Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does such a job exist?

ToridAkbolto

First off, I have read a literal garageful of fiction books. At a rough estimate, I have read almost a thousand different titles by at least 300 authors. I have played a ton of pc games in my life. I have played some of the best and some of the worst. I play way more often than I should, and was wondering if there was a career based around the following concept:

I would like to design content for video games. I have lots of ideas about everything, from storyline to character personalities to sidequests to easter eggs and references. Is there a job where you just come up with creative content for programmers to use, does it pay well, and what is it called, if it does exist?

creative consultant basically, it's the same thing that Lauren Faust is doing for MLP now but for video games. Usually requires you having previous experience in the field... and being very good and highly regarded in said field...

Game Designer is a real job. However it's less "knowing lots of ideas" and more "what makes a game fun".

Literally the mathematics behind why millions of people play Angry Birds, or the governing principles that dictated to the technical design the game balance in Battlefield 3 to be what it is.

Literary Historian is also a real job. But it's about as boring as it sounds and applies to things written more than 10 years ago, which cuts off probably a good 80% of all fan-fiction ever written.

Any storyline has a writer, and video games included! So yes, there are writers for game plots, but I've heard they're not payed well.

Well, that's part of making a game, right? You'd be part of a game design group (the other members would be the programmers, animators, etc).

Game designer and game consultant is what typically comes up when searching those specific areas and salary for those are about 100k$ for experienced people. To be blunt however, not everything is as amazing as it would appear to be if you haven't researched those careers yet.

It is indeed a real job. It is one of two possible careers I will let myself have, the other being an astrophysicist.

If I end up with any other career, I will consider it a failure and I will hate myself for the rest of my life.

Ok, not really ;)