the only books I really enjoyed reading because after I finished I would flip the pages to see the character morph into their animal. Oh, and dont even get me started on the TV series.

• Brohoof 2

I read a good % of the series growing up. I only owned a few so I had to borrow the rest from the local library. This made it tricky to get the books in chronological order since my selection was always based on what was there each time I went. I am definitely going to that site!

Side note:

When I first started reading, I had never seen the name Tobias before, so I mentally pronounced it Toe-bee-us. It wasn't until I saw an episode of the tv series and heard them say "Toe-by-ess" that I figured it out. I thought they were wrong, but then again, I later did the same thing with Hermione from Harry Potter (I was one of the many that referred to her as "Her-me-own" up until Rowling acknowledged this pronunciation error was so widespread that she incorporated the situation into Hermione's interaction with Hagrid's half-brother, Grawp in The Order of the Phoenix. Haha

• Brohoof 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IfboJUVBI8

IT'S ALL IN YOUR HANDS

HOLD ON

HOLD BACK THE DARKNESS

These books were the shit when I was a kid, and I'd love to go back and check them out again sometime to see how they held up. Some parts I remember were... not what you'd expect to see in a children's series ^_^.

As a side thingy, a few years ago I picked up some framed pictures of red-tailed hawks to put in my room because they reminded me of Tobias :)

• Brohoof 1

Loved it, loved it, loved it! Seriously one of my favorite books growing up. One of the things I loved was how violent it was. I mean it wasn't gratuitous but it didn't hold back exactly how alpha predators or other mega-fauna with the human brain in the driver seat would mutilate their enemies. Ditto for the dracon beams and other weapons. No "G.I. Joe family friendly lasers" in this war!

Another thing that basically ruined me for Star Trek and similar? The aliens were actually, you know, alien! The closest we got to "humanoid" were the Hork-Bajir and only because they have two arms, two legs, are bipedal, and with a head on a torso. Other than that, the Taxxons, the Yeerks, the Iskoort, Hell they don't even sound like they are from Earth let alone how some only barely have a comparable counterpart in ANY life on Earth.

You know it almost kind of reminded me of Half-Life in a lot of ways. Alien invasion of Earth, underdog (sometimes literally) human resistance with one or two advanced weapons along with the assistance of friendly aliens (the Chee = Vortigaunts), and the already massive space conflict just being the backdrop to a greater conflict of beings beyond time and space (The Ellimist = G-Man). Just that it kind of starts with a familiar "alien invasion" setup but then uses that as a springboard for spinning off into other sci-fi subgenres such as Space Opera, time travel, even a little cyberpunk espionage.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IfboJUVBI8

IT'S ALL IN YOUR HANDS

HOLD ON

HOLD BACK THE DARKNESS

These books were the shit when I was a kid, and I'd love to go back and check them out again sometime to see how they held up. Some parts I remember were... not what you'd expect to see in a children's series ^_^.

As a side thingy, a few years ago I picked up some framed pictures of red-tailed hawks to put in my room because they reminded me of Tobias :)

If you want to go back and check them out, there is a link to a forum where you can download them.

all you gotta do is make five posts to gain access to them

Ah, I remember Animorphs.... used to enjoy it so much.

Now? I see the issues the series has. Like the vast majority of it being ghost-written, and certain stories being repeated, and this means I can no longer enjoy it the way I used to.

It's a shame, really. I wish I could still enjoy it. Kudos to all of you who can still enjoy it.

Animorphs is one of the best series I've ever read. Some of the books really didn't make any sense whatsoever, but for the most part I think it was really well written and inventive. Not to mention the fact that the later books were really intense as the war escalated.

Ah, so much nostalgia being brought up in this thread. Many fond memories of spending summer days in the library reading these books. I think I only got to around book five, but I really enjoyed them. The stories were excellant, since I can still remember a lot of them now, four or five years later. All the alien races were so real to me, so fleashed out. It even influenced my taste in scifi with lasting effects; to this day, I still draw insiration from it.