What do you think will happen before 2035?

Anneal

Future Views  

49 users have voted

1. 1. What is your view of the future?

• Very Positive
    • Positive
    • Slightly Positive
    • Moderate / Neutral
    • Slightly Negative
    • Negative
    • Very Negative
    • Other (write in post)

In 2035, Brazil will look like current 2016 U.S.A... I hope. Hype!

I'm not sure how developed Brazil will be in 2035, but it'll certainly be a world economic power by then. Brazil right now doesn't look like much (especially since it's in a hard hit economic recession, it still has high crime rates, income inequality, and the Amazon is being cut down at a very alarming rate), but Brazil is already fairly big in the economic sphere and can be expected to grow to the fifth biggest economy by the 2030s (and possibly fourth around the 2050s).

Around the 2030s, the BRICS will beat the G7 in terms of GDP, which is a good sign that Brazil will be one of the countries that will continue to develop (but not without facing massive problems as I have stated before). Brazil will mostly be a quiet country as complicated issues go on in Eastern Europe, Northern Africa, Southern Asia, and the Middle East.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Today is the greatest time to be alive (so far) We're progressing slowly but we are always progressing.

Just think of what has happened in 100 years:

Interracial marriage wasn't legal in America until 1967, the fact that a white person and a black person couldn't marry before sounds bloody ridiculous today.

If this was the 1980's none of us would be communicating on here. The internet was unrecognisable back then. The fact that I am communicating with people the other side of the world is amazing. The internet in 2035 will probably be amazing.

We only discovered penicillin in 1928. Medicine is too progressing and I'm sure we'll discover more life saving drugs in the future.

I voted for my local council a few days ago, women couldn't even vote until 1918. My view and opinion would have been meaningless back then.

2035 isn't THAT far away so I can't imagine that an awful lot of things will change by then but there will be change, mostly for the better.

Obviously there are things that still need changing, the world is nowhere near perfect but we're heading in the right direction.

Edited by Kayleigh

I voted that the future will be very positive. That doesn't mean that I think that there aren't any problems, but I think that the progress we will make will far outweigh those problems.

By 2035 self-driving electric cars will be mainstream. Virtual reality will be much more sophisticated, even if we will not be able to achieve it in comercial products by directly influencing the brain (Yet! That will come later). Artificial intelligence will have advanced to the point where it is almost on par with human intelligence thanks to neural networks and a deeper understanding of the human brain. Cancer will be a lot more treatable, and have a significantly higher survival rate. Robots will perform surgery, thus significantly increasing survival rate, since when these robots do make a mistake, all robots will just be patched to avoid to make the same mistake again (the same thing applies to self-driving cars). Drones will deliver packages, and be used by various industries, such as farming, mining, forestry and the police. A manned Mars mission will occur during this decade, likely by a private company (like SpaceX). We will have several space stations, most privately owned by companies, and inflatable (like those from Bigelow Aerospace). Space will still remain somewhat exclusive, but far more people will be able to go to space.

The two most obvious problems for the future I see is that surveillance will increase significantly, and since AI will replace a lot of jobs (mostly white collar jobs), there will be a lot of unemployment. This will however be on a large scale, happen gradually and it will be very clear long beforehand that we will be heading in this direction. Therefore various interventions will be put in place in time to counter this.

By 2035 self-driving electric cars will be mainstream. Virtual reality will be much more sophisticated, even if we will not be able to achieve it in comercial products by directly influencing the brain (Yet! That will come later). Artificial intelligence will have advanced to the point where it is almost on par with human intelligence thanks to neural networks and a deeper understanding of the human brain. Cancer will be a lot more treatable, and have a significantly higher survival rate. Robots will perform surgery, thus significantly increasing survival rate, since when these robots do make a mistake, all robots will just be patched to avoid to make the same mistake again (the same thing applies to self-driving cars). Drones will deliver packages, and be used by various industries, such as farming, mining, forestry and the police. A manned Mars mission will occur during this decade, likely by a private company (like SpaceX). We will have several space stations, most privately owned by companies, and inflatable (like those from Bigelow Aerospace). Space will still remain somewhat exclusive, but far more people will be able to go to space.

AI still has a ways to go even after two decades time and is still a bit far away to be used for dynamic occupations such as surgeons or therapists. I can see non-AI robots being used to perform surgery through the control of surgeons, but it's still very far away from acting autonomously in the medical field (which is why the medical and military field may be the very last fields out of the rest that will be majorly automated).

SpaceX and other private space companies aren't going far enough to fund their own missions, however; a manned Mars mission (including R&D) will cost at the very least $100 billion, which is still a very heavy toll for government space programs, let alone private space companies. SpaceX, Virgin Galactic, and several more have also not spoken about it, so the first manned mission to Mars will very certainly be government-backed space programs like ESA and NASA. We might get a few space stations built by private companies, but most will still be government-owned...and space tourism is still very costly (need to cough up a few millions USDs there even in the future).

Asteroid mining is going to grow quickly, though...and the next big issue of space exploration will be the massive amount of space debris that is orbiting Earth and is now on a much more frequent basis damaging satellites. There needs to be a way to clean up that mess (though unfortunately we probably won't have any way in the near future).

2034, just a hunch though.

Why not 2036?

What will happen: Gay Marriage will be legal in most places around the world, every artist before the 70s will be dead, self-driving cars will be the norm, North Korea and Cuba will be a democracies

What won't: The Browns winning a super bowl

AI still has a ways to go even after two decades time and is still a bit far away to be used for dynamic occupations such as surgeons or therapists. I can see non-AI robots being used to perform surgery through the control of surgeons, but it's still very far away from acting autonomously in the medical field (which is why the medical and military field may be the very last fields out of the rest that will be majorly automated).

We already have working autonomous AI surgeons (presumably you need to start them and tell them what to do first, but still autonomous and flexible). There was recently an article about an AI surgeon capable of operating soft tissue (much more difficult than with bone). This was done on pig carcasses first, but they also did some surgery on live pigs. I think it currently took about 40 minutes to perform an operation that would take about 8 minutes for an experienced human surgeon, so there is still some ways to go, however.

As for AI in general: We have just in the last few years made huge leaps. Neural networks have already made AI much more human-like in it's way of thinking (image recognition, for example. That's something VERY impressive, even if it's currently imperfect). Neural networks is not a new technology, but it's just recently that we have started to develop them more seriously, and we are already seeing extraordinary results.

SpaceX and other private space companies aren't going far enough to fund their own missions, however; a manned Mars mission (including R&D) will cost at the very least $100 billion, which is still a very heavy toll for government space programs, let alone private space companies. SpaceX, Virgin Galactic, and several more have also not spoken about it, so the first manned mission to Mars will very certainly be government-backed space programs like ESA and NASA. We might get a few space stations built by private companies, but most will still be government-owned...and space tourism is still very costly (need to cough up a few millions USDs there even in the future).

SpaceX have spoken about it, and are already preparing for it. In just a few years (I think it was 2018) they intend to launch an unmanned Dragon capsule (named "Red Dragon") to Mars and land it. It's a tight schedule, so I'm a bit sceptical. But still it shows that they have their aim set on Mars, and that they have come a surprisingly long way.

And a suborbital trip with Virgin Galactic will just cost around $250 000. Now, that's not comparable to an orbital trip, but technology develops rapidly, and notice how much space technology have developed recently now that private companies are getting involved. SpaceX have already demonstrated ways to reduce launch costs, and I don't doubt that private companies will continue to make spaceflight cheaper and cheaper. Especially if they start to develop hybrid SSTO vehicles instead of just pure rockets.

Asteroid mining is going to grow quickly, though...and the next big issue of space exploration will be the massive amount of space debris that is orbiting Earth and is now on a much more frequent basis damaging satellites. There needs to be a way to clean up that mess (though unfortunately we probably won't have any way in the near future).

Funnily enough, I'm pessimistic where you are optimistic. Asteroid mining requires advanced and expensive infrastructure in space, either where the asteroids are (if we mine them there) or near Earth (if we bring them here before mining them). It will happen eventually, but not anytime soon.

We already have working autonomous AI surgeons (presumably you need to start them and tell them what to do first, but still autonomous and flexible). There was recently an article about an AI surgeon capable of operating soft tissue (much more difficult than with bone). This was done on pig carcasses first, but they also did some surgery on live pigs. I think it currently took about 40 minutes to perform an operation that would take about 8 minutes for an experienced human surgeon, so there is still some ways to go, however.

As for AI in general: We have just in the last few years made huge leaps. Neural networks have already made AI much more human-like in it's way of thinking (image recognition, for example. That's something VERY impressive, even if it's currently imperfect). Neural networks is not a new technology, but it's just recently that we have started to develop them more seriously, and we are already seeing extraordinary results.

SpaceX have spoken about it, and are already preparing for it. In just a few years (I think it was 2018) they intend to launch an unmanned Dragon capsule (named "Red Dragon") to Mars and land it. It's a tight schedule, so I'm a bit sceptical. But still it shows that they have their aim set on Mars, and that they have come a surprisingly long way.

And a suborbital trip with Virgin Galactic will just cost around $250 000. Now, that's not comparable to an orbital trip, but technology develops rapidly, and notice how much space technology have developed recently now that private companies are getting involved. SpaceX have already demonstrated ways to reduce launch costs, and I don't doubt that private companies will continue to make spaceflight cheaper and cheaper. Especially if they start to develop hybrid SSTO vehicles instead of just pure rockets.

Funnily enough, I'm pessimistic where you are optimistic. Asteroid mining requires advanced and expensive infrastructure in space, either where the asteroids are (if we mine them there) or near Earth (if we bring them here before mining them). It will happen eventually, but not anytime soon.

I know companies like Google are trying to automate surgery as well, but I still don't think it's very feasible, especially because autonomous robots still have issues adapting to rapidly changing conditions and are more favorable for repetitive tasks or direct information (which makes the travel agent or factory worker far more easier to replace than a psychologist or a police officer). We are making very impressive leaps in robotics indeed, but I don't think it's as fast as you claim it is.

And I still don't think private space companies can actually hit manned missions yet. Even picking astronauts and training them is a massive drain on funds (and the choices are even narrower unless these companies can negotiate something with the military). That's why unmanned missions are probably going to be the only thing private space companies can do for now, because they are many times cheaper (no need to train anyone and worry about life support) than manned missions.

SSTO is going to become a reality, though. We're getting a revival in interest on SSTO, I don't think space tourism is going to cut down in prices that quickly, mostly because passengers still need a minimum amount of training and good health before they can actually be seated. It could be affordable to the upper middle class, though.

Also, certain Apollo asteroids are fairly close to the Earth's orbit, which generally means shorter times to transit there and land. The issue is that they're rather small, which would require extremely accurate asteroid detection (we'll need to map asteroids first before we even consider landing on them). Trying to land on it by matching orbits and docking takes far too long; you need to land right into it's sphere of gravitation influence, which is fairly difficult for any asteroid that isn't immediately close to the Earth. The issue isn't really landing on the asteroid for asteroid mining (we can do a manned asteroid mission within a decade, and NASA is already setting up the Asteroid Redirect Mission), it's the time span needed to maintain high profits.

Since we would only have a few years to actually asteroid mine though (the infrastrucure and research for it is sufficient only in the turn of 2030s) it's more likely to be scientific, not commercial. It's not going to be that more expensive than the probes we've launching decently; $3-6 billion at most.

I am cautiously optimistic about the future. I would tell you why, but Best Country said that he does not want this to turn into a debate thread.

I am cautiously optimistic about the future. I would tell you why, but Best Country said that he does not want this to turn into a debate thread.

If it's not related to religion then it should be fine; politics should be treaded on carefully. It's mostly just the former because I have seen how religion vs. atheism debates go on the Internet and 90% of the time they get locked or outright deleted.

If it's not related to religion then it should be fine; politics should be treaded on carefully. It's mostly just the former because I have seen how religion vs. atheism debates go on the Internet and 90% of the time they get locked or outright deleted.

Alright. I'll give it a shot. I am optimistic because I see the overton window shifting away from politically correct censorship, big government, and demographically suicidal "multiculturalism", going back to freedom of speech, individual rights, and nationalism.

The ways of the liberal progressives have been tried and found wanting. Something new is on the horizon, for better or for worse.

• 3 years later...

My prediction:

• America will get into a deep socioeconomic depression.
    • Excessive military spending and intervention will result in us getting isolated from the rest of the world as well as further raise the deficit to at least 40 trillion dollars.
    • The corporate masters of this country will have so brainwashed this country that they will control quite literally everything and not just basically everything.
    • The corruption will get so bad that Social Security benefits will be almost nonexistent, and the top 1% have at least 80% of all the wealth. Plus, tax rates will almost become regressive due to the monetary influence of the rich. Also, the minimum wage will remain $7.25 an hour, but that won't even buy a couple of gallons of milk anymore, anywhere.
    • Just about literally everything you'll hear on the news will be a lie, and not just most things you hear on the news.
    • The unemployment rates will supposedly be the lowest they've ever been, but every other person you know will be out of a job because of automation.

Yeah, be prepared for the next 15 years. It will get really F***ED. I know this may sound more like you'd expect by 2050 or even 2065 on some things, but I can see this all happening within 15 years if we keep going down the path we're going thanks to the corporatocracy that is the Ununited States of American't.