Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do transgender ponies exist?

Cadenza_pone

Hi everypony

If so, how would a stallion look like a mare? And will we see LGBT characters at all? o-o
Big mac tried crossdressing before in the show, but he looked no where near a mare and it seems the ponies knew?

- Jessie

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Cadenza_pone said:

Hi everypony

If so, how would a stallion look like a mare? And will we see LGBT characters at all? o-o
Big mac tried crossdressing before in the show, but he looked no where near a mare and it seems the ponies knew?

- Jessie

Probably some spell that would immediately change their genders.

• Brohoof 1

17 minutes ago, Cadenza_pone said:

Hi everypony

- Jessie

Well, some ponies knew, except that judge apparently that fell in love with Big Mac in a dress.

As to the question of do transgender ponies exist, that's hard to say. I suppose it's possible; they just don't show it in a kids' cartoon.

What would be the point? To wade a children's cartoon into the increasingly caustic pool that is social identity politics? I don't think Hasbro wants or needs anything like that. And adding one now with the 'every creature' line already stirring people up would feel like they're pandering to a loud person base with a token gesture, I don't think there's any legitimate call for it.

13 minutes ago, MidnightFire1222 said:

Well, some ponies knew, except that judge apparently that fell in love with Big Mac in a dress.

As per cartoon rules, a cross dressing character will always be taken to be that gender. I site the case of Bugs Bunny vs. Elmer Fudd.

• Brohoof 3

Although I am of the belief that this sort of thing shouldn't be brought up within the show itself, it is an is an interesting question. Equestrian society is a relatively progressive one that seems more open to tolerating various groups as time goes on. As has been mentioned, the scene of Big Mac in a dress from Season 5 episode 18 shows us how ponies react to such a thing. We should focus more that he isn't called out for his actions rather than how convincing he is because in real life it's still difficult to make yourself look like the opposite sex. Particularly for a male to female transition you'd have to be lucky in having a more feminine frame, might have to undergo reconstructive surgery, and apply make up and so on if you want to be convincing to the general public. That's an immense effort to take on, and Equestria might not even be technologically sufficient to even attempt. But since Big Mac is left alone despite this, it makes me think that trandsgender ponies have a decent chance of being accepted or at least not openly ostracized.

• Brohoof 1

Equestrian society doesn't seem to have a big difference in gender roles.

What I find fascinating about this question is... Would there be any pony who thinks he/she is living in another race's life? What would happen if a unicorn or an earth pony felt like they should've been born as a pegasus?

• Brohoof 1

Who knows, but as others have mentioned, it is not something that should be addressed. It is an issue that transcends the targeted demographic and as such offers nothing but confusion. Even without such restrictions, including specific medical and social issues plaguing a minute section of the population into entertainment tends to be very counterproductive. Go have a documentary.

P.S: Make a pony version of yourself. Make an OC. Nobody is stopping you. Can't say we're loving, but we are fairly tolerant.

• Brohoof 1

On 9/16/2018 at 2:32 PM, Goat-kun said:

Who knows, but as others have mentioned, it is not something that should be addressed. It is an issue that transcends the targeted demographic and as such offers nothing but confusion. Even without such restrictions, including specific medical and social issues plaguing a minute section of the population into entertainment tends to be very counterproductive. Go have a documentary.

P.S: Make a pony version of yourself. Make an OC. Nobody is stopping you. Can't say we're loving, but we are fairly tolerant.

I don't see it happening. The idea of cutie marks implies the idea of a pretty big "destiny" force going on. The show already establishes that things can spontaneously appear on your body to reflect who you are. So, personality already supersedes physicality in MLP, meaning I can't imagine any of them being born in a way that betrays their true self.

If I'm wrong though, I would also take a guess that it wouldn't even be a political issue in their culture, so any attempt to bring up the topic would feel extremely forced.

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian

1 hour ago, shyabetes3939 said:

Well, Rumble is a colt who has the same muzzle shape as an average filly. And he did have a pretty high voice when he first appeared in "Hurricane Fluttershy". I can imagine him being a transgender male.

I think you got the wrong definition of transgender :mlp_huh:. A transgender would be a person who physically changed his/her gender with surgery, not someone who LOOKS and the opposite gender.

Rumble could simply be a colt with an affeminate appearance, and his voice change could be his natural depth of his voice growing-up.

Just now, Steve Piranha said:

I think you got the wrong definition of transgender :mlp_huh:. A transgender would be a person who physically changed his/her gender with surgery, not someone who LOOKS and the opposite gender.

Rumble could simply be a colt with an affeminate appearance, and his voice change could be his natural depth of his voice growing-up.

I was thinking that Rumble could have been in the middle of transitioning when he first appeared. But you do have a point.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/16/2018 at 2:42 PM, DonMaguz said:

What would happen if a unicorn or an earth pony felt like they should've been born as a pegasus?

Pinkie Pie probably

• 6 months later...
On 9/22/2018 at 5:31 PM, LyraLover 💚 said:

I was thinking that Rumble could have been in the middle of transitioning when he first appeared. But you do have a point.

yeah, or he could have been wanting to go the other way around (mtf), and puberty sunk on him like a lead balloon,

Hell, that would be very similar to my case 

• 3 years later...