Traditional art question

Veil

So first I sketch with regular pencil. Then I outline it with a black pencil and color it in. I'll post a visual example to help out.

Yes my pencil sketch is really hard to see I draw light cause I black pencil over it.

So the question. Is there a better alternative to the black pencil? I just feel like the black lines get to thick and don't look as smooth.

You use a HB pencil for sketching right?

Try using a different pencil. I suggest H4 or H5

I learned something new today, thank you. I'll have to get a better pencil for sketches.

I still need the main question answered however. Is there a better alternative to a black colored pencil for outlining the drawing after its been sketched?

In traditional art, after I have drawn in pencil, cleaned up with image to get rid of the sketch lines, i go over the outline that I want with  'pigment liner pen'. they come in a variety of sizes from 0.05mm to 0.8mm and give a crisp clean outline. I then remove all pencil lines with a rubber and finally color in.

these are the ones that i use

http://www.staedtler.co.uk/en/products/ink-writing-instruments/fineliners/pigment-liner-308-fineliner/

though there are several other makes on the market.

• Brohoof 1

Using a different pencil OR an ink liner are great ways to go. If you still lack confidence in your line work pencil is a bit more forgiving but don't be afraid to goof up. Remember-you can always draw a new image. You're going to make mistakes. Don't be afraid of them. They'll help you learn. I know I'm not offering much technical advice but the mental aspect of your art is every bit as important as what you use to draw. Being kind to yourself, believing in yourself and accepting mistakes and learning from them are important tools to utilize as well. 

Art is a skill. The more you do it the better you'll get so keep at it! 

• Brohoof 1

In traditional art, after I have drawn in pencil, cleaned up with image to get rid of the sketch lines, i go over the outline that I want with  'pigment liner pen'. they come in a variety of sizes from 0.05mm to 0.8mm and give a crisp clean outline. I then remove all pencil lines with a rubber and finally color in.

these are the ones that i use

http://www.staedtler.co.uk/en/products/ink-writing-instruments/fineliners/pigment-liner-308-fineliner/

though there are several other makes on the market.

Using a different pencil OR an ink liner are great ways to go. If you still lack confidence in your line work pencil is a bit more forgiving but don't be afraid to goof up. Remember-you can always draw a new image. You're going to make mistakes. Don't be afraid of them. They'll help you learn. I know I'm not offering much technical advice but the mental aspect of your art is every bit as important as what you use to draw. Being kind to yourself, believing in yourself and accepting mistakes and learning from them are important tools to utilize as well. 

Art is a skill. The more you do it the better you'll get so keep at it! 

Thx guy's. This is really helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

When I draw, I usually use a regular #1 or #2 pencil and get as loose as I can. After I've gotten the image they way I like it, I put the paper on an Artograph Light Tracer Light Box and trace it onto a new piece of paper where I do the cleanup. This way I can draw freely without worrying about making mistakes, and I can keep just the good stuff afterward.

For B&W drawings I use Wolff's Carbon Pencils in B, 2, 4 & 6. 

• Brohoof 1