Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Writer Changes and Future of MLP

Plonkett

So basically like every single season? Cause I can give that description to basically every season, though obviously the balance changes.

Basically yeah. I was going to say that as well, for some reason I didn't. Every season has their high and low points, so season 6 is no different.

It also stands out to me that season six was supposedly going to be about 'exploring Equestria', but so far it's been pretty much nothing but locales we've already seen.

Pretty much just false advertising if you ask me.

It's very well understood that no show preserves it's roots the longer it goes on. The writers change, the writers minds change or the writers run out of things to write about so they just inject in a pattern and stick with that the whole time. The longer a show goes on the more it shapes into something completely different. Is it the same show? I say no it isn't it just uses the title. 

I mean though the Final Fantasy series have been good up till number 10, but that's also when it begin to have a decline on it's quality. Final Fantasy is crap now.

I've liked it well enough, it's kept me entertained, and hey, what else is a show supposed to do? Anyway, the season's had it's low points and high points (cough cough Ember cough cough) but overall it has been a good season. Not as good as season five, but better than the earlier ones.

Ok, when I said the season so far is among the weakest, I didn't say it was horrible, I just meant that it wasn't as good as the past two. I still watch the show because I care about the direction it's going. I just don't want to see it ending with a whimper.

(edited)
Ok, when I said the season so far is among the weakest, I didn't say it was horrible, I just meant that it wasn't as good as the past two. I still watch the show because I care about the direction it's going. I just don't want to see it ending with a whimper.

I've seen some people actually think this season is way better than 4, or even 5. I don't really agree because I love 5 and it's my favorite, but I do still like this season. A lot of people also still think season 1 and 2 are the absolute best and that everything after has been worse.

Some also think season 3 was a low point, but still think the show got better again after that. So, even if you personally think this season is weak, there's no saying a 7th season if it were to exist couldn't be better. No guarantee it would be going permanently downhill just because of one "Weak" season.

Even then, I'd personally still take an extra season that's just "Decent" over no season at all. I love this show for what it is, and I understand it's not always going to be at it's absolute "Best", that kind of quality would be really difficult to maintain. It's almost always enjoyable for me, and that's the important part.

Edited by Base
  • Brohoof 1

Season 6 wasn't too bad... People seem to be saying its bad because the first half may be bad for them. I don't need to accept this situation yet.

I've talked about this before, but I really can't believe how hard the show has dropped the ball with the map in S5, AND the "Explore Equestria" theme for this season.

I suspect the gap in time with the map was a calculated decision to place a clever hint about the direction of the back half of the season. Time will tell with that though. If they didn't do what I think they did I'll agree.

The loss of the old writers killed off whatever potential the show has left. It's going to take a miracle for the season to pick back up in the second half, and I'd be shocked if that happened. It's no coincidence that this season is among the weakest after such a great previous season. It's also unsurprising that the new writers are just nowhere near as good, even though there's a couple good episodes. If the season's second half is just as mediocre, it'll be safe to assume that the show has outlived its usefulness.

I don't think its a "The sky is falling" Scenario, but yeah, I don't have much hope for the rest of the season.

The first half was pretty meh, apart from a couple Gems like Saddle and row and Gauntlet of fire (FREAKING HELL, saddle and row, that is one of the best in the show), and there's ZERO meta plot for this season besides "Watch starlight glimmer turn into a New super awesome Seventh mane character! WATCH HER!", and I HATE starlight glimmer.

Now, if they were to turn things around and keep the map episodes good and give them a POINT (Fucking hell is the map meaningless), plus cut out the crap, it could be good. But the thing is, Most of the writers give me VERY little Hope.

Like, the thing is, I probably sound like a broken record, but haber is NOT in ANY way shape or form up the same standards as his predecessors. Like, I have issues with McCarthy's direction for the show, but damned if she could write when the chips were down. Haber just feels like he phones in the stuff or tries to imitate others.

Look at the S5 premier, when Larson was at the helm, and The Finale when Haber was. Starlight went from an INCREDIBLE villain with an interesting agenda and motivation to being a Generic angry revenge villain with Random god mode level magic plot armor, compared to her being a one trick pony in the premier.

Plus, Haber wrote Friendship games, which is TERRIBLE compared to rainbow rocks and is filled with so many plot tumors it should be in a cancer ward.

I would LIKE for the second half to be good, but I have little hope.

• Brohoof 1

Let it burn. It will produce some fine ash. We just need to put our lords back onto their rightful thrones. However, the appropriate metal has yet to be forged into our hungry blades.

For now, let us pump some rum, make a toast, and enjoy the warmth of these futile flames until the darkness claims them.

I suspect the gap in time with the map was a calculated decision to place a clever hint about the direction of the back half of the season. Time will tell with that though. If they didn't do what I think they did I'll agree.

I doubt it myself. I think everyone is reading too much into the map episode being the last one; that's just how the hiatus/episode break has fallen IMO. There's no bigger plan, the map is just kind of going to be "There" as a plot device and nothing more.

(edited)

I don't think its a "The sky is falling" Scenario, but yeah, I don't have much hope for the rest of the season.

The first half was pretty meh, apart from a couple Gems like Saddle and row and Gauntlet of fire (FREAKING HELL, saddle and row, that is one of the best in the show), and there's ZERO meta plot for this season besides "Watch starlight glimmer turn into a New super awesome Seventh mane character! WATCH HER!", and I HATE starlight glimmer.

Now, if they were to turn things around and keep the map episodes good and give them a POINT (Fucking hell is the map meaningless), plus cut out the crap, it could be good. But the thing is, Most of the writers give me VERY little Hope.

Like, the thing is, I probably sound like a broken record, but haber is NOT in ANY way shape or form up the same standards as his predecessors. Like, I have issues with McCarthy's direction for the show, but damned if she could write when the chips were down. Haber just feels like he phones in the stuff or tries to imitate others.

Look at the S5 premier, when Larson was at the helm, and The Finale when Haber was. Starlight went from an INCREDIBLE villain with an interesting agenda and motivation to being a Generic angry revenge villain with Random god mode level magic plot armor, compared to her being a one trick pony in the premier.

Plus, Haber wrote Friendship games, which is TERRIBLE compared to rainbow rocks and is filled with so many plot tumors it should be in a cancer ward.

I would LIKE for the second half to be good, but I have little hope.

I guarantee the finale is going to revolve around Twilight and Starlight, while the rest of the Mane 6/7 get pushed to the side. 

I feel like this season has been lackluster. Maybe the show just isn't for me anymore. 

Edited by VG_Addict
  • Brohoof 1

I guarantee the finale is going to revolve around Twilight and Starlight, while the rest of the Mane 6/7 get pushed to the side. 

I feel like this season has been lackluster. Maybe the show just isn't for me anymore. 

I know its true, but I hate to think about it :(

I know its true, but I hate to think about it :(

Of course, Starlight and Twilight are going to be placed on a pedestal, while the others are useless.

I also don't like how they have to bring up Starlight's past every time she appears. It was funny at first, but now it's just annoying. Say what you want about Discord's reformation, at least they didn't feel the need to constantly bring up his past actions. 

• Brohoof 1