(edited)

If there are still any oldfag XP users out there who feel like they've been left out, fear not. I've noticed XP themes are pretty rare to come by, probably because not a lot of people know how to create them.

Quick preview: Posted Image

PonyStep Light.zip

I have two more in mind for my next projects, I'll get started on them if you think this is a good start.

Edited by Dr.McDoom!
  • Brohoof 4

• 4 weeks later...

you might want to leave some instructions on how to use it for the unknowledged people (aka me).

it looks nice, yes, but i'll be damned if i can figure out how to use it properly. :P

You need to apply an Uxtheme patch in order for Windows to recognize this as an applicable theme: Google is your friend for that.

Then, simply copy the contents of this package to C:WindowsResourcesThemes. Right-click the desktop, go "Properties," and choose the theme from the drop-down menu.

Now, for the main reason why I joined the forums...

Dear Sweet Celestia, the purple! :blink:

@Dr.McDoom!

Keep it up, we XP users need more MLP themes!

(Well, for me, my Virtual XP Machine needs more MLP themes, I may eventually install Windows 7 on another hard drive, but my main OS is Lubuntu Linux. Anyone know of any themes for that?)

(edited)

Instructions? Pretty damn easy; just unpack the zip ANYWHERE, not necessarily in your Windows Themes folder, and run "PonyStep Light.theme" file. Windows XP will automatically launch the Theme Manager and apply it when you click OK. If you have Windows Themes disabled, run "msconfig", go to Services tab, look for Windows Themes and enable the checkbox. In case the .theme file doesn't work, then go to the file "PonyStep LightStylesPonyStep Light.msstyles", and run it; it will only apply the visual style with no wallpaper, sounds, cursors etc.

And yes, @Twi', I'm an oldfag troll and pretty good at it. Need I prove it?

Now I really wish I could get back to finishing the other Pony themes I had in mind, but the owner of my apartment just kicked me out for partying too hard at nights. And until I can resettle, I'll be sleeping in my car for a few weeks. Have patience.

Edited by Dr.McDoom!

• 6 months later...

sorry for necrobumping this thing.

i just recently noticed i still have this theme lying around. while it seems to replace everything properly, all the characters that appears when right-clicking any object won't show up and just displays empty boxes. is this because i'm from Sweden and thus have the Swedish service pack, which the theme might not be compatible with?

any idea what it could be about? @Dr.McDoom!

Edited by Princess Viscra Maelstrom

(edited)

sorry for necrobumping this thing.

i just recently noticed i still have this theme lying around. while it seems to replace everything properly, all the characters that appears when right-clicking any object won't show up and just displays empty boxes. is this because i'm from Sweden and thus have the Swedish service pack, which the theme might not be compatible with?

any idea what it could be about? @Dr.McDoom!

That sounds like something that happens when a custom font that doesn't have multinational characters or aren't correctly placed on the character map is used. But I don't remember using a custom font; if I did, it must have been a font that was present only on some windows systems. Pot a screenshot if needed.

Try this: while the theme is applied, right click on your desktop, select "Properties", go to the "Appearance" tab, click "Advanced" button, and, in the Item dropdown menu select "Selected Items". Then, below it will be the Font dropdown menu. Select "Tahoma" font or any other font that looks good, also, adjust it's size. Click "OK" when done, then click "Apply" on the other window. If the problem is fixed, go to the "Themes" tab and click "Save as..." to save this theme configuration for future use.

Yeah, and I was thinking of getting back to my other two projects, but, y'know, holiday plans and shit; keeps you busy.

Edited by Dr.McDoom!

That sounds like something that happens when a custom font that doesn't have multinational characters or aren't correctly placed on the character map is used. But I don't remember using a custom font; if I did, it must have been a font that was present only on some windows systems. Pot a screenshot if needed.

Try this: while the theme is applied, right click on your desktop, select "Properties", go to the "Appearance" tab, click "Advanced" button, and, in the Item dropdown menu select "Selected Items". Then, below it will be the Font dropdown menu. Select "Tahoma" font or any other font that looks good, also, adjust it's size. Click "OK" when done, then click "Apply" on the other window. If the problem is fixed, go to the "Themes" tab and click "Save as..." to save this theme configuration for future use.

Yeah, and I was thinking of getting back to my other two projects, but, y'know, holiday plans and shit; keeps you busy.

thanks for replying! @Dr.McDoom!

there was indeed no font that were used under Selected Items, hence why there were so many blank text-boxes. not sure if that's the cause of your theme or it is just me. regardless, i'll play around a bit more in this theme and see if it's something that suits my needs or not.

btw, do you still want feedback on this theme? i've noticed a few things that are a bit annoying about it.

Edited by Princess Viscra Maelstrom

• 7 months later...

Thanks for this.  I run Windows 7, but am feeling nostalgic and want to multiboot with XP, and went looking for XP themes and found this.  Looks great, can't wait to use it.  I'd like to see more also, or somepony could point me in the right direction for making some XP themes myself.  Oh, and I apologize for reviving such an old thread....

• 5 months later...

If there are still any oldfag XP users out there who feel like they've been left out, fear not. I've noticed XP themes are pretty rare to come by, probably because not a lot of people know how to create them.

Quick preview: img-342235-1-image1sa.jpg

attachicon.gifPonyStep Light.zip

I have two more in mind for my next projects, I'll get started on them if you think this is a good start.

Hey, sorry for the bump but I just tried downloading this and it says the attachment could not be found. Any way to fix that or a different link you could provide?